Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Chat?

edited February 2006 in NewBuddhist.com
Yes I realize this is a forum and people can "chat" using it but has anyone ever thought of creating a chatroom that is an extension of this forum? That way people could talk in real time? Just a thought... thanks!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    I did mention it to Brian, but apparently the logistics are difficult. You could try contacting him again though... Don't be shy!
    That's why a few of us have got MSN etc....
  • edited January 2006
    federica wrote:
    I did mention it to Brian, but apparently the logistics are difficult. You could try contacting him again though... Don't be shy!
    That's why a few of us have got MSN etc....

if people use IM programs maybe we could just all put our screennames into this thread??
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    if people use IM programs maybe we could just all put our screennames into this thread??

People can put their screen names into their profile. A small icon then shows under their name in their posts.
  • edited February 2006
    setting up a chatroom shouldn't be too hard. I will definitely help if I can (remember.. me=nerd ;) )

Would really love to chat with you guys..
    as for MSN, or yahoo, which platform would you guys prefer
  • edited February 2006
    heh I didn't see that we could add our screen names, I'll have to add mine :)
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Brian and I have had poor experiences introducing site-sponsored chats on forums. I doubt we'll move in this direction officially, but thanks for the suggestion! :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    I was all for a chat-room once. Now, having experienced other chatrooms on other fora.... I'm with Matt!
  • edited February 2006
    Hello all,
    Chat rooms aren't all they're cracked up to be. Have been (cyber) stalked and had to totally change, my name, where I live and all that......creepy!!!!
  • edited February 2006
    Esau wrote:
    Hello all,
    Chat rooms aren't all they're cracked up to be. Have been (cyber) stalked and had to totally change, my name, where I live and all that......creepy!!!!

You too? Good grief this must be more common than I thought. I got stalked for over a year by a woman (yes, a woman - poor desperate soul that she was!) and it was only because we lived in different countries that I didn't feel the need to move. She came visiting but I knew she couldn't afford to give up her job and move over here when I asked her to stop contacting me. Otherwise I would have had to consider it.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    mmm I was going to ask the same question-but now i understand why it's not available-frankly I think the ability to view all posts is quite good-liberating of sorts-no horrible backstabbing etc.
  • edited February 2006
    I go with the "not what they're cracked up to be" opinion. I went into a chat room the other night on a forum where I am very interested in the subject. Four people sitting staring at their respective screens once the usual Hi how are you? bit was over. Or it turns into a bored housewives' drop in centre with mindnumbing details of their complaints against Life in General.
  • edited February 2006
    If there is a point to discuss (usually one person heading it up), and the chat is by invitation only at a designated time/space...it seems like a good thing.

There are other spaces on the internet where one can meet. I usually miss these things, due timing.