Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Buddhism Compatible With Other Religions?

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited September 2011 in Faith & Religion
Can Buddhism be successfully compatible with another philosophy/belief system other than itself.

By successfully, I mean: can enlightenment be achieved?

Comments

• If you hugely materialised the interests on external decorations, all philosophy / belief systems contradicts one another and the system of love & harmony suffer illness.
  • Can Enlightenment be achieved if what? If instead of focusing singlemindedly on Buddhist practice, you allow some distractions from other traditions to enter in? I'd say "no". But not everyone is after Enlightenment in this lifetime. If people are content to take their time about it, practice the precepts, observe the 4 Nobles and the 8fold path, compassion and mindfulness, I'd say it wouldn't hurt anything to add a little flavoring from another tradition, if it doesn't conflict with Buddhism. I also suspect that adding belief in a Supreme Being wouldn't affect one's progress toward Enlightenment, because it's not relevant to the cessation of suffering, to the practice of compassion, and so forth.
  • It's better to stick to one thing - Buddhism, IMO, would be the best - but that's up to the individual concerned.
  • This is a very individual decision. There are lots of people who practice Buddhism who maintain ties to and beliefs from other religious traditions. Is it compatible? That's a question only they can answer. Unlike some other religions, Buddhism (which IMHO isn't really a religion anyway) doesn't prohibit belief in or practice of other faiths.

But I agree with the above that holding on (clinging) to other traditions probably impedes one's progress toward enlightenment. But if it works for you, then by all means have at it.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    @MindGate
    I think as long as one follows the Noble Eightfold Path rightly, awakening should occur regardless of other beliefs from other religions (or any individual beliefs, for that matter). The reason for that is that the Noble Eightfold Path is meant to be a practice of morality, concentration and the cultivation of wisdom that introduces us to our true nature despite our beliefs. That is the very point of following it, and we all come to it with varied beliefs/views already in place.

So yes, they should be compatible, given following the Path. One could also just mix religions to believe things that make them happy and not follow the Path, and that's okay too, but that methodology would not lead to enlightenment IMHO. There should be a practice that cultivates insight and non-clinging... (as far as I know only forms of Buddhism offer such a path, but we should not cling to it even then, we should hold the path with wisdom as a tool).
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Can Enlightenment be achieved if what? If instead of focusing singlemindedly on Buddhist practice, you allow some distractions from other traditions to enter in? I'd say "no". But not everyone is after Enlightenment in this lifetime. If people are content to take their time about it, practice the precepts, observe the 4 Nobles and the 8fold path, compassion and mindfulness, I'd say it wouldn't hurt anything to add a little flavoring from another tradition, if it doesn't conflict with Buddhism. I also suspect that adding belief in a Supreme Being wouldn't affect one's progress toward Enlightenment, because it's not relevant to the cessation of suffering, to the practice of compassion, and so forth.
    Belief in a creating supreme being would be another form of ignorance to be wiped away. :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2011
  • The Buddha believed in the Hindu gods. I don't know if there is a Supreme Being involved in that, but there was a suttric quote on this forum once, in which he credited his Enlightenment to effort and the grace of the gods. I think it's a matter of individual opinion as to whether belief in a creator would be a form of ignorance to be wiped away, or not. I don't see that it would interfere with working toward the cessation of suffering.
  • The Buddha believed in the Hindu gods. I don't know if there is a Supreme Being involved in that, but there was a suttric quote on this forum once, in which he credited his Enlightenment to effort and the grace of the gods. I think it's a matter of individual opinion as to whether belief in a creator would be a form of ignorance to be wiped away, or not. I don't see that it would interfere with working toward the cessation of suffering.
    Could you expand on this - since it's interesting? Because I thought one can become liberated only through one's own efforts and gods, even if they're real and more powerful, can do nothing for us?
  • I do not know fully about liberation as many religions have a notion of attachment, the buddha taught his way to libertion, maybe their are others, who knows.
    BUT, all religions have the ability to create positivity within this world and witthin human beings.
  • Can Buddhism be successfully compatible with another philosophy/belief system other than itself.

Well, there's no need to quess. We have thousands of years of history to examine as Buddhism spread into other cultures and encountered other belief systems. The people who ended up calling themselves Buddhists in those other cultures certainly incorporated some elements of existing beliefs and philosophies. After all, people didn't come to Buddhism as blank slates, but brought along much of what they had learned before that.

Buddhism in China found Taoists and Confusionism. Confusionism being a philosophy of traditional worship and not self discovery, their followers fought against Buddhism just about everywhere in the East. But, some Taoists embraced Buddhism and incorporated their Taoist philosophy into the practice to create Chan, later to become Zen.

And in Tibet, Buddhism and the native Bon religion formed an even stranger marriage. This resulted in a truly unique blend of mystical diety worship and tantric ritual that is as beautiful as it is confusing to the outsider.

Also, since Buddhism is not an exclusive religion, meaning we don't claim we're the chosen people of God or whatever, people tend to practice Buddhism along with other native religions.

Now, can one practice successfully if you incorporate other beliefs into your practice? Again history says yes, because that describes most practices today. I suppose it does require the other beliefs not conflicting with the 8-fold path. And really, most other religions hold living a moral, honest, compassionate life in high regard, even if they sometimes fall short of the reality.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Can Buddhism be successfully compatible with another philosophy/belief system other than itself.

To a certain extent, I would say yes. The core practice itself (i.e., the noble eightfold path) can be developed within almost any cultural/religious context. I think @Cloud summed it up well when he said:
    @MindGate
    I think as long as one follows the Noble Eightfold Path rightly, awakening should occur regardless of other beliefs from other religions (or any individual beliefs, for that matter). The reason for that is that the Noble Eightfold Path is meant to be a practice of morality, concentration and the cultivation of wisdom that introduces us to our true nature despite our beliefs. That is the very point of following it, and we all come to it with varied beliefs/views already in place.

So yes, they should be compatible, given following the Path. One could also just mix religions to believe things that make them happy and not follow the Path, and that's okay too, but that methodology would not lead to enlightenment IMHO. There should be a practice that cultivates insight and non-clinging... (as far as I know only forms of Buddhism offer such a path, but we should not cling to it even then, we should hold the path with wisdom as a tool).
    There are limits, of course.
  • @betaboy It's possible saying that it was partly due to the grace of the gods was the Buddha's way of being humble. I can't provide a suttric reference for that, it wasn't a teaching, it was a comment he made to a disciple who asked about how the Buddha succeeded in the difficult path to Enlightenment.

I think, looking at the OP question objectively, that there's no conflict in, for example, believing in a creator, and practicing techniques to end attachment and suffering. The two aren't even related. It doesn't necessarily mean you rely on the help of the god/s to speed you on your path; faith in the Dharma and its methods is the key to progress on the path. But those who feel the world (and the many realms that the Buddha taught about) was created by a divine agent aren't hindering their practice in any way, as far as I can see. The Buddha didn't address the question of whether or not there was a god or gods because he felt it wasn't relevant to his methodology for the cessation of suffering and the attainment of Enlightenment. So, one could construe that to mean that belief in any diety or dieties was "optional". ;) Just my take, after reflecting on this OP and similar threads.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited September 2011
    @Dakina
    @Cloud

Well, in the Eightfold Path there is "Right View." So, wouldn't beliefs (or lack of) be important to achieve Buddhahood?
  • @Dakina
    @Cloud

Well, in the Eightfold Path there is "Right View." So, wouldn't beliefs (or lack of) be important to achieve Buddhahood?
    "Right view" applies, AFAIK, to the view of the Buddha's teachings. He didn't teach for or against belief in any diety/dieties. idk. Good discussion question, though. :)
    edited September 2011
    @Dakina
    @Cloud

"Right view" applies, AFAIK, to the view of the Buddha's teachings. He didn't teach for or against belief in any diety/dieties. idk. Good discussion question, though. :)
    We are supposed to believe that everything is conditioned, right (as taught by emptiness)? So, would it not be against the Buddha's teachings to believe in a non-conditioned Supreme God?

• We are supposed to believe that everything is conditioned, right (as taught by emptiness)? So, would it not be against the Buddha's teachings to believe in a non-conditioned Supreme God?
    ooooohhh, getting serious! I'm bowing out, because I'm not qualified to answer that question.

We are supposed to believe that everything is conditioned, right (as taught by emptiness)? So, would it not be against the Buddha's teachings to believe in a non-conditioned Supreme God?
    ooooohhh, getting serious! I'm bowing out, because I'm not qualified to answer that question.
    :p
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited September 2011
    There are a couple of things I think we have to be careful of here.

First, Mindgate, I think you are once again going down...well, a parallel path to the path you went down just a couple of days ago. Slightly more gently this time, but you're very close to, again, telling people what they must believe.

Second, I think sometimes it would be useful to us to sit back and think how an "outsider" (non-Buddhist) would look at some of the threads in this forum. I have to tell you that there are times that rants begin to sound like just the other side of the coin of Christian fundamentalism.

And third, we often speak of Buddha as being perfect, infallible, all-seeing and all-knowing, and something way above human...nearly magical. Sound like any other historical figure?

And I think this goes back to what we see Buddhism as -- a philosophy or as a religion. Clearly on this forum, Buddhism is generally seen as a religion. And, that's okay...in fact, in terms of a continuum, I see it further along the spectrum on the religion end than toward the philosophical end.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2011
    @Dakina
    @Cloud

Sure, but right view (especially supramundane right view) is very specific and doesn't deal with metaphysics, it deals with differentiating between wholesome and unwholesome actions and understanding suffering, the origin of suffering, the cessation of suffering and the way leading to the cessation of suffering (MN 9).

A belief in a creator god or lack thereof is irrelevant to this; although a belief in one can negatively affect the practice if it leads to the belief that everything a person experiences is due to such a supreme being and, consequently, a denial of the efficacy of kamma (literally 'action') and a life of inaction (AN 3.61). Beyond that, Buddhism doesn't really ask one to adopt much in the way of 'views' as insight will naturally develop as one's practice matures (MN 107).
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited September 2011
    HHDL likes to divide Buddhism into 3 parts, buddhist science, buddhist philosophy, and buddhist religion. Science is mainly stuff found in Abhidharma, categories of mental states, emotions, etc. Philosophy is impermanence, dependent origination, stuff like that. Religion is karma, nirvana, rebirth, etc. The science part isn't dogma and is open to any religion or modern science that wants to investigate. Philosophy can run into conflicts like DO vs. an eternal creator but isn't dogma so is open for anyone to investigate. The religion part really isn't very compatible at all with the teachings of other religions, though individual people are free to pick and choose as they wish.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    HHDL likes to divide Buddhism into 3 parts, buddhist science, buddhist philosophy, and buddhist religion. Science is mainly stuff found in Abhidharma, categories of mental states, emotions, etc. Philosophy is impermanence, dependent origination, stuff like that. Religion is karma, nirvana, rebirth, etc. The science part isn't dogma and is open to any religion or modern science that wants to investigate. Philosophy can run into conflicts like DO vs. an eternal creator but isn't dogma so is open for anyone to investigate. The religion part really isn't very compatible at all with the teachings of other religions, though individual people are free to pick and choose as they wish.
    Very helpful post!

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited September 2011

Imo, not really

Buddhism offers many practical skilful means & knowledges that those of other religions can certainly use to benefit their lives

But to gain full enlightenment means the mind must realise all things without exception are simply natural elements (dhamma dhatu) and devoid of 'self'

In such enlightenment, there is not place for the notion of 'God' or a 'person' that is saved

Regards :)

edited September 2011
    There are a couple of things I think we have to be careful of here.

First, Mindgate, I think you are once again going down...well, a parallel path to the path you went down just a couple of days ago. Slightly more gently this time, but you're very close to, again, telling people what they must believe.
    This time, my friend, you are the one judging. I'm acting with skepticism, an objectiveness. I never said yes or no to anything. Just because I'm not acting like "oooh, everythingz alll goood" doesn't mean I'm imposing my opinion or being rude or anything. I'm just merely being objective. I ask kindly of you to stop any further criticisms of my posts as this may lead to further arguments. If you see something wrong, contact a mod. Thank you.
  • @person What part is the religion part?

General comment: Mindgate is trying to clarify a question here. I think this is a good topic. I especially like his question about whether belief in any deity conflicts with teachings about emptiness and dependent-arising. That's a very perceptive and sophisticated question. Jason's response echos my own posts, so I agree completely, but it doesn't address this latest, more refined question of MG's.
    @person What part is the religion part?
    Are you looking for more clarification or did it just get lost in the pile of text (I didn't space my post very well)? The religion part are things like karma, rebirth, nirvana, etc. I don't think there's any particular list that delineates all the categories its just something HHDL talks about in general.
    edited September 2011
    @person

I don't see how Nirvana is a "religious" thing. Or even karma, for that matter. Its not dogmatic (well, it depends on your thoughts on what each thing means). Would you please explain further?
  • Thanks, person. I read your post a couple of times, looking for a description of the "religion part", and didn't find one. This latest post does clarify. The whole thing is an interesting analysis by the DL. I would say that karma and rebirth are compatible with Christianity in its early phase. Rebirth/reincarnation was part of Christian belief, and I'm told it still is part of the belief system of a certain Jewish sect.

"Philosophy can run into conflicts like DO vs. an eternal creator, but isn't dogma so is open for anyone to investigate."

I've pulled up a chair and have a ringside seat for this investigation. ;)
    Gnostic Christians, from my knowledge, believe in reincarnation. At least the sect I grew into as a kid.
  • Yeah, that's because the Gnostics weren't affected by the Church's decision to drop the belief in reincarnation. I forgot there are modern Gnostic groups.
    @person

I don't see how Nirvana is a "religious" thing. Or even karma, for that matter. Its not dogmatic (well, it depends on your thoughts on what each thing means). Would you please explain further?
    Well, this isn't my idea and I'm just passing it on since it made sense to me. I think they get classified into the religious part because they require some kind of metaphysical stance about the nature of reality that isn't a part of common understanding. I guess one could make a reasoned argument as to why they may exist but I think you'd have to go much further onto a limb than concepts in the other categories.
    @person

Well, this isn't my idea and I'm just passing it on since it made sense to me. I think they get classified into the religious part because they require some kind of metaphysical stance about the nature of reality that isn't a part of common understanding. I guess one could make a reasoned argument as to why they may exist but I think you'd have to go much further onto a limb than concepts in the other categories.
    Rebirth is metaphysical, but not karma or Nirvana. Nirvana I'm pretty sure is the state of being enlightened. Karma is cause and effect. Both things can and do exist. Cause and effect is a law of nature. Enlightenment is being fr
  • It's better to stick to one thing - Buddhism, IMO, would be the best - but that's up to the individual concerned.
    But I thought you followed, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam and Christianity? http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/12134/i-follow-islam-hinduism-christianity-and-buddhism/p1

In answer to MindGate's original question - yes, probably. What were you thinking of combining it with?
    The Buddha believed in the Hindu gods. I don't know if there is a Supreme Being involved in that, but there was a suttric quote on this forum once, in which he credited his Enlightenment to effort and the grace of the gods. I think it's a matter of individual opinion as to whether belief in a creator would be a form of ignorance to be wiped away, or not. I don't see that it would interfere with working toward the cessation of suffering.
    Yes he certainly believed in them his clairvoyence enabled him to see gods and other beings unseen by ordinary eyes. While He received help and protection from them he also went to teach them knowing that they are as bound to samsara as we humans are although long lived they will suffer greater as they burn away their good fortune and eventually fall into lower realms. With a purified mind and various abilities of foresight Buddha saw there was no creator the God Brahma whom claimed lordship over creation was non other then the first being to be born into his heavenly realm and such gave him the illusion of being a creator of the subsequent beings who where reborn there.

Belief in a creator god is a fetter of the mind to be wiped away as it is contrary to teachings gained from wisdom and insight, It is an obstruction in the mind that clings to a false idea of existence which gives rise to other delusions that bind us strongly to samsara.

• Wait, let me get this straight. Belief in a creator god is a fetter, but belief in lesser gods isn't, because the lesser gods can come and go, depending on merit, into other realms? But the Hindu gods weren't "mobile" like that, AFAIK, they didn't change status, from gods to humans, to Buddhas or hungry ghosts, etc. :scratch: Vishnu and Shakti, for example, maintained their status. I understand what you're saying (thanks for the review), but I need further explanation.

Remember the 6 realms of rebirth Dakini. The gods who occupy these realms are as subject to impermenence as you or I but a lot longer lived. Eventually they die and take rebirth again.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Have confidence that no matter what your beliefs are, if you choose to put real effort into walking the Noble Eightfold Path to end suffering, those beliefs which are harmful will dissolve on their own. There's no requirement to try and force yourself to abandon your beliefs... clear seeing of reality will show you what you need to see to end suffering (the mind will release wrong view as a natural part of this process of clear seeing).

Many beliefs are layered on top of the "self". When one belief begins to be shown as false, connected beliefs generally follow in their own way. This is why we try to understand such concepts as Not-Self and Emptiness, and to see the kind of reality that must be beyond thought.
  • Wow! Nice discussion guys :)
    Wait, let me get this straight. Belief in a creator god is a fetter, but belief in lesser gods isn't, because the lesser gods can come and go, depending on merit, into other realms?
    Thats what I was thinking.
    Wait, let me get this straight. Belief in a creator god is a fetter, but belief in lesser gods isn't, because the lesser gods can come and go, depending on merit, into other realms?
    </blockquote

Well thats the nature of Samsara birth, death and impermenence. A creator god would not fit into the picture at all.

Yet, if I were to say that, everyone would jump me.
  • Wait, let me get this straight. Belief in a creator god is a fetter, but belief in lesser gods isn't, because the lesser gods can come and go, depending on merit, into other realms?
    But only with kindness, Mindgate. Only with kindness.
  • IMHO - Buddhism is somewhat compatible with other religions.

The Buddha's teachings are about suffering and ending suffering by seeing through the self delusions of the mind to the very nature of reality. Beliefs are irrelevant unless or until they become a hindrance to this process of awakening.

So for example a fundamentalist Christian may believe in both a permanent self and a vengeful god that punishes them after death if they break the rules or question the dogma. This belief creates fear that results in suffering and therefore is not compatible with Buddhism.
  • The idea of God as a static Being who judges our sins and determines our afterlife would contradict the idea of emptiness and the cycle of dharmachakra or wheel of transformation, would it not?
    I always get the impression that it our own actions and thoughts that turn the wheel, almost like a second by second chemical process that we fuel
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    @grout4cake
    The important thing is... it doesn't matter if you (currently) have that belief. Some people do, but they can still walk the Noble Eightfold Path. Clear seeing of reality through purifying your karma and meditating will lead to wisdom of reality as it is. If that belief is incompatible with the truth, the truth will win out with direct seeing. It's no obstacle to being a Buddhist to believe in a God or gods.

Saying that it's contradictory or illogical would never work to disavow someone of such a belief, since beliefs usually aren't based on logic/reason to begin with, and Buddhists have a wide variety of individual beliefs and are no less Buddhist for them (the effort is to see reality, we don't begin with right view)... so it wouldn't be helpful in any way for us to judge anyone based on such beliefs. In fact people who do believe would be offended and react badly, and so it would be unskillful/harmful to say. That happens often enough here, but we should try to restrain ourselves.

Belief in a creator is far less of a destructive influence than belief in a self, and belief in a self is something we all have (until enlightenment). At some level we think there is a separate and/or unchanging and/or permanent "I"... the least subtle view of this is the "soul" that is unique and eternal, but some form of it exists within each of our minds. Until we can become free of the delusion of self, many other views that are connected to this self-view will remain.
  • Yet, if I were to say that, everyone would jump me.
    What you send out, you receive back...
  • @caznamyaw Clarify one thing for me, please. Do we know which gods the Buddha was speaking about, when he credited his enlightenment to their help? Was he talking about the lesser gods who are subject to rebirth in different realms, or was he speaking about Shiva, Shakti, Brahma, etc.? Do we know which ones he believed in? That seems important to this discussion. The Buddha reached Enlightenment in spite of believing in gods. Do the suttras offer a basis for us to know which category of gods the Buddha believed in?

Cloud's argument makes sense--that you can still practice the Dharma and make progress on the path, whether we believe in a creator or not. But there's still the issue of a permanent creator god conflicting with belief in the impermanence of everything. But maybe that's more of a problem on the theoretical level than the practical. It also depends on what characteristics you attribute to the creator god, as has been noted by SeaofTranquility, Jason, and others.
    edited September 2011
    What you send out, you receive back...
    Alright.
    edited September 2011
    I don't see a god, in the sense that Deists believe, being a hindrance, but believing in an omnipotent, supreme controlling god (like the ones of Islam and Christianity) probably will be. As I see it: a creator god is okay, as long as he doesn't run the joint.
    @caznamyaw Clarify one thing for me, please. Do we know which gods the Buddha was speaking about, when he credited his enlightenment to their help? Was he talking about the lesser gods who are subject to rebirth in different realms, or was he speaking about Shiva, Shakti, Brahma, etc.? Do we know which ones he believed in? That seems important to this discussion. The Buddha reached Enlightenment in spite of believing in gods. Do the suttras offer a basis for us to know which category of gods the Buddha believed in?

Cloud's argument makes sense--that you can still practice the Dharma and make progress on the path, whether we believe in a creator or not. But there's still the issue of a permanent creator god conflicting with belief in the impermanence of everything. But maybe that's more of a problem on the theoretical level than the practical. It also depends on what characteristics you attribute to the creator god, as has been noted by SeaofTranquility, Jason, and others.
    There are many recorded references in the Sutra's however its diffcult to pluck them from memory but on reading they are there, Mainly discriptions in detail of various realms and beings will be found in the Abhidharma scriptures. As far as I remember Names such as Brahma, Agni, Indra, Shakti, and Vayu pop up but these are considered as non other then worldly gods as all gods are trapped within Samsara there is not one whom is not subject to death and rebirth, Indra is ment to be a title of a ruler of a particular god realm and as such is passed down. Buddha effectively ruled out a creator god with his teachings not however worldly god and various other existences within Samsara there is a big difference between one whom becomes a god through the force of their virtue and a non existent creator of all things miserable and destructive aka Samsara so Buddha certainly is not effected by the fetter of incorrect view that would obscure the mind from seeing clearly.

Clouds arguement works up to a point eventually views of the self will have to be abandoned to make progress in clearing away the non virtues, delusions and deluded imprints within the mind. In order for one to apprehend clearly why ever would one cling to the notion of a permenent fixture that had created Samsara for its own entertainment and ego worship, Such and the rest is an obscuring view that creates self grasping and incorrect view of phenomena that help give rise to the Samsara we experience today at some point it will have to be abandoned for one to reach Nivarna let alone full enlightenment. :)