Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

(Article) What defines Western Buddhism?

CloudCloud Veteran
edited August 2011 in Faith & Religion
What defines Western Buddhism?

The defining characteristic of the emerging Western Buddhism is a basic pragmatism, rather than an adherence to some philosophical system or sectarian viewpoint. What most characterizes the One Dharma of the West is an allegiance to a very simple question: What works? What works to free the mind from suffering? What works to accomplish the heart of compassion? What works to awaken us from the dream states of our ignorance?
(That's just a synopsis/summary...)

Read the full article HERE. What do you think?

I think "pragmatism" does describe the lean of Buddhism in the West, personally.
Thought this was very interesting. :)

Comments

• VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited August 2011
    honestly,
    nothing really defines whatever will come out of "western buddhism"... it is a open, free and fertile land :)
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited August 2011
    We’re in a global community. There’s nothing Eastern or Western about the future; it’s global.

All religions and ideologies are clashing and interacting in this (relatively) new situation in which no religion or ideology is protected by isolation any longer.

Where this will lead?
    My guess is that all religions and grand ideologies will die out. The future belongs to science.

Buddhism will die. But I think some of its crucial insights in human nature and psychology will survive. Also I believe in a future for meditation practice.

There’s really only one thing that matters; let’s call it enlightenment or liberation, but don’t ask me what it is.
    We must keep it alive. In order to do so we must strip it from all its dogmatic clothing.
    I think.

All of this is just talk; the short answer is obvious; I don’t know anything about the future.
  • there is a division of West and East... in the minds of most.

also, the ideologies are not entirely compatible.

the noble Dharma is eternal, it may be forgotten... but it will be found again, and again.
  • Lack of seriousness.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Lack of seriousness.
    Too facile by half.

• Vagueness, imprecision, a tendency to gravitate towards what is comfortable and gratifying and to be repelled by what is unpleasant and challenging. The 'pragmatism' mentioned in the article seems to be a polite umbrella term for all of that, to my ears.

Of course, my experience has been rather limited. I have high hopes for finding a 'domestic' expression of Buddhism which is less of a restatement of conventional Western moral norms, philosophical assumptions, etc.
  • Interesting little article Cloud. Thank you.

I don't know about Western Buddhism, but it describes my approach.

Perhaps the 8 Fold Path itself would better be described as "What Works" rather than just "Right".
  • Too attached to intellectual analysis.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Too attached to intellectual analysis.
    Yes, there is this tendency. But some Buddhist traditions are very intellectual themselves. Tibetan Buddhism is highly intellectual, with its debate tradition, hundreds of books published every year analyzing different aspects of the teachings or practice, and books on commentaries upon the commentaries upon the commentaries on the sutras.

As for the "lack of seriousness" comment, that may be true in some cases, but it depends on which Westerners you're comparing to which Easterners. I came across an interesting comment in Andrew Harveys "A Journey in Ladakh". The abbot of Hemis Monastery says that he's met Westerners in India who take the Dharma much more seriously than most Eastern lay practitioners he's observed, and have a much better understanding of it, as well. It's easy to stereotype both Westerners and Easterners.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Does it change if I step foot across the prime meridian or the 180 degree meridian?

And this brings up a question I've had for a long time: If there is such a thing, does the "average" Buddhist in someplace like Thailand or Nepal, somebody who works for a living and has a family, does this person sit and study the dharma for hours on end? Does that make them more "serious" about being a Buddhist? Or is it rather found in the way they live and relate to other beings? And if the "average" Buddhist in someplace like St. Louis or Paris, who works for a living and has a family, if that person doesn't sit around and study the dharma for hours on end, are they any less serious about it than the person from the eastern hemisphere?? Cultures are drastically different in different parts of the world. Don't you think that could account for the differences in the practice of Buddhism??
  • And that raises a REALLY good question: what is practice about? How do we define "practice"? Is it meditation and studying sutras (or other texts)? or is it in how we treat other people and react to life's stresses? All of the above, I think, but my impression is that many Western Buddhists tend to define "practice" as meditation. Or perhaps that's a wrong impression...?
  • western buddhism is undefined, and we don't need another school.
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited August 2011
    the western foundation should be:
    - the four noble truths
    - the three jewels
    - the five precepts
    - 8 fold noble path

same as in the east. The rest is.....people's interpretations
  • what books?

ie: I don't recognize vajrayana texts as BodhiDharma
  • Western Buddhism tends not to turn the Buddha into a deity, it follows more the logic of Buddhist teachings, without getting into "faith" aspects and mythology.
  • edited August 2011
    I'd like to think that 'Western Buddhism' will be more 'pragmatist' than 'religious', but in reality I'd say that asking "What is Western Buddhism?" will be like asking "What is Eastern Buddhism?"