Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

TELEGRAPH article on Jewish court sentencing culprit reincarnated as dog to death by stoning

NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `  South Carolina, USA Veteran
edited June 2011 in Buddhism Today
Apparently a dog broke into the buildings of the Monetary Affairs Court in Jerusalem June 17, frightening people. After protracted efforts to get the dog to leave, no one was able to rid the premisses of the dog. A judge then recalled a certain curse put on a rather insulting lawyer some years previously. That curse involved the lawyer's spirit moving into the body of a dog. O well, if interested, read the short article...

For full story, see:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/8583317/Jewish-court-sentences-dog-to-death-by-stoning.html

Comments

• OMG! :p
  • I second that, Dhamma dhatu. OMG! It just boggles the mind ... and to have children do the stoning too. Unbelievable!
  • edited June 2011
    Aha! So Judaism does include belief in reincarnation!
  • Aha! So Judaism does include belief in reincarnation!
    Certain sects do, but it's not a widespread belief as I understand it.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Bad karma in the making...
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Well, the NT has the Jewish people wondering if Jesus was John the Baptist reincarnated. By the way, this very realistic bit of dialog also puts Jesus' birth after the death of John the Baptist (the Jewish people could count, and knew someone had to die before they could be reincarnated, natch), and makes that whole "baptised by John" story a later embellishment. But I digress. At any rate, the reincarnated theory of who Jesus was, is tossed off in the discussion with the attitude that it was a popular belief.

As for the news item...sad. A few of the commenters, I read, claim this must be a planted, bogus story to show Judaism in a bad light. Planted by who, for what purpose? The Muslim world over there hates dogs even worse and would applaud the decision of the judge.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    Aha! So Judaism does include belief in reincarnation!
    Certain sects do [believe in reincarnation], but it's not a widespread belief as I understand it.
    Well, at any rate, it's a biblical tenet, if not a Jewish one. You will find in Malachi 4 a reference to Elijah coming back as God's powerful messenger before the "dreadful day of the Lord." In the New Testament John the Baptist is queried whether he is Elijah. Historically many envisioned the Messiah as an Elijah figure.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    The news link seems to have been shut down or anyway, I can't retrieve it either here or at the Telegraph site.
  • The story got pulled. Some websites are now quoting some spokesperson as saying (1) It's not the complete story, because the dog didn't end up getting stoned, so nobody should have reported this in the first place. Instead, some workers captured the dog and hauled it away from the court building (no mention of what they did with it after that), and (2) It's all a Muslim conspiracy to make Isreal look bad in the eyes of the Western World.

Funny, the spokesperson didn't actually come out and say the dog wasn't comdemned to stoning due to some old rabbi thinking it was a reincarnated lawyer. They're only saying the sentence wasn't carried out. But everyone will drop the story now.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I heard this being discussed on the radio.
    It was interesting what people who called in had to say.