Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mundane vs. Supramundane Teachings

124»

Comments

• @dennis60

You sound very angry, and I have empathy for the difficulty in your present moment.
    Oh dear...i better jump in and bat for Dennis60

Dennis60 certainly does not sound angry to me nor I am in a position to comment on his state of mind

Dennis60 is simply expressing his views on how Dharma is transmitted

(aMatt...falling back into personality psychoanalyst mode...)

:wow:
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    It is book learning, not experience. They would be and should be shunned by all practicing Buddhists because they do not really listen, they preach.
    I mentioned already, often one's mind does not understand the transmission of scripture. For one, it is like trying to read Chinese. However, once one learns to communicate in Chinese, communication is as ordinary as in one's native language.

Scripture has transmitted Dhamma for centuries. In my experience, far more reliable & practical than "chopping wood" and "carrying water".

Regards

:)

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    surely not scripture alone. it is experience that brings us the dharma. the scriptures just reflect such experiences.

it's better to have one moment of meditation then to have read all of the scriptures. an ego can hide behind knowledge, so it
    also can be a pitfall. "reliable and practical" is just your belief.

all methods are reliable and practical based on "your mind". there is no one size fits all when it comes to the dharma.

also one can communicate the dharma well if they study hard. just because you can communicate the dharma doesn't mean that individual has realized such dharma.

but i am sure you understand what i am saying. so this is for the rest of the people here.
    edited May 2011
    the topic of this thread is Mundane vs. Supramundane Teachings

try sticking to the subject, rather than getting caught up in discursive (monkey) mind

i understanding what you are saying but i get the impression you do not

:om:
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    supramundane teachings are the teachings one realize in deep meditation or spontaneously in everyday life.
    one can chop wood and drink water and realize the nature of reality. there are many methods.
    you do not acquire the essence of such teachings by reading alone. that is the point of my post.

dennis60 made an excellent point.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    The irony is awesome! I'm not hungry for worms today.

Dennis60 certainly does not sound angry to me nor I am in a position to comment on his state of mind

I didn't analyze his personality. I said he sounded angry, which is an observation and validation of a potential emotion that fueled his post, not a judgement of his temperment. We do see different things! :lol:

You're the one analyzing my personality... saying I'm falling into a mode of psychoanalyst...

Too... much... irony... circuits...overloading....

:lol:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    @dennis60

You sound very angry, and I have empathy for the difficulty in your present moment.

Dennis60 is simply expressing his views on how Dharma is transmitted

:wow:
    the topic of this thread is Mundane vs. Supramundane Teachings

try sticking to the subject, rather than getting caught up in discursive (monkey) mind
    Follow your own advice, DD. Stick to the topic, quit hijacking the thread for petty bickering. That goes for the rest of you, please.

• VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    what if both are necessary? considering there is even a distinction...
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    what if both are necessary? considering there is even a distinction...
    I imagine both are, for the serious practitioner. My question was: what to do about some apparent contradictions between one and the other categories?

edited June 2011
    :lol:
  • Hi compassionate_warrior:
    No worries.
    @BuckyG...Some members have called into question the idea that the Buddha would have taught (to anyone) something he, himself, didn't believe.
    No one knows precisely what the Buddha taught.
    May all beings find the causes of true happiness within.
    bucky
  • Hi all,
    You can't get to "transcendence" without "the mundane."
    May you all beings find the causes of true happiness within.
  • To a buddha relative truth and ultimate truth are not separate.
    Do you think there is an equivalence between relative / ultimate truth and mundane / noble Right View?

Spiny
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Spiny it seems that way to me. Mundane truths are about how to go about life. Right view is about how to let go of grasping and turn towards reality.