Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Vietnamese vs Japanese vs Korean Zen

TakuanTakuan Veteran
edited April 2011 in Buddhism Basics
What exactly is the difference between the three? I've always thought that Zen was Zen, but lately I've been wondering if there are subtle differences.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    One thing I read recently is that Japanese Zen allows monks to have families and live a lay life, it doesn't require celibacy, or not always as strictly as other traditions. Korean zen is more traditional in that regard.

This is a good question, we don't get very many about zen. Looking forward to reading the answers. :)
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    Also add Chinese Zen (Ch'an) to the list.

I don't know the answer to your question. But I am looking forward to when someone in the know can answer.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    Also add Chinese Zen (Ch'an) to the list.

Ah thank you! I forgot about Ch'an.
    One thing I read recently is that Japanese Zen allows monks to have families and live a lay life, it doesn't require celibacy, or not always as strictly as other traditions. Korean zen is more traditional in that regard.
    I read about that too, and was kind of caught off guard. lol Usually when one thinks "monk", celibacy is one of the first things that come to mind. I wonder what factors led to that rule change.

• Yes, Japanese Zen monks can have a job, and family.
  • they are all the same. directly pointing to you true nature. not so much emphasis on studying or sutras. emphasis is on zazen or some form of koan study.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    I started reading the book "Zen Philosophy, Zen Practice" by Thich Thein An and he says something similar to Taiyaki's post. Basically, he says Zen is the same in Vietnam as it is in Japan, China, and Korea. The only differences are the cultures it has developed around.
  • edited April 2011
    Vietnamese Zen includes practices from the indigenous vietnamese religion, and Vajrayana.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_Vietnam
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen (Includes description of "The Five Houses of Zen" , in the 5 countries where Zen in practiced)
  • What exactly is the difference between the three? I've always thought that Zen was Zen, but lately I've been wondering if there are subtle differences.
    It's complicated. The various Zen schools are all the same in their teaching of direct realization of Buddha Nature through meditation and insight, yet as different as the cultures the monks come from. The Koreans, Japanese and Chinese nations have been fighting one another for all of recorded history, so the monks can also have negative opinions about the other schools and stress their differences. National attitudes and politics are a huge force in molding the Buddhist temple practice of whatever decade or century you examine.

You see, there is no separation of church and state in the Eastern cultures. Even in nations that are not officially Buddhist, the secular government can and does issue laws telling the temples how they will operate. In many cases, the governments also provide the land and funding for the temples, so it's not like the temples can ignore the interference.

An example. In Japan, the government decided in 1872 that all monks of every religion there are allowed to be married and raise families. It seems to have something to do with wanting the monks to support themselves. So eventually there were many married monks in Japan but the temples continued.

However, in Korea, Seon (Zen) temples, celebacy remained the rule and the general attitude was anti-Japanese anyway from past military conflicts. Enter WWII and the Japanese habit of invading Korea every century or so. The occupying Japanese government issued a law that now all Korean monks were allowed to marry. Some did, most did not. Eventually many monks had wives and children and tended their little shrines and temples and adjusted. When the Japanese left, the new Korean government ordered all married monks expelled from the temples and little houses where they maintained mountain shrines. Since that was their home and they and their families had no place else to go, it caused a revolt and huge power struggle between the traditionalist, some would say nationalist monks and the married ones and their followers. Monks fought each other, or hired thugs to drive the married monks from their homes. Eventually, the government stepped in and allowed the married monks to establish their own schools of Zen with their own temples. Thus Korea now has the more traditional Jogye with ordained celebate temple monks and the Taego Zen order that is built around a lay order of teaching monks similar to Christian denominations.

Fun fact. The lay population were disgusted with this civil war between monks, and Christian missionaries moved in and established some of the biggest, most popular churches in the East, with lots of help from a government what was now influenced by the religious right out of the United States during that whole Korean war thing. Korea became a majority Christian nation.

Now there are also Zen schools in the West, part of a missionary effort by the various temples over there. The Kwan Um Zen school, while founded by Jogye, has actually reintroduced the concept of the married monk and temples centered around a lay population instead of isolated monks. Taego has also established branches in the West, as has the Japanese schools, of course.

So...complicated.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran

So...complicated.
    lol, I see. Thank you for that info, Cinojer! It was quite an interesting read.

• In my opinion there's yet another "type of Zen school" is coming - the American zen. Even though most of it comes from Japan but it has developed a unique flavour of being much more socially involved than any other schools of zen. I think social awareness and involvement is very American feature in general. I'd like to hear other people's opinions about that.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    That's true. Angel Kyodo Williams teaches what she calls "New Dharma Tradition" Zen, but was ordained a Japanese tradition. She talks about it quite a bit in her book "Black and Zen".
    In my opinion there's yet another "type of Zen school" is coming - the American zen. Even though most of it comes from Japan but it has developed a unique flavour of being much more socially involved than any other schools of zen. I think social awareness and involvement is very American feature in general. I'd like to hear other people's opinions about that.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Fun fact. The lay population were disgusted with this civil war between monks, and Christian missionaries moved in and established some of the biggest, most popular churches in the East, with lots of help from a government what was now influenced by the religious right out of the United States during that whole Korean war thing. Korea became a majority Christian nation.
    Wow, what a cautionary tale about internecine struggles between religious orders! Thanks for the history, Cinorjer.

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    The Koreans, Japanese and Chinese nations have been fighting one another for all of recorded history,
    Strange, considering they're Buddhist nations. :-/
  • The Koreans, Japanese and Chinese nations have been fighting one another for all of recorded history,
    Not so strange when you consider that they are populated by human beings.
    lobster
  • The Koreans, Japanese and Chinese nations have been fighting one another for all of recorded history,
    It does give one pause to think, doesn't it? Of course, it's not the nations or the people who invaded each other. A piece of land doesn't wage war, and neither do a bunch of farmers busy trying to bring in a harvest. It was the people in power, the Emperors and Kings and Warlords, playing with their armies and navies. Their religion, no matter what public face they put on, has always been power.
  • edited April 2011

It does give one pause to think, doesn't it? Of course, it's not the nations or the people who invaded each other. A piece of land doesn't wage war, and neither do a bunch of farmers busy trying to bring in a harvest. It was the people in power, the Emperors and Kings and Warlords, playing with their armies and navies. Their religion, no matter what public face they put on, has always been power.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same. How many people in the US voted for the US to engage in another yet another war, most recently in North Africa? How many citizens voted for the war in Iraq, Afghanistan, or earlier, Vietnam? Not to mention Reagan's invasion of Grenada.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Chan and Seon (China and Korea, respectively) tend to incorporate Pure Land stuff into their practice as well.

Also, Seon has a lot of prostrating. I think for laypeople, 108/day is recommended.
  • Also, Seon has a lot of prostrating. I think for laypeople, 108/day is recommended.
    It's a great practice, I highly recommend it!

• Traditional Seon does have a lot of chanting and prostrations and listening to a monk chant the Heart Sutra while keeping time with wooden sticks or gongs. You can get audio recordings on the web, and they're fantastic to meditate by. I highly recommend you try it out a few times.

They leave it to the monks to do the heavy meditating and koan work.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    I'll have to check that out, Cinorjer! Thank you!
  • I wonder why so many people have a strong desire to belong to certain schools of the principles.

I think, Buddha teaching is above all the dominations and allows you the freedom to search for what is comfortable to you.

Belonging to a certain school deprives you of this freedom.
  • I wonder why so many people have a strong desire to belong to certain schools of the principles.

I think, Buddha teaching is above all the dominations and allows you the freedom to search for what is comfortable to you.
    For some people, this or that school is a comfortable fit.

• I think Buddha will have a hard time seeing all those political institutions i.e. churches using his teaching to put forward their own dogmas and fight among each other.

To fit – OK.

But is this not making us a bit narrow-minded?

Belonging to a certain school deprives you of this freedom.
    Not if it helps you.

To fit – OK.

I think to clarify the mind is to know its limitless. But to also know that the limited is not that different to the limitless either..

In practice it makes sense..

Gassho
  • What exactly is the difference between the three? I've always thought that Zen was Zen, but lately I've been wondering if there are subtle differences.
    There are no differences in the heart of all genuine Zen Buddhist practice but outward forms, traditions and cultures may vary. Also each teacher can bring their own flavor and personality into the mix but this does not change the essence if the essence is .. understood. Just my 2 cents.

Abu

To fit – OK.

I think to clarify the mind is to know its limitless. But to also know that the limited is not that different to the limitless either..

In practice it makes sense..

Gassho
    Did you through meditation feel this:

the limited is not that different to the limitless either..

I know that those are just words but how those opposite statements can come to the same meaning?

• Yes.
    A phrase I used to like, "In practice (through practice) all contradictions can be resolved"

_/\_
    Fosdick
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited April 2011
    It's not like most Buddhists throughout history had a choice in their temple or school of Buddhism. Your local temple was what you got. You might, at most, have a different Master if you traveled from one temple to another, but then those Masters would have been taught by the same Teachers. In extremely rare occasions, a monk might make a dangerous journey to learn from a different set of traditions. This ability to choose, to learn about different practices and incorporate what works for you is a unique development in the history of our Sangha. Wouldn't it be interesting to get a peak into the future, to see what grows out of it?

• myokumyoku NYC New

I have tried both Japanese and Korean. I can certainly say that there is a difference. Meditation and dharma talks are the same, BUT Korean style is to make students interact with the master on a constant basis by doing koans interviews. Korean style is to work with koans as a basic teaching tool during interviews/ meetings with the master. Koreans are less attached to the rules--they are disciplined but do not obsess with rules. Japanese are very nice but quite strict. I do prefer Korean style. It is just a matter of what suits you.

Cinorjer
  • BrownbuddhaBrownbuddha Osaka, Japan Explorer
    edited August 2016

There are many paths to the mtn top. We have a saying in Kung Fu, the Style does not make the man, the Man makes the style.

There is a branch of Japanese Zen that uses the Shakuhachi ( flute) instead of chanting, Chinese Chan does not hit you with a stick, nor face a wall. A Japanese Zen master ( Rinzai) I know and sit with sometimes, says he does not "sit" daily, and does not teach with Koans. " Different strokes for different folks"

One thing for me, as a Chan Stylist and "monk" I prefer the Chinese path of Zen, with it's strong ties to Taoism, Japanese Zen lacks that.

(Moderator note: Sequential posts combined.)

:)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2016

Thank you for your contributions, @Brownbuddha .

Please be sure to read the announcements in the different categories, before posting.
    Many thanks.

This discussion has been closed.