Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reincarnation; why I don' t believe.

edited April 2011 in General Banter
I’ve noticed with an interest tread: Reincarnation; why I believe.

I find this quite amusing that so many Buddhists think and need a concept of reincarnation.

It seems that many are still stuck with the ‘’self’’.

From novice in Buddhism:

All Buddhists aim to find ‘’non self’’
All Buddhist believe that life is suffering.

Why not to take our DNA as Karma and hope that ‘’our suffering’’ will end with our physical death?

Comments

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    What is non-self?

And if it ends with physical death then why bother being a buddhist?

/Puzzeled

• I find this quite *amusing* that so many Buddhists think and need a concept of reincarnation.

Careful there.

-----------------

Tess - Look inside yourself, imagine ceasing to exist, to percieve, to be concious.

There is no way we can prove rebirth, or the cycle of samsara, but to investigate for ourselves. Some monks have meditated and seen their past lives, and have had realisations on the matter. But who/what is to say that is the truth. We must investiate for ourselves - as the buddha told us to.

• buddhism is about ending suffering.

the trick is to deny and assert.

thus playing the middle way role of just being. neither for or against.

• No bother.

Buddhism has answered many questions on the moral and philosophical level.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Many Buddhist need a concept of reincarnation? Need it for what? For comfort? :)

The goal of Buddhist practice is to get out of the round of rebirths and a lot of sincere practitioners follow the teachings to do that and help others find the same path. Those people don't make rebirth up just because they like the idea, obviously. If they like it, why practice to get out?

Do you really want to live forever?

You can't change your DNA, but you can change your karma. :)

Of course, to each his own interpretation, but I thought I'd explain how it is separate from being stuck with 'self'.

Metta,
    Sabre
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited April 2011
    What is non-self?

/Puzzeled

Hmmmm. Since this thread is specifically about reincarnation, your answer sounds as if you are saying that your ONLY purpose in following Buddhist principles is to support your reincarnation?

Hmmmm. Since this thread is specifically about reincarnation, your answer sounds as if you are saying that your ONLY purpose in following Buddhist principles is to support your reincarnation?
    No I am saying that if there is no life after death then why cultivate buddhism at all?

Buddhism is the path out of samsara and endless rebirth...But without rebirth death is equivalent to nibbana it seems.

/Victor
  • ...if it ends with physical death then why bother being a buddhist?
    Haven't we covered this ground before?

No I am saying that if there is no life after death then why cultivate buddhism at all?

Buddhism is the path out of samsara and endless rebirth...But without rebirth death is equivalent to nibbana it seems.

/Victor
    How about because Buddhism also teaches a moral code that improves the person and society?

...if it ends with physical death then why bother being a buddhist?
    You and I? Several times and at great length and detail.

Hush I am speaking to Tess. I am curios to hear her motivation.

How about because Buddhism also teaches a moral code that improves the person and society?

Why would I care about the person and society if I am gone in 50 years? I am having good fun as it is.

Why would I care about the person and society if I am gone in 50 years? I am having good fun as it is.

Is that a serious answer?
  • Maybe for some it is comforting. However, there have been moments when I think of reincarnation and it scares me because I think "No not again, Not again!" Like that scene in neverending story when the boys are gonna throw him back in the dumpster..
  • ...if it ends with physical death then why bother being a buddhist?
    You and I? Several times and at great length and detail.

Hush I am speaking to Tess. I am curios to hear her motivation.

My motivation?

You can share my confusing... :screwy:

I hope, I will find this tread when I’ll come back. /This site is difficult to follow/.

For now, I have to go but I am looking forward to exchange our ideas.

edited April 2011
    @Fivebells
    cc: Tess

You know (I hope) that I do not think it neccessary to belive in rebirth to cultivate.

But I have to say that the kind of reasoning the OP is making in the first post is from a misunderstanind of Anatta and missunderstanding of the concept suffering.

The first missunderstanding is the literal translation of the term Anatta to mean no self. (Yes I know she wrote non-self but if you follow the use of the concept in the rest of the argument it seems clear she interprets it as no-self. correct me please if i am wrong)

The second misunderstanding is the Suffering. Suffering for 50 to 100 years in the correct understanding of suffering does not have to be unbearable at all and thus is no motivation to Cultivate.

When missunderstaning in this way one can come to the erraneous conlusion Tess has.

From novice in Buddhism:

All Buddhists aim to find ‘’non self’’
    All Buddhist believe that life is suffering.

It should read I think:

All buddhist Aim to attain Nibbana (not non-self whatever that means (I am curios not taunting)).
    All Buddhist believe that Samsara is suffering.

I am open for discussion though.

IMO
    Victor

My motivation?

You can share my confusing... :screwy:

I hope, I will find this tread when I’ll come back. /This site is difficult to follow/.

For now, I have to go but I am looking forward to exchange our ideas.

Yes your motivation for Culitvation?

See you around then
    /Victor
  • Reincarnation as I originally understood it, IMHO is mumbo-jumbo superstition. However, energy is never lost or gained......it is transferred. When we die, our energy is transferred and some of that will ultimately lead to life of another kind.

I think karma is similar.... ill intentions result in negative behaviour and lead to a circle of suffering; good intention will result in the opposite.

Making the link between karma and reincarnation is somewhat more problematic for me !
  • You need to refine your original post. I'm a Buddhist and I don't believe in reincarnation. I believe in rebirth, but it's not the same thing. I don't think I have a "need" to believe it, it's simply a logical outgrowth of the things I have examined. I think I could be a Buddhist even if I didn't (like many don't) believe in rebirth.

Why do you find it "amusing"? Why do you care what others believe? Being amused at the beliefs of others is just your ego's way of making itself superior to them, and therefore justify its own existence and building the wall around itself higher and higher.

• I'm with Victor here. Without some kind of "consciousness-essence" (for lack of a better term) that passes from lifetime to lifetime, there is no need to cultivate and there is no need to be moral. Buddhism therefore becomes an Eastern form of Existentialism at best.

I know somebody tried to explain this to me on another thread, but to be honest, I didn't get it, and I apologize. For me to take responsibility for future karma, there has to be some kind of "consciousness-essence" associated with "me" or there's no reason for me to give a rodent's rear end. Might as well just have a hedonistic good time.

I hope whoever tried to explain that to me on the other thread comes back and does that. I was going to start a thread that said "I still don't get it", but the OP saved me from that.
  • The second misunderstanding is the Suffering. Suffering for 50 to 100 years in the correct understanding of suffering does not have to be unbearable at all and thus is no motivation to Cultivate.
    It's not necessarily our own suffering that is unbearable. It's being aware of other people's suffering that's unbearable. Take a look around the world. Unspeakable suffering happens routinely to entire groups of people, even entire populations. And of course they did nothing to deserve that. It can seem overwhelming.

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I'm with Victor here. Without some kind of "consciousness-essence" (for lack of a better term) that passes from lifetime to lifetime, there is no need to cultivate and there is no need to be moral. Buddhism therefore becomes an Eastern form of Existentialism at best.
    As Mencius pointed out, that is a long way from true virtue. Buddhist practice naturally leads to virtuous behavior, with no need for a Damoclean Sword like painful rebirth to enforce adherence to rules. The pursuit of such virtue is reason enough to practice, because it leads to a peaceful life.
  • You don't have to believe in reincarnation to use Buddhism to benefit your life. I try to be a pretty practical guy. I don't like being superstitious if I think something holds no merit. But very wise people like Ajahn Brahm, and the Dalai Lama believe in reincarnation, yet they also tend to be no nonsense and have a lot of respect for science. So I never say it's absolute, but I do believe there is something to reincarnation and that most likely it exists in one way or another.
  • edited April 2011
    I'm with Victor here. Without some kind of "consciousness-essence" (for lack of a better term) that passes from lifetime to lifetime, there is no need to cultivate and there is no need to be moral. Buddhism therefore becomes an Eastern form of Existentialism at best.
    As Mencius pointed out, that is a long way from true virtue. Buddhist practice naturally leads to virtuous behavior, with no need for a Damoclean Sword like painful rebirth to enforce adherence to rules. The pursuit of such virtue is reason enough to practice, because it leads to a peaceful life.
    That opens up a whole other can of worms for me that would be off topic here. Let's just say that I feel like I have been practicing what I feel is virtue most of my life and I don't feel it's led me to a peaceful life. I know it's not provable, but if I'm not presently burning off old bad karma during these past few years of my life then life would be COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS to me.
  • That's sad. I'm sorry you're having such a tough time.

Difficult times are useful for practice even in the this-life approach, though. My Mum is dying of cancer at the moment, and the grief from that has contributed to my progress immensely over the past few months.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    What is non-self?

/Puzzeled

We bother being a Buddhist because of:

(1) inability of sensual & material pleasures to provide meaningful & lasting satisfaction & happiness in our lives

(2) need to know skilful means in conducting our lives & relationships

(3) need to understand & reconcile the suffering, pain, conflicts & evil (harm) we see in the world

(4) need to be able to cope with sickness, aging & death, of not only our own life but also of love ones

(5) in general, need to bring the mind to a state of peace & joy, thru both understanding & meditation

:-/

It's not necessarily our own suffering that is unbearable. It's being aware of other people's suffering that's unbearable. Take a look around the world. Unspeakable suffering happens routinely to entire groups of people, even entire populations. And of course they did nothing to deserve that. It can seem overwhelming.

I'm glad you said this CW. There are times that Buddhists are criticized for being selfish...caring only about their own enlightenment, and this is a good example of why that is important. After living in Thailand for a while, I was often disappointed that I didn't see more acts of compassion on the part of Buddhists there. The importance of compassion and morality are both also parts of Buddhism, beyond each individual person's quest for an end to suffering.

edited April 2011
    Careful there.

-----------------

Tess - Look inside yourself, imagine ceasing to exist, to percieve, to be concious.

There is no way we can prove rebirth, or the cycle of samsara, but to investigate for ourselves. Some monks have meditated and seen their past lives, and have had realisations on the matter. But who/what is to say that is the truth. We must investiate for ourselves - as the buddha told us to.

There is no need to be careful & there is no rationale presented above. instead, merely blind faith about "some monks have meditated and seen their past lives"

the Buddha encouraged us to penetrate the reality of impermanence so we can accept it

in the scriptures, the arahant monks did not declare seeing their past lives to people

only the buddha was allowed to say such a thing using a certain kind of language to be interpreted by the listener according to their dispositions

it is against the Vinaya (rules) for any monk to declare he has a supernormal attainment

for example, does Ajahn Brahm ever say he has personally seen his past lives?

i doubt it. his faith is as blind as everyone else

:)

• Many Buddhist need a concept of reincarnation? Need it for what? For comfort? :)
    Yes

• edited April 2011
    I'm with Victor here. Without some kind of "consciousness-essence" (for lack of a better term) that passes from lifetime to lifetime, there is no need to cultivate and there is no need to be moral.
    I believe that consciousness is required for the development of the universe. I don't believe that it passes from one lifetime to another. I just feel that what we do here during our short time on earth matters.
    edited April 2011
    The goal of Buddhist practice is to get out of the round of rebirths and a lot of sincere practitioners follow the teachings to do that and help others find the same path. Those people don't make rebirth up just because they like the idea, obviously. If they like it, why practice to get out?
    Your viewpoint is contradictory to me.

If certain Buddhists know "the way out", as you say, then how come they are still here?

The Buddha taught Nirvana, the final goal, is the here & now end of greed, hatred & delusion.

The Buddha taught the goal of the Buddhist practice is the unshakeable freedom of mind.

The ultimate goal of Buddhism cannot be expressed any simplier than this.

People do make up rebirth because they like the idea. The Buddha called it craving for being & the view of existence.

For moral purposes, for unenlightened people, the Buddha said this was a "safe bet" or "safe gamble"

B1. "Now, householders, of those brahmans & contemplatives who hold this doctrine, hold this view — 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves' — it can be expected that, shunning these three unskillful activities — bad bodily conduct, bad verbal conduct, bad mental conduct — they will adopt & practice these three skillful activities: good bodily conduct, good verbal conduct, good mental conduct. Why is that? Because those venerable brahmans & contemplatives see in unskillful activities the drawbacks, the degradation, and the defilement; and in skillful activities the rewards of renunciation, resembling cleansing.

B3. "With regard to this, a wise person considers thus: 'If there is the next world, then this venerable person — on the break-up of the body, after death — will reappear in the good destination, the heavenly world. Even if we didn't speak of the next world, and there weren't the true statement of those venerable brahmans & contemplatives, this venerable person is still praised in the here-&-now by the wise as a person of good habits & right view: one who holds to a doctrine of existence. If there really is a next world, then this venerable person has made a good throw twice, in that he is praised by the wise here-&-now; and in that — with the break-up of the body, after death — he will reappear in the good destination, the heavenly world. Thus this safe-bet teaching, when well grasped & adopted by him, covers both sides, and leaves behind the possibility of the unskillful.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.060.than.html

• I have a question for those who are familiar with the Pali text.
    I know somewhere in there Buddha says tells us to see for ourselves if we agree or not, not follow blind faith. I am curious as the continuation of the text. So he says something like "try these things for yourself to see if they are true" but what comes after that. Does he have any remark like "if you dont agree then I cant help you" or "if you dont agree then just discard that...". Im curious as to how he saw discord with his philosophy.

Shera and Victorious make a common argument Christians make that I think is very superficial. Namely that if you dont believe you will be judged why treat ppl well, why not go out and try to screw everyone over and always seek pleasure. To me that is just a false proposition, I chose and want to be good because that is what I want to be, even if no one will judge me ever and if my life ends and thats it, I would still rather leave a positive mark. If your moral code is solely based on an idea of continuing life or judgment then I think it is that person who has to re-evaluate his stance. I choose to do good, I am not compelled.

I think everyone would admit that a lot of supernaturalism was added to the original Buddhism and ppl still consider that Buddhism, so if some of it is removed why does it stop being Buddhism. In the end its just curious conversation and I do think a lot of you are way too fundamentalist that it has to be one way or another.
    edited April 2011
    I'm with Victor here. Without some kind of "consciousness-essence" (for lack of a better term) that passes from lifetime to lifetime, there is no need to cultivate and there is no need to be moral.
    Immorality causes harm, pain & suffering.

Are you asserting if there was no future life it is OK to murder your family, murder other human beings, steal, rape, lie, take drugs, etc?

Your view expressed does not accord with that of the Buddha. The Buddha said immorality brings harm & suffering, here & now, and morality brings happiness & benefit, here & now.

The Buddha taught people want to be happy, here, now, today!

"'If there is a world after death, if there is the fruit of actions rightly & wrongly done, then this is the basis by which, with the break-up of the body, after death, I will reappear in a good destination, the heavenly world.' This is the first assurance he acquires.

"'But if there is no world after death, if there is no fruit of actions rightly & wrongly done, then here in the present life I look after myself with ease — free from hostility, free from ill will, free from trouble.' This is the second assurance he acquires.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.065.than.html
    "Abandon what is unskillful, monks. It is possible to abandon what is unskillful. If it were not possible to abandon what is unskillful, I would not say to you, 'Abandon what is unskillful.' But because it is possible to abandon what is unskillful, I say to you, 'Abandon what is unskillful.' If this abandoning of what is unskillful were conducive to harm and pain, I would not say to you, 'Abandon what is unskillful.' But because this abandoning of what is unskillful is conducive to benefit and pleasure, I say to you, 'Abandon what is unskillful.'

"Develop what is skillful, monks. It is possible to develop what is skillful. If it were not possible to develop what is skillful, I would not say to you, 'Develop what is skillful.' But because it is possible to develop what is skillful, I say to you, 'Develop what is skillful.' If this development of what is skillful were conducive to harm and pain, I would not say to you, 'Develop what is skillful.' But because this development of what is skillful is conducive to benefit and pleasure, I say to you, 'Develop what is skillful.'"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an02/an02.019.than.html

edited April 2011
    I have a question for those who are familiar with the Pali text.
    I know somewhere in there Buddha says tells us to see for ourselves if we agree or not, not follow blind faith. I am curious as the continuation of the text.
    The text is here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.065.than.html

Also, paragraphs 24 and 25, here:
    http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books9/Bhikkhu_Bodhi_Mahatanhasankhaya_Sutta.htm

Immorality causes harm, pain & suffering.

Are you asserting if there was no future life it is OK to murder your family, murder other human beings, steal, rape, lie, take drugs, etc?

Your view expressed does not accord with that of the Buddha. The Buddha said immorality brings harm & suffering, here & now, and morality brings happiness & benefit, here & now.

The Buddha taught people want to be happy, here, now, today!
    Thank you for posting this.

• So, other than the meditative practice, how is this different from Western atheist existentialism?

Why do the right thing? Because it's the right thing to do. Why is it the right thing to do? Because some supposedly wise man said it is, and I, too, believe that it is the right thing to do.

What I'm seeing in these answers is "because". But if it's all "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing", if it all goes black at the end, it doesn't matter to anyone except those who individually make it matter.

I think it's over on the other thread, the "Why I believe" thread, that Jason posts about a "stream of consciousness" that is not a soul or a solid identity, but passes "like a flame from one candle to another". I can deal with that. That works for me.

Like Western Existentialism, it matters if and only if individuals decide that they want to make it matter, "because they do". Otherwise, as Mick Jagger said, "Paint it Black".
  • Western atheist existentialism is an idea. Meditation is a method for training the mind at a much lower level of cognition. To say "other than meditation" is like saying "other than cheese, pizza is just bread."
    edited April 2011
    Western atheist existentialism is a fallacy.

Most non-rebirthers learned their Buddhism through Asian teachers.

My view is the opposite is true. Rebirth fundamentalism is found in Westerners.

The rigidity of Western thinking, culture & religious roots is reborn in Western Buddhism.
  • Western atheist existentialism is an idea. Meditation is a method for training the mind at a much lower level of cognition. To say "other than meditation" is like saying "other than cheese, pizza is just bread."
    Western atheist existentialism is also a lifestyle that just doesn't include meditation. Kafka. Camus. Sartre. Remember Kafka's "Metamorphosis"? Camus' "Myth of Sisyphus"? Sartre's "No Exit"?

There are plenty of people that have adopted it as a lifestyle. Christopher Hitchens comes to mind, as well as those mentioned above.

But why even bother to meditate?

(Just to add some levity here, I've switched over to mantra and I'm leaning heavily toward Pure Land.)

Jason's quote from the other thread:

"Jason said:

Thus, there can theoretically be continuity between lives without having to posit some type of permanent, unchanging consciousness that travels from life to life. That's why the term vinnanasota or 'stream of consciousness' is often used to describe the flow of conscious experience, even when presented within the context of rebirth."

edited April 2011
    What is more unusual are these Westerners parading on chatsites with Tibetan names

I have never met one Tibetan lama, ever, who has not cheerfully accepted my non belief in rebirth

In fact, I even know a Tibetan lama that does not believe in rebirth himself

The rebirth fundamentalism is primarily Western

A primary difference between Asians and Westerners is a lack of aggression & fundamentalism

• edited April 2011
    "I have never met one Tibetan lama, ever, who has not cheerfully accepted my non belief in rebirth"

I can remember a friend saying to a Tibetan tulku: "I can't accept rebirth beliefs" and the tulku laughed and said " Oh don't worry about other lives, this is the one that's important !"

• What is more unusual are these Westerners parading on chatsites with Tibetan names

I have never met one Tibetan lama, ever, who has not cheerfully accepted my non belief in rebirth

In fact, I even know a Tibetan lama that does not believe in rebirth himself

The rebirth fundamentalism is primarily Western

A primary difference between Asians and Westerners is a lack of aggression & fundamentalism

The circumstances of my Tibetan name are entirely valid, and I don't appreciate the veiled sarcasm. It strikes me as pompous and rude.

I cheerfully accept your non-belief in rebirth. Whatever floats your boat.

I don't appreciate the use of the term "rebirth fundamentalism". That, too, strikes me as pompous and rude.
  • But why even bother to meditate?
    It seems that the answers to this question so far haven't satisfied you. What's unclear about them?
  • "I have never met one Tibetan lama, ever, who has not cheerfully accepted my non belief in rebirth"

I can remember a friend saying to a Tibetan tulku: "I can't accept rebirth beliefs" and the tulku laughed and said " Oh don't worry about other lives, this is the one that's important !"

Perhaps he meant it's true but it is OK if you don't believe it. Just keep practising and you will attain liberation either way. This is a safe bet for non believers.

One thing we can agree on is the aim of getting out of the cycle of rebirths is the the right path.

• "Suppose there is no hereafter and there is no fruit, no result, of deeds done well or ill. Yet in this world, here and now, free from hatred, free from malice, safe and sound, and happy, I keep myself."
    --Kalama Sutta
  • Can't believe I wish to comment on a rebirth thread, that hasn't happened for quite awhile :nyah:

My understanding, which has been influenced by my discussions with my teacher and other practitioners within the Tibetan tradition, is that the Buddha never specifically questioned rebirth in the Suttas - so getting bogged down about it is clearly not wise. The quote above is the first of the Four Solaces from the Kalama Sutta - which also contains lots of wonderful suggestions and instructions on what my teacher summarises as the importance of " free inquiry ".
  • edited April 2011
    Speculating about rebirth is like speculating about karma - its unconjecturable.

"My" teachers from two different traditions have told me not to become intimidated by what other people say in general ... but to just keep practising !

:buck:
  • edited April 2011
    But why even bother to meditate?
    It seems that the answers to this question so far haven't satisfied you. What's unclear about them?
    My questions have all been rhetorical. It happens that I myself believe in the passage of a stream of consciousness from lifetime to lifetime, based partly on my own "existential" decision that it makes sense, based partly on the teachings and experience to be found in the Mahayana/Vajrayana, and based partially on some interpretations of the Pali scriptures that I have found here.

My point is regarding "the extreme of nihilism". Some of the interpretations of Buddhism that I find here, and finding them reflected in some of the posts in this thread and others, strike me as leading to "the extreme of nihilism". So I have chosen to take the rhetorical stance that the extreme of nihilism leads to a nihilistic lifestyle and a nihilistic approach to life. There are times in a Buddhist's life in which they need something to give them hope or faith, and idea of the passage of the "stream of consciousness" from life to life as explained in my quotation of Jason above, all taken together, are things that I can use to generate faith and confidence when I have that particular need. The extreme of nihilism, taken to its logical conclusion, would seem to be saying that when it all goes black, it all goes black and that's it. So, rhetorically at least, the extreme of nihilism removes any purpose at all from the practice of Buddhism beyond the personal existential decision to practice for the sake of virtue or the sake of personal peace of mind, or for the sake of having compassion for other people.

A belief in passage of the stream of consciousness from lifetime to lifetime can provide crucial motivation for those who can't find motivation anywhere else.

I am not talking about belief in a self or soul that has any fixed characteristics passing from lifetime to lifetime. I am just taking the rhetorical position that the extreme of nihilism leads to precisely that- nihilism.
  • For me, Buddha summed up this discussion quite well in the Kalama Sutta;
    "'Suppose there is a hereafter and there is a fruit, result, of deeds done well or ill. Then it is possible that at the dissolution of the body after death, I shall arise in the heavenly world, which is possessed of the state of bliss.' This is the first solace found by him.

"'Suppose there is no hereafter and there is no fruit, no result, of deeds done well or ill. Yet in this world, here and now, free from hatred, free from malice, safe and sound, and happy, I keep myself.' This is the second solace found by him.

"'Suppose evil (results) befall an evil-doer. I, however, think of doing evil to no one. Then, how can ill (results) affect me who do no evil deed?' This is the third solace found by him.

"'Suppose evil (results) do not befall an evil-doer. Then I see myself purified in any case.' This is the fourth solace found by him.
    For the believer in post-mortum rebirth solaces one and three apply, for the disbelievers solaces two and four apply. For the agnostic or apathetic all four apply.
    Basically, what the Buddha is saying is that it doesn't matter what your metaphysical beliefs are, what matters is that you follow the practical path he has laid out for you. A practical path that you can only follow right here, right now.

• Ive seen quite a few comments saying based on experiential evidence they have realized or seen rebirth or reincarnation. I wonder, how could you experience rebirth before dieing and being reborn ? Is it a vision or a feeling you get through meditation ? and why would you believe that is the true reality.

It just seems impossible to believe that you can experience something without actually going through the experience. You can meditate and get a vision of flying a plane....but go fly a real plane and things are a lot different.

I think a lot of ppl here are holding on to their truth...and arguing that it is the ultimate truth. Nobody has a monopoly on ultimate truth.
    Ive seen quite a few comments saying based on experiential evidence they have realized or seen rebirth or reincarnation. I wonder, how could you experience rebirth before dieing and being reborn ? Is it a vision or a feeling you get through meditation ? and why would you believe that is the true reality.
    I think maybe you have missed a big part of what buddhism is about. Let me ask you this question. What is reality according to you? What is real?

Acording to Buddhism reality is a subjective experience that "arises in the six exists in the six and ends in the six" the six being the six sense doors.

Buddhism teaches that everything is illusion there is no truth to any fenomena other than that which we ascribe them.

Yet in your argument you seem to say there is an objective truth that can be experiensed subjectivley?

So explain to me what defines reality for you?

This discussion has been closed.