Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Looking for some light-hearted dharma...

ToshTosh Veteran
edited October 2011 in Buddhism Basics
A while back I was listening to Ajahn Brahm and he mentioned a text that was something to do with the monastic rules and how they came about. He said the stories were very interesting, in that they showed that people back 2500 years ago were no different from people were today (naughty).

It was the background to why Nuns shouldn't throw poo over monastery walls, and how alcohol became banned (because of a drunken Monk); but I can't remember where he said this information was.

Does anyone know? It sounds like an interesting read.

Comments

• You can look up the Vinaya (rules for monks), and the tangle of rules and closed loopholes is a pretty amusing read.
  • Haven't heard those stories myself.

_/\_
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    You can look up the Vinaya (rules for monks), and the tangle of rules and closed loopholes is a pretty amusing read.
    Thanks; yes, that's it, the Vinaya - I'm sure that's what Ajahn Brahm was talking about. He was saying it's an interesting look back into what people were like during the time of the Buddha, and really, we've not changed a bit.

I'll do some research on it when I get time.

Thanks.

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Alot of the Vinaya really needs updating. :)
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I throw poo over walls all the time. I see nothing wrong with that.
  • Check out Brad Warner's books for light-hearted Dharma. I especially like Sit Down and Shut Up and Hardcore Zen.