Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If God doesn't exist...

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited August 2011 in Faith & Religion

God isgreat and so on.. "So then I think it's evident then that if God exists, we have a foundation for moral values and duties. Secondly I argued that if God does not exist, we have no foundation for objective moral values or objective moral duties."

Just a thought it sounds like in his mind belief transforms reality.

It was sort of amusing that I don't think Sam tackled the argument head on.

Anways, just wanted to ask what your thoughts are about it. You know, if you disagree, why or visa versa, or what you'd say to him.

Or whta you think the Buddha would say.

good night all.

Comments

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Or maybe you think I or some misunderstand the argument and would like to share about that

It's very late! Just thought it was an argument that I am sure a few (and there are few) Christian friends would sort of get behind or something like that.

It's very late, hard to communicate!! lol

good night.
  • Nigh night shanyin - sweet dreams
  • The problem with the whole "God defines the moral rules" debate is the book of Job in the Bible did it a whole lot better, and came to the conclusion that if a creator God does exist, then there is no such thing as morality. There would only be God's will, however cruel and sadistic that might be by moral standards.

Yeah, I participated in a debate on the subject at the University of Tampa one year.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him".
    I think that easy-peasy Voltage, but Please correct me if I'm wrong....
    He likewise said that
    "it should be no more surprising to be born twice than it is to be born once."
  • His tie is way toooooo wide to watch him talk for that long ... sorry.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    So the video is god=morales...No god=no morales ?

That would be no suprise coming from someone who invests their faith in god as the law giver. People with more wisdom realize however that morales come through the force of empathatic reasoning and to those who observe more closely the nature of phenomena extra weight is added to this by actions and their effects so as to create a structure of right though, speech and deed.
    "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him".
    I think that easy-peasy Voltage, but Please correct me if I'm wrong....
    He likewise said that
    "it should be no more surprising to be born twice than it is to be born once."
    someone said that in the debate?

• or...

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Good thread.
    Interesting stuff.
    If you want a kick start at 1:50
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited August 2011
    I'm sorry, but I couldn't sit through more than the first fifteen minutes of the first guy's argument without gritting my teeth over the pure sophistry being spewed.

He says if God exists, then that is an objective foundation for moral values. No. If God exists, that places all moral values as entirely subjective on whatever behavior the God demands. In fact, it is the exact opposite of an objective moral value system.

I had to finally turn the sound off when he mentions the genital mutilation of girls as obviously objectively wrong in any situation, whether or not God exists, completely oblivious to the irony of the Bible God demanding genital mutilation of boys in the name of God. The man uses the Jewish Holocaust as an example of an objective moral evil by any standard, God or not, when the Bible again has examples of God ordering entire cities to be slaughtered, man, woman, child, babies, and even livestock, and it was considered not only moral, but failing to kill those innocent babies was disobeying God and punished.

Because if God's will is the measure of morality, then all morality can be summed up as: obey God's commands, no matter how cruel. In fact, God will command you to do cruel things just to test your obedience, if history is any indication.

Reality: Using God as a moral compass means immoral is disobeying God, no matter how cruel and terrible the commands might be. Again, all you have to do is look at history and even what's happening today in the world. Whatever imaginary world this man lives in, it certainly fails the test of reality. His blindness to the faults in his own logic is breathtaking.

He goes on to claim that using God as a reference point for morality makes morality independent of human beings, but that's also patent nonsense. Whose God, and which Prophet should the world use as the reference point? If two cultures claim to know God's will, who gets to decide which set of moral laws is the real one? All it does is give human beings an excuse to ignore objective morality that uses yardsticks like kindness and helping each other in favor of obeying a hidden God's commands. That's hardly making morality independent of human beings.

Anyway, I'll try to sit through the rest of it, but no promises.
    You'll get more nonsense if you listen to Craig but I like to listen to Sam Harris very much you may enjoy it as well.

Whoops I meant to say start at

1:50:00
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    "A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses, it is an idea that possesses the mind."

Food for thought.