Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interesting Discussion On Buddhism on Another Forum(What do you think about Buddhism?)

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited July 2011 in Faith & Religion
What do you think about Buddhism? Is it good or evil?

For instance:

If you don't think this is downright satanic, I question what would you think satanic.

Wrathful Deities in Buddhist Worship and Devotion

Images of the wrathful deities are kept in the homes and temples of Tibetan Buddhists to protect them against evil influences and remind them to destroy passion and evil in themselves. In general Buddhist practice, sculptures and thangkas are intended as temporary dwellings for the spiritual beings into which Buddhism projects its analysis of the nature of the world. They are thus not just aesthetic objects but actual dwellings for the energies projected into them with the aid of mantras. The power of those energies can then be directed towards the Buddhist goal. The wrathful deities, though benevolent, are represented in visual arts as hideous and ferocious in order to instill terror in evil spirits which threaten the dharma.

The wrathful deities can also be a focus of Buddhist devotion and worship. "The dharmapalas are worshiped in the mgon khang, a subterranean room, the entrance to which is often guarded by stuffed wild yaks or leopards. Priests wear special vestments and use ritual instruments often made of human bone or skin. Worship includes the performance of masked dances ('cham)."

"External offerings" made to the wrathful deities differ from those provided to tranquil deities and are traditionally six in number: a cemetary flower, incense of singed flesh, lamp burning human fat (or a substitute), scent of bile, blood (usually symbolized by red water) and human flesh (usually symbolized by parched barley flour and butter realistically colored and modeled). Similarly, the "internal offering" or Offering of the Five Senses given to wrathful deities is a skull cup containing a heart, tongue, nose, pair of eyes, and pair of ears. In Tibetan texts, these are human organs, but in actual ceremonies barley-flour-and-butter replicas are used instead.

This is just not true. There is no "salvation" in Buddhism and if there were you wouldn't get it by "believing" in Buddha. You attain enlightenment through your own efforts. You accept the Four Noble Truths and then follow the Eightfold Path.

Four Noble Truths:

1. Life means suffering.
2. The origin of suffering is attachment.
3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.
4. The path to the cessation of suffering is the Eightfold Path.

Eightfold Path:

1. Right View
2. Right Intention
3. Right Speech
4. Right Action
5. Right Livelihood
6. Right Effort
7. Right Mindfulness
8. Right Concentration

If you want to know more, there are lots of great books out here, and you can check this site out: [link to www.thebigview.com]

I've long thought that the greatest distortion of Buddhism is the teaching that the goal of nirvana is to cease to exist as an individual, to cease existence completely.

There is great truth in the teaching about escaping the wheel of reincarnation, but it's not about ceasing to exist, it's about the knowledge that this sub-universe is a prison with human souls chained to the wheel lifetime after lifetime. There is a greater existence beyond the prison. I think that was the Buddha's contribution to the reformation of Hinduism. The truth of the teaching was sadly lost long ago, unfortunately.

Like all other religions Buddhism was co-opted and corrupted and turned into a tool of power and control by those whose goal was not spiritual enlightenment but power and control.

Buddhism is as full of dogma and distortion of the truth as any other religion.

note: I think it's more accurate to call the Tibetan sorcery Lamaism.

A lot more here:
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1321202/pg2

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited July 2011
    From that discussion:

I was really got sick about Buddhism when I stumbled upon a passage in the "Lotus Sutra" that a great Buddha named Medicine Buddha wants a burning human body as the most precious sacrifice offered to him.

I was shocked.

The Lotus Sutra is one of the most important scriptures in Buddhism (not just Tibetan) and you cannot question its
    authority, because it's like questiong the authority of the Bible in Christianity.

I thought, can it be real? that a great Buddha wants a burning human body as most precious thing offered to him?

And after that, I watched in a documentary some Vietnamese monks practicing this, burning their body and disintegrate it in front of the Buddha that they believe.

It was sick.

Is this true?
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    some information on the Medicine King:
    http://www.sgilibrary.org/search_dict.php?id=1406

the 23rd chapter of the LS as translated by Burton Watson:
    http://nichiren.info/buddhism/lotussutra/text/chap23.html

much of the lotus sutra is in the form of parables. it does not support self immolation. i have heard a story of the buddha in which he encounters a dog which has a very bad wound with maggots infesting it. wanting to help the dog, but not wanting to hurt the maggots, he cuts off a chunk of his flesh for the maggots to feast on. he then uses his own tongue to transport the maggots to the flesh. likewise, this is not to be taken literally.

here is an explanation of this chapter:
    http://www.rk-world.org/publications/buddhismfortoday_B23.aspx

"To burn one's arms symbolizes one's indomitable spirit in practicing the teaching. More accurately, it is the manifestation of one's spirit in practicing the Law at the risk of one's life. We should assimilate the deep meaning of such expressions as burning one's arms and not be misled by the surface meanings of the words."
  • From that discussion:

I was really got sick about Buddhism when I stumbled upon a passage in the "Lotus Sutra" that a great Buddha named Medicine Buddha wants a burning human body as the most precious sacrifice offered to him.

I was shocked.

The Lotus Sutra is one of the most important scriptures in Buddhism (not just Tibetan) and you cannot question its
    authority, because it's like questiong the authority of the Bible in Christianity.

I thought, can it be real? that a great Buddha wants a burning human body as most precious thing offered to him?

And after that, I watched in a documentary some Vietnamese monks practicing this, burning their body and disintegrate it in front of the Buddha that they believe.

It was sick.

Is this true?

Hi Leon,

I have read in a few places in the past that the Lotus Sutra immolation is the inspiration for the self-immolation of monks.

In general, I've never been a fan of the Lotus Sutra which I believe was a later addition to 'buddhism' and didn't originate with the historical Buddha

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Are they immolated out of choice? It is kinda horrifying.
  • Human beings generally take metaphors literally if they don't have proper guidance in unpacking the metaphors.

All of these examples can basically be clarified as that happening. When a metaphor becomes a literal dogma.
  • jlljll Veteran
    If you dont like the lotus sutra, try theravada buddhism.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I have read in a few places in the past that the Lotus Sutra immolation is the inspiration for the self-immolation of monks.

In general, I've never been a fan of the Lotus Sutra which I believe was a later addition to 'buddhism' and didn't originate with the historical Buddha

I agree with the first part of what you wrote. I was a late-teen during the Vietnam War (in fact almost got drafted). And I remember that sutta being given as the basis for those Vietnamese monks who self-immolated.

Now, in regard to your second paragraph. Do you have any evidence for that? Or is it just that it is such a turn-off to you that you want to think that?

Human beings generally take metaphors literally if they don't have proper guidance in unpacking the metaphors.

All of these examples can basically be clarified as that happening. When a metaphor becomes a literal dogma.
    But this is a problem with all religions, including Buddhism. And, just read this forum -- threads are often based on this very principle. And it then becomes an issue of picking and choosing which things each individual thinks are literal or not literal.

• Human beings generally take metaphors literally if they don't have proper guidance in unpacking the metaphors.

But this is a problem with all religions, including Buddhism. And, just read this forum -- threads are often based on this very principle. And it then becomes an issue of picking and choosing which things each individual thinks are literal or not literal.

Yup, which is why the Buddha taught that over tradition, one should be the light for oneself. You know, all that jazz about not believing it because it was written, or held true by family and etc. etc.

Of course there are aspects of all traditions that work, it's just about being sincere in ones own pursuit of clarity and contemplation from within that is very important in order to cut through the misunderstandings turned into tradition.

For instance, that saying in the Lotus Sutra about burning a human body I think is more in reference to the yogic fire that happens in deep meditation. You can feel it when you meditate, the body actually burning through the dross. I've felt that, the burning on a deep level while meditating. Plus this metaphor has a tradition in yogic writings as a metaphor, both Hindu and Buddhist. You don't see Tibetan Yogi's burning their bodies, they instead see it as a reference for Tummo practice.

Generally in the past when these texts were written down, they had to cover up the literal meaning with metaphor in order to protect themselves from Brahmins or whatever political powers existed in the time and place, and then a teacher would clarify the meaning for the students. It's sad that certain metaphors have been taken too literally and then a tradition came about due to this misunderstanding.

Yes, it happens in every religion.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Interpretation is of primary importance. This issue seems to have cropped up here lately in the form of the discussions on Tantra, the 9/11 conspiracy and some smaller points. Its easy to find "facts" in anything to back up our previously held views whether for good or bad.

Lineage is very important in Buddhism to ensure the actual meaning of the words in the scriptures is passed on. Without the transmission of realization and proper understanding there are lots of teachings that can be misinterpreted, or should we really kill the Buddha if we see him on the road.

• I have read in a few places in the past that the Lotus Sutra immolation is the inspiration for the self-immolation of monks.

I agree with the first part of what you wrote. I was a late-teen during the Vietnam War (in fact almost got drafted). And I remember that sutta being given as the basis for those Vietnamese monks who self-immolated.

Now, in regard to your second paragraph. Do you have any evidence for that? Or is it just that it is such a turn-off to you that you want to think that?

The whole thing has always been a turn-off for me because compared to the simplicity and directness of the Pali Canon it reads like fantasy fiction.

However its origins have indeed been questioned before:

"It is a matter of faith in some schools of Buddhism that the sutra contains the words of the historical Buddha. However, most historians believe the sutra was written in the 1st or 2nd century CE, probably by more than one writer."

http://buddhism.about.com/od/mahayanasutras/a/lotussutra.htm
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    every time a discussion of the validity of some of the sutras comes up, i find myself wondering... why does it matter so much if the historical buddha said it? if buddhism teaches the way, then wouldn't the views of other practitioners be valid as well? no matter which sutras you are most fond of, they all were written after the death of the historical buddha and therefore, i think it requires a little bit of faith to believe that any of them are attributed to him at all. or that he even existed as we think of him, for that matter. the best policy is always to discover for yourself whether these things are useful. fantastic parables or not, i have found passages of the lotus sutra useful.
    every time a discussion of the validity of some of the sutras comes up, i find myself wondering... why does it matter so much if the historical buddha said it? if buddhism teaches the way, then wouldn't the views of other practitioners be valid as well? no matter which sutras you are most fond of, they all were written after the death of the historical buddha and therefore, i think it requires a little bit of faith to believe that any of them are attributed to him at all. or that he even existed as we think of him, for that matter. the best policy is always to discover for yourself whether these things are useful. fantastic parables or not, i have found passages of the lotus sutra useful.
    I think you make a good point, and after all (at least to me), the point is wisdom.

• edited July 2011
    The demons symbolize negative emotions to be overcome, like fear, hatred and so on. It's all symbolic.

However, some of those practices (making human sacrifices, like you mentioned, Leon) come from ancient tantric practices. Part of Tantric practice in ancient times was sitting on corpses to meditate, wearing human head necklaces, making human or animal sacrifices, drinking from cups made of human skulls, using trumpets made of human thigh bones (they still use thigh-bone trumpets and skull-cups--they're supposed to symbolize impermanence). So that made it's way into Buddhism, Tantric Buddhism. But now usually effigies formed out of butter or flour are used, rather than live beings.
    Thank you everyone!
  • Thank you everyone!
    haha! Are you grossed out yet, Leon? But what about the Christian ritual of eating Christ's flesh and drinking his blood? Doesn't that gross you out? Can someone explain that, please? :p

Thank you everyone!
    haha! Are you grossed out yet, Leon? But what about the Christian ritual of eating Christ's flesh and drinking his blood? Doesn't that gross you out? Can someone explain that, please? :p

Nah, but I would admit that humans are quite interesting animal creatures!:)

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Well, to answer one question: what is Satanic?

Involving Satan, the devil, or evil entities in a positive manner. Is that Buddhism? No.

Involving Satan, the devil, or evil entities in a positive manner. Is that Buddhism? No.
    I think so?
    Some of it?
    Could be?
    Maybe? Lol
  • Yeah, I think Tantric Buddhism has elements in it that could be considered Satanic, according to MindGate's definition.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Yeah, I think Tantric Buddhism has elements in it that could be considered Satanic, according to MindGate's definition.
    Really?

actually, it is my understanding that most satanists don't actually worship satan. rather, they worship themselves. this is because lucifer's sin was to desire to share god's glory and this was the reason he fell from heaven. he was selfish.

i wish more people viewed satan as a metaphor, it's actually a pretty powerful one.
    edited July 2011

actually, it is my understanding that most satanists don't actually worship satan. rather, they worship themselves. this is because lucifer's sin was to desire to share god's glory and this was the reason he fell from heaven. he was selfish.

i wish more people viewed satan as a metaphor, it's actually a pretty powerful one.
    Yes!
    The Satanic Bible even has Nine commandments which are not what people think.
    The whole book really focuses on nature and life.

http://www.churchofsatan.com/Pages/NineStatements.html
  • This problem is much more complex than you think, you can't seek answer just from Buddhism, but should also explore history/culture/environment/anthropology/politics.

In Taiwan there is a Buddhist named Xiao Pingshi who believes TB is not real Buddhism, he wrote some books to argue it. Some famous Tibetan Buddhists wrote book (in Chinese) to refute Xiao. The argument became a small storm in Buddhism world several years ago. The books were published in Taiwan.

Here is Xiao's website (in English), sorry there is no English translation of opinions from TB masters.
    http://www.a202.idv.tw/English/Book2013/2013.htm
    This problem is much more complex than you think, you can't seek answer just from Buddhism, but should also explore history/culture/environment/anthropology/politics.

In Taiwan there is a Buddhist named Xiao Pingshi who believes TB is not real Buddhism, he wrote some books to argue it. Some famous Tibetan Buddhists wrote book (in Chinese) to refute Xiao. The argument became a small storm in Buddhism world several years ago. The books were published in Taiwan.

Here is Xiao's website (in English), sorry there is no English translation of opinions from TB masters.
    http://www.a202.idv.tw/English/Book2013/2013.htm
    Thank you!
  • The problem comes down to this: using Tibetan Tantric Buddhism practices to criticize Buddhism is like criticizing Christianity because some isolated churches in the mountains handle snakes and drink poison to prove their faith. Neither of them are mainstream practices, both justify their actions by taking specific verses in their scriptures literally, and both are criticzed by other branches of their own religion as much as outsiders.

So if you really want to put it in perspective, go on the board and point out that saying "Buddhists" are into demon worship is like saying "Christians" are pagans because they worship saints and think dead people like Mary, the mother of Jesus, can cure them if they pray to her and they have shrines to her in their houses. First, only a certain type of Christian even does that, and second, it's much more complicated than that.

By the way, most Buddhists also condemn the practice of suicide by layperson or monk, including setting oneself on fire.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    The Lotus Sutra is one of the most important scriptures in Buddhism (not just Tibetan) and you cannot question its authority, because it's like questiong the authority of the Bible in Christianity.
    That isn't true, and a terrible, simplistic analogy to boot. There is no Bible-equivalent in Buddhism. The Buddha taught intelligent consideration of his message, not adherence to a book.
  • Another consideration relative to a claim such as Xiao Pingshi's - that Tibetan Buddhism is not genuine has to do with the influence of the uniquely Tibetan Bon tradition - which is said to date back some 30,000 years in the Bon tradition - whose founder was Shenrab Miwo - and is said to share many startling similarities to Buddhist teachings. Regardless whether Shenrab Miwo lived and founded Bon in the time of cavemen - the Bon tradition is ancient. It contains human sacrifice, animal sacrifice, demons and heavily shamanistically influenced tantric type practices. At the same time it is listed by none other than HHDL as one of the five schools of Tibetan Buddhism. Of note, too, is that within these five schools there has been and is sometimes very heated debate over which is genuine. Orthodoxy, whether in Christianity or Buddhism is polarizing and perfectly in tune with the nature of samsara - with human existence. Frankly, I think orthodoxy in human tradition (Buddhist inclusive) is the progenitor of concepts such as heresy - noncomformity - persecution - ethnic cleansing. I am convinced that Neanderthal humans disappeared from this green earth by sinister and very human (Cro-Magnon) means - yet undiscovered. But that is another story.....
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I hear many people speaking of Buddhist tantra yet they really dont understand it.
  • first of all, satan is an amalgamation of pre-christian european deities. it was all negative publicity from part of the early christian church.

some satanists follow this ancient deities... what's wrong with that? (appart from delusion of most theists)
    The Lotus Sutra is one of the most important scriptures in Buddhism (not just Tibetan) and you cannot question its authority, because it's like questiong the authority of the Bible in Christianity.
    That isn't true, and a terrible, simplistic analogy to boot. There is no Bible-equivalent in Buddhism. The Buddha taught intelligent consideration of his message, not adherence to a book.
    I didn't write that.
    It is from the the discussion on the website provided above.
  • Yeah, I think Tantric Buddhism has elements in it that could be considered Satanic, according to MindGate's definition.
    How do you know this?

• As for Xiao Pingshi's argument, I feel sorry there is no English translation of opinions from TB side, one side voice always is a part of truth.

Even after I read the opinions from both side, I still can't assert who is right, but I'm sure two points:
    1, Such argument is not bad for Buddhism.
    2, Hold yourself. If someone ask sex under the Buddhism flag, kick him unless you really like him.
  • edited July 2011
    Yeah, I think Tantric Buddhism has elements in it that could be considered Satanic, according to MindGate's definition.
    How do you know this?
    "Involving evil entities in a positive manner". To a large extent, my answer is dependent on the definition provided. And I said there are aspects that "could be considered" satanic, I didn't say there was satanism in TB. Anyway, one example would be the use of all those wrathful Himalayan deities, "in a positive manner". When you look at it more closely, you see that they're just symbols of our own inner "demons". But it fits the definition. (So like I said, my answer is to an extent, an artifact of MindGate's definition.) But there's also this protector deity thing, which I don't know much about, but leaving aside the current controversy, I've read that in the old days, live sacrifices were made to deities. The first real scholar of Tibetan Buddhism, Waddel, lived at the end of the 1800's and into the early 1900's, and he travelled to Tibet and Mongolia. He saw some of the old ways before they disappeared, or were replaced by contemporary substitutes, an example of which would be: making sacrificial figures out of dough rather than sacrificing live sentient beings.

And there's so much death imagery in TB, which is said to symbolize impermanence. That's all well and good, but the fact is that practices involving corpses, wearing ornaments of human bone or skull necklaces, and so forth, all came from Tantric Hinduism, it's part of the Tantric package. Could any of that be construed as Satanic? Well, some people might see it that way, even if the symbolism within the tradition paints a different picture. Is Satanism actually Satanic? Some of our contributors above say it's not, it's just nature worship, so it seems to be in the eye of the beholder.

@Iron Rabbit A thread on Bon could be interesting. You raise some interesting points.

• So if you really want to put it in perspective, go on the board and point out that saying "Buddhists" are into demon worship is like saying "Christians" are pagans because they worship saints and think dead people like Mary, the mother of Jesus, can cure them if they pray to her and they have shrines to her in their houses. First, only a certain type of Christian even does that, and second, it's much more complicated than that.
    This is a good point, Cinorjer. As the one who volunteered TB as a potential example of Buddhism with what might be considered Satanic elements, I'd only like to point out that your position would then raise the question of whether TB is "real Buddhism" or not, and I don't think we want to get into that row. No one said it was representative of mainstream Buddhism. I was just responding to MindGate's statement, "Is that Buddhism? No." Maybe his statement should be ammended to say: "Is that mainstream Buddhism? No."

• Cinorjer, since I have your attention, are you able to explain why Christians ritually eat and drink symbols of Christ's flesh and blood? Nobody's explained that yet. I'm genuinely in the dark about this.
  • You mean the Communion service and the Eucharist, the wine and bread? In the church I was raised in, it was done every Easter service, it was grape juice, not wine (alcohol is forbidden, even then) and some sort of crackers. And unlike the Catholics, most Christians simply do it once a year as a reinactment of the Last Supper, and the Preacher recites the verses in the Bible. We knew the wine/grape juice and crackers symbolized the sacrifice of Jesus, that's all, and considered it a poetic way of saying we are also disciples.

It's just an ancient ceremony that is no big deal for Protestant Christians, especially fundamentalists. Their service revolves around the altar call.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited July 2011
    In Mormonism, they teach that you can use anything as the blood and body of christ. We typically used water and bread, but were told that anything solid and liquid would work if it was blessed properly.

I think that the body refers to God's mortal embodiment and the blood refers to the atonement of mankind by christ. It is basically a reminder and a reaffirmation of your commitment to christ's teachings.

I have also heard, at least in the mormon faith, that it is somewhat of an equivalent to being baptized. Although, that always confused me because they also said if you were unworthy of the sacrament, that you probably shouldn't take it that week.

• The Lotus Sutra is one of the most important scriptures in Buddhism (not just Tibetan) and you cannot question its

This sutta can be ignored.... chapter 12 exposes the possible lineage and intent of the author.

• edited July 2011
    Thanks for answering. :) May I pick your brain some more? In Protestant churches the crackers and grape juice are taken as a reenactment of the Last Supper? But wasn't Jesus alive during the Last Supper? Are the foodstuffs symbolizing the Supper (food), or are they symbolizing Jesus' flesh and blood? Or more abstractly, as you say, his "sacrifice"? But how can his sacrifice be commemorated in a reenactment of the Last Supper if he hadn't been sacrificed yet? I think in the Catholic church it's viewed as his flesh and blood, a Catholic friend told me that. Why would they want to eat Jesus' flesh and blood, I'm still not getting that. It sounds Tantric, to me.

And why is wine forbidden? I didn't know that. The Church Council of Greater Seattle, when I was working with them on Native American issues, said wine was prohibited during Prohibition only. They filed a friend-of-the-court brief in support of the Native American Church's use of peyote as a sacrament when the Supreme Court was considering the legality of that. They said they didn't like having their sacrament denied them during Prohibition, so they supported others' use of their sacrament-of-choice. Maybe wine is prohibited only in some churches? I've really got to look into this some more.... :scratch:

edit: @tmottes thank you, T. But still, why would they want to eat a symbol of Christ's embodiment? Eating Jesus is a reaffirmation of your commitment to his teachings? Why do you have to eat him for that, one could devise any manner of ceremony to symbolize reaffirmation of commitment to Jesus' path. (I really don't mean to be dense...)
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    @compassionate_warrior here is the wiki entry for the mormon sacrament service.
    Meaning of the sacrament
    The sacrament is viewed as a renewal of a member’s covenant made at baptism. According to the sacramental prayers, a person eats and drinks in remembrance of the body and blood of Jesus, and promises always to remember Him, take His name upon them, and keep His commandments. In return the prayer promises that the participant will always have the Spirit to be with them.
    The sacrament is considered the most sacred and important element of the Sunday meetings and as such is approached by the Latter Day Saints with reverence and in a spirit of penitence. Consequently, all who partake of the sacrament are encouraged to examine their own consciences and prayerfully gauge their own worthiness to do so. If they feel unworthy, they are encouraged to refrain until they have properly confessed and repented of whatever sins or misdeeds they may have committed. Partaking of the sacrament by non-members is permissible, but has no significance.
    The sacrament is considered to be a weekly renewal of a member's commitment to follow Jesus Christ.
    Like most Restorationist sects of Christianity, and unlike the Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran and some Reformed churches, the LDS Church does not teach any kind of Real Presence. The Church teaches that the bread and wine or water are symbolic of the body and blood of Christ.
    Why eat and not some other ceremony? You would have to ask Jesus that, since the whole eating comes from he reportedly said at the last supper.

Here is the entry for Eucharist, or the holy communion.
    The Eucharist ( /ˈjuːkərɪst/), also called Holy Communion, the Sacrament of the Altar, the Blessed Sacrament, the Lord's Supper, and other names, is a sacrament or ordinance that Christians celebrate in accordance with the instruction that, according to the New Testament, Jesus gave at his Last Supper to do in his memory what he did when he gave his disciples bread, saying, "This is my body", and wine, saying, "This is my blood".[2][3]
  • edited July 2011
    So his disciples ate what he said was his body and drank what he said was his blood? I'm coming to the conclusion that this is a remnant from early Jewish animal sacrifices, Jesus as sacrificial lamb. Otherwise it makes no sense. The LDS church distances itself from that by saying the partaking is "in remembrance of" Jesus' flesh and blood, it doesn't denote a "real presence", in contrast to certain other churches. But that's a pretty thin veil, saying it's "in remembrance of". Spring animal sacrifice ceremonies are found around the world. It must be an anachronistic holdover, that's all I can figure. Thank you for your patience and the references, T.
    Sorry if I hijacked the thread temporarily, folks.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    Also I found this comment on the internet, but I can't find anything to back it up. Perhaps somebody knows something about it or that it is bunk.
    The transubstantiation is a rendering of a middle eastern mystic tradition where the ingestion of a small piece of a master's flesh and the ingestion of a small bit of a master's blood would enable his student's to remain in telepathic contact with him as he traveled to far away places.
  • edited July 2011
    haha!! I suspected it was ultimately Tantric! This is fascinating! A good springboard for further research. Thanks again. :thumbsup:
    I think a lot of these mystical elements were common across cultures, part of mankind's path of evolution. It's the way people thought in ancient times. This makes sense.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    @compassionate_warrior thanks for the chance to do a bit of research... and now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
  • Well, it's metaphor. It's part of that whole "Sacrificial Lamb of God" thing. Remember, Jesus was wandering around when THE God that we still worship today as Love and Compassion demanded and received bloody animal sacrifices that went on all day long in the Temple courtyard. The Priests must have been soaked with blood as the terrified lambs and doves and cattle were led up to the searing heat. This is not the gentle Jewish religion of legalistic debate we have today.

So Jesus became the perfect, willing, final sacrifice. The Sacramant is exactly what it appears to be, a watered down sacrificial ritual. It is what replaced the terrified squeals and smell of blood running down the Temple steps. It speaks to the realization that Jesus sacrificed himself not for the Priests or even God, but for us. Metaphor is very powerful. I know the cannabalistic symbolism upsets some people, and that was the charge early Christians were condemned and martyred for. It's also part of what gives the ritual its power.
  • edited July 2011
    Well, it's metaphor. It's part of that whole "Sacrificial Lamb of God" thing. Remember, Jesus was wandering around when THE God that we still worship today as Love and Compassion demanded and received bloody animal sacrifices that went on all day long in the Temple courtyard. The Priests must have been soaked with blood as the terrified lambs and doves and cattle were led up to the searing heat. This is not the gentle Jewish religion of legalistic debate we have today.

I know the cannabalistic symbolism upsets some people, and that was the charge early Christians were condemned and martyred for. It's also part of what gives the ritual its power.
    Yes, this is what I've heard, thank you, the Sacrificial Lamb. And thanks for calling a spade a spade, and a cannibalistic ritual a cannibalistic ritual. Does it upset some people? The practitioners seem to be able to somehow glaze over it in their minds.

What do you think about tmottes' thesis, about it being a reflection of a middle eastern tradition of maintaining telepathic contact with the guru? That's in Tibetan tradition, too, though you don't have to eat anyone in order to do it. But idk, maybe in the old days you did have to consume a live sacrifice during an empowerment relating to Guru Yoga.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Well, Christianity was an Eastern religion at the beginning, evolving in a Roman Mystery religion. Not surprising there are elements in common with Indian mystic religious practices.

The strangest ritualistic item I have ever seen was a Tibetan Buddhist Skull cup. The top of someone's skull, chopped and turned over and scooped out to make a drinking cup. It was in the British Museum, along with a bunch of other Tibetan Buddhist stuff. The guide said there was even instructions for the Buddhists on what shape of skull leads to the best cup to drink from. And it was bound up in Tantric Buddhist ritual, not some warlord delivering a final insult to some slain enemy.

Ritual is amazing. We know from preserved caves that people had rituals of blood and sacrifice from the beginning of humanity. I'd say the sacrifice is probably the first, original, and most powerful religious expression. Even in Buddhism, we talk of killing the ego or self, and the whole idea of shaving the head for monks is to sacrifice a part of themselves to show their commitment to Buddha. I'm sure this observation is not original. Anthropologists and Sociologists are probably well aware of it.

• Gold-lined skull cups are also part of the ancient Indo-European tradition, the Aryan tradition that also influenced Tibetan culture. Gold-lined skull cups have been found by archaeologists as far West as Germany. It's hard to say what aspects of TB culture came from Indo_european culture in central Asia, and which came from Indian tantra, or maybe both influences coincided.

Thanks for your thoughts.