Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

TV PROGRAMME - BUDDHA IN SUBURBIA

ToshTosh Veteran
edited September 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I watched this on BBC IPlayer; you can only watch it if you're in the UK (I believe).

It's very good:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0152d29/Buddha_in_Suburbia/

Just thought I'd share.

Comments

• Wonderful program. I was particularly amused when the British, teenage daughter of the family Lelung Rinpoche stayed with explained how most of her friends thought they had an alpaca type creature living in the garden, LOL!

He seemed a lovely, genuine man with a real heart of compassion for people. And I pray he gets into Tibet soon to save those scriptures of the 5th Lelung, which are in danger of being lost.

It was wonderful to see how Buddhism is taking off again in Mongolia (having been banned previously under Communism), even, as he said, the people are a little bemused and unsure of the teachings. The point is they are once again able to learn, if they have the desire, and are restoring their ceremonies and traditions. All of which will help to reduce their suffering (as Rinpoche pointed out).

The documentary was a great 'advert' for Buddhism, in that it showed modern people, living modern lives, and it showed traditional peoples, but the over-riding message was one of compassion.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    You can download this (if that's your wish) from http://torrents.to/

• Thank you for that link. What was interesting for me is how they contrasted the lives in the UK and how a small dharma center is run in London and the way Buddhism is a this big religion in the East with hundreds of monks gathering for a ceremony in one temple.