Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My new meditation bench

specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
edited May 2011 in Arts & Writings
My sister-in-law took a trip to Thailand and got me a very nice buddha figurine, along with an incense burner with a small buddha on it and some Thai incense. Up to this point I didn't have much of an "altar" or "meditation bench", so I decided to build one.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv54/JustinWKay/IMG_20110531_083153.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv54/JustinWKay/IMG_20110531_083206.jpg

So what do you think? I was going for a type of "middle way" look. The darker wood is oak, while the lighter wood is poplar. One oak strip runs down the center of the board, and also creates borders on the top part. The legs all have oak running down the center of them, surrounded by poplar. The top comes off to reveal a storage area for incense, or whatever else you may need.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv54/JustinWKay/IMG_20110531_083242.jpg

Thoughts?

Now I just have to figure out what else to put on it :)

P.S. Sorry about putting in the photos twice, had a hard time figuring out how to do it.

Comments

• :clap: Wonderful, thanks for posting @specialkayme
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Very beautiful. But I don't quite understand ... is this the altar or the meditation bench? Altars are often higher than the people who sit in their presence.
  • Thanks for all the kind words.

To be honest genkaku, I don't know what it's called. My terminology may be off, or totally wrong. I was hoping to have a small bench/table to put in front of me to house a few objects. I didn't want it too big, to take up too much of the room (as I don't have a whole lot of space at the moment), and I also needed it to be portable (at the moment, I'm transitory between a few locations). After doing some searches, I found "similar" objects, and used those as a plan to make my own.

Would you classify that as an altar? I'm assuming that's the direction it's headed, lol.
  • Beautiful piece
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Love it!
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Beautiful beginnings, no matter what it's called.
  • edited June 2011
    A beautiful meditation table. Great for placing a meditation candle and tea. If you sit on a meditation cushion in front of it, the table is just the right height. I saw similar tables and cushion set up at a large temple also.
  • Jason_PDKJason_PDK Explorer
    One word:
    Beautiful!
  • auraaura Veteran
    I particularly like the angling of the legs
    it looks like a bridge...
    very fitting indeed!
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    SWEET!!! :rockon:
  • Wow, man. That's amazing! :)
    -Tikal
  • Very nice indeed!
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Beautiful! I think of it more as an altar or table than a bench, but still - absolutely amazing. I hope it helps your practice!
  • Thanks for all the very kind words!