Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

neopaganism?

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited August 2011 in Faith & Religion
A friend of mine considers herself a "neopagan." She doesn't have any concrete beliefs at this time and is really just trying to figure thigns out for herself. We only recently met, and in our short time together I have tried to explain parts of Buddhism to her, because she has asked me about it. She claims, very adamantly, that because I am buddhist, that I am considered neopaganist.

I wasn't able to discuss it because I don't know much about "neopaganism." What is neopaganism? Is buddhist practice and belief related to neopaganism in any way?

Comments

• Tibetan Buddhism is kind of pantheistic but I wouldn't say pagan.
  • edited August 2011
    If 'pagan' means polytheistic (these days at least), then 'neo-pagan' I take to mean new-agey polytheism. I don't know in what sense Buddhism would be neo-pagan. Those forms of Buddhism that involve 'bodhisattvas' I might in one sense call polytheistic, seeing as they worship and pray to the bodhisattvas (making bodhisattvas de-facto gods), but even then, those forms of Buddhism would just be 'pagan' not 'neo-pagan', as they weren't born of the new-age movement. And then there are those of us who don't worship bodhisattvas or gods of any kind, and take Buddhism to be more of a rational life-philosophy. There's no sense in which I could be pagan, let alone neo-pagan.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2011
    A friend of mine considers herself a "neopagan."
    People who reject the religions stemming from Abraham sometimes consider themselves neopagan. In her context, it really seems more like a rejection of religion (maybe Christianity specifically.) Also, she might also be beginning to notice there is some kind of value in cultivating a balanced relationship with nature and her environment. It definitely means different things to different people.

• Prometheus, I don't believe you worship bodhisattvas. Rather you ask that you should embody their qualities.
  • edited August 2011
    @Talisman
    @Prometheus
    @aMatt
    @Jeffery

Neopaganism seeks to preclude organized religion from their way of life and most of them are very eclectic and subscribe to gods and goddesses of different pantheons that have nothing in common, eg. Hecete the Crone Moon Goddess within the Greek Pantheon and Loki trickster god of the Norse. Many of them claim to be druids, yet know very little of what they are talking about. A vast amount of them are self proclaimed Wiccans and Witches. Also, some are the British Traditional Wiccas who are often trying to set the record strait with them by subscribing to their pantheons in secret, still, they are very involved in the neo-pagan movement.

FACT: Buddhism is not neo-pagan. The word neo means new. Buddhism is 2600 years of religious practice. Buddhist monks are neither stereotyped as bumpkins nor hics, which is basically what a the word pagan means, within that context.

IMO, it's all a very fluffy way of life. The neo-pagan movement is very insulting towards actual polytheist traditions who seek to preclude the word pagan all together.

My family has a long lineage of polytheists within it. None of them are pagan, wiccan, druid, witch or whatever other fluffiness that the neo-pagan movement identifies their selves as. We've had these talks with those of the Neo-pagan community before and they were very rude and snappy in their defensiveness. It would not be surprising if some random neo-pagan tried to convince a Buddhist that they are like them. Neo-pagans only are like their selves because they are the only kind to make it that way. My family will have non of it. This is agreeable to me.

However, good on them, none the less.

Deep Respects.
  • I agree @simplewitness

I tried explaining that Buddhism is not "neo" anything. That it's been around for 2500 years and she snapped at me, saying, "paganism has been around since the dawn of human history." I tried explaining a lot of Buddhist concepts and beliefs and although she seemed interested, she definitely didn't believe anything I was telling her. /shrug
  • @Talisman

Eeeeyup! Definitely not surprised.....

There are too many of them who are eccentric with audaciously and fundamentally flawed views. They are bold enough to speak about one's own origins and culture (what it is and what it is not). What's more? Too many, of "that way of life," tend to feel that they have a right to take from it and claim what serves them as their own. How? By incorporating it into their very unoriginal way of things hence "neo-paganism!" It's so rude. And they are raising their kids to think like this! ((-:

My presentation of view is coming off as that of such a rant. It is petty of me, but, it's honest. There is only so much of it that a witness with tolerate, before one witnesses more of it on a path of inquiry.

Namaste
  • edited August 2011
    Buddhism is definitely not Neopagan. Neopaganism is a modern form of Paganism, while Buddhism is an ancient religion with perhaps only some types even fitting into the pagan category. There are some Pagans who combine Buddhism with Paganism, and I see nothing wrong with eclecticism, as long as both religions are respected and it is not done haphazardly.

Talisman, it sounds like your friend is more interested in trying to win a debate, rather than finding out what the truth is.
  • Buddhism is definitely not Neopagan. Neopaganism is a modern form of Paganism, while Buddhism is an ancient religion with perhaps only some types even fitting into the pagan category. There are some Pagans who combine Buddhism with Paganism, and I see nothing wrong with eclecticism, as long as both religions are respected and it is not done haphazardly.

Talisman, it sounds like your friend is more interested in trying to win a debate, rather than finding out what the truth is.
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    There is a lot of pretty unpleasant judgmentalism going on here. Some Neopagans feel an affinity with Buddhists and Hindus because of certain similarities in core values. I know that my local Hindu Temple has had extremely good exchanges with a large Druid organisation. Those Druids and Heathens that I have dealt with professionally have been quite well versed in Brythonic and Nordic culture respectively. I have never really dealt with Wiccans so I can't comment but it is fair to say that the majority are just trying to make sense of the world just as we all are and don't really deserve such scorn.

I do know that many turn to Buddhism to fill in the gaps of their path (as with all reconstructions there are many gaps and ambiguities to be filled from other Indo-European practices), it would be a shame to turn them from the Dharma entirely through prejudice.
  • I would never turn anyone away, in fact I try my best to answer her questions sincerely and to the best of my knowledge. I was just wondering how the two religions coincide, if at all.
  • neopaganism, not neopaganism, both good. How does one keep sight of primary point while one's "I" interacts with the outside world? Does dog have Buddha nature? Attachment to ideas will become trapped in net.

If your friend says you are, what ability do you have to change their mind. Ashes falling on Buddha comes to mind.
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited August 2011
    **deleted by me**
  • **allocated for comment should time reinvent itself**
  • Having been both a "neo-pagan" and now a buddhist I can speak to this matter definitively.

Most modern neo-pagans I have encountered, and I myself labelled ourselves as Neo-pagans for two seperate reasons.

1. Paganism is viewed by many as being against the established christian norms of western society --a de facto self-chosen contrary position. That is why Talisman's lady friend chose to adamantly lump buddhism in with her neopaganism. Christian society tends to consider buddhism outside the norm, and therefore by her ignorant perspective, buddhists and pagans are allies of a sort.

2. While they technically consider themselves neo-pagans due to a perception that original paganism was all but wiped out by the coming of christianity in western society, most pagans use the two terms interchangably.

As to the idea of a hodge podge of gods and goddesses, you are dealing with a largely unorganized group of individuals with beliefs as varied as can be imagined. While some are literal in their "crossover" beliefs, I myself used the hodge-podged deities more as avatars because of their acknowledged historical and mythical qualities than anything else. As a buddhist, I know there are some who use bodhisattvas in a similar fashion.

While I am no language expert, it is my understanding that even the very meaning of the word pagan is being taken out of context. As I understand it, pagan comes from the latin root word paganus, meaning country dweller, and therefore was probably used as a kind of insult implying that country folks are more uncouth and therefore less civilized.

I hope this helps.
  • Remember the west invented hinduism. Actually the religion is so diverse like pagan spirituality.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    A friend of mine considers herself a "neopagan." She doesn't have any concrete beliefs at this time and is really just trying to figure thigns out for herself. We only recently met, and in our short time together I have tried to explain parts of Buddhism to her, because she has asked me about it. She claims, very adamantly, that because I am buddhist, that I am considered neopaganist.

I wasn't able to discuss it because I don't know much about "neopaganism." What is neopaganism? Is buddhist practice and belief related to neopaganism in any way?
    Honestly I dont think she knows what she is talking about frankly. Buddhism is Buddhism in all its forms this is rather different from Paganism and general shamanic traditions.
  • There is a lot of pretty unpleasant judgmentalism going on here. Some Neopagans feel an affinity with Buddhists and Hindus because of certain similarities in core values. I know that my local Hindu Temple has had extremely good exchanges with a large Druid organisation. Those Druids and Heathens that I have dealt with professionally have been quite well versed in Brythonic and Nordic culture respectively. I have never really dealt with Wiccans so I can't comment but it is fair to say that the majority are just trying to make sense of the world just as we all are and don't really deserve such scorn.

I do know that many turn to Buddhism to fill in the gaps of their path (as with all reconstructions there are many gaps and ambiguities to be filled from other Indo-European practices), it would be a shame to turn them from the Dharma entirely through prejudice.

Heathen traditions very, entirely. But, they are not pagan. Asatru will tell you themselves that they do not subscribe to the word pagan.

Organizations like ADF, were invented in the states and hardly any of them speak the language, let alone know for certain what actual gods the actual druids revered. Too little is actually known about them for one to claim themselves a druid, especially in the states.

Wiccans have whole lot to do with the neo-pagan community.

The common falsehood that is about Wiccans of the neo-pagan movement is that Wicca is “Ancient Paganism restored”. This is misleading and untrue. True Ancient POLYTHEISM centered around the Godhead and becomes the guard and guide over ones destiny. There was none of this “unconditional love, threefold law” tenant that Wicca preaches.

Moreover, many Wiccans still consult and show reverence to Christian figures such as “angels” or even the fictitious “virgin Mary”. They marry this in with elements of Polytheism, and it can easily be seen how illogical this is, as well as extremely harmful. They invite in all kinds of entities who are not who they say they are, and therefore invite in all kinds of personal disaster. Usually, this results in the person being frightened back into following Christianity anyway.

Wicca is not by any stretch of the imagination true Polytheism. True Ancient polytheism, is Spiritual.

Wiccans try to make the name Wicca synonymous with Heathen / Paganism - it is not! At best it is an eclectic form of 20th Century Neo-paganism pirating and pillaging from whatever spirituality they wish, mixing up spiritual frameworks that were never intended to work together. At worst it is not even Pagan or Heathen but mostly it is an eclectic mix of high magic, OTO rituals, masonic ritual, Jewish Kabala, Christian mysticism and New Age philosophy with a God and Goddess who are somehow ALL Gods and Goddesses thrown in to Paganise it.

In terms of the neo-pagan movement as a whole, they have wreaked havok & desecration to the spirituality of the North American Indians, Australian Aboriginals, Greco Romans, the Celts, the Babylonians, the Egyptians and many more. They descrate the content of the worlds religious and yet many have the gall to claim they have the RIGHT to do it.
    And still have the gull to say "Namaste" when they are done.

As leading Wiccan priestesses and a very prolific writer Margot Adler rightly said "The most authentic and hallowed wiccan tradition is stealing from any source that didn't run away too fast." Thais can, not only be said about BTW covens, but be said about the neo-pagan community as a whole.

Besides, why seek allies to band against another religion anyway? The enlightenment in that is very cloudy and is a judgmental action in itself. Why not just let them revere their gods and leave it as that? Perhaps they should leave other religions alone.

Respectfully yours, @ZenBadger
  • There is a lot of pretty unpleasant judgmentalism going on here. Some Neopagans feel an affinity with Buddhists and Hindus because of certain similarities in core values. I know that my local Hindu Temple has had extremely good exchanges with a large Druid organisation. Those Druids and Heathens that I have dealt with professionally have been quite well versed in Brythonic and Nordic culture respectively. I have never really dealt with Wiccans so I can't comment but it is fair to say that the majority are just trying to make sense of the world just as we all are and don't really deserve such scorn.

Heathen traditions very, entirely. But, they are not pagan. Asatru will tell you themselves that they do not subscribe to the word pagan.

Organizations like ADF, were invented in the states and hardly any of them speak the language, let alone know for certain what actual gods the actual druids revered. Too little is actually known about them for one to claim themselves a druid, especially in the states.

Wiccans have a whole lot to do with the neo-pagan community.

[The common falsehood that is about Wiccans of the neo-pagan movement is that Wicca is “Ancient Paganism restored”. This is misleading and untrue. True Ancient POLYTHEISM centered around the Godhead and becomes the guard and guide over ones destiny. There was none of this “unconditional love, threefold law” tenant that Wicca preaches.

Moreover, many Wiccans still consult and show reverence to Christian figures such as “angels” or even the fictitious “virgin Mary”. They marry this in with elements of Polytheism, and it can easily be seen how illogical this is, as well as extremely harmful. They invite in all kinds of entities who are not who they say they are, and therefore invite in all kinds of personal disaster. Usually, this results in the person being frightened back into following Christianity anyway.

Wicca is not by any stretch of the imagination true Polytheism. True Ancient polytheism, is Spiritual.

Wiccans try to make the name Wicca synonymous with Heathen / Paganism - it is not! At best it is an eclectic form of 20th Century Neo-paganism pirating and pillaging from whatever spirituality they wish, mixing up spiritual frameworks that were never intended to work together. At worst it is not even Pagan or Heathen but mostly it is an eclectic mix of high magic, OTO rituals, masonic ritual, Jewish Kabala, Christian mysticism and New Age philosophy with a God and Goddess who are somehow ALL Gods and Goddesses thrown in to Paganise it.

In terms of the neo-pagan movement as a whole, they have wreaked havok & desecration to the spirituality of the North American Indians, Australian Aboriginals, Greco Romans, the Celts, the Babylonians, the Egyptians and many more. They descrate the content of the worlds religious and yet many have the gall to claim they have the RIGHT to do it.
    And still have the gall to say "Namaste" when they are done.

As leading Wiccan priestesses and a very prolific writer Margot Adler rightly said "The most authentic and hallowed wiccan tradition is stealing from any source that didn't run away too fast." Thais can, not only be said about BTW covens, but be said about the neo-pagan community as a whole.]

Besides, why seek allies to band against another religion anyway? The enlightenment in that is very cloudy and is a judgmental action in itself. Why not just let them revere their gods and leave it as that? Perhaps they should leave other religions alone.

Respectfully yours, @ZenBadger
  • Wicca, as far as the actual beliefs are concerned, is fine. It's an eclectic religion and it's not ancient. Many Wiccans do acknowledge that Wicca was founded in modern times, although it has borrowed some concepts and practices from ancient religions. It teaches that one should do no harm, and honors nature and its cycles. I see nothing wrong with any of this. It sounds quite beautiful to me. The only issue I have with SOME Wiccan's rituals is that some of them are secretive. I'm not fond of secret religious rituals because they can give the impression that unsavory things are being done and are, therefore, hidden.
  • I used to consider myself a practitioner of Wicca. In fact, today I kind of had a relapse into some of my more eclectic stores of knowledge and started wondering "if I should become Wiccan again." Then, of course, I am followed by the "No, I want to continue playing Buddhist some more..." "Oh... but Daoism is nice..." "How about the International Society for Krishna Consciousness?" "And Paramahansa Yogananda was great..."

(Honestly, Krishnamurti was right!! Listen to my stupid, clinging mind, desperately searching for a way to come to terms with death! HAH! I swear, I'd follow Rush Limbaugh if I heard him say something I agreed with, in the right frame of mind, at the right time of day.)

This conversation is great. I needed it.
  • Wiccans make it up as they go along. Ranging from GBG to Edward Fitch. Alexsanders- to Lady Galetia (spelling in question.) It's a benign religion, indeed; none the less, offensive to other polytheist cultures. It's unnecessarily problematic.

However, this is why Buddhism has my utmost respect. Like Neo Paganism and Wicca, both Traditional and Eclectic, it is a benign religion in the fact that is has no history of crusading for enlightenment. But, unlike the fluff above, it is a mindful religion of forbearance, compassion, and simplicity of being. It not only offends other religions it welcome its practices to be incorporated into them; all the while, abstaining from being offensive to other very true polytheist cultures.

Look! We are having this conversation right now without anyone being accused of trolling.

Thankfully, @Tealeaf and @Amelia:
    SimpleWitness
  • Typo in the above comment.
    *"it is not only non offensive" was being edited but didn't edit fully. Sorry.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Offensiveness has to do with the person offended as well as the object offending. Investigate multiple causes I think. In other words investigate and transform your own mind.
    @Simplewitness

I think we are talking about different countries here. In the UK Heathens, Asatruar, Vanatruar, Odinists and the like definitely do call themselves pagan. I sit in on an interfaith council from time to time and the Pagan Federation rep is a Heathen as are many of the local Pagan Federation members. Very few of the Druids I know date their tradition back before the eighteenth century and adapt it constantly as information becomes available from archaeology. There are a few "fluffies" on the fringe but then again there are many, many more "fluffies" on the fringe of Buddhism. As for Wiccans having anything to do with angels or the Virgin Mary, I asked a representative of the Pagan Fed and he said this was a highly offensive thing to say, Wiccans have nothing at all to do with Christianity.

The fact that this kind of slur is coming up on a Buddhist forum is extremely disappointing.
  • I agree, ZenBadger. I'm in the US, BTW, and I have met Reconstructionists of various ancient faiths including Kemeticism (Egyptian), Hellenismos (Greek), Asatru, Romuva (Lithuanian), and others. They all call themselves Pagan. None of them were offended by Wicca, per se. They only got offended by SOME Wiccans--the ones who choose to use gods from other faiths as merely a tool for a ritual, or combine gods that should not be combined in a ritual (for example--offering wine to a bunch of gods, without knowing or considering that 1 or more of them actually dislike alcohol.) In fact, many Pagans who combine deities in rituals before doing any research are not Wiccans at all, and many Wiccans don't do this.
  • @SimpleWitness
    Just curious, how did the neo-pagans "wreak havoc and desecration to the spirituality" of all those people/religions?

@ZenBadger
    Agreed.
  • @Jeffery
    Much appreciated. Thank you.

@Tealeaf
    @ZenBadger
    Believe what you will of it. It bodes well to bow out.

Namaste
    @Simplewitness

I believe what I have seen from my friends and colleagues of the Pagan faiths over the years and what I have learned through interaction with Pagans. No religions are universally accepted, even Buddhism has become anathema to many in this country, but we don't have the right to spread misinformation about another's religion. I think it would be a good idea for both of us to leave this thread lest it become a debate on the right for someone to follow their own particular religion.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

FACT: Buddhism is not neo-pagan. The word neo means new. Buddhism is 2600 years of religious practice. Buddhist monks are neither stereotyped as bumpkins nor hics, which is basically what a the word pagan means, within that context.

IMO, it's all a very fluffy way of life. The neo-pagan movement is very insulting towards actual polytheist traditions who seek to preclude the word pagan all together.

My family has a long lineage of polytheists within it. None of them are pagan, wiccan, druid, witch or whatever other fluffiness that the neo-pagan movement identifies their selves as. We've had these talks with those of the Neo-pagan community before and they were very rude and snappy in their defensiveness. It would not be surprising if some random neo-pagan tried to convince a Buddhist that they are like them. Neo-pagans only are like their selves because they are the only kind to make it that way. My family will have non of it. This is agreeable to me.

However, good on them, none the less.

Deep Respects.
    As a former Wiccan, I can absolutely agree that Buddhism is NOT Neo-Pagan. In fact, I find Neo-Pagans to be wannabes who are seduced by the commercialisation and dilution of Pagan practises, particularly Gardnerian Wicca, Druidism and other reconstructionist paths like Asatru and Hellenismos.

@SimpleWitness, the key give away to Neo-Pagans is their almost Pythonesque "Don't you oppress me!" reaction to anything resembling research, facts or correction of their fluffbunny and often incorrect interpretations of pre-Christian religious practises. I was initiated into Gardnerian Wicca and quickly found myself drawn to Asatru because of the structure, historical evidence and support.

There ARE some really good Wiccans, Druids and the like out there, but they are usually the hidden minority, and often stay hidden by choice (can't blame them).

In metta,
    Raven
  • All just labels and names. Just like post-indie-grungecore etc.... More complication the mind doesn't need :/
  • @NotaGansta

Deep peace. You're cool.
    ;D

@dhammachick

Much gratitude, Raven.

Adharak ;D

Namaste
  • I used to be a "neo-pagan" and I can tell you confidently buddhism is not paganism. Your friend doesn't sound like she has a good grasp of either religion to assume that. They are very similar in some ways, both supporting mindfulness, karma, and meditation. But neo-paganism differs in that they believe highly in a concept of "god" and "goddess" and also heavily cling to the self, because most use "Rituals" and "spells" for a way to either "delude" themselves or get what their ego wants. I don't think this is the correct way to practice the religion, but it is how neo-paganism is marketed these days and how most come by the religion, so even though it is a little bit of an insulting statement the validity still stands.