Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Om

edited January 2006 in Buddhism Basics
What is the meaning of Om in Buddhism?
I've heard in Hinduism it's the symbol of God.
I've also heard it's the sound of the universe.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    You are correct in what you have found. However, it may also depend on the Mantra you are reciting as to the specific and particular meaning of 'OM' at that moment...

In the Six-Syllable Seed Mantra known by every Buddhist (Om Mani Padme Hung) each syllable represents the removal of the six poisonous negative emotions which infiltrate and govern the Body, Speech and Mind... Pride, Anger, Jealousy, Ignorance, Desire and Greed.... By reciting the Mantra, these six Emotions are purified, and re-birth into the six realms of Delusion (Samsara) is avoided.

In the Vajra Guru Mantra (Om Ah Hum Vajra Guru Padme Siddhi Hung) the first three syllables have 'Outer' 'Inner' and 'Secret' meanings, but at each of these levels, 'OM' signifies the Body, 'AH' signifies Speech, and 'HUM' the Mind. By reciting these, you purify and cleanse, andyou invoke the blessings of all Buddhas, on the Body, Speech and Mind.

I have taken these two specific explanations from Sogyal Rinpochés book ' The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying' to my mind, one book nobody (let alone Buddhist) should be without....

Hope he has helped...;)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Actually, it's best not to try to translate seed syllables in mantras, like OM, AH and HUNG. They work on levels beyond just the meanings of a word. They actually work on the winds and channels of the spirit body, so the "meaning" of the words is somewhat immaterial.

Palzang
  • edited January 2006
    I'd still like to know what it represents.
    You didn't answer my question, at least I don't feel you did.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Palzang is right...
    meanings and representations are not always available, pertinent or necessary...
    it is the sound which brings you into focus;
    it is the syllable which grounds and roots you;
    it is the trigger for you to Be Present and aware;
    it is the signal for everything to stop and to just be....
    it simply is....
  • edited January 2006
    Om is spoken of as the primordial sound, the sound of sounds. The sound that is within both silence and noise.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Om is spoken of as the primordial sound, the sound of sounds. The sound that is within both silence and noise.

This is rather "candy floss" for you, Genryu. What does it mean, other than as poetry? Where is the evidence of this "primordial" sound? This is more the sort of mystical stuff that I tend to spout!
  • edited January 2006
    LOL yes, and I felt uncomfortable writing it too, which is my own attachment. Nonetheless, I think there is something to it, and could not find other words that would do, but hasten to add that I do am not qualified to do any sort of in depth examination of the meaning and implications of the word, or it's associated practices in some Buddhist traditions. I defer to those with more experience on this.
    edited January 2006
    :lol:I'd love to lock you two in a room and see which one beats on the door to be let out first - !! :crazy: :D
  • edited January 2006
    :wavey: Now that would be interesting.
  • edited January 2006
    Here's something I found a while back. I apologise for not being able to give the author their credit as I really can't remember where I got it from! Anyhow, here you go :
    The most common mantra in tibetan buddhism is "om mani padme hum" you can find loads of info on it by doing a search for it. Saying this mantra is said to bring great benefits. My personal experience is that it facillitates one pointedness, and has a general calming effect.

Different people pronounce it differently but there are two main pronunciations:

ohm mah nee pahd may hum and ohm mah nee peh may hum

Here is a bit about the mantra:

First, let us consider that each syllable allows us to close the door of painful rebirths in one of the six realms composing cyclical existence:
    -OM closes the door of rebirths in the world of the gods (devas);
    -MA, the door of the demigod world (asuras);
    -NI, the door of the human realm;
    PAD, the door of the animal world;
    ME, the door of the hunry ghost world (pretas);
    -HUM, the door of the hell worlds.

Each syllable is then seen as having a genuine purifying effect:
    -OM purifies the veils of body;
    -MA purifies the veils of speech;
    -NI purifies the veils of mind;
    -PAD purifies the veils of conflicting emotions;
    ME purifies the veils of latent conditioning;
    -HUM purifies the veil that covers knowledge.

Each syllable is itself a prayer:
    -OM is the prayer addressed to the body of the Buddhas;
    -MA the prayer addressed to the speech of the Buddhas;
    -NI the prayer addressed to the mind of the Buddhas;
    -PAD the prayer addressed to the qualities of the Buddhas;
    -ME the prayer addressed to the activity of the Buddhas;
    -HUM gathers the grace of the body, speech, mind, qualities, and activity of Buddhas.

The six syllables correspond to the six paramitas, the six transcendental perfections:
    -OM corresponds to generosity;
    -MA, to ethics;
    -NI, to patience,
    -PAD, to diligence,
    -ME, to concentration,
    -HUM, to wisdom.

The six syllables are also related to the six Buddhas reigning over the six Buddha families:
    -OM corresponds to Ratnasambhava;
    -MA, to Amaoghasiddi;
    -NI, to Vajradhara;
    -PAD, to Vairocana,
    -ME to Amitabha;
    -HUM, to Akshobya.

Lastly, one links them to the six wisdoms:
    - 0M = wisdom of equanimity;
    -MA = wisdom of activity;
    -NI = the wisdom born of itself;
    -PAD = the wisdom of dharmadhatu;
    -ME = discriminating wisdom;
    -HUM =mirror-like wisdom.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2006
    According to HH the Dalai Lama, OM is composed of three sounds: A, U and M (AUM). The A corresponds to the Body, the U to the Speech and the M to the Mind. It is also, as Ven. Genryu has already pointed out, a primordial sound, the sound of creation, as it were, as in: "In the beginning there was the Word, and the Word was God" sort of thing. Other than that, there is no particular meaning as an ordinary word.

Palzang
  • edited January 2006
    OM = Peace, Love and Harmony :)
  • edited January 2006
    One possible meaning for "Om mani padme Hum" is "the Jewel is in the Lotus". Cann't remember where I read this though?????

I agree with Zenmonk, that Om was the first sound uttered.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year, mine was a blast.....literally!!!!!:cheer:
    edited January 2006
    With reagard to "The Jewel is in the Lotus",This might interest you...
    However it is not a meaning of any religious or spiritual significance, and other sites exist which explain not only the meditative deep significance of each syllable, but also give an idea as to pronunciation, depending on the language you choose to use..; (pali, Tibetan....) Just type 'Om Mani Pedme Hung' in your search engine, and the world is your oyster - !
  • edited January 2006
    OM has a Sanscrit and a Tibetan symbol and is perhaps more of a Hindu concept as against Buddhist although it tends to represent more or less the the same thing.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    According to HH the Dalai Lama, OM is composed of three sounds: A, U and M (AUM). The A corresponds to the Body, the U to the Speech and the M to the Mind. It is also, as Ven. Genryu has already pointed out, a primordial sound, the sound of creation, as it were, as in: "In the beginning there was the Word, and the Word was God" sort of thing. Other than that, there is no particular meaning as an ordinary word.

Palzang

And let us never forget the silence that precedes and follows the triple sound, without which the sounds would not be distinguishable.
  • edited January 2006
    Thought this might help a bit:

"Before the beginning, the Brahman (absolute reality) was one and non-dual. It thought, "I am only one -- may I become many." This caused a vibration which eventually became sound, and this sound was Om. Creation itself was set in motion by the vibration of Om. The closest approach to Brahman is that first sound, Om. Thus, this sacred symbol has become emblematic of Brahman just as images are emblematic of material objects.

The vibration produced by chanting Om in the physical universe corresponds to the original vibration that first arose at the time of creation. The sound of Om is also called Pranava, meaning that it sustains life and runs through Prana or breath. Om also represents the four states of the Supreme Being. The three sounds in Om (AUM) represent the waking, dream and deep sleep states and the silence which surrounds Om represents the "Turiya" state.

Because the first of the three states of consciousness is the waking state, it is represented by the sound "A" pronounced like "A" in accounting. Because the dream state of consciousness lies between the waking and the deep sleep states, it is represented by the letter "U" which lies between the "A" and "M". This "U" is pronounced like the "U" in would. The last state of consciousness is the deep sleep state and is represented by "M" pronounced as in "sum." This closes the pronunciation of Om just as deep sleep is the final stage of the mind at rest. Whenever Om is recited in succession there is an inevitable period of silence between two successive Oms. This silence represents the "fourth state" known as "Turiya" which is the state of perfect bliss when the individual self recognizes his identity with the supreme."
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    This is absolutely wonderful!
    You guys are amazing!
    So much info, so quickly and concisely.
    I love the computer age.

:D
  • edited January 2006
    yes, thank you very much.