Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Curiosity

NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
edited August 2011 in General Banter
As a future vet, I wonder if anyone on this forum knows what things from V.M. (veterinary medicine) can be applied in the human domain. I mean, like treatment or disease, stuff like that...

Comments

• A fair amount I'd think. Most animals people keep as pet are mammals, and our systems aren't that much different overall. for what it's worth my own general doctor once stated to me that if he had to be stranded on a deserted island with ether a doctor or a veterinarian that he'd choose the vet. With that said you obviously can't legally treat humans with only a vet license.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    I know that most animals I would treat would be mammals and I've seen cases where someone used veterianrian-use-only-medicine to treat his infection. But, the thing is, I'm asking if I can use some veterinarian methods, or if there are common methods of treatment that work for both humans and animals alike.

I also know that I can't legally treat humans with a license vet. But if I have to deal with my own health problems, I just want to know how vet-treatment, would help me.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    in some ways, humans are similar to animals and in some ways they are different. it makes sense that some things would be applicable to both and some things aren't. for example, humans cannot catch ear mites although they are very easily transmittable between animals. animals generally cannot catch our colds or viruses (rats can actually catch strep throat, however). but i'm sure that after practicing stitching up wounds on animals, it would be the same to do it on a human.

*shrugs* i think you would just have to take it case by case.
    @ Zombiegirl

Indeed

• As a future vet, I wonder if anyone on this forum knows what things from V.M. (veterinary medicine) can be applied in the human domain. I mean, like treatment or disease, stuff like that...
    A huge majority of it. I'm a former veterinary nurse (in terms the rest of the world understands), and now a human nurse. Yes, there are things unique to animals, but a large majority of medicine crosses species boundaries. Humans live much longer than most animal species, and most animals don't do stupid things like smoking cigarettes and doing drugs, so much human suffering is self-imposed. But overall, much is similar.

So, all I have to do is learn to spot the difference between what's for animals and what-would-be-also-applied-to-humans :scratch: . Not bad at all !
    I recently heard about some medical intervention in vet area, where, for the first time, the medic used coronary by-pass to treat a bulldog's heart disease, so yeah, I guess both type of medicine can cross each other in a lot of aspects.
    Now I'm thinking if the University of Medicine of Pharmaceutics will let me sort of convert my degrees in vet into degrees in m.d. ( if by any luck this can happen, I will gladly take any harsh exams).
    To keep up the chat, I've been watching something on Animal Planet related to saving stray, abused, injured animals from the street, and...I was really surprised to see that some simple operations , like treating a more serious wound for animals is the same as for humans. Guess this thing will prove useful in the future.

Now other curiosities : where-to parkour; and what are the most easy to grow indoors medicinal plants ?
    Oh, and another thing. Related to meditation. When I meditate, I somehow see the screen in front of my eyes, expand, and, it's like zooming through phosphenes. Is it a sign, that I change the state of conciousness, like changing the focus state, or concentration from not really concentration to somewhat concentrated ?
    C'mon guys...no answers ?
  • I wouldn't get too wrapped up in seeing changes in objects when you meditate. Your brain always wants to be doing something, and if it's bored, it will invent things. I saw a little Buddha in the weave of the carpet the other day. Then it was gone :)

As always, nothing is permanent. The thing is, that I really crave to do something. I said in another post, that I found something useful to do, but, these things, only need like five to ten minutes of my attention, and after that will develop on their own. I want to grow some medicinal herbs, just in case ( Fight Club the book inoculated this idea in my brain ).

But still, I began to meditate again, and, some questions about what I experienced are written above. I've had a thread questioning the phenomenon, and no answers.
    Does any one on here know where can I find good material ( Medicine and Veterinary related) to read ? I'm interested especially in some materials that will help me to identify, and properly treat some common infections/diseases (I know most infections are treated with antibiotics , but still, I need to know).
  • What exactly are you talking about? If you or an animal of yours has some kind of infection that requires treatment, I'd see a professional. The internet has all kinds of good (and all kinds of really bad) information.
    That's why I asked. It's just for my own knowledge.
  • NomaD, post your meditation question in the "meditation" section. I'll bet you'll get more responses there.

Acupuncture works equally well on humans and animals....