Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Warfare

B5CB5C Veteran
edited July 2011 in Faith & Religion
"Monks With Guns: Discovering Buddhist Violence By MICHAEL JERRYSON

The publication of Buddhist Warfare, a book I co-edited with Mark Juergensmeyer, is a bittersweet experience as it marks the culmination of a journey that began with an exploration of the peaceful aspects of Buddhism only to end up chronicling portions of its dark side. This journey, which consumed much of the last six years of my life, began in 2003 when my wife and I spent a little over a year in Thailand. It was then that I began to research Buddhist social activism which was going to be the topic of my dissertation.

Rather than look to archives, I decided to speak with Buddhist monks and nuns on the ground. I interviewed monks protecting the forests from big business and villagers from dangerous pesticides; I met and began to chronicle the activities of the first fully ordained Thai Buddhist nun, Dhammananda Bhikkuni; and I met with Thai Buddhist monastic intellectuals.

Military Monks

Then in January 2004, violent attacks broke out in the southern provinces of Thailand, some of which were directed at Buddhist monks. These attacks and the numerous ones to follow shocked the country. But, since contemporary issues and my research interests seemed to be converging, I thought: what better way to study Buddhist activism than to observe Buddhist monks engaged in peacemaking?

Unfortunately, I found very little of this.

During my visits between 2006 and 2008, southern Thai monks shared the challenges of living in their fear-infested communities. All but a few concentrated on survival; peacemaking was the last thing on their minds.

The constant fear and violence took a toll on them. Monks talked about the guns they had bought and now kept at their bedsides. Others spoke heatedly about the violent militant attacks on Buddhist civilians and monasteries. Although the cause of the violence is multilayered—owing much to corruption, drug trade, and corporatization—many monks also felt Islam was to blame. In their minds, the conflict was anchored to the larger discussion of religious violence: Muslims against Buddhists.

http://www.religiondispatches.org/books/2158/monks_with_guns:_discovering_buddhist_violence/
"

This should be debated with most Buddhists. I am Buddhists in philosophical sense. This is what happens when power and corruption grows. Fear reaches the mind of the helpless and have to use violence.

Also add that we are also humans. Buddhists are humans also. Peace is an hardest thing to do than giving into violence.

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Monasticism is a mostly a social institution in Thailand (rather than spiritual/meditative)

These monks are performing a social role, like the traditional Catholic priest who become so in the past due to family or social expectations

If these monks kill, they are immediately disrobed

Monks cannot kill for any reason, even self-defense

• Self defense males sense to me. I might try peace making first, but if that fails, I'd start shooting back.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    In Hinduism there is the tale of the cobra which bit any villagers unwise enough to invade the field where he lived. One day, a wise man passed through town and the villagers complained about the vicious cobra. The wise man went out to the field and, when the cobra appeared, lectured him for some time about the peaceful nature of compassion. The snake agreed to do his best.

The wise man left the town and happened to be passing through about a year later. He decided to visit his friend, the cobra. He went to the field and knocked on the cobra's door. Slowly and painfully, the cobra dragged himself out of his hole. He was bruised and cut all over his body. "What happened to you?" the wise man asked. And the cobra replied, "I tried to follow your instructions and be kind to all. So I did not bite the villagers who came to the field. I greeted them politely and with respect. The result was that they beat the crap out of me." The wise man looked at the cobra with surprise and sorrow. Then he said, "I told you not to bite. I didn't tell you not to hiss."
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited July 2011
    In Hinduism there is the tale of the cobra which bit any villagers unwise enough to invade the field where he lived. One day, a wise man passed through town and the villagers complained about the vicious cobra. The wise man went out to the field and, when the cobra appeared, lectured him for some time about the peaceful nature of compassion. The snake agreed to do his best.

The wise man left the town and happened to be passing through about a year later. He decided to visit his friend, the cobra. He went to the field and knocked on the cobra's door. Slowly and painfully, the cobra dragged himself out of his hole. He was bruised and cut all over his body. "What happened to you?" the wise man asked. And the cobra replied, "I tried to follow your instructions and be kind to all. So I did not bite the villagers who came to the field. I greeted them politely and with respect. The result was that they beat the crap out of me." The wise man looked at the cobra with surprise and sorrow. Then he said, "I told you not to bite. I didn't tell you not to hiss."
    Reminds me of Angulimala. Who after killing so many, turned a monastic. People who had grown to resent him attacked him with sticks and stones as he walked for alms. He became firm and invulnerable in heart and mind, but his body still was subject to the sticks and stones of angry mobs. The Buddha said that this was the ripening of his bad karma, which would have otherwise sent him to hell.

Perhaps the cobra was experiencing the ripening of his karma? : )
    Just a thought!

As far as self-defense goes, you can defend yourself without harming although it is much more difficult than plain violence.
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    Self defense males sense to me. I might try peace making first, but if that fails, I'd start shooting back.
    I agree. Peace comes by first but I really can't believe self defense is wrong.

Do you know any passage in the Canon that corroborates this opinion of us?
    edited July 2011

Dude

For a layperson, self-defense is not wrong.

But for a Theravada monk, it is forbidden.

If a monk kills another human being for any reason, regardless of intention, they must risrobe.

It is written in the Vinaya rules, here, scroll down to 3:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/bmc1/bmc1.ch04.html

To understand Buddhism, it is important to understand many of the teachings given to monks do not apply to laypeople (and visa versa)

Kind regards

DD :)

edited July 2011
    If a monk kills another human being for any reason, regardless of intention, they must disrobe.
    3. Should any bhikkhu intentionally deprive a human being of life, or search for an assassin for him, or praise the advantages of death, or incite him to die (saying): "My good man, what use is this evil, miserable life to you? Death would be better for you than life," or with such an idea in mind, such a purpose in mind, should in various ways praise the advantages of death or incite him to die, he also is defeated and no longer in affiliation.
  • Lots of Buddhists are still very ordinary people, people do bad things.
    edited July 2011
    You might still be a very ordinary person (puthujjana), not interested in supramundane enlightenment, and you might still do very bad things but a monk is not allowed to do very bad things. The monk killing a human being is disrobed to become an ordinary person again. Regards :)
    "These ten essentials must be reflected upon again and again by one who has gone forth (to live the holy life). What are these ten?

1. "'I am now changed into a different mode of life (from that of a layman).' This must be reflected upon again and again by one who has gone forth.

2. "'My life depends on others.' This must be reflected upon again and again by one who has gone forth.

3. "'I must now behave in a different manner.' This must be reflected upon again and again by one who has gone forth.

4. "'Does my mind upbraid me regarding the state of my virtue?' This must be reflected upon again and again by one who has gone forth.

5. "'Do my discerning fellow-monks having tested me, reproach me regarding the state of my virtue?' This must be reflected upon again and again by one who has gone forth.

6. "'There will be a parting (some day) from all those who are dear and loving to me. Death brings this separation to me.' This must be reflected upon again and again by one who has gone forth.

7. "'Of kamma I am constituted. Kamma is my inheritance; kamma is the matrix; kamma is my kinsman; kamma is my refuge. Whatever kamma I perform, be it good or bad, to that I shall be heir.' This must be reflected upon again and again by one who has gone forth.

8. "'How do I spend my nights and days?' This must be reflected upon again and again by one who has gone forth.

9. "'Do I take delight in solitude?' This must be reflected upon again and again by one who has gone forth.

10. "'Have I gained superhuman faculties? Have I gained that higher wisdom so that when I am questioned (on this point) by fellow-monks at the last moment (when death is approaching) I will have no occasion to be depressed and downcast?' This must be reflected upon again and again by one who has gone forth.

"These, monks, are the essentials that should be reflected again and again by one who has gone forth (to live the holy life)."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an10/an10.048.piya.html
  • You might still be a very person and still migh do very bad things but a monk is not allowed to do very bad things. The monk is disrobed to become an ordinary person again. Regards :)
    Monks are people too, and unfortunately some still break the rules, consequences doesn't stop unwholesome deeds if the action is not stopped at the mind.

Hence no need for us to be shocked that Monks makes mistakes as well.

edited July 2011
    Monks are people too, and unfortunately some still break the rules, consequences doesn't stop unwholesome deeds if the action is not stopped at the mind. Hence no need for us to be shocked that Monks makes mistakes as well.
    There are four actions by a monk that result in automatic defrocking. Your post is irrelevent because a monk cannot kill another human being for any reason.

Your misunderstanding of Buddhism in your post is characteristic of many of your posts :)

• Monks are people too, and unfortunately some still break the rules...
    If you can let go of your entrenched idiosyncratic beliefs about Buddhism, possibly the following link can help you understand better. :)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/ariyesako/layguide.html

The Bhikkhus' Rules

A Guide for Laypeople

compiled and explained by

Bhikkhu Ariyesako

:coffee:
  • Self defense males sense to me. I might try peace making first, but if that fails, I'd start shooting back.

["Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding. Even then you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading these people with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with them, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves.]

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.021x.than.html

• This is news! I think it deserves Front Page headlines in major papers especially in Buddhist countries.
  • jlljll Veteran
    "Although the cause of the violence is multilayered—owing much to corruption, drug trade, and corporatization—many monks also felt Islam was to blame. In their minds, the conflict was anchored to the larger discussion of religious violence"
    The conflict is historical. The 2 southern provinces were pawns
    during the height of the british empire. There were never part of thailand. The people are not thais but ethnic malays. The 2 provinces
    were
    conveniently handed over to thailand by britain as part of a peace
    deal.

Monks are also human beings, most of them are not enlightened.
    So, they are just as capable of doing foolish things. I just dont see
    Ajahn Chah carrying a gun around.
  • As pointed out, putting on a monk's robe and shaving your head does not make you enlightened. I'd add that moving to a temple and taking a monk's vows does not eliminate behavior caused by attachments and desires, because you bring those with you, no matter where you are.

The temples as a social institution are as prone to getting caught up in conflict as any other group of people. In Korea, after the last Japanese occupation we actually had monks go to war against each other, the ones considering themselves patriots trying to drive out the ones they thought were traitors by following Japanese orders.

The vows say a monk can't kill. So tell the young monk who lives in fear that thugs will break down the door one night and beat him to death, like they did his friends last month, that he has to let it happen to him. Or should he let the thugs force him to take off the robe? It's easy to tell other people to die for their beliefs instead of fight. To look for conflict, though, is something else. People easily become mobs seeing enemies where none exist, and I suppose that can happen to even temples. People are who they are.
  • Monks are people too, and unfortunately some still break the rules...
    If you can let go of your entrenched idiosyncratic beliefs about Buddhism, possibly the following link can help you understand better. :)

The Bhikkhus' Rules

A Guide for Laypeople

Bhikkhu Ariyesako

Thank you master, for enlightening me to the fact that every Theravada Monk is already an Arhat!!!

• jlljll Veteran
    Congrats DD, you have just got a new disciple. lol.
    Monks are people too, and unfortunately some still break the rules...

The Bhikkhus' Rules

A Guide for Laypeople

Bhikkhu Ariyesako

Thank you master, for enlightening me to the fact that every Theravada Monk is already an Arhat!!!

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2011
    We had a thread a few months ago that discussed the Buddha's teaching on self-defense. I recall that self-defense was permitted. But it did not include the right to kill.

In Mahayana,however, killing is ok, even for monks, if it serves a higher purpose. The Dalai Lama has said that if he had encountered Hitler up-close-and-personal, he would have killed him. In Andrew Harvey's book, "Journey to Ladakh", the Tibetan interpreter for the local lama says that it's ok for lamas to kill, because they have an enlightened view of the world that is so different from the mundane perspective that ordinary (unenlightened) people can't begin to comprehend the motives behind certain actions of the lama. They have faith that the enlightened one is acting from compassion.

But to get back more immediately to the OP's topic: I think an article for a Dharma magazine on Thai monk charitable activism, environmentalism, etc. would be very interesting. There is so much discussion in Dharma mags about "engaged Buddhism" (vs. what? passive Buddhism? Monasteries full of monks just meditating?) as if it were a Western invention, I think the Thai example would be eye-opening for some.

Warfare involving monks isn't as uncommon as one might think. Look at Sri Lanka. And Tibetan history is full of armed conflict between the different sects, monateries attacking each other, and so forth. This is where the Tibetan tradition of "warrior monks" came from.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Let's pay attention to the killer within. Is there a bite we eat or a breath we take that may not deprive another of life? Never mind airy-fairy philosophies ... seriously.

And if we can recognize not just the potential but also the actual killer within, how can we (up close and personal, never mind what anyone else says) clarify this matter?

I don't think it's anything to get into a funk about. This is what it is and Buddhism encourages us to address what is, not just what might be if pigs could fly.
  • the DharmaChakra has a... use as a weapon, too.
  • the "mother of all martial arts" was founded by BodhiDharma.