Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Buddha Laughed?

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited January 2006 in Sanghas
Over the years through my study I have heard that the Buddha was well-liked for his sense of humour amongst other things - was he really? TO me I got the impression that he was a peaceful man incapable of humour, just serenity and happiness.

Comments

• edited January 2006
    There is no serenity without humour.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I would like to think that Buddha enjoyed the peace and joy that humor and laughter can bring.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I love thinking of the Buddha having a good laugh. In fact, I feel my Buddha nature most when I'm having a good laugh at (with) myself. I'm in agreement with Genryu. I think it is essential.
  • edited January 2006
    I agree, Buddha laughed and was joyous.
    Even Jesus had a good chuckle.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Ooooooh! Lordy me, when I suggested to a nun at the covent school I attended, aeons ago, that Jesus must have laughed sometimes, I got a severe rebuke.... and I was told in no uncertain terms that "the prospect of dying, to save the world was no laughing matter!"

Well, being a prissy little madam, who should have known better (no change there then! :lol: ) I spoke to the school priest about this, and he was more patronisingly gentle with me, saying that Jesus as a child must have known happiness and laughter, although he knew from the start what his mission was, blah blah blah....
    But then, he must have spoken to the nun in question about this.... and voilà!
    My life in that school became a misery from that moment on!

I think it's what they call an 'catechismical miracle'....!'
  • edited January 2006
    wow! My parents went to schools where the nuns werelike that. I happen to teach at a private Catholic school and the opposite is true! Our headmaster (the last nun to work within the school) is very Buddha-like. I am sure she doesn't realize it though!
    One of these days, perhaps at my annual review, I'll let her know (lol). She saw that I was reading a book by Lama Surya Das, and she thought it was great!