Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do Buddhists regard the Pope?

edited June 2005 in Faith & Religion
I'm just curious as to what a Buddhist would think of the Pope. I remember a word being used to describe Jesus Christ as someone who worked for the greater good of the earth and it's people and was essentially a follower of many of the values of a Buddhist, although I can't remember what that word was.

It's kind of strange that although I once went to weekly CCD at a Roman Catholic church in my city for many years, I really don't know anything about the Pope, but with all the news recently many networks have been running pieces about the things he's accomplished in his life, many that aren't religious in basis, and it is interesting to learn the amazing things he has done. As I said, maybe it's ridiculous that I know so little about such a huge world figure, but, I'm glad they're running all these pieces because I've learned alot about him.

I assume these things that a man like Pope John Paul II did for the world and accomplished in his life would be held in high regard by a Buddhist as well?

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited April 2005
    i regard the pope in the same way I regard the dalai lama. Obviously these men have a large spiritual presence that is probably tangible to those who "follow" the men. I had the opportunity to see the pope in person when he visited hamtramck, michigan several years ago. I didn't "get it", but then I was pretty young (10, 11 maybe? I don't really remember).

They do many good works and hopefully have good hearts. That's how I regard them "spiritually"

As a normal human, I have a great deal of respect for the pope, he has accomplished a great deal in his life - he speaks a great number of languages, and that says a lot about how he cares about people - he cares enough to want to learn the language of any given culture. He's a very intelligent man.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2005
    I too, like Brian would classify the Pope as one of today's most prominent spiritual leaders. Unlike the Dalai lama however, he did make some rather hasty remarks in a book* he published, which were seen by many - Christians and Buddhists alike - as belittling and trivialising Buddhism as an 'escapist pastime". He did retract the statement, insisting he had been misunderstood and misinterpreted, but unfortuantely, given the Power of the Written Word, the damage had been done. It caused a furore; Sri Lankan leaders boycotted his visit to their country, and Thich Nhat Hanh was driven to 'respond' in his book, "Living Buddha, Living Christ." The Dalai lama himself has written a book - based on several lectures he gave to a multi-denominational audience - called "The Good Heart". A book exploring the parallels between Buddhism & Christianity.

I hope the Pope's passing will be peaceful, trouble- and pain-free. I also hope that his successor will know as much Love, Respect and Affection during his role as Pope; and may he have the vision, wisdom and clarity to speak to all hearts as one.

*"Crossing the Threshold of Hope"
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2005
    I am amused by religions and it's a hobby of mine to study them whenever possible. I have been reading a lot about the new pope and his views about the church and the world. I saw an article that points out some of his firmer beliefs. Are you ready for this?

1. He condemns religious plurlism and relativism. (Which means he rejects the idea that other religions can hold the way to salvation. Only the Catholics have the true way.)

2. Called Buddhism an "auto-erotic" spirituality that threatened the Catholic church in an interview March 1997

3. In 2004 he repeated a prohibition on women priests and criticized feminism, stating it ignores biological differences. (So, men and women are different, ok, what does that have to do with women not being good enough to preach?)

4. In 1988 he criticized American bishops for their acceptance of condoms to stop the spread of AIDS. (Moron)

5. And finally says in 2003 there is no grounds at all for ever considering gay unions. Same sex marriages are "destructive for the family and society". Marriage is holy and homosexuality goes against the natural moral law. (As if somewhere there is a book that states, along with gravity, that from the instant of the big bang being gay is wrong.)

Not the most tolerate of men. I don't think he'll be as open and inclusive as the late John Paul II. He surely won't be visiting any Wats anytime soon.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited April 2005
    Well, he's 78. This will be a "transitional papacy" as they say :-/
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2005
    While in public many representatives of the world-wide Catholic faith have applauded the choice of Pope, in private I can safely say the majority of catholics are wringing their hands in utter despair.
    he's German (which inspite of what history books may tell you) does not sit well with the Italians, he was a member of the Hitler Youth Movement (obligatory at the time, but still a point against him, nonetheless) and he's 20 years older now, than Pope J.P. II was, when he was elected to Pope. Most catholics were hoping and - quite literally - praying for a Pope who would lead them confidently into the 21st Century. Instead, they have been dragged, kicking and protesting, back into the 18th. And still, they ask themselves why young people especially, are leaving the Catholic Church - and faith - in droves. :(
  • edited April 2005
    You know, it is so funny; I have friends that are Catholic, yet I was never even remotely interested in Catholicism. Quite possibly it may be due to my inherent distate for any religion that treats women as second class or second best. I just always found its tenets and idologies to be too hard-stooled for me. I respect my Catholic friends but I will always be Wiccan at heart.

Adiana
  • edited June 2005
    federica wrote:
    Instead, they have been dragged, kicking and protesting, back into the 18th. And still, they ask themselves why young people especially, are leaving the Catholic Church - and faith - in droves. :(

I'm amused at how many of my friends were raised Catholic and left. I know very few people who actually stayed with the faith after they were 18. Even looking around here at the message boards there are many people who have left Catholicism.

At my home parish (where I am still a devout Catholic--ha!) all I see are older people. There are very few young families, maybe ten of said families to a parish with a population of about 1000. Some people have asked me why my generation is leaving, and I haven't been able to come up with a really good, solid answer yet.

For my part, I was angry at all the hypocricy. Catholics aren't supposed to use any form of birth control. I heard in a health class a few years back that only 10-15% of Catholics actually follow that. Additionally, the masses are boring. The same songs, the same movements, the same words. We stand there and recite all these creeds and hear the same monologues from the priest--but do we really believe it? I found myself saying all these things to the point that I really didn't know what I was saying; they were just words. There was no meaning behind my part. But as long as I was there, said what I said, listened, kneeled repeatedly--I was a Catholic then. Regardless if I liked it, regardless if I felt fulfilled, regardless of anything. In reality I was empty, I had questions and no answers, I saw mass as a waste of time because I didn't take anything from it.

I'm a lot happier here. :lol:

Jules
  • edited June 2005
    Adiana wrote:
    You know, it is so funny; I have friends that are Catholic, yet I was never even remotely interested in Catholicism. Quite possibly it may be due to my inherent distate for any religion that treats women as second class or second best. I just always found its tenets and idologies to be too hard-stooled for me. I respect my Catholic friends but I will always be Wiccan at heart.

Adiana
    :D I was born and raised Catholic, yet was never even remotely interested in Catholicism. I have always been Buddhist at heart, just didn't know it until recently.

kris