Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Important is a Teacher....

13»

Comments

• not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited March 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Originally Posted by zenmonk_genryu
    And I look good in a little black see through number too.
    Now yer talkin', baby.

-bf

genryublack.gif

_/\_
    metta
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Now THAT'S scary.......!!:eekblue: :lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    OMG!!

L....M...A...O!!!
  • edited March 2006
    :hair: :buck: :eek2: :eek: :bigclap:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    I've always wanted a bench like that.....:grin:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Hey... baby. How you doing?

I haven't seen you around here before.

My name? Why would you want to know my name... unless you're planning on screaming it later on.

Do you have any Italian in you? No? Want some?

I heard the word of the day is "legs". Spread the word... hahahahahah. Oh, these are good times. Can I buy you a drink?

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    OMG!!! That is some funny stuff! ZM...I had no idea that you looked so hot in a little black see-through number. Nice boobies.
  • edited March 2006
    Thank you kindly.
  • edited March 2006
    Hello Sangha,
    I called and talked to Venerable Devananda at the temple today. He invited me to meditation next monday, and I'm going to go. His english isn't great, and my Pali is terrible but I think it'll be fine. I can't wait to find out. He seemed open and accepting. I'm just going to take ZMG's advice and be myself, and as mindfull as I can. I don't even know what wai or gassho is so maybe I'll learn as I go.
    Anyway I know I can always find Buddha Nature on this forum, you people are great. Thank you, and I'll keep you posted.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I'm so happy and excited for you, Simplelayperson!!!

Keep us posted.

Brigid
    edited March 2006
    "Wai" or Ghasso" is a form of greeting.... wai is a respectful Bow from the waist, and ghasso is the hands together gesture.... to go back, I think wai also involves the hands in this gesture, but with the fingertips at the nose.... in ghasso, the hands are usually at chest or heart height.....
    It's just a respectful way of telling the person you honour the sacred in them... But don't forget, it's in you too.....

Namaste is also a common greeting....

This may help.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namaste
  • edited March 2006
    Hello Brigid, and Federica,
    Thank you for the help and encouragement. It helps so much to come into contact with other people who believe in promoting positive Karma, and gaining merit.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Thanks, Jake.

I hadn't thought of it in that way before.
    I just care about you as a fellow human being and I want you to be happy and released from suffering. And it's always exciting when someone goes for their first temple visit. I haven't been to mine yet so I'm living vicariously through you. LOL!

Have a great time!!

Brigid

P.S. I love the name Jake.
  • edited March 2006
    Hello Friends,
    Dear Brigid this is for you.
    I went to meditation for the first time on the first day of spring, one of the two days a year all places on earth experience a 12 hour day. How apropriate. I wanted to post this sooner, but conditions did not allow. Since then I have received 4 e-mails from the Venerable Devananda inviting me to meditation tomarrow. Yes they were the same e-mail. You may think this shows Ven. Devananda is a new user, getting a dose of the concept we all know and love as "computer". I like to think he just really really wants me to come to meditation. I'm honored, and plan to attend.

I left plenty of time for travel and so arrived early, interrupting english class. I think Ven. Devananda left class a little early to come to the waiting area to sit and talk with me. His english is fine, we talked without too much trouble at all. I just dont think we'll be able to have any involved conversations about Buddhism any time soon. He loaned me some reading on rebirth, and gave me a CD of Buddhist chanting, and a booklet of devotional chantings in Pali they recite near the end of meditation. I intend to learn them so I can join in more. Only 3 regulars showed up, plus me, plus the english teacher, and a reporter from the local paper. The reporter is doing a feature on Buddhism, she told me there are 6 Buddhist Monasterys in Fort Wayne, and that they have the largest Burmese population in the country. I think I may have been the first to show up from having learned of the Temple from their web-site, and that the the Ven. Devananda and the english teacher were encouraged by this. I should mention that only one person was Buddhist, the rest just come for meditation and fellowship.

When it was time we went to the shrine room, and I made my first mistake. Believe it or not I'm shy, and nervous around strangers and in unfamiliar circumstances. So I sat along one wall out of the way. Well, I realized half way thru meditation I was not facing the alter and the larger than life statue of the Buddha they have. It was no big deal, the teachers and reporter did the same thing, but I think they did it on purpose. Next week I'm going to sit proudly facing the Buddha because I respect the Three Jewels so much already.

I'm sorry but I have to go for now, I'll finish later.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Jake,

How wonderful!! I'm so happy for you! And I think it was great that you went on the first day of spring. Talk about a new beginning!! It's sounds like you had a lovely time and the Venerable Devananda sounds very friendly and committed to give you such a warm welcome. You're story has just made my day. I'm smiling from ear to ear and can't wait to hear more. You also know how to tell a story very well, I was rapt. I hope my experience is as good as yours when I go. But then again I won't let myself get too attached to my expectations because that would be silly, wouldn't it? LOL!

Someday soon we'll be exchanging stories about our experiences in our respective places of Buddhist learning. Won't that be great? In the meantime I'll hear about yours. I'm all ears!!

Way to go, Jake!!

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Hello Friends,
    I'm getting a big dose of computer tonight. I just lost two hours of work when I tryed to post it. Then I tryed a shorter post and lost that too. I'm going to write the rest of the story off-line, and figure out how to copy it on-line so I don't loose my Buddhist cool and smash this dang cumputer. Here goes try #3.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Oh, I'm so sorry Jake. That's got to be one of the modern world's worst frustrations!! I'm glad you decided to type it offline first. I hope you don't have any more problems.

Brigid
    edited March 2006
    Jake... for things like that, I simply type them up as a word doc, then copy and paste into a reply box.

This may be completely redundant and immaterial when you read this, as you'll be coming back (presumably) to post your story....
    But hope it helps! !!
  • edited March 2006
    Hello Friends,
    I had hoped to continue the Monks' good deed by sharing. I will prevail!

Dear Federica, please tell me wordpad will work. Your Buddha nature shows, thanks.

Brigid, thanks for the compliment. I don't think you have too much to worry about over expectations, you know alot already. My first visit wasn't perfect, I'd like to tell you about it sometime. ha ha

I get early morning Buddhist inspiration e-mails from bighappybuddha.com, Here is a favorite:

You wont be punished for your anger, you'll be punished by your anger.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Hi, Jake.

Yes, wordpad will work fine. Any word processing program will work.
    So let us know the rest of the story whenever you have time.

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    now for the rest of the story,
    Once we we were all seated by Ven. Devananda, two more Monks came in. The Venerable Chandana, Ven. Devananda's assistant, and another Monk I did not get to meet. This third Monk wore burgundy robes unlike the Sri Lankan Monks who wore yellow. I gathered he was visiting. I don't think he spoke english, and he seemed tired. In fact he retired right after meditation. After the Monks paid their respects at the alter they sat behind a low table with a microphone. The Ven. Devananda annouced that the Ven. Chandana would lead us in meditation and that we would have the Metta meditation. Then he brought around a vase with flowers for each of us to touch with both hands. Then he brought around a plate with a lit candle for us to touch with both hands. He placed both on or at the alter, and joined the other Monks.( I didn't bring a tape recorder so some of this may be wrong or missing and or out of sequence.)

The Ven. Chandana began by reminding us to get comfortable, and be calm and let it fill the room. After a time he said in a chanting rhythm something like let your hearts fill with loving-kindness, let it fill the room and wish happiness and freedom from suffering for everyone in the room, may they be free of trouble, may they be free of anger, may they be free of greed, and so on and so on. I can't remember his exact words, but I do remember it was very inspiring. The Ven. Chandana spoke in that chanting voice 3 or 4 times, with periods of silent meditation in between, each time expanding our good thoughts untill by the end we were wishing good things for not just friends and family, but disagreeable people as well, and finally all sentient beings.

I think at this point Ven. Devananda struck a large singing bowl 3 times, but it may have been later. Next he unwound a string and we all passed it around so we were all holding the same string, Monks and laypeople, with both hands. The Monks began to chant, I think they said some blessings, and some devotional chantings all in Pali. Alot of the laypeople joined in at one point. I had my eyes closed for alot of this, but one time I glanced up and saw the Sri Lankan Monks fanning themselves vigorously, which made me wonder if it was ritual, or if they just get hot flashes like I do sometimes while meditating.

After the Ven. Devananda wound the string back around the spool he called us over one at a time to bless us. He wished us each good health and a long life, while tying a simple set of three strings around the right wrist. One yellow two white. I noticed the next day while removing it that he had tied a perfect square knot, with I think it's called a half-hitch to finish it off. Some people had one from before, he cut it off and put the new one on. I'm not allowed to wear any kind of jewlery at work so I had to remove mine in the morning and lost it. No big deal, next time I'll take it off at home.

Now a confession. I didn't wear a watch, as I said I'm conditioned not to do so. It was a long drive. I didn't want to be late so I didn't stop for a break. I thought I could make it thru, BIG mistake. About half my meditation went something like this; thereisnobladderthereisnobladderthereisnobladder.... what a goof I am. I completely forgot my friends at newbuddhist.com during meditation, my worst mistake of the evening. That wont happen again. I've been wishing you happiness and freedom from suffering each day since then.

I tried to make a break for it, but the Ven. Chandana met me upstairs and asked me to stay for tea. I said I'd like to but I had to GO! He showed me to the bathroom. I know, I know, next time I'll put vanity aside and just ask.

Feeling better, I returned to the shrine room where there was laughter. The Ven. Devananda had asked the english teacher to bring her camera. They were trying to take pictures in front of the alter, but the flash wouldn't work. Not to be denied, the Ven. Devananda went into a closet and came out with, no kidding, a full blown theatrical stage light. After he turned that thing on there was no flash needed. I know we'll all have huge smiles on our faces in the pictures because we were laughing about the light. It was fun, it really helped me feel at ease. As everyone went upstairs, I lagged behind to pay my respects to Buddha in private.

Upstairs the Ven. Devananda offered us crackers and Sri Lankan tea. One kind of cracker was fancy, the other just plain saltines. Sri Lankan tea is black tea with milk and honey. I took the tea, and one of the fancy crackers. I turned down a second cracker from the Monk. Another mistake. During the drive home it occured to me that the Ven. Devananda seemed genuinely dissappointed whenever someone turned down his offering. Then I remembered reading that Buddhist Monks gain merit by performing the good deed of giving to the laypeople. I hadn't eaten since lunch, I could've eaten the whole plate of crackers, but once again vanity got in the way. I didn't want to seem greedy.

I couldn't stay to talk long due to the long drive ahead. So I gave Ven. Devananda my e-mail address, said my thanks while putting on my shoes and left feeling great. It was a wonderfull experiance, I'll never forget it. I'm glad I wrote it down.

A few observations. Nobody offered to shake hands with the Monks, but I think the Ven. Devananda would have if I had offered my hand. The Monks seem to return what ever greeting was offered inkind. I noticed the donation box in the waiting room while alone, and made my donation. For all they knew I didn't make a donation, and no one said a word about it. The Ven. Devananda's calm and patient presence seemed to literally change the atmosphere in the room when he entered.

Finally, I hope this takes a little of the mystery away, and if you are debating about going, I urge you to do it. Regardless of your religion, or no religion I'm sure you would find it spiritually soothing.

Thanks for your patience, I wish you happiness and freedom from suffering.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Jake,

What a great post! I enjoyed it so much. I hope I get offered black tea with milk and honey because it's my favourite drink in the world!! LOL! I'm drinking it right now, as a matter of fact. I'm just thrilled with your experience and so happy. You have a great place to go now and you'll have the best support in the world. I know I keep saying it but I'm just so happy for you. Are you going back? If so, please keep us posted if it's not too much trouble because I so enjoy hearing about it. I feel as if I'm there when I read about it. When I go I'll write it all up too.

Congratulations!!

Brigid
    edited March 2006
    Hello Friends.......

Dear Federica, please tell me wordpad will work. Your Buddha nature shows, thanks.....

You wont be punished for your anger, you'll be punished by your anger.

Brigid has replied for me, so thanks to her for that - I hadn't seen your post come up, as I'm still not getting e-mail notifications for answered posts....*sigh!*
    :grin:
    As for my Buddha Nature showing, that's sweet of you.... but it takes one to know one.... and it's much the same for everyone on this board, I feel.... ;)

That quotation should go in the 'Favourite quotations' thread, in the Lotus Lounge.... when you get good ones, pop them in there.... :)
  • edited March 2006
    Hello Friends,

Brigid, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It felt great to tell it. A deals a deal, I hope to have the chance to rejoyce in your accomplishment of going to temple as soon as conditions allow. In the mean time, keep doing what you're doing. It's too early to tell yet, but I think I went looking for a teacher, and found numerous excellent roll-models to go with the ones on-line. Especially the Monks, they really are living Dharma. I'll take that in a heart beat.

Fede, dear deva of the digital domain, I'm so sorry to find out you're having a dose of computer too. Don't worry about it. I read your posts where ever I find them, I know you help alot. There is alot of Buddha nature on this site, I knew someone would answer my question. Thank you, and thank you Brigid.

Edit: Brigid, yes ofcourse I'm going back. I don't like to burn the gas, but I need all the help I can get with my wrong views. At this time. Soon it will be warm enough to ride the motorcycle (45 MPG). I plan to get to meditation as often as conditions allow, and I plan to to attend two upcomming festivals. April 16 Sinhala/Tamil.(Sri Lankan New Year), and May 20 Wesak(Buddha's birthday). Wanting to honor the Buddha on his day is one of my main reasons for finding a temple. I'll keep you posted.
  • edited March 2006
    Dear Fede,
    I couldn't find that thread. Favorite Quotations in the lotus lounge. Maybe you could point me to a forum that would help me learn the site etc. I'd like to know when its apropriate to start a new thread, among other things.

edit: never mind Fede, I found the thread.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Sounds great, Jake.
    And thanks again for posting it.
    I can barely type at the moment because I have a wee pink cat on my lap recovering from eye surgery and he has an Elizabethan collar on. LOL! But he's in need of his mummy which is me because he's a stray that just showed up one day. The most loving cat we've ever had. His name is Pinky because his coat is blond but in the sunlight through the windows it look very pale pink. It's such a joy to be around a loving affectionate animal. And before he came we only had 4.

But to get back to the topic, Pinky has taught me a great deal of Dharma practice. He's taught me patience and compassion, and he teaches me everyday just to sit and be. He is fearless and comfortable and loving to all strangers he meets. He inspires me everyday. So this teacher is very important to me.

That's all I can write for now. I think I've lost the feeling in my legs. LOL!

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    Hello Friends.

Meditation update here. This time Ven. Devananda gave a Dharma teaching after Metta meditation. It was on meditation. How it calms, and promotes patience. Not a full house, but more people this time.

Big plans for Sri Lankan New Years celebration going on now.

The art teacher layperson is making Buddha carvings for the Buddha's birthday celebration in May. Ven. Devananda says its Buddha's 2550th. This led to a discussion of the Buddha's features. In explaining the bump on the statue's head, Ven. Devananda refered to the Buddha as the "enlightenment guy". Yes he's being corrupted with western english already, at least thats what the english teacher said.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Jake,

LOL! That's hilarious!! Great update!

I'm so glad you went. These updates and the picture of the altar are priceless to me.

Can't wait to hear more.

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    I live in a small city in central Canada. There isn't a very large Buddhist community here. Indeed, unless I can speak Vietnamese, there isn't one here that I can participate in. Which is not really a problem because I read a lot of books, and I've been listening to hours upon hours of mp3-lectures regarding the Lamrim Teachings (given by the Venerable Thubten Chodron out of Sravasti Abbey). Yes, it would help me in my dharma practice to have a place to go or a group of people to meet with, but I'm managing just fine on my own. I also plan to attend Naropa University after I graduate here, so that will give me a number of opportunities to participate in a physical sangha.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Hi, Jizo.

Welcome fellow Canuck!!
    I find Thubten Chodron's talks to be a great help myself. I also listen to a lot of Pema Chodron's talks.

Glad to see you here. Make yourself at home.

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Hi, Jizo.

Welcome fellow Canuck!!
    I find Thubten Chodron's talks to be a great help myself. I also listen to a lot of Pema Chodron's talks.

Glad to see you here. Make yourself at home.

Brigid
    Thank you, Brigid!

I really like Pema Chodron's books, but I have not had a chance to listen to any of her talks, but I have read a couple of her books (which I found to be very helpful). I just picked up the book Hooked and I noticed that both Pema Chodron and Thubten Chodron are contributing authors! Oh what fun! Whee.gif

Metta,
    Jizo
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Ooohh!! I'll have to look for that one. It's bound to be good, no pun intended! LOL!

I'm very glad you're here, Jizo.

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    Hi Jizo,

I wanted to say you have a great "quote signature". Thanks for that.
  • jayjay
    edited April 2006
    im new here but ive been studying for 35 years, most often alone.
    ive just vowed to uphold the precepts-- i sent a letter to the local zen center abbess saying so!
    o i hope that books are teachers.
    every time i try sitting in public i run away from my practice and lose mindfulness from the shock. not just then but sometimes for years. yet i return because i so love the jewel of the lotus.
    are anyof you like me?
    when im alone im a buddhist but when i try to commune --except oddly when i become by accident a lay teacher of sorts trying to tell someone: then i become eloquent, subtle, able to quote and elucidate, i become even somewhat helpful!-- elsewise it's like a terrible stagefright in which i feel i want so to be accepted but i dont ever belong. maybe i could open a misfit's sangha and dharma group. anyone else feel this way? join me! even if only out of compassion! bring your dogs, your doubts, your cookies.
    i would love to hear from anyone.
    i will tell all of you, like i tell every sadnik, even myself, you are not alone!
    maybe someone out there will go with me somewhere, or i with you.
    zen mind=newbie's mind
    love,
    jay
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Welcome, Jay.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Hi, Jay!

Welcome!

Nice to have you here.

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    Hello Friends,

Another meditation update here. Also I went to the Sri Lankan New Years festival last saturday.

This week Ven. Chandana handled things alone, Ven. Devananda was in Washington DC for something. He did good. Ven. Chandana's english isn't great, but its meditation; sit in a Shrine room with a Buddhist Monk and let Karma do its thing. I noticed that he emphasizes breathing during some of the meditation. His Buddha nature inspires me.

At the New Years festival, I got to confirm my intention to live by the 5 precepts, in the Shrine room, with nine Monks, and about thirty laypeople. I was blessed twice by the Monks, one was with sacred oil brought from Sri Lanka.
    edited April 2006
    jay wrote:
    im new here but ive been studying for 35 years, most often alone.
    ive just vowed to uphold the precepts-- i sent a letter to the local zen center abbess saying so!

love,
    jay

Hello Jay, and welcome to you. Join the merry throng! :)
  • edited April 2006
    Hello Friends,
    I just wanted to show you my teachers. Me and Ven. Devananda, and Ven. Chandana.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Nice photos, Jake!

Thanks!

Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    Brigid,

Since I'm an electrician of sorts, I've been working at the temple. I had offered to fix a lighting circuit for the Monks. Others had tryed and failed, and it looked like I would too, but determination and patience payed off. I need to thank someone on this site for quoting Yoda of all things; something like no trying allowed, do or do not. When I thought about giving up I remembered that, and it helped.

The point is I've got to know the Monks better in a shorter time. Way more reward than I deserve. It took three trys, but fix the lights or not, they welcome me into their lifes. I see how busy they are, how they have so many people depending on them. They handle it always with calm loving kindness. Helping a Buddhist Monk helps people, and I can't even put into words how good it feals. I'm not bragging, it is no big deal, I do electrical work everyday for money, I just wanted you to know how they inspire me to be a better person, and help when possible, how rewarding the Path can be.

Now that spring has sprung I have less time for the internet. I'd like to tell you alot more about the wonderfull things the Monks are doing, but it will have to be on and off for now.
    If you are still interested I promise to make time to keep posting about my experiances with my Dharma teachers.

May you be well and happy, have a beautifull day.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Hi, Jake.

Oooohhh! That's good! You brought light to the monks! Yaaayy!! There's got to be a lot of merit in that. LOL!

I'm still and always will be interested in your adventures at the temple but I understand. You should go and get as much out of it as you can. I'm getting a little lazy living vicariously though you anyway. lol. Just check in with us every once in a while to let us know you're still alive.

I'm so happy for you, Jake. In a way you're a role model for me. One day you announced that you wanted to do more and today you're a working member of your temple. I think that's just absolutely wonderful. As great as it has been to read about your adventures I want you to get as much out of this opportunity as you can so don't worry about any more updates, O.K? Live it fully. Just let us know you're still alive once in a while.

With great love and respect,
    Brigid
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Friends,

The Monks know the best reading material, I'm going to get my hands on "Entering the Stream" next.
  • edited July 2006
    Hello Friends,
    Just a reminder to support the Monks always, but especially now during the rainy season when they go into retreat, starts about now and goes for the next three months. It has been brought to my attention that my Temple is broke, and the Monks are starving. I guess thats normal, Monks will give it all away. The more they have time to study the Damma, and meditate the more it helps us.

http://www.indianatemple.org/

edit; I just checked my link, it works, and thats me playing the drum at the 3rd anniversary celebration! Venerable Devananda either wants me to be a musician, or not be so shy because he always has me doing something dorky at these celebrations! I don't know what I'm doing, I just know I'm honored, and it's my policy to never say no to a Monk.