Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Question (couldnt think of what else to call it)

edited March 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I was thinking about going to a Buddhist meditation.

Do most places that you have gone to meditate have an open room where you just come in and grab a cushion or mat & sit on the floor? Or is there some other venue (not sure if thats the right word to use) you use? i.e sitting at a table or on a couch like item

One more thing. The one I am interested in is the silent meditation one. We have one here where it is Silent Med for about 45 minutes & then 15 minutes of sharing time.

What is this sharing time that they are speaking of?

Thanx,
Sjep

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited March 2005
    First of all, welcome to the site :)

Many meditation centers do have an open meditation area which is exactly like you describe. Informally grab a cushion or mat, and sit. There are other forms of meditation that you can participate in such as walking meditation and "laying down" meditation. Most of the time these are guided by monks. I've never experienced meditation sitting down at a table, but I can't think of any reason why there couldn't be. There are no "rules" with meditation, so most individual temples will have their own traditions.

You can pretty much expect, though, that sitting, "normal" meditation will be the status quo and the primary meditation style at almost any temple you go to.

I don't know what sharing time is, I've never heard of it. In my opinion, all meditation should be silent, otherwise you are kind of defeating the purpose of it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2005
    hello Sjep, and welcome.
    This "sharing time" you're talking about; I can't state categorically that I'm right, but I suspect it's a period of time at the end of meditation when you're encouraged to share thoughts, images and experiences you had whilst meditating. While this may be viewed by some as helpful and encouraging, others will see it as embarassing and intrusive. I may be wrong about what it is, so don't let my theory put you off. I have, however experienced such a situation, and personally, although I'm very communicative and willing to share when asked, meditation to me is about being still and just listening 'within'. It takes the 3 'P's: Practice, Patience and Perseverance. it isn't immediate - it takes time, but its soooo rewarding. meditating means different things to different people. there is no one rule or way. But it's testing the waters and seeing what suits you..... Very best of luck!