Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Seiðr

VincenziVincenzi Veteran
edited August 2011 in Faith & Religion
anyone familiar with this?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    What is the word, and what does it mean? I have absolutely no idea what this thread is about and that probably holds for others as well, yet it's in the Buddhism & World Religions category so it must have something to do with Buddhism & World Religions... can you clarify, @Vincenzi?
  • http://seidr.org/
    Seid or seiðr is an Old Norse term for a type of sorcery or witchcraft which was practiced by the pre-Christian Norse. Sometimes anglicized as "seidhr," "seidh," "seidr," "seithr," or "seith," the term is also used to refer to modern Neopagan reconstructions or emulations of the practice.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    anyone familiar with this?
    Yes.
  • What would ancient Norse Paganism have to do? What is exactly your question? Are you asking to compare it to Buddhism?
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    The word has come down into modern english as "seething" as in "seething with rage" or "seething with anticipation". It is a shamanistic practice involving trance and spirit-journeying techniques.
  • I was a practitioner of Seiðr in my prior-prior life, and am now.
  • What is the word, and what does it mean? I have absolutely no idea what this thread is about and that probably holds for others as well, yet it's in the Buddhism & World Religions category so it must have something to do with Buddhism & World Religions... can you clarify, @Vincenzi?
    analysis of Norse Seiðr from a Buddhist perspective (Buddhist Cosmology and so on).
  • From the wikipedia page:
    "In the Viking Age, the practice of seid by men had connotations of 'unmanliness' or 'effeminacy' known as ergi, as its manipulative aspects ran counter to the male ideal of forthright, open behaviour."

That made me laugh for some reason. Those damn manipulative women!
  • hahaha... it is basically "high elven magic" // elves are of the "Fae world" which is devanamanarati... which is the Pleiades star cluster
    Really? All my reading of the sagas has pointed to a more mundane origin for the Alfar in Alfheimr, one of the nine worlds. I have not come across Seidr being linked to the Alfar, if you have a source for that I would be very interested.
  • @ZenBadger

can you elaborate on the Alfar in Alfheimr? I am not familiar with that name.
    What you refer to as Elves are the Alfar of Norse mythology. Elf is an english language derivation of the same term from old high german and Alfehim is literally Elf-home in english. Elves in the norse tradition encompasses both what we refer to as Elves and Dwarves, they usually seem to be a class of land-spirit although they can be classed as divine. The magic of the Alfar is not mentioned as far as I know although modern reconstructionists often assume that they used Galdr (charm singing) or some innate divine form of magic.

Incidentally, fae/fay comes from the roman goddess Fata (fate) and is unrelated to the Alfar of early medieval Germanic/Norse myth.
  • I knew a woman of Norwegian descent who practiced a form of hands-on healing that she said had been traditional in Scandinavia. I don't know if this had anything to do with what you're discussing, Vincenzi, do you?
  • @ZenBadger

the Devanamanarati = Pleaidi = Fae is my own theory.
    thanks to your knowledge it is now:

Ālfheimr = Devanamanarati = Pleaidi = FÆ

is Galðr more powerful than Seiðr? or are they equals?
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited August 2011
    @Dakini

Palmita, daughter of Giuseppe Vicenzi was a practitioner of an unknown form of magic
    (most probably Seiðr).
    G. Vicenzi is, according to my own theories... my prior-prior "abode" (life).
    They both lived in Lombardia, northern Italia.

From Northern Europe through almost Rome, the elves teached many humans how to practice what is now known as magic.
  • R.I.G.H.T...
  • skeptical doubt is one of the ten fetters.
  • That's skeptical doubt to the Dharma. If I have skeptical doubt about Scientology or Mormonism or any claims which does not agree to logic or my understanding, that is not a fetter.
  • rebirth is part of karma.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    rebirth & karma are not included in the definition of noble (supramundane) right view

thus skeptical doubt regarding [literal] rebirth is not a fetter

in fact, the opposite is true

belief in literal rebirth forms part of the 2nd fetter (sīlabbata-parāmāso), namely, wrong grasp of morality & conventions

belief in literal rebirth also demonstrates a lack of complete conviction in not-self (anatta)

:)
  • more dogma.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    definitely not

the supramundane dhamma of the Buddha is not dogma

but your unverifiable speculative imaginings about "rebirth" is dogma

so much for your declaration about being a 'non-returner'

the sentence below is dogma
    rebirth is part of karma.
    but that karma has 'fruit' or 'result' (vipaka) is not dogma

:)
  • My character in dungeons and dragons online play is an elf worshipper of Ehlonna mistress of the forests. She is first level and can cast bless and cure light wounds. She has a bow but very low strength so can't even wear armor.

Photobucket

the character sheet
    @Vincenzi
    I'm afraid I am more of a historian with an interest in the early medieval period* than a Heathen reconstructionist myself. I have no specific knowledge of the efficacy of Seidr or Galdr, although I can recommend Stephen Pollington's book Leechcraft as an introduction to healing charms. You might also find some useful information at the Viking Society for Northern Research (http://www.vsnr.org/) or through talking to other Heathens, Odinists and Asatruar but beware, they sometimes don't take well to trying to link Norse-Germanic culture to eastern cultures.

(*410AD - 1066AD to be precise, although those dates only refer to a British historical frame of reference)
  • @ZenBadger

thanks for the references... I think Galdr is stronger.
  • @jeffrey

You crack me up. On a related note, I was a dungeon master in high school. Nerds unite! :p
  • sometimes, fiction is based on reality.
This discussion has been closed.