Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

God is love

betaboybetaboy Veteran
edited August 2011 in Faith & Religion
The gospel of John: God is love.

Does that mean we must love everyone, including those who harm us? How? Is this similar to metta meditation?

BB

Comments

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited August 2011
    We can leave God, Love and Metta out of it.

I don’t think we have to cultivate artificial feelings of wanting to kiss and hug every peace of scum.
    It’s more like feeling connected – much like the thing parents feel towards their children. Whatever they do, wherever they go, for as long as they live you feel connected.
    That doesn’t mean you can not be mad at them occasionally, it doesn’t mean you take everything they do for granted. But deep down you never give up on them.

• Hatred is the disease, love is the antidote. When we allow ourselves to fall into hatred, it poisons us. This is why it is important to cultivate loving kindness for all beings, which can be done via metta meditation.

When I think of people who would be considered evil by most of us, I visualize them as babies and I remind myself that no one is born evil. I believe that evil people fall into evil gradually as a result of exposure to malignant influences in their lives, possibly exacerbated by certain genetic predispositions. If their lives had been different, perhaps they wouldn't have fallen into evil ways. When I find myself wanting to hate them I remind myself of the phrases typically used in metta meditation:

May they be safe and protected.

May they be peaceful and happy.

May they be healthy and strong.

May they have ease of well being (and accept all the conditions of the world).

If those who would harm us felt peaceful and safe and had ease of well being, they would be less likely to feel a need to harm us. I realize that redemption is unlikely for many evil doers, but even in such cases, we don't have to allow ourselves to fall into hatred. We can simply hope that a way can be found to prevent them from harming others and do our best to keep ourselves safe.

Regarding the Buddha's teaching on redemption, take a look at the Angulimala Sutta:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.086.than.html

Alan
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    The gospel of John: God is love.

Does that mean we must love everyone, including those who harm us? How? Is this similar to metta meditation?
    Yes. It is exactly the same.

However, it was the Buddha who redefined "God" as "love".

Please refer to the Tevijja Sutta at the link.

http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/1Digha-Nikaya/Digha1/13-tevijja-e.html

Regards :)

• Brahma Vihara :: Maitri

...another thing in common (if the BodhiDharma were theist).
  • The gospel of John: God is love.

BB
    Compared to Buddhist teaching, the God of the Bible as described in the words there is not metta, because the love is not really unconditional.

Yes, you should cultivate metta for everyone, including those who harm you.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Where there is separation -- man from God, joy from sorrow, tall from short, kindness from unkindness, wealth from poverty, spiritual life from ordinary life -- then we have missed the 'love' boat.

Simultaneously, where there is no separation and the hymns of one-ness are sung, the 'love' boat has also sailed.

Things are probably a bit easier when we leave 'love' and 'God' to others and just develop a clear and constant practice.
  • It's not about cooing and hugging and loving. It's about understanding. You understand that people are the way they are because they are suffering. Like what has been said. It's connectedness. Love is simply the wrong word. When somebody harms you, you understand that it is a result of their suffering. You realize that you would act in the same way if you were everything they are. That person is a result of past action. All the way until the present moment, they are merely a summation of cause and effect. Now, what will you do with this understanding? Are you going to project it outward? Are you going to project it inward? Are you going to leave it?

The "Buddha" thing to do would be to take the harm without flinching, ill will, negative thought, etc. Just understanding everything. When you become so interconnected with everything, striking out at the person who harms you is like striking yourself. You are creating suffering in another being. How do you justify it? Tit for tat? To what ends? When will the cycle stop? Who will be the one to stop it?

Yes. It is exactly the same.

http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/1Digha-Nikaya/Digha1/13-tevijja-e.html

I liked it. It reminds me of other similar suttas, but it is interesting that the instruction ends with union with Brahma. It seems very common that the Buddha will continue his discourse beyond the immediate desires of those he is teaching in order to elucidate the true purpose of the path, emancipation and unbinding, Arhatship.

Would this "union with Braham" then be synonomous with Non-returner status?
  • Love is a complex human emotion.

God is a figment of our imagination.
  • edited August 2011
    Sometimes 'God is love' is a bit of a bait-and-switch game. You get some theists saying "Well, do you feel love? Then you believe in God, because God is love". But obviously they don't believe that God is JUST love; they also believe that God is a literal super-being. I prefer to avoid the confusion and just speak of love itself, without the G-word.
  • What does the word "god" have to do with the word "love?"

"Love" is a practice and "god" is an unattainable extension of self and other. The only thing that they have in common is that they are both choices of belief.

If there were a choice, amongst the believers, my choice would be to believe in neither, because if there is a "god" then god is love and hate. Love and hate are two unnecessary passions. And people make that difference not "god."

Namaste

So God is as real as us---hallelujah! (with apologies to Leonard Cohen)---or are we more than figments of imaginations?

Traleg Rinpoche says this. I think it's insightful:

"If you have a certain feeling of the presence of another being or another mind in meditation, it has to be understood as part of oneself. We might say that it has something to do with glimpsing one's Buddha-nature, or something like that, rather than automatically thinking, 'I am in the presence of some greater being that is separate from me.' It may be that one is gradually accessing a part of oneself that one is not familiar with. If one sees God as part of oneself, that would be much more similar to the Buddhist idea. If God is seen as totally other, where there is some kind of unequal relationship: that is quite different to the Buddhist view."
  • Would this "union with Braham" then be synonomous with Non-returner status?
    imo, definitely not. it is mundane

having some scholars, such as Grombich, and some poor scholars, such as Leigh Brasington, regard it as synonynous with Nibbana :wtf:
    "God is love" was an attempt to reform religious doctrine (by the Christians), which failed miserably :hrm:
  • It's not about cooing and hugging and loving. It's about understanding. You understand that people are the way they are because they are suffering. Like what has been said. It's connectedness. Love is simply the wrong word. (...)
    that's karuna (compassion), love is dead... only maitri should remain.
    "God is love" was an attempt to reform religious doctrine (by the Christians), which failed miserably :hrm:
    God is love is the summary of some of the teachings of Jesus.
  • (...)

I liked it. It reminds me of other similar suttas, but it is interesting that the instruction ends with union with Brahma. It seems very common that the Buddha will continue his discourse beyond the immediate desires of those he is teaching in order to elucidate the true purpose of the path, emancipation and unbinding, Arhatship.

Would this "union with Braham" then be synonomous with Non-returner status?
    Yes, because the aim is to have a rebirth in Sudavasa Vihara (were only other anagamis reside).

Hunab Ku (the Brahma of this Galaxy) exists... there is personal proof/experience on my part (and it does not contradict anatta).
  • Yes, because the aim is to have a rebirth in Sudavasa Vihara (were only other anagamis reside).
    anagamis, like all enlightened beings, are such due to the eradication of self-view

Hunab Ku (the Brahma of this Galaxy) exists...
    In your head maybe, but not mine.

• Yes, because the aim is to have a rebirth in Sudavasa Vihara (were only other anagamis reside).
    anagamis, like all enlightened beings, are such due to the eradication of self-view

even so, the practicality of it... is that Sudavasa Vihara seems like a nice place to visit.
  • (...)

you deny that there is a center of a galaxy, and that the energy and matter that emanates from it exist?

Buddh'ists are such an uptight group sometimes...

don't insult me, mind is not brain... head is just a place.

Hunab Ku (the [anatta]Brahma[/anatta] of this [anicca]Galaxy[/anicca]) exists.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    There is a time in meditation where you can experience Love for all no matter who they are and what they do. Some say that this experience is God; others the Soul which is also God. But the experience happens in meditation. I believe this while Buddhists believe other things about this experience. But yes, you learn to have compassion for even the most evil because you know that they are suffering too, and sometimes more so than their victims.

There are Christians Dhamma who do practice this love. Not all are evil. It seems to me that there are people in every religion that practices love. And I have seen a lot of unlove in Buddhism as well.
  • Would this "union with Braham" then be synonomous with Non-returner status?
    imo, definitely not. it is mundane

having some scholars, such as Grombich, and some poor scholars, such as Leigh Brasington, regard it as synonynous with Nibbana :wtf:
    The reason I equated the Buddha's description of the "union with Brahma" with that of the non-returner is because he describes it as devoid of the 5 lower hindrances. Then again he doesnt specifically say that they are devoid of self-view but rather "have mastery of self."

So nevermind, actually. I agree that such an attainment would be "mundane." Nevertheless, in comparison to the struggling masses of beings trapped within the lesser spheres of existence, such a "union with Brahma" is still one heck of an achievment, no matter how much it pales in comparison to that of the stream-entrant or particularly the Buddha.

How in the world could these "scholars" equate such an attainment to that of unbinding and release? You would have to be a complete fool to make that assumption. :banghead:
  • edited September 2011
    What does the word "god" have to do with the word "love?"
    If this claim was truth, it is a good sign for such an attempt, apparently from the "help" of the "God" pressure that inadvertently revolutionailizing the path of Christians same as the ultimate reality of Buddha nature or truth love. This would bring personal well beings and world peace in a very constructive journey :p May all be safe and be peace. With deepest love & metta!
  • "Love" is a rather vague word. Personally, I feel "compassion" is a better word choice in English, and perhaps closer to the original koinos Greek word "agape."

I have no reason to think a god exists, much less the Christian one. However, if "God is compassion" then then also, "Compassion is God." Insofar as I "believe" in compassion, then that is a "god" I can "believe" in. But that isn't usually what Christians mean by their god.
  • (...)
    you deny that there is a center of a galaxy, and that the energy and matter that emanates from it exist?
    No, I don't deny our galaxy has an approximate centre point, and not really sure why you think I would. I don't know enough about cosmology to say whether there is energy emanating from this centre.
    Buddh'ists are such an uptight group sometimes...

don't insult me, mind is not brain... head is just a place.

Hunab Ku (the [anatta]Brahma[/anatta] of this [anicca]Galaxy[/anicca]) exists.
    Not sure why you find it insulting when I suggest that I don't believe in a God that you do.

BTW, is this the Hunab Ku you are referring to? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunab_Ku If so, apparently this is a psuedo-Mayan deity conceived by Christian missionaries. Not sure of the Buddhist connection?

Namaste

BB
    Does anyone actually read what the "Prince of Peace" has said?

Matthew 10:35-36
    "For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother,
    and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household."

Luke 12:51-53
    Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
    For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two,
    and two against three. The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father;
    the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother;
    the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Luke 14:26
    If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children,
    and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Luke 19:27
    “But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign
    over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.”

I'm not so sure that "god" is love.
  • Is God really love? Are you sure that 'love' is something more than a chemical response? Whatever God is, perhaps you can only perceive it as love... you just have to be able to live with yourself - live it as you can bear - understand that you could be mugged and stabbed by a random stranger who you have showed 'love' to -this is 2011 - walk with your eyes open and accept that human nature is brutal
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited November 2011
    In the seventeenth chapter of Saint Luke it is written "the kingdom of God is within man” – not one man, nor a group of men – but in all men – in you, the people.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited November 2011
    ...live it as you can bear - understand that you could be mugged and stabbed by a random stranger who you have showed 'love' to -this is 2011 - walk with your eyes open and accept that human nature is brutal
    This man who mugged you is suffering, just as you and I do in daily life. He has become conditioned, by nature, by his upbringing, by his current situation, to mug you. He is filled with as much sadness and sorrow as anybody else, whether or not he himself knows it. We are all in this together. True, I would harbor resentment towards this man - but that is because I am an unskillful human being. This is not the right thing to do.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Just because a book said a deity said the "He is Love" does not mean it's a fact. That same book shown god to be a jealous genocidal maniac.

BB
    The Bible also says that we are created in his image. God is also wrath, and inherently by that statement every other emotion that we yield, ie. jealousy. He is a jealous God.

To answer your question, in my humble opinion, I would say yes; to find the strength to show compassion for all of those who hurt us.

Is that not what Jesus demonstrated?

"Forgive them father for they know not what they do"?

Could you have it within yourself to forgive a murderer who killed your son? Even if that murderer wasn't sorry?
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited November 2011
    edit