Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Searching for understanding

edited May 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Hi there,

This is my first post! :)

I initially became interested in Buddhism a few years ago, but never had much chance to research it that well. As I grew older I began to develop my own ideas about the world, other issues and the way in which I could live my life happily. Recently, especially after having been through some difficult times, I have felt myself being drawn to Buddhism once again and been trying to investigate the Buddhist way of life, mainly through the internet, but I have also just finished book entitled “Introduction to Buddhism” by Gashe Kelsang Gyatso, which was very helpful. Through this research I have come to discover that many of the ideas in Buddhism are the same as my own. The Buddhist way of life makes sense although there are some ideas which I have yet to fully comprehend and I thought some one here may be able to help with this, either by sharing their opinions or suggesting other sources of information.

Firstly, love and attachment; there is another thread on this site that discusses Buddhism in today’s western society and this issue also arises in the posts. As I have read, detaching yourself from other people is an important step to avoid suffering when you lose those that you have become close to. Yet by not loving people are you not missing out on positive feelings that could lead to some good?

Secondly, passion and art; a lot of music and other art is created by passionate people. I read somewhere that passion ultimately leads to suffering, but can’t it also lead to good deeds and some happiness?

Should we strike a balance with these issues, i.e. be passionate about issues yet be constantly aware that this passion can cause harm therefore you need to try to ensure that this feeling is managed carefully, the same with love?

Thank you for reading this, apologies if I have rambled on or confused anyone with my thoughts. Any opinions you have regarding these points would be great to read.

Thanks again.

Laura :)

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2005
    Hello Laura. I don't know how much this will help you but, in buddhism there are two main teachings: one for the monks and one for the lay people. Now to reach complete liberation the Buddha taught monks a very strict way of life to make it possible to realize their goal as quickly as possible, in this very life. So things such as being married were of course not allowed. It is very hard to just spend all day in meditation to reach this stage when you must support a family,and it does bring a large amount of attachment into you life. The lay person is not expected to be detached from people. A lay person can be married or date, but the key thing to always remember is that everything in life is uncertain. Don't get too attached to someone and don't become obsessed because once they are gone you will feel great suffering. Some people can be married and still keep in mind that their relationship, as well as life, is impermanent, so they don't get angry or very sad when they are seperated from that person. The Buddha did say that lay people can also reach enlightenment in this life, but it is much harder. So even if you are married or dating there is still reason enough ot practice. The more you practice, the more wisdom you will develop.

Passion, like all things in life, can bring happiness and sadness. Art, music, poetry are wonderful things. There are monks who would spontaniously say poems about the Dhamma. The only thing that really causes us "suffering" is the attachment to the happiness-because once it's gone you miss it and grieve, and the sadness causes "suffering" because we forget that it is impermanent. We hold it inside and say how horrible we feel. Nothing on it's own causes suffering. It's how we react and perceive things that causes the "suffering". Passion is passion. Good and bad are concepts. The mental state is real but our "view" of it is not. Music is only music. Just sounds. Whether you think it is good or bad is not real, only a concept you have. It can change. You may hate jazz all your life, but one day you may find you like it all of a sudden. The middle path is all about balance and awareness. All you need is to be mindful and have patience. This is what I have learned myself from Buddhism. I hope that it helps you a little and welcome to the forum.
  • edited April 2005
    Thank you Elohim for taking the time to reply,

I enjoyed reading your post. It was very informative and has helped me to clarify a few ideas. I am still learning much about Buddhism and enjoying the journey. Again i thank you for your help with my explorations.

Laura.
  • edited April 2005
    Firstly, love and attachment; there is another thread on this site that discusses Buddhism in today’s western society and this issue also arises in the posts. As I have read, detaching yourself from other people is an important step to avoid suffering when you lose those that you have become close to. Yet by not loving people are you not missing out on positive feelings that could lead to some good?

Detaching by separating from your loved one can be so painful that suffering is unavoidable. Detaching by not allowing yourself to love and otherwise can be so much more painful experience that you may have to suffer for a lifetime. However, if you learn to detach by “letting go”, you may be able to make peace with your inner enemy, the suffering.

I truly believe that the context of detaching from your reading is to let go of your attachments. Buddha said that all things will not or can not last forever. A circle of life is to be born, to get old, to suffer from illness, and, finally, to die. At the end, we all can not take anything with us when we die. When it is time to go (to die), will you have the will to let go of everything? When someone that you love most has to leave, can you let them go? When you boyfriends/girlfriends have lost their love within, can you not ask why but letting them leave quietly? As humans, we will have to suffer from all these events. But, if you learn how to “let go”, in time, you might be able to understand your suffering and end it.

One recent example is when I suffer from a slipped disc injury. Last Wednesday, when I lift a basket of my laundry, I felt a thunder shock at my lower back, and I could not move my left leg for a moment of 5 minutes. The first 2 days of my injury, I cloud barely walk or move my body. I have lost all my power at my lower body. After I read many articles about slipped disc injury, I found that paralysis could be a result of it. At that moment, I was suffering physically and mentally. After 2-3 days of such suffering, I had to let it go. If I were to be paralyzed, I would have to use all that I have left to go on with my life. And, that was the end of my suffering, not completely but letting go allows me to focus on recover from this injury rather than worrying for something that is not yet happening.

Secondly, passion and art; a lot of music and other art is created by passionate people. I read somewhere that passion ultimately leads to suffering, but can’t it also lead to good deeds and some happiness?

If the passion causes attachments to your life, my comments would be the same as I have shared above. When we have passion toward something, as all things are being equal, such things are “ours”, our friends, our parents, our money, our body, our life, our music, our paintings, and so on. What is ours? When we have to take our leave from this being, can we take them with us? Of course, such passion causes suffering as well.

Buddha teachings were based on fact of life. When we are hungry, we must eat. Regardless of what we eat, we must satisfy our natural needs. Buddha, for instance, meditated without eating for a long time, for he thought that a need to eat is suffering. Eventually, he realized that he must eat to satisfy his body needs to carry on his objective.
    But, to have a crave for taste once you are hungry, it is suffering. As other things are being equal, for instance, if you must eat steak, and you are not in the position to have one, you will suffer. Such suffering is not a result of your hunger. It is surely from your attachment to the tease of the steak.
  • edited April 2005
    its morning where i am, so a graet big good morning to every one of you out there .
    . i hope you don't mind, but i've adopted you all as the sangha that i've wanted to be a part of since my realiseation. i use the word raelisation instead of enlitenment because, like many of us out there,... yes you guessed correctly, i,ve not become enlitened. i,m shure i'm not the first person that has had the experence that i've had. it hit me so hard, like the proverbial express train one day,that i had tears in my eyes. there i was minding my own business, when BANG!!!!!, my subconsciuos said "stop behaving so selfishley, and stop feeling so sorry for your self all the time,your a BUDDHIST man, now snap out of it and start thinking possatively. seriously though, thats not far removed from how it acctually happened. i would be engaged in conversation with some one,.... poverty, famin, pollatics,...and people would say "are you a bubbhist or something?" well,... there you are..... i'm constantly struggleing with Tara and hungry ghosts and all that stuff, but the books i'v read and the information i've been given, all bring me back to the same conclusion. its almost as if, wether i like it or not, i am a BUDDHIST. i do acctually like it very much and i will be boring you all and constantly asking advice from here on in. so happy chanting. P.S. please be gentle with me.
  • edited April 2005
    Well welcome aboard Rooster. We are glad to be here for you as you will be for others that visit this site. To address the question above, love and passion are important in life, one's soul will not be complete without them. However, to succumb to the dark side of either (i.e. Love=Hate, Jealousy; Passion=Want, desire) is to lose the path. Having love and passion, especially in today's society, is, in my view, very important. They just need to be kept in perspective. Neither are permanent, behaving as if they are in counter productive.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited April 2005
    rooster wrote:
    its morning where i am, so a graet big good morning to every one of you out there .
    . i hope you don't mind, but i've adopted you all as the sangha that i've wanted to be a part of since my realiseation. i use the word raelisation instead of enlitenment because, like many of us out there,... yes you guessed correctly, i,ve not become enlitened. i,m shure i'm not the first person that has had the experence that i've had. it hit me so hard, like the proverbial express train one day,that i had tears in my eyes. there i was minding my own business, when BANG!!!!!, my subconsciuos said "stop behaving so selfishley, and stop feeling so sorry for your self all the time,your a BUDDHIST man, now snap out of it and start thinking possatively. seriously though, thats not far removed from how it acctually happened. i would be engaged in conversation with some one,.... poverty, famin, pollatics,...and people would say "are you a bubbhist or something?" well,... there you are..... i'm constantly struggleing with Tara and hungry ghosts and all that stuff, but the books i'v read and the information i've been given, all bring me back to the same conclusion. its almost as if, wether i like it or not, i am a BUDDHIST. i do acctually like it very much and i will be boring you all and constantly asking advice from here on in. so happy chanting. P.S. please be gentle with me.

Good morning :D

This is my sangha as well. I was so desperate to find a group of people to share my growth into buddhism with, that I had to create my own community :lol:

Welcome to our growing family. Years from now, after we all know each other really well, we'll look back at threads like this and laugh at how little we knew each other "back then" :p
  • edited April 2005
    Hi everyone!!

I would just like to say how glad i am that i found this site and thank you to everyone who has posted on all the threads on this website. I am still exploring Buddhism and keeping an eye on all the threads. I have learnt so much from you all about this way of life.

Laura
  • edited April 2005
    Glad to have you. Hope that we can be of some assistance through this wonderful, spiritual revelation that you are about to go through. Don't be a stranger!!!
  • edited May 2005
    This is my first posting, or reply, as well. I have been researching Buddhism a great deal recently. I have read a few books by the Dalai Lama and some by Jack Kornfield. I know there are different schools of thought in Buddhism, as there are several Protestant denominations. While I have attended a sit and found the experience great, I want to be able to attend services at a church and really look into beoming a Buddhist "officially".
    Unfortunately, I work Sundays-something I am trying to change-and have not been able to find a church that holds services on other days. (I live in Long Beach, California.)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    hello Flyte, and welcome to the site! Indeed hello to everyone above! Hya Rooster, nice to see you again - this is MY sangha too - !! :) , helloLaura, lovely to see you again, too.....

Flyte, I'm slightly puzzled.... when you talk about church, do you mean 'church' or 'temple'? You mention protestantism, but you say you are really looking into becoming a 'Buddhist'? Let me get this right..... You're keen to embrace both disciplines...Christianity AND Buddhism....? And what's this 'sit' you attended, could you be more specific? You can't find a church that's open other days besides sundays.....? is that right?
    First, let me explain that I'm Buddhist, but Roman Catholic by birth, and I'm English, but I live in France....!
    Some ParishesI have known, hold services on Saturday evenings, for those who are unable to attend sundays. Try investigating that. If you'd like to think on how to combine your two desires (Christianity and Buddhism) read a book by an Englishman called Jim Pym, entitled "You don't have to sit on the floor!". he addresses the issues and challenges concerned, and comes up with some very good advice...
    Hope I got things right, and that some of the above helps!
    Again, welcome, and hope that you decide to stick around in our wonderful little 'Virtual Sangha' - !!
  • edited May 2005
    Flyte and Laura,

I am Adiana and I wanted to say hi and welcome. I was born into the Baptist faith, but chose Wicca as my spiritual path. I am also a Nichiren Buddhist. Like both of you, I was always drawn to Buddhism and have finally decided to practice it. There are many diverse people of many origins here and that is a good thing. Anyway, welcome!

Adiana