Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Magha Puja: My unexpected experience.

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited February 2006 in Sanghas
All,

I was not originally going to celebrate Magha Puja [the full-moon night of Feburary in which 1,250 arahants spontaneoulsy gathered at Veruvana Temple, Rajgarh city] this year. I am not very big on "holidays", but I was definitely in for a pleasant surprise this time. I originally went to Wat Buddhanusorn on Sunday to simply visit my teacher Ajahn Prasert, but I ended up celebrating Magha Puja there as well. It was a very nice day. The sun was out, there were a lot of nice people there, and they had traditional Thai music and dancing along with the ceremony. I was also happy to be able to talk with my friend Phra Mike [who has recently been in Thailand] for a long time, as well as few others who I had the pleasure of spending the year-end retreat with. As if that wasn't nice enough, however, I was invited to go to Abhayagiri the next day with Ayya Tathaaloka.

So, yesterday, we drove to Abhayagiri and celebrated Magha Puja there. That was the first time that I had ever seen Ajahn Amaro in person. It was a wonderful experience [for me, it was like seeing a celebrity]. It was such a joy to hear one of his talks in person. My meditation was also unbelievably focused. I came as close as I have ever come to one-pointedness of mind. I think that the reason for this was my extraordinary level of inspiration. Not only did I get the meet one of the world's greatest teachers [in my opinion of course], but I also had the good fortune to meditate in the presence of relics from Ajahn Mun and Ajahn Sao. Instead of my normal anapanasati meditation, I began to mentally repeat "Buddho" over and over again. Since I knew that this was one of Ajahn Mun's methods of meditation, I felt it appropriate to give it try...

I will admit that I have never had much success with this particular method because my mind often wanders away from the meditation object quite easily, however, last night I was able to keep my awareness right there. Nothing could distract me. If any thoughts or feelings arose, I would simply dismiss them with my ever-watchful mindfulness [which is usually never-watchful]. This continued until almost everything else faded away. There was only the awareness of "Buddho" and the sensation of whatever it was that was consciously repeating "Buddho". If I had been allowed to continue this undisturbed, I am positive that I would have had complete one-pointedness of mind. But, as my luck often has it, a person nearby had to sneeze. It was pretty loud since the room was very small, and I was just aware of my surrounding enough to become startled by it. Even so, I still felt very happy because I now knew that it was possible.

I felt so at home there. I am glad that I got the chance to go. The whole night felt very auspicious to me. I wish that it was not so far away, because regular visits are not in any way convenient. I will tell you the truth, I have never really cared too much about "relics" or the superficial practices of Buddhism [such as Pujas], but I now understand how powerful they can be--if just for the added inspiration and psychological enhancement of the experience alone. It was truly amazing, and spiritually inspiring. You simply cannot help but want to practice when you are around such dedicated members of the Sangha. Once again, my appreciation for the Noble community has blossomed, and I am deeply appreciative of the very importance place that they hold.

Buddham saranam gacchami.
Dhammam saranam gacchami.
Sangham saranam gacchami.

Dutiyampi Buddham Saranam gacchami.
Dutiyampi Dhammam Saranam gacchami.
Dutiyampi Sangham Saranam gacchami.

Tatiyampi Buddham Saranam gacchami.
Tatiyampi Dhammam Saranam gacchami.
Tatiyampi Sangham Saranam gacchami.

_/|\_

Jason

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2006
    All,

These are the verses (gatha) that the Buddha spoke to the 1250 arahants who had gathered on this occasion:
    Ovaada-paa.timokkha Gaathaa

Khantii parama.m tapo tiitikkhaa
    Nibbaana.m parama.m vadanti buddhaa,
    Na hi pabbajito paruupaghaatii
    Sama.no hoti para.m vihe.thayanto

Patient forbearance is the foremost austerity.
    Liberation is foremost: that's what the Buddhas say.
    He is no monk who injures another;
    nor a contemplative, he who mistreats another.

Sabba-paapassa akara.na.m,
    Kusalassuupasampadaa,
    Sacitta-pariyodapana.m:
    Eta.m buddhaana-saasana.m.

The non-doing of any evil,
    The performance of what's skillful,
    The cleansing of one's own mind:
    This is the Buddhas' teaching.

Anuupavaado anuupaghaato
    Paa.timokkhe ca sa.mvaro
    Mattaññutaa ca bhattasmi.m
    Pantañca sayan'aasana.m.
    Adhicitte ca aayogo:
    Eta.m buddhaana-saasananti.

Not disparaging, not injuring,
    Restraint in line with the monastic code,
    Moderation in food,
    Dwelling in seclusion,
    Commitment to the heightened mind:
    This is the Buddhas' teaching.

_/|\_

Jason
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Elohim, that was wonderful, and I am not only thrilled that you had such a wonderful and fulfilling experience, but it's lovely that you decided to share it with us....

Just one question...
    I know that at the end of post #1, you are taking refuge in the triple gem...But could you explain to me please the significance of : -

Dutiyampi.....?

Tatiyampi....?

is it "you" and "we all"....?

thank you for this.

Really lovely.
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    Elohim, that was wonderful, and I am not only thrilled that you had such a wonderful and fulfilling experience, but it's lovely that you decided to share it with us....

Just one question...
    I know that at the end of post #1, you are taking refuge in the triple gem...But could you explain to me please the significance of : -

Dutiyampi.....?

Tatiyampi....?

is it "you" and "we all"....?

thank you for this.

Really lovely.

Dear Federica

Dutiyampi means (for the second time)

Tatiyampi means (for the thirt time)

As a side note, these prayers are recited by people in my country :) so its kind of a shock to see them here :) a nice shock that is.. its part of the prayers children recite at school everyday where I am...

EDIT: Apologies for chiming in, that question wasnt aimed at me... sorry couldnt resist chiming in :O
  • edited February 2006
    By the way...

Buddham saranam gacchami. .. means (I take refuge in the Buddha)
    Dhammam saranam gacchami. (.....I take refuge in the Dhamma)
    Sangham saranam gacchami.( ... I take refuge in the Sangha)

Saranam = (refuge)
    Gacchami = (I take..)
  • edited February 2006
    Sabba-paapassa akara.na.m,
    Kusalassuupasampadaa,
    Sacitta-pariyodapana.m:
    Eta.m buddhaana-saasana.m.

I love this prayer.. I used to hear it almost daily here (priests where I live tend to close sermons with it)

Hearing the language is always a marvel to me as Pali is close to my parents native language and a lot of the words are interchangeable.. so when I hear some of these prayers its like I understand them directly.. which is beautiful..

For example, the words I THINK I understand in the above prayer...

Sabba-paapassa (paapa = sins) akara.na.m (refrain from),
    Kusalassuupasampadaa (Kusala = meritorious actions),
    Sacitta-pariyodapana.m:
    Eta.m buddhaana-saasana.m. (Etam = "those are")... Budhaana saasanam (advice of the Buddhas - I think it says Buddhas - plural - here)..

Pali (and Sanskrit) ... and to some extent Hindi/Urdu.. are such beautiful rich languages..
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    I have never really cared too much about "relics" or the superficial practices of Buddhism [such as Pujas], but I now understand how powerful they can be--if just for the added inspiration and psychological enhancement of the experience alone. It was truly amazing, and spiritually inspiring. You simply cannot help but want to practice when you are around such dedicated members of the Sangha. Once again, my appreciation for the Noble community has blossomed, and I am deeply appreciative of the very important place that they hold. (red italics mine)
    Thanks, Elohim, for sharing your puja experience with us. I've attended lots of Vedanta pujas, and have found them to be essential in many aspects, not least of which is to gather the community together.

My question to you: How is a traditional sangha held together without an occasional puja or religious ceremony?
    ---
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Nirvana,

Well, people do come and visit the temples all the time to donate their money, time, and food to the monastic community without there having to be any puja or religious ceremony going on. There wouldn't be a Sangha if people did not come. I mean, the monks must have their food donated to them by their lay-followers everyday, otherwise they will simply starve or disrobe [the Buddha was wise to have set it up this way]. You don't really need to have special days where you gather together [as you should be going there anyway], but I suppose that it is a nice thing to do. I don't have anything against the puja days myself [they do have very beautiful ceremonies], I have just never liked visiting when they are having one. It's usually a bunch of people [very nice people though] coming to donate money, and then talking for the rest of the evening [except not about Dhamma]. Nobody actually practices, which is why I don't care that much about attending them. However, at Abhayagiri it was nothing but practice. The whole day was focused on the internal "puja", and not just the external "puja" of giving gifts. People came just to sit in meditation all night long. That, in my opinion, is a very powerful and inspiring thing.

And the Blessed One spoke to the Venerable Ananda, saying: "Ananda, the twin sala trees are in full bloom, though it is not the season of flowering. And the blossoms rain upon the body of the Tathagata and drop and scatter and are strewn upon it in worship of the Tathagata. And celestial coral flowers and heavenly sandalwood powder from the sky rain down upon the body of the Tathagata, and drop and scatter and are strewn upon it in worship of the Tathagata. And the sound of heavenly voices and heavenly instruments makes music in the air out of reverence for the Tathagata.

"Yet it is not thus, Ananda, that the Tathagata is respected, venerated, esteemed, worshipped, and honored in the highest degree. But, Ananda, whatever bhikkhu or bhikkhuni, layman or laywoman, abides by the Dhamma, lives uprightly in the Dhamma, walks in the way of the Dhamma, it is by such a one that the Tathagata is respected, venerated, esteemed, worshipped, and honored in the highest degree. Therefore, Ananda, thus should you train yourselves: 'We shall abide by the Dhamma, live uprightly in the Dhamma, walk in the way of the Dhamma.'"

- DN 16

:)

Jason
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Wow, Jason. What an experience! Thanks for sharing it with us. It sounds lovely. I'm so glad for you. If I hadn't looked up "Buddhanusorn" and "Abhayagiri" I would have thought you were in Thailand! LOL!

Love,
    Brigid