Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Schwarzenegger VETOED driving licenses

edited January 2006 in General Banter
GOVERNOR VETOED IDENTICAL LEGISLATION ALLOWING ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS TO DRIVE

Despite six failed attempts over the past seven years, state Sen. Gil Cedillo on Tuesday re-introduced his proposal to allow illegal immigrants to apply for driver's licenses.
And no matter what happens politically, the measure is sure to drive a contentious debate far beyond the state Capitol between undocumented workers who say they are in California to meet labor demands, and conservatives who insist the state must not reward those who violate federal immigration laws.

The new legislation, SB 1160, is identical to last year's SB 60, which Gov. Schwarzenegger vetoed in October, saying the measure ``could undermine national security efforts to identify individuals who pose enormous risk to the safety of Californians.''
Schwarzenegger's press secretary reiterated that stance Tuesday.

``The governor remains firm in his commitment to put public safety before any other issue,'' Margita Thompson said. She added that Schwarzenegger still believes that issuing the licenses would be premature because the state is awaiting federal regulations on how to comply with standards Congress has approved for licenses.

Those guidelines, known as Real ID, will require by 2008 that every driver obtain a new license to meet national standards. States would be allowed to issue licenses to drivers who cannot prove legal status, though the license cannot be used for identification purposes.

Both sides raise public safety
Cedillo, D-Los Angeles, says the public is at risk when more than 2 million illegal immigrants drive the state's roads untested, unlicensed and uninsured. ``Californian's are moderate, fair, and they want the same thing all Americans want: security and safety,'' Cedillo told reporters in his office.

He added that Californians also should feel safer if illegal immigrants' names, addresses and photographs were part of a statewide database, such as the one held by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

The licenses he envisions would carry a distinct mark -- something Schwarzenegger suggested two years ago as a condition of his approval, which Cedillo at first rejected, saying the distinction was akin to a Star of David that Jews were made to wear in Nazi Germany.

As he did last year, Cedillo shaped the proposal to comply with the upcoming federal guidelines.
Cedillo offered varying reasons when asked why he believes his proposed law has a chance of approval this legislative session -- depending on whether he was speaking in English or Spanish.
``I think this is a great time to do it,'' Cedillo said in English. ``I think Californians stated very clearly in the last election, they want the governor to keep his word.''

Jokes about governor
But when addressing reporters from Spanish-language media, Cedillo reorganized his top reason to poke fun at the governor who wasn't endorsed to drive motorcycles when he crashed his Harley-Davidson last weekend.

``Well, we have a governor who drives without a license,'' said Cedillo, who added that he expects the governor to have sympathy for the estimated 2.5 million unlicensed drivers.

Since 1999, Cedillo has made six attempts to let illegal immigrants obtain licenses. Two bills were vetoed by Gov. Gray Davis. One was signed by him then repealed by the Legislature, one was denied a key hearing and two were rejected by Schwarzenegger.
Some analysts questioned Cedillo's persistence, given the bill's unpopular history, fears of terrorism, the state's pressing needs and a gubernatorial election year.

Opinion polls show Davis improved his standing with Latino voters when he signed Cedillo's bill in 2003, but in doing so he lost favor with the much larger share of non-Latino voters in the recall election.

``I think it puts Democrats in the Legislature, and those perhaps running for statewide office, in a very uncomfortable position,'' said Sherry Bebitch Jeffe, a senior scholar at the school of Policy, Planning and Development at the University of Southern California. ``Republicans will probably feel more amenable to a veto than a signing.''
Immigrant advocates are grateful for the new bill.

``I think Cedillo is doing his part as a legislator who worries for the safety of all Californians,'' said José Sandoval, a San Jose resident who leads an organization, Voluntarios de la Comunidad.

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2006
    What's the problem?

I honestly don't see why we need to provide people, that are here illegally, with valid driver's licenses for a country/state they're not supposed to be in.

I think instead of giving them validity for being in a country illegally (by providing them with a sort of legal documentation) we should deport them. Place them safely back in their own country - unless there is a "political asylum" issue.

America gets slammed no matter what we do. No matter what happens - we become the bad guy. We also have enough people in our own country with no food, no money to pay for heat in the winter, no health care - without worrying about people that aren't even a part of this nation.

Charity starts at home.

-bf
  • edited January 2006
    The back bone of California is illegal labor.Without them America would of re-invented slavery.You are just in denial simply because next time the goverment hold a amnesty for "illegal's" you will find the first spoken tongue of USA will be Spanish. Who else will would work in bomb shell factories for less than minimum wage.

"Charity starts at home" I bet your a big tipper at the local El Torito .

HH
    edited January 2006
    You know, Herman....

I was going to respond to this, but I refuse to get drug into your trolling for arguments.

You can be right. I'm in denial. I don't tip Hispanic people in some of the local Hispanic restaurants because I hate <Herman gets to insert his racially denigrating comment>'s. I'm also the one strongarming all these poor, innocent victims into sneaking into this country and working for less than minimum wage.

Does that about cover how much of an ass I am?

You got me good.

Respond if you want - I'm done with this thread.

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial]GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA[/FONT][/FONT]
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    AMEN!!
    edited January 2006
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial]GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA[/FONT][/FONT]

Simon,

I don't get it.

Help a poor soul.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    BF, check this out.... Brill!!
    edited January 2006
    I read it.

I'm still wondering if Simon was trying to teach me something.

-bf
    edited January 2006
    Every time something is posted, both writer and reader is open to learn new things....

*She said....

Diplomatically.....*
    edited January 2006
    And that is.... .... .... ?

-bf
    edited January 2006
    Ooooh, I dunno... you'll have to ask Simon that, he posted it....

Me? i'm jus' learning it might be better for me to jus' butt out completely, and keep my diplomatic yap shut....!! :rolleyesc ;)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    It was a suggestion that both contributors take time to look at the question they are arguing over through the lens of the Dharma, by the light of the Buddha and in the community of the Sangha, and cease doing such damage to themselves.
  • edited January 2006
    Well Simon I stand by our Latino friends however I hear what you say.I am of am always mindful that this is WWW and Buddhism isn't an exclusive faith to white folk. I am also aware that South / Central America and has a growing middle class and now questions it's attachment to the Catholic Church. I can recall reading that Buddhism was of particular interest to Brazil.
    Anyways Buddhafoot knows Charity and compassion are the same thing. I am sorry if I offended him.
    edited January 2006
    It was a suggestion that both contributors take time to look at the question they are arguing over through the lens of the Dharma, by the light of the Buddha and in the community of the Sangha, and cease doing such damage to themselves.

Simon,

You make an excellent point. And again, you give me food for thought.

I actually didn't think that the question was a bad or malicious question. That's why I posted a reply.

But when honest opinions are given, for bad or worse, right or wrong - and they're met with denigrating replies that make assumptions about what I do to others in my community - I have no problem letting someone know that I won't continue to partake in what they are offering me. Obviously, there are opinions formed of what I do and how I act and .... that's fine. And, if self-deprecation makes someone feel like they've gained something - that's fine with me. Because, what others think of me truly has no bearing on what or who I am.

Now, if my comments offended others and their participation in this sangha OR affected them adversely, I offer my apologies. My "intent" in participating in this group is not to offend - I truly hope that my participation on this site brings something of a positive nature to those who participate.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2006
    You're right, Herman. The late Chagdud Tulku established several centers in Brazil and actually moved there for the last portion of his life. Obviously the Catholic Church is deeply engrained there, but there seems to be at least some interest. Other South American countries as well.

Palzang