Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I finally understood ZEN today. Everything made sense. Life made sense. Care to comment pls???

edited June 2011 in Sanghas
Here is what i wrote down after meditating. (im not saying there great but none are copied its all my words x)

OK. First of all ZEN teaches alot. But actually has nothing to teach. Zen is just NOW. The moment.

'What is happiness other than accepting our life, our moment as it is'

'Whatever it is, let it be..Dont try change things just like you wouldnt want to be chaged'

Zen is going through life. Walking through life. Dont Run, walk. Why rush?

'Whatever your doing in that moment....just do it'

'when your doing something, keep your mind with you'

Above all, I realized that I know NOTHING. I dont NEED to know anything. I dont need to fear anything. If im ever in a position where fear takes over, Then let it, as there will be a good reason. Dont wish things were different.

My list could go on but then again I know i dont 'NEED' to carry on. I would still like to hear your comments though, if you also agree with what im saying.

Thanks for reading. Please comment! xx

Comments

• Yeah that sounds good, and yes that is the essence of Zen. In my opinion though, I'm not sure I buy the no striving thing...that if you just stop you will become enlightened. In my experience of people who have come a long way with Zen, they do all say that enlightenment is right now, but that it took them years of effort and ultimately, a sense of existential frustration or even desperation to realise this. Although strictly you do not need the path to get there, you cannot get there without the path. My interpretation and beleif regarding enlightenment is that it is not hard to become a awake (what I suppose you may call stream entry). The difficulty is in the stuff afterwards (the following three stages in Therevada) which take much effort and practice and may never be acheived and certainly will not just simply happen. In essence, what I am saying is that there is more to enlightenment that what is simply right here now - it is about a total perspective shift and this takes time to implement. Awakening however, the ability to see how unenlightened you are, is right here right now....I don't even know if that makes sense....

But anyway great stuff, its such a great feeling when something just clicks isn't it - and notice how although you may have been thinking about it for god knows how long, the answers actually came from beyond the mind?

Best wishes
  • Great Job
  • Hey, I just started reading about Zen. From my understanding of it you are right on. Its like those damn little stories that go,

student "what is the ultimate truth?"
    teacher "look! The olive tree."

always bringing it back to the present moment.

I would like to ask you a question, do you feel that Zen is taking the mindful part of Buddhism and applying it as the main concept ? From what I gather there seems to be little about the eigthfold path and the 4 noble truths.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Sounds good! :) However, understanding is just the beginning. It is possible to understand this and still be stuck with wanting a situation to be different, which of course causes suffering if it can't. Relinquishing the wanting is where the real effort comes into play and that is what the brunt of the practice is. :)
  • You now understand zen practice. Keep practicing and the realisation's will come.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    Strive to not strive. This sounds similar to Wu Wei. :D
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    As soon as anyone 'understands,' the boat has already sailed.
  • As soon as anyone 'understands,' the boat has already sailed.
    We *are* boat. The boat never sails away without us. We only think it does. Obsticles get in our way just like you bringing a negative to my new understanding. "As soon as anyone understand, the boat has already sailed" - you should not think this way. This is not true zen.

I cannot talk for everyone. But I know my boat hasn't sailed. I determine when it does, because I am the captain of it. X
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    Obsticles get in our way just like you bringing a negative to my new understanding. "As soon as anyone understand, the boat has already sailed" - you should not think this way. This is not true zen.
    You asked for comments on your experience, and the first person who didn't give you praise was immediately dismissed as being "negative." You've also decided what is and isn't Zen based on one session you consider insightful. Just pointing out that not everyone will share the opinion that your experience was exceptionally illuminating. It has been said that one should not boast or brag about their achievements in meditation, lest one lose what they have gained.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Hell Yes!!! not knowing mind is buddha mind!

congrats, now have fun!
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    @buddhacoe I'm sorry if my response sounded harsh, reading over what I wrote it seems to come off as more critical than I meant. I wanted to gently point out that some people here might not tell you what you want to hear, but that doesn't mean it's intended to be negative or put you down. When you ask people what they think of your experience, based on what you write they may have a completely different perspective of the situation.
  • @buddhacoe I'm sorry if my response sounded harsh, reading over what I wrote it seems to come off as more critical than I meant. I wanted to gently point out that some people here might not tell you what you want to hear, but that doesn't mean it's intended to be negative or put you down. When you ask people what they think of your experience, based on what you write they may have a completely different perspective of the situation.
    NO, im sorry. just a misunderstanding then. Please dont think i was calling *you personally negative* I just meant that we're the ones who bring our own negativity so if someone says something like 'the boat has already sailed' and it comes across as negative, then its me who decides if it has or not. No one else can tell you *your* boat has gone. I know you didnt mean anything bad, and i hope you know that i didnt either. I appreciate any kind of feedback. I dont mind people not 'praising me' as that doesnt matter in ZEN. I dont want praise. I was just sharing my experience. And i am enjoying reading the comments.

My apologies again. :)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    @buddhacoe No apology necessary (it was actually @genkaku who mentioned the bit about the boat sailing), my addendum was merely to clarify my position. My first comment was worded in a way that could have been construed as dismissive, which wasn't what I was trying to convey. After I posted it I felt bad thinking that it might have sounded superior, like I was trying to belittle you, and I didn't want to give that impression.

I hope the feedback you receive benefits your practice!
  • Here is what i wrote down after meditating. (im not saying there great but none are copied its all my words x)

OK. First of all ZEN teaches alot. But actually has nothing to teach. Zen is just NOW. The moment.

'Whatever it is, let it be..Dont try change things just like you wouldnt want to be chaged'

Zen is going through life. Walking through life. Dont Run, walk. Why rush?

'when your doing something, keep your mind with you'

Above all, I realized that I know NOTHING. I dont NEED to know anything. I dont need to fear anything. If im ever in a position where fear takes over, Then let it, as there will be a good reason. Dont wish things were different.

My list could go on but then again I know i dont 'NEED' to carry on. I would still like to hear your comments though, if you also agree with what im saying.

Thanks for reading. Please comment! xx
    Very good! Now build on this.

In this whole world everyone searches for happiness outside, but nobody understands their true self inside.

Everybody says, “I”— “I want this, I am like that…” But nobody understands this “I.” Before you were born, where did your I come from? When you die, where will your I go? If you sincerely ask, “what am I?” sooner or later you will run into a wall where all thinking is cut off. We call this “don’t know.”

Zen is keeping this “don’t know” mind always and everywhere.

Zen Master Seung Sahn
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    "As soon as anyone 'understands,' the boat has already sailed".
    My interpretation of this is cut off all thinking, one word is already too much.
    The finger pointing to the moon is not the moon.
    :)
  • A wise man points to the moon. A fool looks at the finger. But the finger can also be used as a guide to the moon. So the one looking at the finger shouldn't always be labelled as *fool*

No one really knows one another. Yet we all know human potential.
    We know the mind can flow or crash. One can avoid the crashing by concentrating on the finger first before looking at the moon directly.

X

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    If it works, use it. If it doesn't, throw it away.
  • If it works, use it. If it doesn't, throw it away.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Sometimes our life is unhappy.
  • Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
    You have experienced a satori. Excellent, continue to just be.
  • You have experienced a satori. Excellent, continue to just be.
    Thank u.
  • As soon as anyone 'understands,' the boat has already sailed.
    We *are* boat. The boat never sails away without us. We only think it does. Obsticles get in our way just like you bringing a negative to my new understanding. "As soon as anyone understand, the boat has already sailed" - you should not think this way. This is not true zen.

I cannot talk for everyone. But I know my boat hasn't sailed. I determine when it does, because I am the captain of it. X
    As soon as anyone 'understands,' the boat has already sailed.

• You are not the captain of your boat. There is no captain, no controller, no chooser, no doer. Look honestly to see the reality of that.
  • You have experienced a satori. Excellent, continue to just be.
    That is not what satori is.
  • You are not the captain of your boat. There is no captain, no controller, no chooser, no doer. Look honestly to see the reality of that.
    I am the captain. You are the capatin. You only have to open to it, see it, feel it. The controllers are all around us, but we can use them for our own guidence. We get to choose directions everyday.

And satori is a glimps of awakening. A glimps of truth. I personally have not stated this. However: the truth is still the truth even if no one believes it, a lie is still a lie even if everyone beleives it.
    So you believe what you wish. No harm there. But always remain open. Be yourself and I hope one day you realize that u *are* the captain and your true ship hasn't sailed yet.for ur the one who decides when it does. X
  • Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
    You have experienced a satori. Excellent, continue to just be.
    That is not what satori is.
    Satori (悟り?) (Chinese: 悟; pinyin: wù; Korean 오; Vietnamese ngộ) is a Japanese Buddhist term for enlightenment that literally means "understanding". In the Zen Buddhist tradition, satori refers to a flash of sudden awareness, or individual enlightenment, and is considered a "first step" or embarkation toward nirvana.

TITLE

"I FINALLY UNDERSTAND ZEN TODAY. EVERYTHING MADE SENSE. LIFE MADE SENSE."

Forgive me, I must have misunderstood.

Namaste

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Who can say what buddhacoe experienced, progrees on the path is progress on the path. This too is inconstant.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    finding the gateless gate is no progression. just coming home to the warm embrace. those who strive will never see and those who sleep will never awake.

time to make a pizza.
  • 'Everything' we do in life is progress. I no longer need to strive for anything. I have arrived. I am *HERE* Nothing more to it. No where else to be. Nothing to strive anymore. Im home. Ive been sleeping my whole life, until i took my first step into my mind and realized the potentail.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

satori is a glimps of awakening.
    another name is 'stream winning'

this is not the 'END' but the 'Beginning'

now we need to continue the practice, the 'eightfold path'
    or
    the 'understand' we gain at the 'glimps of awakening'

until the every moment becomes the 'awakened moments'
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2011

'Whatever it is, let it be..Dont try change things just like you wouldnt want to be changed'

Sure. Sounds really inspiring. But...I have some questions.

If my mind is bored and the impulse/thought arises to watch TV, do I accept the impulse/thought of boredom and let it be? Or do I take the next step and proceed to do whatever I am doing in that moment, that is, watch TV?

In your Zen view, how do I differentiate between what to 'let be' and what 'to do'?

If I let all of my impulse/thoughts 'to just be', then I would not be 'doing" very much at all.

Example, if the thought/impulse arises to strangle my boss because I am angry with her, do I 'just do it'? Or do I let the thought/impulse 'just be', without acting on it/doing it?

Thanks

:confused::confused::confused:
  • Let what is real, BE. Only which is real. U can still do one thing whilst allowing another thing to *let be*

Do u meditate?? If u do and correctly, u will find that you can control your *bored mind*
    If u are bored its only because u think u are bored. And the only thing which are real are things we dwell on..

So to ur question, I would say again yes, let be..let all emotions BE. I'm not saying let them control you though. You have to control them, this is the first step of letting them be first.then decide to walk the path.

Do you understand?
    So let everything *real* BE...but u have to decide which emotions are *real*

What is real? Only you know!! X

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    You can feel this in walking meditation. you are walking and balancing, but there is a certain detachment in the whole affair.
  • Do you understand?
    ...yes Master...your humble Grasshopper thanks you...:bowdown:
  • I was only asking you do you understand what im trying to say, because some one sent me a message yesterday saying 'I don't understand what the hell u talking about'

Why have u become rude and patronising? Its a shame! This is only my experience, you don't have to like or agree. But remember others have thoughts,ideas,opinions and feelings. Let's try and treat each other with little bit more respect and friendly!

Ill be ready for another patronising comment back!
    But I wish u all the best! Good luck with ur practice! X
  • Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
    "The joy of non-doing is that nothing else needs to happen for this moment to be complete." John Kabat - Zinn

Now that you are "just being" I would suggest that you go ahead and strangle your boss, rob a bank or follow through on any foolish thought that might pop into your head.

Unless of course you are guided by the 4 noble truths, the 8 fold path, the 5 precepts etc. Then, following through on these types of thoughts might be a problem.

Just continue to enjoy the journey as you are.

With Metta
    edited July 2011
    Why have u become rude and patronising?
    Lighten up, man! :)
  • Why have u become rude and patronising?
    Lighten up, man! :)
    edited July 2011
    ;)
  • if everything makes sense, you're already wrong.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    You are not the captain of your boat. There is no captain, no controller, no chooser, no doer. Look honestly to see the reality of that.
    I am the captain. You are the capatin. You only have to open to it, see it, feel it. The controllers are all around us, but we can use them for our own guidence. We get to choose directions everyday.

And satori is a glimps of awakening. A glimps of truth. I personally have not stated this. However: the truth is still the truth even if no one believes it, a lie is still a lie even if everyone beleives it.
    So you believe what you wish. No harm there. But always remain open. Be yourself and I hope one day you realize that u *are* the captain and your true ship hasn't sailed yet.for ur the one who decides when it does. X
    perhaps next on the list should be some study on anatta or "not-self"

good luck on your journey! it's nice to feel a moment of clarity, but don't become too attached :)
  • Don't worry about getting *too* attached - as I won't be getting attached at all. Chop wood carry water! X
  • I finally understood ZEN today. Everything made sense. Life made sense.
    Enjoy it while it lasts. :)

perhaps next on the list should be some study on anatta or "not-self"

good luck on your journey! it's nice to feel a moment of clarity, but don't become too attached :)
  • Yes annata.
    Brother. You say, "we get to choose directions everyday" and "believe what i wish"
    What i'm telling you has nothing to do with belief. It's direct realisation that anybody can have if they look honestly.
    There is no choice, nor anybody to choose!
    Is there a conscious self moving the body and breathing etc?
    Is there a conscious self thinking, or are there just thoughts arising?
    If there's no conscious self controlling thought or movement, how can there be choice?