Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do you eat for protein?

Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
edited October 2011 in Diet & Habits
I'm always on the look out for different protein rich foods that I can add into my weight lifting diet. I drink whey protein shakes daily, but variety is the spice of life. I'm looking for more protein rich snacks that I can eat throughout the day, from around 150-400 calories. I try to stay around 2300 calories a day, might need more than that eventually. I am also looking for vegetarian suggestions for protein. As I'm curious to see how it compares to meat, which can sometimes feel heavy when eating too much.

Comments

• I eat peanut butter, though not really to build muscle. I eat it as a healthy way to get 'full' so that I do not eat something worse between meals, like avoid a bag of chips. Peanut butter has protein, unsaturated plant oils, and sugar. I eat it on whole grain bread which has fiber and complex carbs.
  • so are you a vegetarian or meat eater? how many grams of protein are you eating per day?
  • ajna, I am assuming you are addressing the original poster, serenity?
  • Kashi makes some really good breakfast bars, the almond flax ones I especially enjoy and the peanut butter ones are good too. No high fructose corn syrup. Not HIGH in protein, but at last its something different and yummy. I can't tell you any specific nutritional info on them though because I ate the rest that I had yesterday! :buck:
  • yes, my comment was directed at mr_serenty
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    are you aware of some of the dangers of eating too much protein? it was discussed in this thread recently. i would say, make sure you are getting enough calcium or your body will leech it from other places (like your bones), since calcium is necessary to digest protein.

inspired by all of these health debates, i recently downloaded a free android app for my phone called MyFitnessPal. it's pretty awesome. it tracks calories, protein, fiber, and important vitamins and minerals. all you have to do is add in what you eat daily. they have a vast database of items to choose from, so you really only have to select your foods (not add in all the info). they even have a barcode scanner.

what i've found is that i'm more than okay with protein, but potassium and calcium are what i need to work on. my fiber consumption is even better than i thought. based upon my studies online, i've set my protein goal at about 38 grams (based on my weight) but the app puts me at 65 grams, probably because of my level of activity. but even so, i generally have no trouble reaching it.

protein is in everything, even bread can have 1 or 2 grams per slice. if you buy the super protein bread from Trader Joes, you can get 5 grams of protein per slice. other snacks i like are raw almonds and hummus with pita. you would also be surprised how much protein is in pumpkin seeds(.5 cup has about 8 grams), but make sure you don't buy ones that have too much salt added in. oh and of course, greek yogurt is a great protein source as well. that's about it off the top of my head.
  • zombiegirl, my brother thinks we are becoming cyborgs :) Even what we eat has technology input now!
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited October 2011
    so are you a vegetarian or meat eater? how many grams of protein are you eating per day?
    I eat for health. So I eat meat when it's around and for protein, but I also do eat vegetarian a good portion of the week. I really vary it up. Right now I'm probably eating around 70 grams of protein a day on average, probably not enough since I lift and run. Not sure
  • zombiegirl, its unlikely 38g is going to cover your needs unless you're completely sedentary... you are about 100lb?

the problems with too much protein are exaggerated.

calcium DRI's in the US are higher than they need to be... shoot for 800mg.

if you're a vegetarian than you need even more owing to the lower digestibility with plant proteins.

just fyi i'm a nutrition major and a vegetarian :P
  • Mr_Serenity... shoot for 1.2g/kg of bodyweight if youre lifting... (bodyweight / 2.2) * 1.2 = grams per day you need.

whey or rice protein is your best bet as far as powders go... you can make protein bars and stuff from powders. you can mix whey into anything and cook it... cookies, muffins, etc.
  • I eat a vegan diet. My wife and I like seitan, and Texturized Vegitable Protien (TVP). Of couse Tofu.
  • @Jeffrey
    Thanks for the reminder of flax seed bread. I don't eat that much gluten, but flax seed is more protein, so I'll probably get some with peanut butter. I wonder if eating the regular peanut butter would be that much worse compared to the natural though? The natural oily kind is sort of nasty.

@zombiegirl
    Yeah if one eats too much protein they can get kidney stones. I do eat a lot of veggies, fruits and calcium too though. Calcium is probably the second thing I eat the most of, since my protein shakes always have milk, and I add in yogurt as protein throughout my day. I'm 5.11, 185 with muscle (actually aiming for 165 while still maintaining muscle), so I need a lot of protein. I think I may not be eating enough.

Thanks for all those suggestions. I got to stock up on the super bread from trader joes, and the pumpkin seeds. Greek yogurt too.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited October 2011
    @ajnast4r oops, i meant to say that 38 grams is my minimum goal. and yes, i am about 100 lbs. i got my minimum by multiplying my weight by .37 but like i said, i'm usually around 65 grams.

so since you should know what you're talking about (lol), do you think 65 grams is enough? i'm a massage therapist and have a pretty physical job.

@Mr_Serenity i haven't bought that bread in a while (my girlfriend hates it, lol), but i THINK it was called something like "california complete protein bread"
    and on a side note, my girlfriend's stepdad is always ragging on me for being a vegetarian, telling me how unhealthy it is etc etc... but he has a horrible time with kidney stones and refuses to believe me when i say he should cut down his meat(protein) consumption. he's not a bad guy, he just thinks i'm a crazy tree hugger, lol.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Meat or beans!
  • Mr Serenity, I think the regular peanut butter tastes good. However there is a substantial amount of sugar. I guess if your going to burn it off.... Yet there might be something better you can do with those calories. I eat peanut butter because I really like the taste.

I'll have to try that flax bread. See if its any good. I eat multi grain or 100 percent stoneground wholewheat.

For calcium eat a half pizza! Just kidding but you would need to eat 4-6 TUMS which have a lot of Calcium :buck:
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    What I eat for protein ?

Glucose and sugar ! :rockon:
    with milk and either rice or bread.
  • There's a spaghetti made out of black beans that contains 20 grams of protein per serving. Flax seeds, chia seeds, sprouts, protein powders...
    There's a spaghetti made out of black beans that contains 20 grams of protein per serving. Flax seeds, chia seeds, sprouts, protein powders...
    seriously? have you had it? what sort of a meal would you make out of it?
  • zombiegirl, rule of thumb is 0.8g/kg for sedentary, 1-1.2g/kg for active. so yes, 65 is more than enough. its good to get a little extra... you only run into problems when you see people who are consuming hundreds and hundreds of grams per day.

ive had that high protein bean pasta as well... its delicious! goes really well in asian style noodle dished, but is just fine for anything you would use normal pasta in.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Soy! :)

p.s. and no it does not cause man boobs. :)
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited October 2011
  • chuck norris, try eating him as a snack
  • Whey isolate protein powder, almond, cashews, peanuts, peanut butter, milk, cheese, eggs, omelets, meat.
  • thought of a couple more- oatmeal, fish, tuna
  • spinach and sometimes fish.
  • auraaura Veteran
    lentils, eggs, bean sprouts...
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    http://www.nowpublic.com/health/protein-drinks-shakes-powder-contain-toxic-metals-study-shows-2624518.html

Consumer Reports Study Into Protein Supplements Safety: 15 Brands (GNC, Muscle Milk, BSN) Contain Dangerous Metals (Lead, Arsenic, Mercury)

Consumer Reports magazine has conducted an extensive review of 15 protein drinks and powder and has come to some troubling conclusions.

The test of the protein drinks found all 15 contained at least one of the following potentially toxic metals, Arsenic, Mercury, Lead, and Cadmium, with the amounts exceeding recommended USP (United States Pharmacopeia) Standards.

Continue reading at NowPublic.com: Protein Drinks, Shakes, Powder Contain Toxic Metals Study Shows | NowPublic News Coverage http://www.nowpublic.com/health/protein-drinks-shakes-powder-contain-toxic-metals-study-shows-2624518.html#ixzz1apIfxTmQ

Careful with that stuff. There are organic and vegetable protein powders that likely don't have that in it.
  • My father is a strict man of routine of exeercise and weight lifting, I understand why he does it because I know inside he is a troubled man but on the outside appears the jolly joker that is in great shape, so he has built this identity, it will soon crumble then he is left with what?

So I do not fully understand why a practicing buddhist would be so intent on body building, I am not ctricising so do not bite my head off as it may consume protein, but I just do not get it. okay, exercise to stay healthy ya, but body building it evades me as a buddhist. Especially as the post above just illustrated what is in the protein shakes.
  • My personal favourite protein sources, in no particular order:

(1)Eggs - they are tasty and contain all 8 amino acids! (Mske sure they're free range, though)
    (2)Soya - there are lots of veggie 'meats' and other foods made from it, and the flavoured soya milks are a great alternative to chocolate etc if you have a sweet tooth (make sure and get the calcium and vitamin-enriched ones)
    (3)Hummus - a chick pea dip that can be made quickly and cheaply from scratch or bought ready-made
    (4) Dairy foods - cheese, yoghurt and milk
    (5) Brown rice - 5.2g of protein per 150g serving
    (6) Pistachio nuts - these go nicely with cheese as a high-protein snack
    (7) Porridge oats - 11g per 100g dry oats

I hope this helps!
  • @ThailandTom
    This is the whey protein shake I buy
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Natural-Chocolate/dp/B000GIQT06/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318698561&sr=8-2
    It is premium whey protein. Basically the most pure form of whey protein you can buy. There is good and bad in everything, I'm sure if you looked up most things on the internet you could find both a bad article and a good article.

But for this protein I take it is one of the highest rated protein powders on Amazon. I also haven't noticed any bad effects from taking it. And I regularly get my blood checked. It's a huge bucket that lasts me a while, so I recommend it and I appreciate it.

What makes you think your father will crumble like he is making some sort of false insecure identity? We all die, but that doesn't mean his spirit will, on the contrary his spirit is probably one of the strongest around. Weight lifting as a routine is one of of those things that changes your character and your spirit forever. I personally think it makes people stronger, more than just physically. It makes men more masculine, literally, as it raises testosterone levels.

Weight lifting is all about looking good. Just about 95 percent of all male actors do it as a routine. It takes a substantial amount of effort to body build and get big. Just weight lifting will make you big eventually, but not that big. I don't body build to get massive, I weight lift to look good and for the health benefits.

More muscle = higher metabolism, more physical strength, more endurance, more heads turning from the ladies. Obviously moderation is key, looking like a muscle monster would be past that point of moderation. But weight lifting is a substantial benefit in my life.

It is like a natural high that helps me. It feels good to get all that aggression off on heavy steel. It's like my time in church just spending with my sacred iron and my club music while I rip my muscles to make them stronger/bigger. It's like my religion.

I never looked at Buddhism as my religion. I just look at it as useful psychology. I am always cultivating of my mind, body and spirit. Buddhism is cultivating the mind, weight lifting is cultivating the body. There are just so many benefits that I cannot go over them all. So I will probably weight lift the rest of my life.

• When I said my dad will crumble, it is a long long ass story Mr S. He is has been estranged from me for a few years, but he is suffering inside, as his son, as my sister and mother both know, he is totally fixated on this identity of being fit, more than fit, and soon old age creeps in. This identity is imperemanent and I KNOW how much he attachs to it. What ever affected his childhood he masks with his work, he loves to work even sundays 10 hours, make himself into this superior being physically, because inside he suffers, eventually this will all change.
  • And to add, yes we have two very different outlooks on life, but I respect yours as I have been there. Go about it and do it to its fullest. I myself have gone through so much change in the last year it has made me rethink life dramatically and for the better, but we are all individuals with different paths, good luck my friend
  • There's a spaghetti made out of black beans that contains 20 grams of protein per serving. Flax seeds, chia seeds, sprouts, protein powders...
    seriously? have you had it? what sort of a meal would you make out of it?
    It's pretty good used in any dish that you would use noodles. Last night I ate it with a spiced up marinara-- pretty good! I'm also one to experiment, so next time I might make it with mango salsa or butternut squash.
    edited October 2011
    @ajnast4r thank you :)

@zidangus yes, quorn is fantastic. i also like that it isn't a "fake chicken" with a bunch of crap in it to make it "taste like chicken". it has it's own flavor because it's well... a fungus... but i love mushrooms so that doesn't bother me.

@Mr_Serenity i meet a lot of weight lifters, and i would say that some of them are the most insecure men i have ever met. of course, on the outside, they are strong and beautiful and confident, but if you really talk to them, they are very obsessed with their looks and fearful to miss a day because of what might happen to their body. i know a personal trainer, and every time i compliment him, he'll say things like, "well, my calves could still use some work." it's an odd mentality to me. there was a discussion recently on make-up for girls and whether or not "looking good" involves obsession with looks and vanity as a result. i feel that this is the male form of make-up for women.
    i'm not trying to bash you, of course. but i do think that if you spend too much time thinking/working on anything, it does start to have a higher importance to you. i notice this myself with make-up and fashion. i have to work on not holding myself to high levels of perfection as i know "beauty" is only temporary. let's face it, health very well may be as well.

@prettyhowtown i will have to try this if i ever see it at the store! sounds interesting.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2011
    @zombiegirl hence my father, ever since he joined the army at 16, he has been obsessed with being perfect physcially, to look good for himself and for those around him. Surely this is a really simple teaching of the dharma... You know that identity will one day fade, the hope, joy, happiness, frienships gained will also fade. EVERYTHING COMES FROM WITHIN, nothing external really leads you down a path of clarity
    edited October 2011
    @zombiegirl
    I agree with you. Most weight lifters were weak men to begin with. They were probably socially awkward, really skinny or really fat wimps. That were fearful. Fearful of something. Insecure of something. Usually some sort of emotional trauma. At some point in their life they were probably that weak.

People can let this stuff stay with them and it can bring them down make life like a prison for them, and they will be weak. They will always be mind controlled by their weaknesses. Or they can force themselves to get out of their comfort zone. When you begin to get out of your comfort zone over and over again, you actually kill your old self. You get rid of your weaker self to make a stronger, wiser, newer self, that is evolution. That is basically rebirth in this life time, it is like a form of enlightenment.

That is what weight lifting is all about. It's a process of ripping the old weak, fatty tissues to construct the hardened stronger more elegant looking muscles. It can do this to your personality as well. Because through looking better, more confidence comes. So yes while I agree that many weight lifters were weak or insecure men to begin with.

I think many of them end up being the strongest type of men in the long run. Every year I improve 10x what I was the previous year. Physically, mentally and spiritually it is like this every year. I improve so much, that I cannot even imagine myself at the end of the next year what I will be like, because that is how vast the transformation is. It is transcendent. Because I am constantly evolving. I always take myself out of my comfort zone, to learn, to digest, to grow.

This is the proper weight lifting mind set. To rip the old for the new, for the better. To evolve, to strengthen. However, there must be a balance. We must be mindful of being practical. There is a difference of looking your best and doing way too much to look good.

There is a "too much" point. Like I would say using steroids or unnecessary cosmetic surgery could be the "too much" point. But then there is the "wow you look great" point. That is where most weight lifters aim for. Because well it makes them feel good, it makes them look better (most of the time). I do think it improves ones state of mind as a whole too. It sharpens them like a sword.

So weight lifting is a tool to get rid of weakness, insecurities, to cultivate strength, to cultivate the body. I do think it does that. It isn't all a man needs to improve, but I find it a very useful attribute in my life. If I lost it, if I lost my gym, I would just find other ways to work out and stay fit. Everything is temporary, and nobody is perfect. We all have our individual weaknesses that we're working on, or ignoring even. But for me, I like to do the best that I can under my circumstances. I would like to look back on this life and think;
    "Yeah I was one bad, good looking, clever dude, that conquered my weaknesses. I'm glad that I made it happen."
  • Yes okay, so you were once a weak boy/man? when it comes to the age of 40-50 and you have to really work at everything to keep up that figure that attains your happiness, will you be able to do so? Good luck, or as I would say, 'chuck dee koa gnor'
    edited October 2011
    Yes okay, so you were once a weak boy/man? when it comes to the age of 40-50 and you have to really work at everything to keep up that figure that attains your happiness, will you be able to do so? Good luck, or as I would say, 'chuck dee koa gnor'
    Everything is temporary. But do I see 50 year old+ guys working out and looking good in my gym? Absolutely. They are there as much as me, and they look great. I actually see one particular old guy who appears to be in his 80s. He is hunched over and holds a walking stick taller than him. When he is walking to each machine it looks like he is almost in pain. But then when he gets to a machine he lifts like he is some sort of Taoist master that harnesses energy. This old man who is hunched over with a walking stick, lifts over 100 pounds on many machines.

It's unbelievable, I see him at the gym about twice a week. I respect him very much. He is like "Master Roshi". He is one badass dude. I hope that when I am his age I am still able to workout like he does.

• Like I said, we each have our own path in life, right now and maybe in the near/distant future yours will be rulled by self image. That choice is of course your own and nobody can dispute that, good luck to you Mr S
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Meat, eggs, beans, nuts, nothing too spectacular.
  • My go-to when I'm low on the protein levels is always a can of tuna packed in water. Sorry to suggest another meat, but it's just amazing. It is SO CHEAP and always fits just how I need it to with my nutrients when I'm lacking.
  • dolphin friendly tuna?? :hrm:
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    edited October 2011
    He is like "Master Roshi".
    Kamehameha!! :D
  • Lol Amelia that made my morning thanks.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Fish (wild not farmed if possible, sustainable, and not tuna/large fish that contain heavy metals).

Also beans, nuts, tofu, mushrooms, cheese, bread.
  • Ezekiel bread is fairly high in protein, for bread. If you made a sandwich with two slices of it, you'd get 8 grams just in the bread.