Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ultimate Refuge: Self or Triple Gem?

edited May 2011 in Sanghas
It appears to me from scripture (Pali Nikayas [collections]) that our ultimate refuge is our own self & not the Triple Gem. Is refuge in the Triple Gem a post Pali Nikayas fabrication?

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Addition might be a differing choice of words from fabrication. But I really do not know.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    The ultimate refuge is the mind (your own mind, rather than "self"), but to truly understand this we take first refuge in the Triple Gem. Our efforts in walking the path lead us to understanding that mastery of our minds is mastery of the world, and we can rise above suffering through the Buddha's teachings and meditation.
  • edited May 2011
    Jeffrey: "addition" is better...thanks...Cloud, i meant "self"...i like your logic, but i don't think the order--Triple Gem first, "self," second--is universally applicable
  • VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Well, since there is no inherent self, Cloud is right, from a Buddhist sense. The Buddha said that there is no self, individual, nor universal that one can take ultimate refuge in. Understanding the Buddhadharma leads one to this realization, only then can one take refuge in ones self, knowing directly it's relative nature through experiential knowledge of Buddhadharma, the Triple Gem.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Well I probably didn't say it the way I really mean it either. This whole thing is learning to understand and master the mind, and it's not really a first/second kinda thing.
  • Well I probably didn't say it the way I really mean it either. This whole thing is learning to understand and master the mind, and it's not really a first/second kinda thing.
    Sure, even coming to the triple gem as a refugee arises due to self contemplation.
  • Cloud & Vajraheart: Word. :rockon:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    yes, I agree with Cloud... it's not a chicken and egg thing, either.....
  • yes, I agree with Cloud... it's not a chicken and egg thing, either.....
    which implies it's "dormant" within? (the same place--within--the Buddha instructed us to look for the causes of true happiness)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Things are as they are, because that just so happens to be what they are....

"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits."

Satchel Paige US baseball player (1906 - 1982)

good Policy.....
  • The ultimate refuge is the Dhamma imo.

Here is Buddha's exhortation upon his great disciple, Sariputta's death.

[For those who — now or after I am gone — remain with their self as an island, their self as their refuge, without anything else as a refuge, with the Dhamma as an island, the Dhamma as their refuge, without anything else as a refuge, they will be the highest of the monks who desire training.]

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn47/sn47.013.than.html
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    For me, letting go of self it's one of the core wisdoms. Hence Triple gem is where it's at, imo.
  • The Triple Gem is timeless, whereas the Self is transitory. And I also agree with the Buddha's exhortation above. The Triple Gem leads to transcendence of self.
  • The Triple Gem leads to transcendence of self.
    It's pretty easy to transcend self without Triple Gem refuge.

• I don't there's anything wrong with refuge in our own self, nor the triple gem. However, one should be careful with attachment.

1. Among the fetters (samyojana) that bind to existence, theism is particularly subject to those of personality-belief, attachment to "rites and rituals", and desire for fine-material existence or for a "heaven of the sense sphere," as the case may be.

2. it is at this point that any belief in the purifying efficacy of "rites and rituals" evaporates

3. "He considers properly: 'This is dukkha; this is the cause of dukkha; this is the cessation of dukkha; this is the practice leading to cessation of dukkha.' In him who thus considers properly, the following three fetters disappear, namely, the illusion of Self,[20] uncertainty[21] and belief in the efficacy of mere "rites and rituals".[22] These are called the āsavas which should be removed through vision.

1. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanaponika/godidea.html
    2. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bullitt/theravada.html
    3. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.002.bpit.html
  • edited May 2011
    Buddha teaches all of us to create an inner island of Nibbana. This island serves as a refuge from suffering for us no matter what, and is to be considered the safest of refuges. However, in order to create that island, we need to take refuge in the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha. This means that if we take refuge in the Buddha, by recognizing that he is a fully awakened being who has himself made a complete end of suffering, we will be able to make that inner island of Nibbana for ourselves. If we take refuge in the Dhamma, meaning that we accept the teachings of the Buddha as true, and practice learning to see and recognize them as they arise and pass away within us, we will be able to create the inner island of Nibbana for ourselves. If we take refuge in the Sangha, it means we turn to those beings who have come before us, learned from the Buddha, and made an end of suffering for themselves by practicing the Dhamma. We accept them as our companions in the holy life, and we accept them as beings who are worthy of respect, and who have the ability to teach us to successfully make an end of suffering for ourselves also. By doing this we will also be able to create the inner island of Nibbana.
    So in short, Nibbana is the ultimate refuge, and taking refuge in the triple gem leads to the successful manifestation of that ultimate refuge.
    Good luck :) .
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    One can't be too "attached" to the Triple Gem.

It is both the totality and the essence of Buddhism.