Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is There Dogma In Buddhism?

edited April 2011 in Buddhism Today
Do the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path qualify as dogma? What about traditions that tend to require a belief in rebirth?
Dogma: "established belief or doctrine held by a religion".

Comments

• Nope... doesn't qualify as far as I'm concerned. For one thing, there's no hierarchy, no Pope to tell me I have to do this or that or that I can't do this or that. Buddhism leaves it to me to decide.
  • People say Tibetan Buddhism is hierarchical. I'm not exactly sure what they mean, but that's what they say. And HHDL says, no sex during daytime, sex only for procreation, etc. Maybe it depends on which tradition one picks.
  • @Mountains you pretty much nailed it. One thing that I really enjoy with Buddhism is the freedom - coming from Christianity, I was pleasantly surprised at the total lack of dogma in Buddhism.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Only some sects.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Nope... doesn't qualify as far as I'm concerned. For one thing, there's no hierarchy, no Pope to tell me I have to do this or that or that I can't do this or that. Buddhism leaves it to me to decide.
    That's not really true. No hierarchy? What about the Dalai Lama? What about the Supreme Sangha in Theravada Thailand?

• from Dictionary.app
    "a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true"

so no, there's no dogma in Buddhism.
  • edited April 2011
    Wait, but the Buddha laid down a set of principles as incontrovertibly true, didn't he? :-/ He said to test with our own reasoning, but no one's ever rejected the 4 Nobles and the Eightfold Path after examination, have they? They're pretty much taken as incontrovertibly true.
  • Wait, but the Buddha laid down a set of principles as incontrovertibly true, didn't he? :-/ He said to test with our own reasoning, but no one's ever rejected the 4 Nobles and the Eightfold Path after examination, have they?
    Yes, but at the same time, the Buddha established that all these dogmas are empty of inherent existence and are just expedient means, so they are not written in stone, they are just applicable ointments for the pain of psychological suffering. If a person is not ready for the 8 fold noble path, they are useless, thus they have relative reality and not ultimate reality. They are dependently originated and are empty of inherent existence. So, that leads one to see that they are not really dogmas.
  • That's very interesting, VH (I was hoping you'd show up :D ). So they're not dogma because they're not forced on anyone? They're there for the use of those who feel ready...?
  • VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited April 2011
    That's very interesting, VH (I was hoping you'd show up :D ). So they're not dogma because they're not forced on anyone? They're there for the use of those who feel ready...?
    We'll they are not like the commandments in Christianity where they are rules given by an omnipotent god that will damn you to eternal hell if you don't follow them. You are subject to your own karma of course, but that's just reaping what you sew, that's just life.

If you're a Buddha, you don't need the 4 noble truths or the 8 fold noble path. They also manifest differently in different versions of Buddhism, so they are not written in stone and have a relative meaning dependent upon where you are at on your personal path and dependent upon if you are practicing Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana or Dzogchen interpretation.

If you are not ready at all for the 4 noble truths and are only ready for Christianity or Islam, or Confucianism, this doesn't mean you will go to hell, it just means you will evolve according to a different view of virtue, but you will still evolve. Maybe a high up Christian becomes a Buddhist in their next life? I often wonder how many of the Catholic saints who were really evolved became Buddhist in another realm or in a future life? I don't know??

Like I said, the 4 noble truths and 8 fold path are prescriptions and antidotes for psychological suffering, not commandments from an ideation of an omnipotent entity who thinks he willed the universe into manifestation and who will damn us if we don't read his words written in stone.

Ya dig?

The 4 noble truths and 8 fold path originate dependently and are empty of inherent existence, so are not dogmas, they are prescriptions.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Dogma [noun] “doctrine/s put forward by some authority, esp. the Church or a political party, to be acccepted as true without question.” (Australian Modern Oxford English Dictionary, OUP, 1998)

By this definition, Buddhism most certainly is not dogmatic. On the contrary, Buddha urged his followers to test the truth of everything he said for themselves rather than take him merely on his words.

Having said that, there are certainly some Buddhists who take dogmatic views.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Aaah. Quite. Therein lies the difference.

"Don't strain. Simply let go of your Opinions".
  • Its dogma to consider the imponderables imponderable. How did buddha arrive at that conclusion? That they are imponderable. He never laid that transparent, and thus it is dogma.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    But you're forgetting.
    people still ponder them. And find the Buddha was right.
    so people still try it for themselves. Which is what the Buddha taught.
    It's not dogmatic to point something out to somebody when it's a caution about wasting time doing the impossible.

If I say to you, "If you sit on that park bench, which has just been painted, you'll get wet paint all over your clothes" it's not dogma, is it? it's a precautionary warning.
    But so many people have to find out for themselves....and they touch the paint, just to see if you're telling the truth. And lo! You were. But now, they have paint on their fingers.....

"See? I did tell you! But would you listen? No. And now? - You know for sure."
  • Yes buddhism is not idealism. You test the dogma out for yourself!
    Then your definition of 'Dogma' is different to everybody else's....

Dogma, by definition, is NOT to be questioned.
    If the Buddha had ever dictated that something was to be accepted without question, Buddhism would not be what it is today.

What is it?

That's up to you to define.
    It's not a dogmatic statement.
  • from Dictionary.app
    "a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true"

by this definition there is dogma such as the imponderables. It doesn't say in the definition that one may not question authority.
    edited April 2011
    I was looking more at this one:
    Dogma [noun] “doctrine/s put forward by some authority, esp. the Church or a political party, to be acccepted as true without question.” (Australian Modern Oxford English Dictionary, OUP, 1998)
    That definition MUST have been written by a catholic...... :lol:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Ok we concluded that the question is relative to which dictionary or yardstick you use :)

The suchness of buddhism is a raft.
    Ah.....

Define 'raft'.....

Just kidding.
  • :)
  • Do the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path qualify as dogma?
    These things serve only one purpose, which is to be realised

:om:

Praise for the Dhamma

(LEADER):

Handa mayaṃ dhammābhithutiṃ karoma se:

Now let us give praise to the Dhamma:

(ALL):

[Yo so svākkhāto] bhagavatā dhammo,

The Dhamma well-expounded by the Blessed One,

Sandiṭṭhiko akāliko ehipassiko,

to be seen here & now, timeless, inviting all to come & see,

Opanayiko paccattaṃ veditabbo viññūhi:

leading inward, to be seen by the wise for themselves:

Tam-ahaṃ dhammaṃ abhipūjayāmi,
    Tam-ahaṃ dhammaṃ sirasā namāmi.

I honor most highly that Dhamma,
    To that Dhamma I bow my head down.

(BOW DOWN)

:bowdown:

That's one thing we can always say about DD; He is 100% reliable in quoting sources, links and references.

No matter that some things may be questioned through personal understanding and interpretation, DD will always, but always metaphorically put his Dhamma-Money where his Dhamma-Mouth is.

For that I Thank you, DD.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Namo Dharma sun which is not nonexistent nor exists
    it is not both nor is it other than these two
    impossible to analyze escaping all description
    and realized by the self alone
    it is peace
    namo to this light of stainless wisdom whos rays banish darkness
    the fault arising from attachment to the various sense desires
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Nope... doesn't qualify as far as I'm concerned. For one thing, there's no hierarchy, no Pope to tell me I have to do this or that or that I can't do this or that. Buddhism leaves it to me to decide.
    In most western countries anyone can also decide if they want to follow say Christianity or Islam, it up to the individual if they want to practice any Dharma regardless of popes, ayatollah etc. Furthermore, I would say that, for example Jesus and Buddha taught in a similar style, just different Dharmas. People can argue about the freedoms that Buddhism gives as a practice, but the fact still remains that the Buddha taught a path or you could say a set of instructions that leads to happiness and also a path which leads to suffering, just as someone like Jesus did, and if your a Buddhist you choose to follow Buddhas path that leads to happiness, just as a Christian follows the path Jesus set out to happiness. So yes in my opinion there is Dogma (as defined by cw) in Buddhism, but that is not necessarily a bad thing, if it leads to happiness.

Metta to all sentient beings
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    It is also a common interpretation in the west that a Buddhist can pick and choose to accept only parts of the Buddhas Dharma they are comfortable with, for example concepts such as rebirth and karma are not accepted by many Buddhists in this forum, with the Kalama Sutta often cited as a justification for being a Buddhist and not accepting such teachings.
    Well not all Buddhist have this interpretation of picking and choosing to accept only parts of the Buddhas Dharma and in my opinion and others (see link) teachings such as the Kalama Sutta are misinterpreted.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/kalama1_l.htm

Of course it is everyone's right to believe in what they want and I have will say now that I completely respect everyone's beliefs. But if someone labels them self Buddhist and chooses to then not accept a core teaching of the Buddha such as karma or rebirth, then do they not then practice their own Dharma and not the one Buddha taught ?

Metta to all sentient beings
    Kamma is misunderstood. people take kamma as the consequence, whereas in fact, it's the (original) volitional Action.

Re-birth is a difficult concept for many to absorb, and as such, is interpreted in many different ways. I think maybe one of the limitations is also the linguistic interpretation of the original suttas and teachings.
    language is a difficult method of communication, if the translation is open to question.
    I mean, we have people on here interchanging Re-birth and reincarnation, which in essence actually mean 2 different things entirely.
    With this simple transposition of words, is it any wonder confusion, doubt and question arises in the mind of the seeker?
  • edited April 2011
    That's one thing we can always say about DD; He is 100% reliable in quoting sources, links and references.

No matter that some things may be questioned through personal understanding and interpretation, DD will always, but always metaphorically put his Dhamma-Money where his Dhamma-Mouth is.

For that I Thank you, DD.
    Absolutely.

There's always the possibility of people making up their own versions of the teachings - or indeed of later interpretations having done the same thing and added extras and embellishments which were'nt originally taught by the Buddha. So potentially there can be a lot of confusion in todays "Buddhism"

DD always takes us back to what the Buddha taught...and I thank him for that too.

_/\_
  • Remember the Pali Canon is a canon. I suppose its as close as we get, but it isn't written by buddha. Fortunately his followers got something right.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Dear compassionate_warrior,

There are no dogmas, but the Buddha taught something called Right View. Those who didn't want to follow his teachings he called unwise, not out of a lack of respect (for example, he had great respect for his former teachers), but simply because they had Wrong View.

Now you can't twist Buddhism into everything you want. For example if somebody says there is a personal God, that would be respected, but not considered a Buddhist attitude because that would be Wrong View. Or if you would say there is an eternal heaven after death, that would be not Buddhist.

If someone were to say karma doesn't exist, the Four Noble Truths don't exist, the 8-fold path is non-sense etc, the same analogy applies. It would be respected, but it is Wrong View. Now only by walking the path can you acquire Right View, but that does require faith in the Buddha's words.

So no dogmas that you have to believe or you are expelled forever from Buddhism ;) , but that doesn't mean we should simply shape Buddhism to our likings because then we might get stuck in our progress on the path towards the end of all suffering.

With metta,
    Sabre :)
    I remember reading a statement by a Bikkhu, which went something like this:
    people believe that simply because the texts were not written at the time of the Buddha, that they are unreliable and unauthentic.
    In fact, the memorised word is far more reliable. If you look at the way the suttas are presented, they are repetitive, and some may say, drearily so.
    But they are repetitive, because they were memorised. And they were committed to memory by monks working with each other.
    They tested each others' ability to recall the Buddha's teachings verbatim.
    In much the same way as an actor is able to memorise great swathes of script, and be prompted if they forget their lines, so Monks memorised the Buddha's teachings word-perfectly.

Watch a Shakespearian actor in a play.
    Night after night, his rendition will not alter.
    Night after night, he will deliver the same lines, with the same passion and accuracy as the night before, and the night before that.
    if he errs or strays, the prompter will jog his memory.

Thus it is that the suttas are accurate and trustworthy.
    in addition to that, we are exhorted to ensure for ourselves that the teachings are reliable and sound.
    What could be better than this?

(this was a post on a Buddhist forum. It might even have been E-sangha, but I've never forgotten it.)
    Bikkhu Pesala, on another forum, says this:
    "The oral tradition is more reliable. To learn even a single discourse by heart requires a lot more effort than just reading it. Not only that, but to commit a long discourse to memory is harder still f you cannot understand the meaning of what you're saying. Understanding the meaning gives the context, to remind you what comes next.

Written manuscripts are copied many times by scribes, and errors inevitably creep in. You will know if you have ever done any proof-reading how easy it is to overlook a glaring error.

When a class of students learn a text by heart from a teacher, they are made to recite it by heart in front of the whole class. Not only is the teacher listening, but everyone in the class is too, and they are all ready to point out the slightest slip of the tongue."
    The whole thread, in fact, is of good use.

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7946&p=125297#p125297
  • Yes, repetition is an excellent and accurate way of learning things.

Through much repetition of chants and pujas when I was an offline Vajrayana practioner I can still recite at least 3 whole pujas accurately in Tibetan -amongst other things... even though it wasn't my original intention to be able to do that!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Thats presuming a picture of reality. We don't know. Do you imagine buddha had his followers memorize his words? Was that his intention?

Thich Nhat Hanh in his commentary of the diamond sutra in a pop book said dharma is not dharma. That is how it is dharma. He meant that the teachings that liberate are composed of things which are not the teachings. And that is the true teaching.
    If you read the Link to the thread I posted, a member called cooran, in that thread, gives an accurate reference which answers your question.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    It doesn't say anything. It says that the Mahasangha decided to write down the teachigns. It doesn't say that buddha started the practices of reciting his words. There has to be a continuity buddha taught until his eighties. Unless they were reciting the words from when he was forty all that time over the years, how would they remember? So do you believe buddha had his disciples recite his words?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    "As I understand it, the Pali Suttas are teaching vehicles whose meanings are densely packed layer on layer. They are not to be read as an ordinary page of print, but require 'unpacking' by someone learned in the Dhamma. This condensed form was necessary in order that the Teachings would not be lost in the years before they were finally put into writing. It allowed them to be memorised by the large groups of bhikkhus (bhanakas) assigned to each portion of the Tipitaka. They are not verbatim reports of chats and conversations. This memorisation is said to have commenced before the parinibbana of the Buddha."

I agree with this. Including the words 'said to have'.
  • Only some sects.
    from Dictionary.app
    I'm reminded of Stephen Batchelor's experience in the Tibetan monastery where he was a monk for years. He couldn't accept rebirth, and all the teachings related to that subject. He says he got the clear message from his lama that it's ok to question and analyze the teachings, as long as the conclusion one comes to is the "right" conclusion, i.e. the one put forward by the tradition. He felt that genuine inquiry was not allowed, and felt that the teachings on rebirth and on karma causing the circumstances of the next rebirth were therefore dogma. Perhaps as MindGate says, dogma in Buddhism is limited to some traditions, not found in others.

• It is also a common interpretation in the west that a Buddhist can pick and choose to accept only parts of the Buddhas Dharma they are comfortable with, for example concepts such as rebirth and karma are not accepted by many Buddhists in this forum, with the Kalama Sutta often cited as a justification for being a Buddhist and not accepting such teachings.
    Well not all Buddhist have this interpretation of picking and choosing to accept only parts of the Buddhas Dharma and in my opinion and others (see link) teachings such as the Kalama Sutta are misinterpreted.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/kalama1_l.htm

Of course it is everyone's right to believe in what they want and I have will say now that I completely respect everyone's beliefs. But if someone labels them self Buddhist and chooses to then not accept a core teaching of the Buddha such as karma or rebirth, then do they not then practice their own Dharma and not the one Buddha taught ?
    I think this question of whether or not one can cherry-pick beliefs from Buddhism is a good subject for its own thread.
    It doesn't say anything. It says that the Mahasangha decided to write down the teachigns. It doesn't say that buddha started the practices of reciting his words. There has to be a continuity buddha taught until his eighties. Unless they were reciting the words from when he was forty all that time over the years, how would they remember? So do you believe buddha had his disciples recite his words?
    yes, I do.
    There's too much of the Pali canon that makes perfect sense and is difficult to argue against, except in the sense of semantics.
    I don't think so much of his teachings would be so enduring if there was not some kind of verbatim transmission.
    Compare this to the hundreds of different Biblical publications that we have been given over the centuries, and I can't help thinking the Pali canon stands up to better scrutiny.
    The key is in the examination and accuracy of the teaching the sutta is attempting to impart.
    other aspects of the canon, I do find questionable, for example, some views on Bikkhunis. I would surmise that some aspects of these instructions were later additions and not part of the Buddha's intentions at all. But again, that is a topic for a different thread. And it has been discussed before, so I really don't need or feel it necessary to repeat it here.

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited April 2011
    That's not really true. No hierarchy? What about the Dalai Lama? What about the Supreme Sangha in Theravada Thailand?
    That's not Buddhism. That's one small man-made part of stuff piled on top of Buddhism. Much as I appreciate him, HHDL has no sort of authority over my practice. I can take what he says or leave it, and be just as Buddhist.
  • I think the question of dogma in Buddhism can be broken down to a simpler question.

Is the Buddha infallible?

I think if you say yes, then it is dogmatic. You cant argue or disagree with someone who is never wrong. Also if dealing with disagreement boils down to, "you just have wrong view" I think that also qualifies as dogmatic because unless you agree you will always have "wrong view".

I am actually interested in knowing what you guys think, is Buddha infallible ?
  • So you believe a portion was recited by buddhas sangha and that became the Pali canon. Because it makes sense to you. So the part that makes sense must have come from a buddha? That part makes sense to me. We revere buddha not because of 'hype' hopefully, but because we see him from his teachings. I think for me another part is to look at myself and wonder at how is it that I am responding to the truth in buddhas teaching? There is a feeling we get when we receive something that makes sense. It is different from a delicious bite of food.

For me and what I was trying to get at with the Thich Nhat Hanh reference, is that any teaching that is liberating is useful. It doesn't matter where it came from. You can say it came from an awakened heart. And it is ego for me to say how another should teach, because for them they find their own special meaning and place and expression.

And that buddhas teachings have been more enduring than Christianity. Are you saying that Christian teachings are not enduring? Or that they do not make sense and thus haven't come from a Christ consciousness?
    Siddharta Gautama was infallible.
    In my opinion, the Buddha wasn't.

Again, he sincerely advised all who listened to him, to seek answers for themselves, and to not take his words for it.
    This has been going on for nearly 3000 years, and enduring still.
    no other piece of work is so reliable, and so logical, and so clear-cut and unambiguous.

• RicRic
    edited April 2011
    federica you have it the other way around :) Infallible means you cant be wrong. So for you the Buddha was infallible (he cant be wrong). oo and happy birthday!

So I think it is fair to say from your perspective Buddhism is dogmatic, borrowing the definition from someone above "a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true".
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    That's not Buddhism. That's one small man-made part of stuff piled on top of Buddhism. Much as I appreciate him, HHDL has no sort of authority over my practice. I can take what he says or leave it, and be just as Buddhist.
    With all due respect to a differing opinion, in my view a religion consists of two parts. The initial teachings. And, all that man has connected to that religion over time. I don't see a single religion that cannot be said about. And it is what most people talk about when they question, for example, Islam. If it were not for "man-made part of stuff piled on top of Buddhism", I doubt any of us would have ever heard of Buddhism.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Hi Ric,

There are certain things most Buddhist believe and they call this right view indeed. But you have to make the difference between 'belief' and 'view'. If you can see that you see it doesn't come down to a dogma, because because right view is something that is developed as a factor of the path. It is called Right View for a reason and not Right Faith or Right Belief.

You can't just have right view and become enlightened straight away. That would be quite nice, now wouldn't it? :D But right view comes slowly. Maybe when you first read about Buddhism you didn't believe meditation would do you any good, but you tried it anyway. And it seems to work. Nice! That's right view in progress, a thing we are all developing slowly but surely. I wouldn't call that a dogma.

But -with all respect to other religions- what I would call dogma are things like castes in certain types of Hinduism or God in other religions. These aren't views you develop slowly, it's just told to believe. And if you don't believe it you aren't a Hindu/Christian or whatever, the whole religion falls apart.

So I would say are there dogmas in Buddhism: No, as long as you don't make them yourself. ;)

Sabre :)
    federica you have it the other way around :) Infallible means you cant be wrong. So for you the Buddha was infallible (he cant be wrong). oo and happy birthday!

So I think it is fair to say from your perspective Buddhism is dogmatic, borrowing the definition from someone above "a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true".
    You're quite right! I mussed it up-around.
    Must be old age creeping in.

What year is it.....? :crazy:
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    "a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true".
    Who is the authority in Buddhism?
  • we are
  • edited April 2011
    Who is the authority in Buddhism?
    The Buddha. He's the one who laid down the principles.

But -with all respect to other religions- what I would call dogma are things like castes in certain types of Hinduism or God in other religions. These aren't views you develop slowly, it's just told to believe. And if you don't believe it you aren't a Hindu/Christian or whatever, the whole religion falls apart.)
    Does Hinduism teach the caste system? Or is that a social convention that evolved over time? (I'm not up on Hinduism.) Buddhism had a caste system too, in Tibet.
    For many practitioners, HHDL does hold some authority over their practice, though. This is where MindGate's "only for some sects" comment is relevant. And the monastic system and the Supreme Sangha are still hierarchies. Just because some Westerners may choose not to recognize their authority, doesn't mean they have no influence over tens of thousands of Buddhists.