Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What I see

NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
edited September 2011 in Meditation
I experienced some things during meditation that raised questions inside my head. I don't know if I just focused a lot, or if I attained that stillness of the mind but, during some of my sessions I feel, at some point that I'm in the middle of a balloon filled with and my focus , or I don't know, just goes from the center to the edge of the balloon. Mentally speaking, I feel like I reach some kind of wall and out of two reasons I wake up and stop the session. First reason is a sentiment of fear. I feel like either I'm smashed by that wall, either it is so still, so empty and so dark that I panic and wake up. The other reason is physical ( bodily). My mimic muscles form my forehead to temples and under my eyes (orbicular muscles) contract and relax at such a speed and intensity, that it causes pain in the eye-balls, and I have to quit.

Does anyone know if this thing is another stage of concentration, or just a trick my mind plays out of boredom ?

Comments

• NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Ok, so this has no answers...should I call the mods to close this thread down ?
  • My take is that you're thinking about it too much. Just let it pass and keep meditating...
    Ok, then, close it !
  • Sorry...I got no answer for you...I haven't had any experience like yours...
    Well, no problem. I'll just follow what Mountains said.
  • Early on in meditating I had a similar(ish) experience where I kind of 'imagined' there was a big ball of golden light in front of me and that I was kind of pushing my way in. It felt almost blissful, and had I been able to get deeper into the ball (or maybe deeper into meditation) I would feel pure bliss. Unfortunately I tried to go deeper into meditation, and it all went.

Shame, nice experience, but means nothing I think. It was good for my motivation, but nothing like it has happened apart from one morning when I went downstairs to smoke, I don't think I was thinking of anything, and everything just looked wonderful; I felt wonderful - not ecstatic - but deeply peaceful. It only lasted a few seconds. I hadn't not long stopped drinking; I'm a recovered alcoholic, and I think I had inhaled a few puffs of my cigarette; so maybe that had something to do with it?

But since then; two years of meditating later; zilch!

Oh, apart from an enjoyable insight to the emptiness of self while doing an analytical meditation on the five aggregates; but that was funny; I laughed when I couldn't find myself.

@Tosh

My experience didn't involve any bliss or sight. It was pure dark and void "place" to wander. But I guess that the mind plays different tricks for every person.

It's good that this experience changed something, meaning that you felt different at that moment. For me this exp. didn't change much. Only raised some questions.
    Cigarettes don't really have that effect. Don't know.

What are the five aggregates ?