Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

When someone reaches Nirvana, where do they go?

VagabondVagabond Explorer
edited May 2011 in Buddhism Basics
When someone reaches Nirvana, where do they go when they die? I'm going to assume there are several answers to this question, seeing that one can't prove or disprove it. I'm sure many buddhists believe in heaven, from what I've heard too. Someone enlighten me, lol

Comments

• Jason_PDKJason_PDK Explorer
    Enlightenment is to end the cycle of birth and death. When you have reached Nirvana you will not be reborn again,
    As far as I know.

Jason
  • Seeker567Seeker567 Explorer
    You simply cease to exist.
  • VagabondVagabond Explorer
    Okay, very interesting. No soul?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I am not aware of a mental process outside the body. Which would continue after death. At the same time buddha advises that we are not form, the body.
    No, no soul. (In my view)
    It reduces a self centered attitude. In Christianity you have total faith in God, which helps reduce self centered attitude in Buddhism there is the idea of no soul.

Jason
    :)
    What about karma though? I think I heard that in Hinduism, karma can be explain as energy that cannot be destroyed, but has equal and opposite reactions, such as potential energy and all that. Are there any similarities in Buddhism?
    Karma is the law of cause and effect. As far as I know, that is not the case in Buddhism.

Jason
  • If the person has been practicing Zen, they go to a laundromat.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    The same thing happens to us all when we die. The only thing that changes so greatly is how we see our existence and the world while we're alive. Everything we are has always been, and will be new things, but we at least can find peace.

Realizing Nirvana is like a schizophrenic suddenly being cured. Think of it that way... we're all insane. :) At least that's how I see it. When we let go of this insane view of the world, this insane clinging to what can not be grasped that causes us pain, we are free.
  • If the person has been practicing Zen, they go to a laundromat.
    I can't stop laughing. :lol: You have such a good sense of humor.

With metta,
  • A well suited place to honor the blessed ones I'm sure.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited May 2011
    for those that think we (whichever concept of "self") cease to exist, remember that's the materialistic view... which is considered (in the sutras) as wrong view.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    When someone reaches Nirvana, where do they go when they die? I'm going to assume there are several answers to this question, seeing that one can't prove or disprove it. I'm sure many buddhists believe in heaven, from what I've heard too. Someone enlighten me, lol

Actually, there aren't any answers to this question :) Many Buddhists do believe in Heavenly realms and wish to be reborn there. However those heavenly places are just a place from which one can more easily get Nirvana, not nirvana itself. "Where does a Buddha go" is considered one of the "undeclared things" because the question is not applicable and the answer is not connected with the ending of suffering.

This is how the Buddha answered this question:
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.072.than.html

"But, Master Gotama, the monk whose mind is thus released: Where does he reappear?"

"'Reappear,' Vaccha, doesn't apply."

"In that case, Master Gotama, he does not reappear."

"'Does not reappear,' Vaccha, doesn't apply."

"...both does & does not reappear."

"...doesn't apply."

"...neither does nor does not reappear."

"...doesn't apply."

"How is it, Master Gotama, when Master Gotama is asked ...he says, '...doesn't apply' in each case. At this point, Master Gotama, I am befuddled; at this point, confused. The modicum of clarity coming to me from your earlier conversation is now obscured."

"Of course you're befuddled, Vaccha. Of course you're confused. Deep, Vaccha, is this phenomenon, hard to see, hard to realize, tranquil, refined, beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise. For those with other views, other practices, other satisfactions, other aims, other teachers, it is difficult to know. That being the case, I will now put some questions to you. Answer as you see fit. What do you think, Vaccha: If a fire were burning in front of you, would you know that, 'This fire is burning in front of me'?"

"...yes..."

"And suppose someone were to ask you, Vaccha, 'This fire burning in front of you, dependent on what is it burning?' Thus asked, how would you reply?"

"...I would reply, 'This fire burning in front of me is burning dependent on grass & timber as its sustenance.'"

"If the fire burning in front of you were to go out, would you know that, 'This fire burning in front of me has gone out'?"

"...yes..."

"And suppose someone were to ask you, 'This fire that has gone out in front of you, in which direction from here has it gone? East? West? North? Or south?' Thus asked, how would you reply?"

"That doesn't apply, Master Gotama. Any fire burning dependent on a sustenance of grass and timber, being unnourished — from having consumed that sustenance and not being offered any other — is classified simply as 'out' (unbound)."

"Even so, Vaccha, any physical form by which one describing the Tathagata (Buddha) would describe him:... is deep, boundless, hard to fathom, like the sea. 'Reappears' doesn't apply. 'Does not reappear' doesn't apply. 'Both does & does not reappear' doesn't apply. 'Neither reappears nor does not reappear' doesn't apply.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Don't worry about it ... there's a job waiting for you at the 7-11. :)
  • You simply cease to exist.
    What happens to the "very subtle mind" of an enlightened one when they die? Some still have karmic imprints they need to work out from past lives, according to info from another discussion recently.

• Lazy_eyeLazy_eye Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I've seen some fairly heated discussions among Theravada Buddhists about what happens when nirvana is finally attained. One camp says that's it -- the process of being just comes to an end, and nothingness follows. But then there are other teachers who propose that nirvana is not a kind of annihilation, but a different sort of state which is beyond anything we can imagine now.
    The consciousness of nirvana is said to be "without surface" (anidassanam), for it doesn't land. Because the consciousness-aggregate covers only consciousness that is near or far, past, present, or future — i.e., in connection with space and time — consciousness without surface is not included in the aggregates. It's not eternal because eternity is a function of time. And because non-local also means undefined, the Buddha insisted that an awakened person — unlike ordinary people — can't be located or defined in any relation to the aggregates in this life; after death, he/she can't be described as existing, not existing, neither, or both, because descriptions can apply only to definable things. (Thanissaro Bhikkhu)
    In Mahayana, meanwhile, practitioners aspire ultimately to becoming a buddha, and the scriptures tell us that buddhas are everywhere, governing over their pure lands and teaching the dharma. Or running a laundromat.
  • edited May 2011
    Mahayana practitioners aspire to return to life as bodhisattvas, working in any field that allows them to serve humanity and bring an end to suffering.

I'd agree that after death, there's a state most can't imagine now. In Vajrayana, this is called the bardo state. I wish I could remember which thread it was where someone said enlightened beings still have karma to work out from past lives, so they return in order to do that. But I think the historical Buddha probably didn't have any neg. karma left.

re: Thanissaro Bhikku's statement: how would anyone be described as existing after death, anyway? There's no self, not to mention no body or spirit. There's only the "very subtle mind", if that.
  • Lazy_eyeLazy_eye Veteran
    My understanding is that bodhisattvas eventually go on to become buddhas -- after they have fulfilled their bodhisattva vows.

Since beings are numberless, delusions inexhaustible and dharma gates boundless, that's likely to take some time! :)

As for Thanissaro, it's a good question. I think other Theravadins who disagree with his position have asked this (or similar questions) also.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Where does who go when they reach Nirvana?
  • this is taken froma book written by the dalai lama...

''In buddhism you can find the distinction between ordinary beings and superior beings, or the Arya. This basis can be made on their respective levels of consciousness or realization. ANyone who has gained direct intuitive realization of emptiness, or the ultimate nature of reality, is said to be an Arya according to Mahayana, and anyone who has not gained that realization is called an ordinary being. In relation to the three realms, the subtler the level of consciousness an individual attains, the subtler the realm of existence he can inhabit.

For example, if a person's ordinary mode of being is very much within the context of desire and attachment- that is to say that he tends to develop attachment to whatever he perceives, like desirable forms or pleasant sensations and so on - then such attachment to physical objects, thought processes and sensory experiences leads to a form of existence which is confined within the desire realm, both now and in the future. At the same time, there are people who have transcended attachment to objects of immediate perception and physical sensations, but who are attached to the inner states of joy or bliss. That type of person creates causes that will lead him or her to future rebirths where physical existence has a much more refined form.

Furthermore, there are those who have transcended attachment not only to physical sensations, but also to pleasurable inner sensations of joy and bliss. They tend more towards a state of equanimity. Their level of consciousness is much more subtler than the other two, but they are still attached to a particular mode of being. The grosser levels of their mind can lead to the fourth level of the form realm, while the subtler attachment towards equanimity leads to the formless realms. So this is the way we relate to three realms to level of consciousness.

On the basis of this cosmology, Buddhism talks about the infinite process of the universe, coming into being and going through a process of dissolution before again coming into being. This process has to be understood in relation to the three realms of existence. It is from the third level of the form realms downwards that the world is subject to continuous process of arising and dissolution. From the fourth level of the form realm upwards, which includes the formless realm, the world is beyond this process which we could call the evolution of the physical universe.''
  • edited May 2011
    You simply cease to exist.
    What happens to the "very subtle mind" of an enlightened one when they die? Some still have karmic imprints they need to work out from past lives, according to info from another discussion recently.

Regarding OP's question & the above quotes, and to iterate seeker242's excellent response: they "...[don't] apply" (Majjhima Nikaya 72).
    b@eze
    Bucky
  • Mahayana practitioners....after death, ...a state.... In Vajrayana, this is called the bardo state.... I think the historical Buddha probably didn't have any neg. karma left.
    "doesn't apply" (Majjhima Nikaya 72).
    re: Thanissaro Bhikku's statement: how would anyone be described as existing after death, anyway? There's no self, not to mention no body or spirit. There's only the "very subtle mind", if that.
    Ajaan Geoff's (Thannssaro Bhikkhu) "Mind Like Fire Unbound" answers this. It's a fun little read:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/likefire/index.html

Regards
    Bucky

• ...bodhisattvas...beings...numberless, delusions inexhaustible and dharma gates boundless....
    b@eze

Buddhism isn't nihilist, just think of anatta considering the middle way.
  • ...a book written by the dalai lama...
    regards

• edited May 2011
    OK, so we know BuckyG isn't a Mahayanist. Not a big deal. Mahayanists and Theravadans often have different answers to important questions like this. Happens all the time on this forum. What applies and doesn't apply is in the eye of the beholder. Or practitioner.

I checked out that text, read the abstract. It says: after death "the Tathagata dwells with unrestricted awareness". So apparently the Buddha gets to have something resembling a permanent self. Of some sort. While the rest of us just get zip, or if were Mahayanists, we get a "very subtle mind". Although upekka said recently that Theravada also seems to allow for something akin to the very subtle mind, after death.

But the Buddha also said, in Bucky's link, that the nature of the Tathagata after death is an imponderable. But the OP probably didn't intend to ascertain the nature of the Tathagata after death, but of us more ordinary beings. We've already answered that from the Mahayana perspective. We, or what's left of us (the "very subtle mind", which really isn't "us" anymore, they say), go to the bardo, Vagabond. Now it's the Theravadans' turn to have a go at the OP.
    for those that think we (whichever concept of "self") cease to exist, remember that's the materialistic view... which is considered (in the sutras) as wrong view.
    Could you explain this, Vincenzi?

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Where in any sutra does it say after death the Tathagata dwells anywhere? I think that's a drawn conclusion of some kind rather than anything the Buddha said. The Buddha always prodded, such as guiding one young monk's mind on questions of trying to define what the Tathagata "is" and the monk not being able to actually say the Tathagata is anything. Therefore there's no way to define where a Tathagata goes. This is the same for everyone; we've defined ourselves as being something we're not.
    Where in any sutra does it say after death the Tathagata dwells anywhere? I think that's a drawn conclusion of some kind rather than anything the Buddha said. The Buddha always prodded, such as guiding one young monk's mind on questions of trying to define what the Tathagata "is" and the monk not being able to actually say the Tathagata is anything. Therefore there's no way to define where a Tathagata goes. This is the same for everyone; we've defined ourselves as being something we're not.
    the meaning is in the concept tathagata (thus gone, thus come).

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    It just means the Awakened One, the teacher of men and gods. If we start taking ambiguous words and using them to claim this or that happens after death, or that the Buddha taught this or that happens after death, we're stretching. Thus come means the Buddha has arisen; thus gone refers to severing the bonds, the fetters, of this world and rising above it.
  • edited May 2011
    Where in any sutra does it say after death the Tathagata dwells anywhere?
    It doesn't say where he dwells, it says he dwells "in unrestricted awareness", describing a state of mind, not a place. Idk, cloud, check out the text at Bucky's link, and see what you think.There's plenty of suttric material there. But it does sound like he has a self that abides after death. That does sound odd, no?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I've been looking through that sutra, at http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.072.than.html and see nothing that says this. He was only rejecting all of the views because they were based on him actually being something separately existing in the first place. "Tathagata" is just a conventional label; there is no Tathagata.

Unless I'm missing something, which I await breathlessly for someone to point out to me. :) I think people are just drawing conclusions from all the No's in order to make a Yes, to say well if it's none of those things he must've meant that "this" exists after death, because they're of the presupposition that there's some kinda transmigration going on.
  • edited May 2011
    I'm saying you have to read Thanissaro's booklet at that link and pore through it to find the right passage, and I'm sure he gives references. I only read the abstract, the summary at the beginning. I doubt Thanissaro plucked that out of thin air and published it, but...idk. :-/ Maybe Bucky knows.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    In short, this is what the Buddha is saying, and it's not saying there is something which is reborn but rather that such a question is wrong from the get-go (the bolded part is worth paying close attention to):
    "But, Master Gotama, the monk whose mind is thus released: Where does he reappear?"

"'Reappear,' Vaccha, doesn't apply."

"In that case, Master Gotama, he does not reappear."

"'Does not reappear,' Vaccha, doesn't apply."

"...both does & does not reappear."

"...doesn't apply."

"...neither does nor does not reappear."

"...doesn't apply."

"How is it, Master Gotama, when Master Gotama is asked if the monk reappears... does not reappear... both does & does not reappear... neither does nor does not reappear, he says, '...doesn't apply' in each case. At this point, Master Gotama, I am befuddled; at this point, confused. The modicum of clarity coming to me from your earlier conversation is now obscured."

"Of course you're befuddled, Vaccha. Of course you're confused. Deep, Vaccha, is this phenomenon, hard to see, hard to realize, tranquil, refined, beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise. For those with other views, other practices, other satisfactions, other aims, other teachers, it is difficult to know. That being the case, I will now put some questions to you. Answer as you see fit. What do you think, Vaccha: If a fire were burning in front of you, would you know that, 'This fire is burning in front of me'?"

"...yes..."

"And suppose someone were to ask you, Vaccha, 'This fire burning in front of you, dependent on what is it burning?' Thus asked, how would you reply?"

"...I would reply, 'This fire burning in front of me is burning dependent on grass & timber as its sustenance.'"

"If the fire burning in front of you were to go out, would you know that, 'This fire burning in front of me has gone out'?"

"...yes..."

"And suppose someone were to ask you, 'This fire that has gone out in front of you, in which direction from here has it gone? East? West? North? Or south?' Thus asked, how would you reply?"

"That doesn't apply, Master Gotama. Any fire burning dependent on a sustenance of grass and timber, being unnourished — from having consumed that sustenance and not being offered any other — is classified simply as 'out' (unbound)."

"Even so, Vaccha, any physical form by which one describing the Tathagata would describe him: That the Tathagata has abandoned, its root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising. Freed from the classification of form, Vaccha, the Tathagata is deep, boundless, hard to fathom, like the sea. 'Reappears' doesn't apply. 'Does not reappear' doesn't apply. 'Both does & does not reappear' doesn't apply. 'Neither reappears nor does not reappear' doesn't apply.
  • When someone reaches Nirvana, where do they go?

If Zen practitioners go to the laundromat...

Vajrayana practitioners end up in the diamond lane...

• OK. That makes sense. I agree, if there's something to this "dwelling in unrestricted awareness" after death business, I'd be interested to know the reference myself. Here's a question for you, Cloud: this matter of the fire going out applies to enlightened beings, not ordinary people, right? Ordinary people still have karmic imprints to work out, their fire isn't extinguished, there are still conditions to give rise to rebirth, as I understand it.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    If the fire doesn't go out, it lights another fire. It's not the same fire. ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Oh - wait - is this yet another re-birth thread??
    Well knock me down, we haven't had one of these along for oooohh... ten minutes!

Long time no see!!

Whatever happened to personal research and in-depth study??
  • OK, so we know BuckyG isn't a Mahayanist.
    How would you KNOW that?!

• Bucky's link
    seeker242 linked it first...i just cited the codex #s
    regards

• When we ask wrong questions, we do not get right answers ... empirically it is not possible to answer the question of the OP - whatever our beliefs, level of knowledge, wisdom and practice, no-one here has a death certificate.
    Oh - wait - is this yet another re-birth thread??
    Well knock me down, we haven't had one of these along for oooohh... ten minutes!

Long time no see!!

Whatever happened to personal research and in-depth study??
    My bad man, I'm sure things like this can get very annoying. And I do enjoy in-depth study, for I've studied many religions in the past. I just feel very rusty on this one is all. I'll get into the groove of things again. Plus I'm going out to get books on Buddhism today.

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited May 2011
    It is not bad - rather, you will get lots of opinions - and people thrusting quotes of various types of " scripture " at you - possibly, conflicting in information and with varying degrees of intensity, depending on the personality of the person responding ... I think Federica's suggestion of personal research ( which is supported by every bit of Buddhist writing I have encountered ) is a safe bet ... go well.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    I'm interested, Vagabond, now that you've read the various ways different Buddhists from different schools answer the question, and considering you must have done some of your own thinking on the subject, how would you answer the question? When someone reaches Nirvana, achieves Enlightenment, is released from the cycle of Samsara or the wheel of Karma, however you like to put it...where do you go?

What do you say?
  • When someone reaches Nirvana, where do they go when they die?
    You're confusing the "me" with our inherent beingness, which aren't the same thing. You, Fred, who likes French fries and drives a Toyota, do not exist. Thus, "you" (Fred) don't go anywhere. Your personality is a figment of your imagination and it doesn't carry on after you die. That's more the Judeo-Christian-Muslim type belief that the soul is who you are, and that the soul physically goes someplace after we die, whether that be heaven, hell, or purgatory.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I checked out that text, read the abstract. It says: after death "the Tathagata dwells with unrestricted awareness". So apparently the Buddha gets to have something resembling a permanent self. Of some sort. While the rest of us just get zip, or if were Mahayanists, we get a "very subtle mind". Although upekka said recently that Theravada also seems to allow for something akin to the very subtle mind, after death.

This particular commentary stands out to me, among the things posted. It's comparing the vedic analogy of "fire going out" to the Buddhas version.

Whether this re-evaluation of the image of fire — seeing its extinguishing as preferable to its burning — predated the founding of Buddhism, was influenced by it, or simply paralleled it, no one can say for sure, as there are no firm dates for any of the Upaniṣads. At any rate, in both stages of the Vedic attitude toward fire, the thought of a fire going out carried no connotations of going out of existence at all. Instead, it implied a return to an omnipresent, immortal state. This has led some scholars to assume that, in using the image of an extinguished fire to illustrate the goal he taught, the Buddha was simply adopting the Vedic position wholesale and meant it to carry the same implications as the last quotation above: a pleasant eternal existence for a tranquil soul.

But when we look at how the Buddha actually used the image of extinguished fire in his teachings, we find that he approached the Vedic idea of latent fire from another angle entirely: If latent fire is everywhere all at once, it is nowhere in particular. If it is conceived as always present in everything, it has to be so loosely defined that it has no defining characteristics, nothing by which it might be known at all. Thus, instead of using the subsistence of latent fire as an image for immortality, he uses the diffuse, indeterminate nature of extinguished fire as understood by the Vedists to illustrate the absolute indescribability of the person who has reached the Buddhist goal.

My personal interpretation of that: If nirvana is non-duality, emptiness, unrestricted awareness or whatever name you want to call it, then there is nothing left that could be called a Buddha, because if there was, then it would not be non-duality or emptiness. Does that make sense? :)

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    When we die we are reborn again in samsara. When the tathagata dies the result is imponderable.
  • Regarding rebirth threads, the membership has done quite well in the recent threads, compared to the past. The recent threads have been incredibly informative, and quite amicable. Letting the newbies have their turn at the topic has worked out well.
  • "You simply cease to exist."

That IS Nirvana. :)
    "You simply cease to exist."

That IS Nirvana. :)
    Well, if life IS suffering, that makes perfect sense.
  • Well, if life IS suffering, that makes perfect sense.
    Buddha didn't teach that life is suffering.