Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Karmapa: Tibetan Buddhism's Next Great Leader?

B5CB5C Veteran
edited July 2011 in Faith & Religion
"At first look, His Holiness The Seventeenth Gyalwang Karmapa is intimidating. Well built, self possessed, and with a keen glance, he walks more like a middle weight boxer than one of the most venerated religious figures in Tibetan Buddhism. As he moves around the room, the sly and playful side of his twenty-six year old character flashes occasionally as he teases his capable translator and raises an eyebrow with interest at an hors d'oeuvre nervously presented to him. Later, as he begins to share his perspective on individual spirituality and global concerns, a fully formed figure emerges - that of a powerful young man who is rapidly becoming a world religious leader.

HH the Gyalwang Karmapa is the 17th incarnated head of the Karma Kagyu school of Tibetan Buddhism, that began slightly over 900 years ago. The Karma Kagyu school is one of four in Tibet, represents approximately 20% of Tibetan Buddhists, and has hundreds of monasteries and centers all over the world. All four schools of Tibetan Buddhism recognize the leadership of HH the Dalai Lama who the Karmapa recently joined in Washington D.C. for the Kalachakra gathering for World Peace. However he bristles at any talk of him being the next Dalai Lama: "I will not be the next Dalai Lama, That Is Impossible."

While it is impossible for the Karmapa to become the next Dalai Lama for the obvious reason of lineage, he has begun to command the spiritual resonance and political heft associated with his elder Tibetan spiritual leader. In the years to come, the Karmapa may play a crucial role in the central concern of Tibet - China. The Chinese government recognizes the Karmapa's legitimacy which may make him a powerful negotiating partner in that ongoing struggle."

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-raushenbush/the-karmapa-tibetan-buddh_b_913851.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Let's just hope the DL does reincarnate, and that they find his reincarnation. Without the Panchen Lama, the Karmapa will probably be the one to officially recognize and approve whatever child they find. But there's a lot of trouble China could stir up in the meantime. In any case, the DL recently said he could live another 15 or 20 years, so we don't have to fasten out seat belts yet--the rocky ride hopefully is a couple of decades away.
  • I read in Time Magazine a couple of years ago that HHDL is counting on HH Karmapa to manage the transition between Dalai Lamas.
  • I look forward to minutes of the tea party between Trinley Thaye Dorje & Ogyen Trinley... or a video would be better, but they should meet. Long live the Karmapa!
  • I'm with the the most venerable sharmapa on this one ;)
  • I look forward to minutes of the tea party between Trinley Thaye Dorje & Ogyen Trinley... or a video would be better, but they should meet. Long live the Karmapa!
    There's been some talk about them meeting, but that was last year already, I think. It's sad, this whole controversy. But you're right, that would be a very interesting teatime to watch.
  • I read in Time Magazine a couple of years ago that HHDL is counting on HH Karmapa to manage the transition between Dalai Lamas.
    It certainly looks this way, judging by how close they are, and of course, the DL gave him official recognition.

• How can they tell someone is the reincarnation of the Buddha exactly?
  • How can they tell someone is the reincarnation of the Buddha exactly?
    I very old superstitious tradition.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Let's not get into the whole Karmapa Kontroversy, how the "official" (for lack of a better term) one was chosen, etc. Unless someone wants to start a thread specifically on that. This OP is on the possibility of the Karmapa being the next spiritual leader of the Tibetan people, until the DL reincarnates, IF he reincarnates. For those who have doubts about the selection process, there have been several books written specifically about the somewhat dodgy process by which the Karmapa from China was chosen.