Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Sufi Essay

Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
edited May 2011 in Faith & Religion
I did not read the whole piece but in case anyone is interested:

Love's Universe, by Kabir Helminski

The School of Love

We are all students in the school of love, although it may take us a long time and much suffering to admit this fact. Something obstinately refuses to see the obvious. Its amazing how stubborn and slow we are, and how often we still forget. We forget whenever we think ourselves more important than others, whenever we see our own desires and goals as more important than the feelings and well-being of those we love. We forget whenever we blame others for what we ourselves have been guilty of. We forget whenever we lose sight of the fact that in this school of love it is love that we all are trying to learn.

Yunus Emre, the first and greatest Turkish Sufi poet, says, "Let us master this science and read this book of love. God instructs; Love is His school."

We have all been failures in love. This is our conscious starting point. Only a saint is an expert and complete lover, because only a saint has been freed by God of what stands in the way of love.

We can practice meditation and seek spiritual knowledge for years and still overlook the central importance of love. One of the subtlest forms of egoism is when we engage ourselves in a practice to be more spiritual than others, when we turn spirituality into an arena for our ambition. But loves eventually forgives even that.

I do not really know if this modern world is further from the truth than many civilizations that have preceded it. Yet so much of what occupies our attention is a fiction, and through these fictions we live a life of delusion, of separation, of selfishness, of loneliness. Behind our sadness and anxiety is a simple lack of love, which translates into a lack of meaning and purpose.

Unless we look with the eyes of love we cannot see things as they are. We have searched for love in all the wrong places: in building ourselves up, in making ourselves more special, more perfect, more powerful. Love's substitutes are driving the world. We strive after anything but love, because love is so close we overlook it.

Full link:
http://www.sufism.org/books/sacred/loveuni.html

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    the more and more i get into my head the more and more my heart smiles.
    as buddhists we talk so much, but when we shut up the heart smiles.

all the answers and everything we ever wanted in right in our hearts.
    what we long for be it money, partners, security, bliss, life is right in the heart.
    it's always been there and we just cast it aside because it was so simple.

why did form come from emptiness? it was an expression of love.
    lobster
  • You may be interested in this extract from the great mystic Mother Julian of Norwich:
    Revelations of Divine Love
    Julian of Norwich

Chapter 86

And from the time it [the Revelation] was shown, I often asked to know what was Our Lord's meaning. And fifteen years after, and more, I was answered in inward understanding, saying this:
    "Would you know your Lord's meaning in this?
    Learn it well.
    Love was his meaning.
    Who showed it you? Love.
    What did he show you? Love
    Why did he show you? For Love.
    Hold fast to this and you shall learn and know more about love, but you shall never know not learn about anything except love for ever."

So was I taught that love was our Lord's meaning.
    And I saw full surely that before ever God made us, he loved us. And this love was never quenched, nor ever shall be.
    And in this love he has done all his works.
    And in this love he has made all things profitable to us.
    And in this love our life is everlasting.
    In our making we had beginning, but the love in which he made us was in him from without beginning.
    In which love we have our beginning.
    And all this shall we see in God without end.
  • Many thanks @Simonthepilgrim
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Abu and Simon thank you for your posts. It would seem that all of us who seek, whether it be Buddhanature, the face of God, the divine, have this common thread running through it that in the end we find that it is love. In searching for ourselves we discover ourselves in everyone we meet, knowing that all their pain joy and love is our pain, our love and joy. It is only through love and compassion that we will ever see the divine or our original nature. If there are any recommendations for books in other traditions, be they Christian mystics , sufism ect, that explore this theme I would love your suggestions.
    All the best,
    Todd
    lobster
  • Dear Todd

Thankyou very much for your comments. Yes, the lesson is love, and yes the price and outcome will have to be love.

My own experience is reading may touch the heart, inspire and help us soar, but it is in the daily practice, that things could become possible. My own tradition is Zen Buddhism and in that a meditation practice, and kindness is emphasised. I do think it is possible to 'understand' things, but I do not know how far and deep and intimately that can go without a sustained, patient practice of contemplation, reflection, meditation and stillness.

In silence we trust.

Best wishes,
    Abu

On your book recommendations, I mainly skim from Rumi, and many of the Sufi mystics like Kabir but I understand Thomas Merton also has reflections. A website which contains many snippets or quotes from across the world is: http://pbase.com/1heart If you search that site, there are various pictures and messages from all traditions.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    "I do think it is possible to 'understand' things, but I do not know how far and deep and intimately that can go without a sustained, patient practice of contemplation, reflection, meditation and stillness".
    I would agree you Abu. Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.
    My best to you,
    Todd
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited May 2012
    from Love's Universe, by Kabir Helminski

Every human being is the creation of love and a beloved child of the universe. And every human being is free to turn its back on love.
    Water says to the dirty, “Come here.”
    The dirty one says, “But I am so ashamed.”
    Water says, “How will you be made clean without me.”

—Rumi, Mathnawi II, 1366-7;

...just another snippet from the article Floating Abu linked us to. Great Stuff!

The URL, though, has now changed. Just do a google search for:
    Love's Universe, by Kabir Helminski
    (I tried linking the url, but it changed to this thread.)
  • Thankyou Nirvana

Rumi again:

Only Breath

Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu
    Buddhist, sufi, or zen. Not any religion

or cultural system. I am not from the East
    or the West, not out of the ocean or up

from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not
    composed of elements at all. I do not exist,

am not an entity in this world or in the next,
    did not descend from Adam and Eve or any

origin story. My place is placeless, a trace
    of the traceless. Neither body or soul.

I belong to the beloved, have seen the two
    worlds as one and that one call to and know,

first, last, outer, inner, only that
    breath breathing human being.

From Essential Rumi
    by Coleman Barks
  • The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
    Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
    some momentary awareness comes
    As an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
    Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
    who violently sweep your house
    empty of its furniture,
    still treat each guest honorably.
    He may be clearing you out
    for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
    meet them at the door laughing,
    and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
    because each has been sent
    as a guide from beyond.

From Essential Rumi
    by Coleman Barks
    Source: Link
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    "This being human [condition] is [like] a guest house..."

Abstitively, posolutely Sublime!
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Here here, what an excellent thread. I have but a minor contribution that rocked my heart a moon or two ago
    When the heart weeps for what it has lost, the spirit laughs for what it has found. -Sufi proverb
    Here are a few from Daniel Ladinsky's book "The Gift- Poems by Hafiz the Great Sufi Master"
    The Hatcheck Girl (p. 197)
    Why
    Are there
    So few in the court
    Of a perfect
    Saint?
    Because
    Everytime you are near Him
    You have to leave pieces
    Of your
    Ego
    With
    The hatcheck
    Girl
    Who won't give them
    Back-
    Ooouch.

Where Is the Door to the Tavern? (p. 222)
    Where is the door to God?
    In the sound of a barking dog,
    In the ring of a hammer,
    In a drop of rain,
    in the face of
    Everyone
    I see.

And Love Says (p. 333)

And love
    Says,

"I will, I will take care of you,"

To everything that is
    Near.

I just ordered a couple of books on Rumi and actually another book by Ladinsky with more poems by Hafiz.
    Love this stuff!!
  • Buddhists have compassion. Sufis drown and surrender to Love. The difference in the Middle Way is we do not become intoxicated with Love and have to return to the higher station of sobriety
    Meanwhile let's dance . . .
  • Inside this new love, die.
    Your way begins on the other side.
    Become the sky.
    Take an axe to the prison wall.
    Escape.
    Walk out like someone suddenly born into color.
    Do it now.
    You're covered with a thick cloud.
    Slide out the side. Die,
    and be quiet. Quiteness is the surest sign
    that you've died.
    Your old life was a frantic running
    from silence.

The speechless full moon
    comes out now.

w
    PrairieGhostnlighten
  • last poem from Rumi, attribution of double you - incorrect . . .
    Here is another on how to batter fish . . .

Awakened by your love,
    I flicker like a candle's light
    trying to hold on in the dark.
    Yet, you spare me no blows
    and keep asking,
    "Why do you complain?"