Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I know this would obviously be impossibel to know..But what kind of dharma book has this monk got???

edited June 2011 in Sanghas
In this picture the Buddhist monk has a book by his side. Im guessing its his dharma book which he studies.
But I wonder what books real monks study??? (they wont just be from amazon will they?)
Does anyone know??

I think the monk is Thai so im guessin hes a Theravada Buddhist.
Here the pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/decadence/2750412808/

Comments

• *impossible* not impossibel hehe!!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I think it's the yellow pages..... :D

Or more probably something by an eminent Bikkhu.....
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    That particular temple is Wat Phu Khao Thong in Ayutthaya. It's northwest of the moated (partially riverine) city. It's interesting because the original temple was built by King Ramesuan (an important Thai king) sometime around 1390. But, after the Burmese invaded they built a Mon-style tower over the top of the original chedi in 1569. One of the most famous Thai kings -- King Naresuan retook Ayutthaya and finished building the chedi in a more Thai-style.

Don't assume that the book is for studying, although it might be, but I have had monks at some of these rural temples have tourists write their names and addresses in notebooks.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited June 2011
    why will you like to know it?
  • You might not be able to find out for certain, but if he is a therevada monk, which he most certainly is, then it is highly probable that he is reading some part of the tipitika, or a commentary to it.
    If you want to get into some really authentic dhamma then you should check out access to insight. They have most pieces of literature that an average therevada renunciate of the type in the picture would have access to.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    You might not be able to find out for certain, but if he is a therevada monk, which he most certainly is, then it is highly probable that he is reading some part of the tipitika, or a commentary to it.
    If you want to get into some really authentic dhamma then you should check out access to insight. They have most pieces of literature that an average therevada renunciate of the type in the picture would have access to.
    I actually think this is a staged photo. Why would a monk have an alms bowl up on this chedi? There are actually few monks who reside at this temple. For a while the regular temple part was somewhat deserted. It is not one of Ayutthaya's really active temples.

• Check this photo out that the guy has. I wonder if there's a complete statue under those roots or if it's just a head stuffed into the mass sometime in the past?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/decadence/2762043331/in/photostream/
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    @cinorjer thats cool!