Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Graphics

edited January 2006 in General Banter
If anyone is particulary good with graohics, or has photoshop, can you edit the colours in this picture: avatar.gif
for me please, it needs to be yellow, not blue.

Comments

• edited January 2006
    Sangha, download a trial copy of Photoshop and do it yourself. You don't learn how to do it by asking someone else to do it for you.
  • edited January 2006
    I tried to download a trial copy but it wouldn't install. I intend to edit a lot of it myself but photoshop is the only program (that I know of) that can block edit colours. And I am not paying so much money for it! And I refuse to download an illegal copy.
  • edited January 2006
    Why would it not install? Did you get a specific error message?
  • edited January 2006
    No, just nothing came up after the download finished.
  • edited January 2006
    In that case, what I'd suggest is doing a search for the file Photoshop_CS2_tryout.zip. When you find that, just double click it and you'll see a folder which has a Setup.exe file inside it that you need to run. If you don't find it, the chances are that you downloaded the mac version by mistake, so you need to go back and download the Windows version again (I'm assuming you're using a Windows PC here). I know it's a heavy download, at over 300 Mb so you can also use Paint Shop Pro from here:

Paint Shop Pro X

Which takes less time to download and will do much of what Photoshop does.
  • edited January 2006
    As Genryu says, you can use Paint Shop Pro to do this as well.
    I have both installed so I've edited it for you using PSP just to show that it can be done.
    I used Photoshop when I did that envelope one for you.
    However, as Genryu said, you learn much more by doing it yourself so this is the last time! :D
  • edited January 2006
    Thanks for the effort, Frizzer, but someone else did it (as you can see in my Avatar).
  • edited January 2006
    Sangha, without wanting to appear over harsh, Buddhism stresses that we do things for ourselves, and that if an obstacle appears, that we find out through our own experience how to work with that obstacle.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Jan 3, 2006 11:00 a.m., Zenmonk says:
    Sangha, without wanting to appear over harsh, Buddhism stresses that we do things for ourselves, and that if an obstacle appears, that we find out through our own experience how to work with that obstacle.

Well, Mark, ZenMonk doesn't have all the answers. Like you, sometimes I need help. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ASKING FOR HELP. In fact, isn't that what this thread B]Is some kind of HOW-TO guide or HELP NEEDED section a possibility[/B]? under [B]Site Discussion[/B all about?

What ZenMonk doesn't know is that you are the only one on this website to give me any help, and I thank you.

Asking people to share a resource with you is VERY RESOURCEFUL!

I will also be posting this on your GRAPHICS thread under LOTUS LOUNGE.

Thank you, Mark/Sangha for everything!!!

Peace & Joy Always
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    The reason is, that in technical questions,
    ONE) I am a total doofus, and of no help at all, and
    TWO) In cases like this, in my experience, the more folks try to help, the more complicated it can be; If you go one good person helping you out, go with that, unless a solution is not forthcoming....
    Just my 2 penn'orth... ;)
  • edited January 2006
    Nirvana wrote:
    Jan 3, 2006 11:00 a.m., Zenmonk says:

Well, Mark, ZenMonk doesn't have all the answers. Like you, sometimes I need help. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ASKING FOR HELP. In fact, isn't that what this thread B]Is some kind of HOW-TO guide or HELP NEEDED section a possibility[/B]? under [B]Site Discussion[/B all about?

What ZenMonk doesn't know is that you are the only one on this website to give me any help, and I thank you.

Asking people to share a resource with you is VERY RESOURCEFUL!

I entirely agree but would also point out that asking someone else to do what you are fully capable of doing yourself is not the same as asking for help when it's really needed and you cannot do it yourself. The one is honest, the other is just lazy.
    edited January 2006
    Why spend all your money on something, when you can save it for something more useful?

As for following technical advice that doesn't work for you, why spend so much precious time on something someone else can do for you more efficiently. WE DO HAVE AN ECONOMIC SHAREHOUSE.

When I first read you responses, they seemed silly to me, rather reminding me of Mahatma Gandhi's visitor who asked him where all his furniture was when he visited him? You know what was said.

Why should anyone have to carry extra baggage or branch out and be able to do every little technical thing? Better to perfect food-gathering and other basic survival and cooperating skills! Of what use is it to master today's ever-changing software? A new edition's gonna come out the day after tomorrow, and you'll have to learn all over again. And, Zenmonk, some of us really do need someone to walk us through the steps. That is not a moral failing.

Another thought, or rather, image, I had while reading you was my driving my car to my home state of South Dakota, and my car breaking down in Missouri. What idiot garage would make me perform all the repairs myself?

Oh, we are all so interdependent. That can be a good thing, it can impart some humility at times.

I believe, as I have been taught in Vedanta, that religion should, first and foremost, be PRACTICAL. It should uncomplicate our lives, not burden them down.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I am so lost...

Who is Jonathan? Who is Mark? Who is Sangha? Who is Nirvana? Who needed what done? Was it Sangha or Nirvana?

-bf
    edited January 2006
    It's OK to be lost, dear Buddhafoot! Enjoy the scenery. Time is but an Illusion. This whole world belongs to you. If it wasn't made for you, for whom was it made?

Now, I think, Mark is Sangha's everyday name. Can't say who needed help more, Mark or me. Mark got someone to make his what-you-may-call-it ("Avatar?").

But I repeat:
    IT'S OK TO BE LOST. ENJOY THE SCENERY!

I had some questions which I posted under Site Discussion.

THANKS FOR CARING! THANX FOR SHARING!
  • edited January 2006
    I only tried to help...... :bawling:;)
  • edited January 2006
    Nirvana, out of curiousity, are you practicing with a teacher and a Sangha?
  • edited January 2006
    Nirvana wrote:
    Of what use is it to master today's ever-changing software? A new edition's gonna come out the day after tomorrow, and you'll have to learn all over again.

And it's attitudes like that that keep us IT consultants in a job! Well said Nirvana, well said indeed ! :bigclap:

I'm pulling your leg by the way, please don't take me too seriously !!
  • edited January 2006
    LOL
    edited January 2006
    Zenmonk asks:
    Nirvana, out of curiousity, are you practicing with a teacher and a Sangha?

Thanks for asking, Zenmonk! I am not a member of a Buddhist sangha, nor have I ever been, but I have been reading Buddhist tracts and books for more than 25 years.

However, I am a member of a Vedanta "Sangha," and have been for more than 20 years. I have been initiated by a swami who is a direct disciple of a direct disciple of Sri Ramakrisha, the great Indian Saint who achieved Mahasamadhi in August 1886. He has also been in prolonged direct contact with several disciples of Holy Mother, Sri Ramakrishna's wife. He came over to this country from India in 1954, and is in his nineties now. I have benefitted much from this, and spend as much time as I can there. This is my sangha.

I am a laborer in the vineyard, so to speak, with some lumbar vertebrae issues, but I have sat for meditation and do so as time allows. However, I do exhausting physical work with the elderly, and find sitting to read more amenable during long stretches of calendar time.

At the same time, I am pretty well-versed in Christian culture, literature, history, and theology. I have just very recently discovered newbuddhist and am enjoying reading and posting. NO OTHER SITE HAS EVER LURED ME IN, SO I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH THIS SORT OF THING.

But what about you? I must say, many of your entries are long, and I haven't yet had time to look at them with due justice. Perhaps you could send me a note of where to look?
    Remember, I'm new, and am having a lot of trouble just finding my place.

MAY BLISS PRECEDE YOU AND FOLLOW YOU. LET YOUR NAME BECOME BLISS.
  • edited January 2006
    My posts are unimportant and should be forgotten about as soon as they are read. If they strike a spark now and then - great. If they don't - that's great too. Reading is kind of like trying to scratch an itch with your shoe on after all.
    edited January 2006
    My posts are unimportant and should be forgotten about as soon as they are read. If they strike a spark now and then - great. If they don't - that's great too. Reading is kind of like trying to scratch an itch with your shoe on after all.
    You are certainly wrong with that value judgment! You are deep.
    Depth is good.

MAY BLISS PRECEDE YOU AND FOLLOW YOU.
    LET YOUR NAME BECOME BLISS.
  • edited January 2006
    Unless you can't swim. :winkc:
    edited January 2006
    Good to see you back, Sangha/Mark. Brought back this Thread just for you.
  • edited January 2006
    As for image creation/editing software. No one need spend money, though, they always appreciate donations. Try the GIMP, GNU Image Manipulation Program. It dones basically anything those other programs do, but without the empty wallet and it helps support Open-source software! (which is very DIY)

Keith