Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sahaja Yoga

SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
edited October 2011 in Faith & Religion
Wondering if anyone had any experiences with this group?

Comments

• isn't that a form of yoga?
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Not physical (exercise) yoga. They do a form of kundalini meditation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahaja_yoga
  • oh okay, kundalini meditation is about working with the various chakras.

i've done some kundalini meditation. it involves repeating mantras, meditation and learning to be in touch with our chakras.

in a way it is real yoga because it deals primarily with the true function of yoga. which is to bring union to all the chakras by awakening kundalini energy in the root to rise upwards to the crown.
  • i dont have any experience with that group specifically but many years of yoga practice. what exactly are you wondering about the group?

• Never tried it, but I did read that the founder claimed to be both Maitreya Buddha and The Mahdi.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I just thought someone might offer some comparison with the Buddhist approach.

I had an interesting experience with them long before I got into Buddhism, but I never went back. But it was my first exposure to anything to do with meditation and also India (I think I must have been about 13 then) and I instantly fell in love.. It was one of those moments that led me to Dharma eventually, I think.
  • I'm quite familiar with the group and plenty of it's practitioners. It's kind of like Adi Da and group, if you're familiar. The lady Nirmala Srivastava has some power and bliss, some samadhi, but has too much Self identity around it which tarnishes the teaching. I find this happens a lot with Hindu Tantric practitioners. Bliss, but lots of clinging to subjective levels of samadhi experience without the objective insight of dependent origination. She has no realization of emptiness and dependent origination, this I can say with plenty of certainty. She's kind of a megalomaniac with some profound gifts, which is dangerous in my opinion. But, it's not that her teachings are entirely wrong in and of themselves, kind of like Osho in that sense.