Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sangha questions

edited October 2011 in Sanghas
The only Sangha I have found in my area practices Zen Buddhism as taught by Thich Naht Hanh. If I wanted to find out about other Buddhist teachers, where would I look? I want to be involved with a Sangha, but I want more instruction than what the local one is offering.

Comments

• I might try googling 'buddhism and cities in your area' For example 'buddhism springfield'
  • Kath: the instruction in many different Buddhist sanghas and sects can proceed slowly. I've heard really good things about Vietnamese Buddhism, so consider yourself lucky to be near such a sangha. You may find that you'll want to supplement the teachings with your own readings. Or ask if there's a program that offers supplemental instruction. Sometimes there are options one is not aware of, just attending the once-weekly teaching.
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Yes, Kathryn.

Just try to "scour" around the web, and try to find out what centers or even meditation classes are in your area. While everyone can offer you great suggestions based on tradition or school, you just need to find the one that resonates best. You will find the right one for you!

Not asking you to be too specific, but if we knew the general area, perhaps someone could point you in the right direction.

While it is an added plus if one is fortunate enough to find a good teacher and even a sangha to practice with if they choose, I think at the very least least it is helpful to find a good meditation method to practice. Some personal instruction is better in my opinion. And from there, even if there are no suitable dharma teachers nearby, there are so many good talks/video's/books etc. that one can use to supplement their practice. While it is good to be able to attend talks, teachings and practice with a group too, it is just as important to try to take the essence of the teachings and integrate them into our daily lives.
  • Hi Kathryn,

You can look for other centres in your area at the Buddhanet worldwide directory

http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/index.php

with kind wishes,

D.