Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Shivers

XraymanXrayman Veteran
edited March 2006 in Buddhism Today
This I suppose is an extention of "lyrics that mean something to you", thread.

What song gives you shivers when you hear it? or is it the singer's voice? that "does it " to you?

There are a few for me,

One, U2
New Years Day, U2
With or Without You, U2
The last day of Our aquaintance, Sinead O'Connor
Saint Swithin's Day, Billy Bragg
Don't give up, kate Bush/Peter Gabriel

regards,
X

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I don't know about lyrics...

But, when I hear old-time, black, Southern Gospel singing... whoooooboy! Makes me break out in shivers!

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Con Te Partiro (Time To Say Goodbye) - Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman

Didn't really connect with it when I first heard it. However, we were in Vegas on our honeymoon and one evening decided to stand and watch the fountains at the Bellagio hotel. They played this song during one of periods where they make the fountains "dance" and there was just something about the whole moment that was, for want of a better word, magical.
    It brought a tear to my eye (and still does) !

"Elation" by the Levellers also makes me all goose-pimply :

"Oh there was once a man who had lost his own smile
    And he wandered the country mile after mile
    Never quite knowing what he wanted to find
    For his heart it lay heavy with the weight of his mind

And he looked at the land through the tears in his eyes,
    For he knew that there were those who would will her to die.
    And he wept for his mother as he lay at her feet,
    And he heard a voice singing him softly to sleep,

[Chorus]
    I'll be your queen, I'll be your mother, I'll be your mystical child,
    Be your best friend, your lover, Your wife for all time.
    Will there ever be another, in this life of mine,
    Will there ever be another, like my mystical child.

So he climbed a high hill and he looked out to sea,
    And he heard a voice calling out softly to him,
    Open your heart boy for it needs to be free,
    And the next time you’re crying come running to me.

[Chorus]

So he walked through the valleys the trees and the fields,
    And he came to a river where she waited for him,
    And they looked at the water of life flowing by,
    And he heard a voice saying, 'You’re not alone in the fight',

[Chorus]"
  • edited February 2006
    You're My Home- Billy Joel
    (something) Daylight- Diana Krall
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    15 years ago, on our honeymoon, we went to New Zealand. There is a place where a tunnel has been bored right through a mountain, I'm not sure of the name, however the Coach Driver drove through the tunnel-it's about 15 minutes/5 kms long. Now at the end of the tunnel you come out into a valley, that (I kid you not) has vertical walls with waterfalls every 50 metres or so, on both sides! you drive for about 30 minutes through this area.

Now the coach PA had the music from "Chariots of Fire", the song by Vangelis, on it! wow! talk about the word "Breathtaking"-it literally did take my breath away to see such beauty! I promise, If anyone has seen this they will confirm the experience. MAGIC.

No need to tell you about Shivers!

although Niagara Falls is nice too (hint hint-SG)

regards
    X
  • edited February 2006
    You're more than welcome to XRay....

The lighthouse at Pemesquid Point, Maine....
    I literally cried at the wonderous sight.....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Don't give up, kate Bush/Peter Gabriel

That one does it for me too, Xray. What an amazing song.

Brigid
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Hey B.
    I saw Peter Gabriel playing live in Aus years ago-wow!

relly cool-he's a great singer/entertainer.

you have excellent taste.
    *blush*

regards,
    X
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I saw him in Montreal years ago. Incredible. I love him.
    That was one of those "magical" nights when everything goes right, know what I mean?
    It was one of few shows that I went to completely alone, and everyone around me was so good to me, like they took me into their collective arms. I felt protected and safe with these 15,000 screaming people. We all held each other's hands during "Biko". They bought me beer and stuff. It was great. It was like a relaxed, loving hippie atmosphere with tons of French Canadians who are the very best hippies in the world, IMHO. If anybody reading this ever hung out in Old Montreal in the 70's, they'll know what I mean. I even got a free t-shirt from a vendor after the show. I was just about to pay for it when he just gave it to me and said "no charge". I've always had a better time going to shows alone. But it's fun with your friends too. Montreal was such a magical place in those days. I wonder if it still is?

Brigid
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I'm a great fan of Kate Bush- anything she sings tingles my spine!

Also, there are two songs by my favourite band Queen that give me shivers. The first is called 'You Take My Breath Away', and features some amazing vocal harmonies that fade in for a final refrain after the main part of the song finishes, and they sound so ethereal that I shiver every time. The second song is called 'Mother Love', and it's the last song that Freddie Mercury ever sang. The whole piece is a kind of reflection over his life, and the tragedy of his death hits the listener when the final verse is sung by the guitarist Brian May; Freddie died before he could complete the recording. At the end, snippets of Queen songs play backwards in a sweeping rewind of his life, before a baby cries. It never fails to give me a lump in my throat...
  • edited February 2006
    I saw him in Montreal years ago. Incredible. I love him.

Blimey! I saw him as well in London, nearly 20 years ago!
    He was excellent.
  • edited February 2006
    When children consol each other.

It is completly out of compassion and loving-kindness that children will help each other out...it's a shame that somewhere down the line, our society trains them to 'grow out' of this...
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Padawan wrote:
    I'm a great fan of Kate Bush- anything she sings tingles my spine!

Also, there are two songs by my favourite band Queen that give me shivers. The first is called 'You Take My Breath Away', and features some amazing vocal harmonies that fade in for a final refrain after the main part of the song finishes, and they sound so ethereal that I shiver every time. The second song is called 'Mother Love', and it's the last song that Freddie Mercury ever sang. The whole piece is a kind of reflection over his life, and the tragedy of his death hits the listener when the final verse is sung by the guitarist Brian May; Freddie died before he could complete the recording. At the end, snippets of Queen songs play backwards in a sweeping rewind of his life, before a baby cries. It never fails to give me a lump in my throat...

Padawan,

I've got to get a copy of that song! How I loved Freddie Mercury! He was, and still is, one of my great heroes. And also the greatest performer that ever lived. LOL! He just kills me. I really want to hear that song. I know I'm going to sob and he's worth every teardrop. Can't wait!

Brigid
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    When children consol each other.

It is completly out of compassion and loving-kindness that children will help each other out...it's a shame that somewhere down the line, our society trains them to 'grow out' of this...

SharpieGirl,

I couldn't agree with you more. It's an incredibly beautiful thing to see. I've had the honour of witnessing friend's children do this and I could immediately pick out the naturally compassionate children. They really lived their lives in a loving and caring way. It gives me shivers, too, SharpieGirl. Good call!

Brigid
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    For those of you who like the musical work of Peter Gabriel, you may be interested in his other work:

Witness

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Simon,

I'm thrilled that you gave us that link! It's wonderful!
    The Quaker principle of Bearing Witness was the foundation for Greenpeace when it was founded in 1971 in British Columbia and has been its guiding light ever since. It's a principle I hold as sacred.

Thank you soooo much, Simon.

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Sarah Brightman, Vangelis, Freddie Mercury, Billy Joel. Man oh man we really are out on the rock front.
    It's sounds like some motorway services free promo CD after buying a full tank of fuel and a litre of Coca Cola .

AOR was never cool.

As for goose-pimply, come on. I recall seeing That Petrol Emotion ( Former Undertones) play "Big Decision" at Glastonbury. That was a moving experience partly down to something I had smoked.
    The London poll tax riots was another live event. I bumped into Julian Cope on the rally, 5 mins later the cops were beating the shit out anyone they could. That will make you goose pimply. I don't recall and sound track though. 40 mins later the british public were beat the shit out of the cops.

I recall it was good day to be British.

HH
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Beating the shit out of someone?-A good day to be British?

hey, I like That Petrol Emotion as well! good taste! undertones-good band as well-although Feargal Sharkey went a bit sideways with "You little Thief" don't you think?
  • edited March 2006
    X-rayman. Trust me you had to be there.

Sonic Youth were very exceptional live to. I saw them on the Goo Tour. Cast were excellent in the early days too. My friend was the sound engineer. Top band.

I could go on and on. If I can ask you a question Mr X.

Who is the Australia Olympic ( Bronze, Silver medal swimmer that is half Thai ?

HH
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Depeche Mode put on a great show about ten years ago here-I love them.

The Jesus and Mary Chain-rocked as well.

Souxie and the Banshees were cool as well. Even got to see the reformed Sex Pistols about 6 years ago, PIL was very professional a few years prior to that.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    You didn't answer HH's question, Xray.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Didn't the buddha say, something like, "It is better to remain silent and let everyone think you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"?

regards,
    X

P.S. I don't know his name.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    okay,

I saw depeche mode about ten years ago, they use a projection screen (doesn't everyone) during a song called "In Your Room" there is a spot where he sings "Your burning eyes, cause flames to arise" well the video projected onto the screen shows a womans eyes with flames below them looking down onto Dave Gahan (lead Singer)-Friggin amazing shiver-time (it's kind of like Hammer-Time but subtler.).

At another point in the show, Martin Gore (the head writer of DM) sings a song with him unaccompanied on the piano called "Somebody" (a die-hard fan will know the song) which goes

I want somebody to share
    Share the rest of my life
    Share my innermost thoughts
    Know my intimate details
    Someone who’ll stand by my side
    And give me support
    And in return
    She’ll get my support
    She will listen to me
    When I want to speak
    About the world we live in
    And life in general
    Though my views may be wrong
    They may even be perverted
    She’ll hear me out
    And won’t easily be converted
    To my way of thinking
    In fact she’ll often disagree
    But at the end of it all
    She will understand me
    Aaaahhhhh....

I want somebody who cares
    For me passionately
    With every thought and
    With every breath
    Someone who’ll help me see things
    In a different light
    All the things I detest
    I will almost like
    I don’t want to be tied
    To anyone’s strings
    I’m carefully trying to steer clear of
    Those things
    But when I’m asleep
    I want somebody
    Who will put their arms around me
    And kiss me tenderly
    Though things like this
    Make me sick
    In a case like this
    I’ll get away with it
    Aaaahhhhh....

Now during this performance, the audience of 26,000 on the night was dead-silent! at the point of "and kiss me" there was a LONG pause, then TEN-DER-LY.

AMAZING! SHIVER_TIME!
    I LOVE THAT!

perhaps I'm just going-off about nothing, but it was a huge high for me, and my Mrs.

cheers!
    Xray
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Aww! That's beautiful, Xray!!
    What a sweet man you are!

Brigid

P.S. Does your wife know you're saying mushy things about her on the Net? LOL!