Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

we had a 'large' group

AMHAMH
edited October 2011 in Sanghas
I attend a Buddhist Study group with the UU church. Most people would say they are UU first and study Buddhism (btw that is Unitarian Universalist). I am more Buddhist first and like the UUs for social connection that I haven't found for the whole family in other groups here.

Anyway the other night we had a large group for us, that is 6 core people. We usually have about 3. There have been lots of people who come and go. We did a lot of advertising and encouraging but it just stays small. So typically we pick a book to read throughout the year, think about a book that may bring people in, and then go chapter by chapter. We just accepted that our group will be the size it is and now we are bringing whatever we feel like on a general theme and just talking. It was so nice, we had these long silences for awhile during discussion. To be trendy I will say it was an 'organic process'. And after I got into a nice conversation about punk music and halloween costumes (I was wearing one from my job working with kids). What I really like is that no one has really picked one lineage or tradition to hold themselves to outside of practice so we consider things from many traditions.

Okay just had to share!

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Sounds very pleasant.
  • Thanks for sharing!

My brother is also in the UU's, and they have a Buddhist monk that comes often to speak to their congregation. He tells me they are very open and accepting of all comers(LGBT) - all faiths too.

They seem to focus less on the god concept than the spiritual concept, I guess so they can encompass or embrace all aspects without setting particular boundaries.

I would consider them if there were no sanghas around.
  • ToshTosh Veteran

I would consider them if there were no sanghas around.
    Me too. I did look into the UU before I found Buddhism. They sound like a great church.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I have a chum who is both a UU minister and a Zen roshi. Every now and then, I will ask him a question about Christianity, since I assume he had some training in order to get his UU credentials. And each time I ask, he grows increasingly testy. He's not much of a fan of the average Christian take on things.

Once, when I must have caught him before his second cup of coffee in the morning, he emailed a terse response: "Christianity is fundamentally flawed," he wrote, as much as anything, I suspect, to stem my flow of questions about Christianity. I could see his point, but was caught a bit off guard.
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    I wouldn't consider UU to be Christian.
  • UU can include anyone whether christian, athiest, buddhist, etc. The UU church does not have its own belief system beyond human dignity and worth, social justice, I forget the 7 principles. I have mostly heard that Christians in the UU church tend to feel like a minority and not always comfortable
  • Small groups can be great, and I was first introduced to Budhism and meditation by a UU minister.