Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

To covert or not to covert.

edited September 2005 in Faith & Religion
Here I am learning about Buddhism. And its rather appealing. BUT Now I am in a stage of wondering should I actually convert. You see, like I said before, I was raised in a Christian home, forced to go to church as a child.
I am scared to convert to another religion, but I don't know if that is because I have been raised to be a Christian and thats really all I know, or maybe its the pressure all around me to believe in God. "If you don't believe in God you will go to hell" Well, first off if I don't believe in God, than obviously I don't believe in Hell. So where do I stand?

This is so touchy to me right now. I'm so confused. Buddhism seems and feels right to me. Being the kind of person that I am, open minded, caring, and considerate. But I'm so scared to choose anything.

What would you reccomend I do to ease this confusion?
What can I do to decide what is really right?

And finally, if I do decide to convert...how in the world do you start besides just learning about it. :confused:

By the way there are no Buddhist Temples in KY!!

Comments

• ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited April 2005
    Anita wrote:
    By the way there are no Buddhist Temples in KY!!

Sure there are..you just need to know where to look!
    http://208.2.76.29/tricycle/tri_index.lasso

It's a hard thing to change your 'religion'. I had denied myself for many many years that I was an atheist. I sugar-coated it by calling myself agnostic, but I knew that wasn't the absolute truth. It seems that deep down inside, you know what your beliefs are, and you've found your first step on a path towards something that isn't promised by other religions.

If you fear telling your parents and friends, who says you have to! Drop subtle hints that your world view is changing. I haven't told my parents, but I'm sure the buddha on my dashboard and the buddha fish on the back of my care are more than subtle clues!

Follow your heart, be a light unto yourself, and go in the direction you feel and know is right.
    But I'm so scared to choose anything.

So don't! Who says we have to label ourselves this or that. Labelling is the heart of dichotomous thinking, and dichotomous thinking is the antithesis of buddhism! Humans have a need to label everthing, pigeon-hole it into 'understandable' categories so we don't need to have to think about it on anything but the simplest terms. I only call myself a buddhist when Jehoviah's Witnesses come knocking on the door. Other than that, i have know idea what a "buddhist" is... I read about it, meditate, try to live my life by buddhism's principles, but I'm no 'buddhist' :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2005
    Don't be so hard on yourself, or put too much pressure on yourself! You're just 'starting out' so you need to relax and kind of let things 'come to you' of their own accord. You don't expect a baby who's just found his legs to be able to walk all the way to the mall and back on his first attempt, do you? Zen's right - why put yourself in a position to choose? I too had a rigorous Catholic upbringing - now all my family knows, accepts and feels very comfortable with my own affirmation of being Buddhist. But - so what?
    Just go with your inner flow, stop struggling, and relax. Enjoy the ride - you might be so intent on watching exactly where you're putting each foot, that you forget to see just how lovely the countryside is today - !!
  • edited April 2005
    Anita,

Zen and Federica are right. Don't put yourself in a position to choose or be hard on yourself, and ease up on the pressure on yourself! I was brought up in the Baptist faith---we were the family that were there every time the doors to the church were open! I hated it because I thought that a faith that was so male-oriented and thought of women as second-rate was not the kind of faith I wanted to be identified with. Also, I struggled with the fact there was only one true way to heaven and any other paths were the paths to Hell. Anyway, I found Wicca and decided to practice the Wiccan Ways. I have explained what the Wiccan path is in another forum. I don't denounce Christianity; it is just not the right path for me. Christians have the right to practice any particular faith they wish to as do other members of the many diverse religions being practiced in the world today. It would be nice that they are more accepting of other religions! But I always was interested in Buddhism and wondered what it was about. So, I decided to ask questions and to find out for myself. I knew people in my homestate of Florida that were Buddhists and I was struck by the fact that they all seemed to be so calm and serene. I researched different sects of Buddhism and was drawn to the Nichiren Buddhist path and I decided I wanted to learn more about it. Here I am. So, I am a student that is still seeking answers just like you! Maybe we can learn them together here at this site. I am also still a Wiccan and I shall always be. Also, Wiccans and Buddhists do not demand that a person give up their core beliefs whatever they may be. All are welcome and I respect that. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Adiana :bigclap: :bigclap: :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited April 2005
    Don't think of it as "converting" - that's the first thing you need to get over. You don't have to treat buddhism as a religion. There are lots of threads on this very site about all of our struggles with our conservative (and sometimes plain hardheaded!) families.

The buddhists and easter thread started off innocent enough, but it kind of turned into a "coming out as a buddhist to our families" clearinghouse :lol:

Don't worry about any of this at all. Trust in yourself, and know that many of us (myself included) have been exactly where you are right now. It's not an easy path, but it will enable you to find peace, trust me on that! :D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2005
    having said all this, and having kept up with the threads, there may be a danger that you (Anita) may fall into the 'trap' of believing that "Hey, Buddhism is soooo laid back, it's easy! man all I gotta do is chill out, lay back and relax, it will all fall into place anyway, right?"
    In a way, yes...but in another way, no....
    Like anything really worth achieving, it takes effort. To read, acknowledge and accept as true for you, the 4 Noble Truths; To read, acknowledge and accept as true for you, The Eightfold Path. To read, acknowledge and accept as true for you, whatever books on Buddhism you may wish to read (recommended reading thread) all take effort on your part. But there is no-one who will judge, appraise and condemn your self-perceived failures, but you yourself. Conscience in this context is a wonderful friend and ally. And everyone on this site will always welcome you, unconditionally, with open arms. Ask whatever you want, and we'll all try, in our different ways, to keep you going and to support you when you need us. And we all know we can come here for help, support, friendship and idle chat, too.
    My favouritest (see, what a command of the English language I have! :lol: ) quotation of all time, has to be:
    "This above all:
    To thine own self be True,
    And it MUST follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false
    To any man."
    (Polonius, Hamlet.)

It may not always make you popular, it won't ever be easy, but it is the most rewarding thing in the world, if you can follow it. EFFORT. Key word. :)
  • edited June 2005
    Hi everyone, I am the Knight of Buddha, or Doc. I seem to find my self in this exact type of position. I am 15 and for about 6 months or so, I have really done a lot of reflecting on what I truly believe in. I live in a devout Catholic household and for a while now, I have had a love for studying religions, Buddhism being the most intriguing to me. Before I knew that Buddha was more than just a statue on people's dashboards, I had already had difficulties with Christianity. I did not like the male supremecist aura I sensed, I was ashamed of much of its history, and was not sure whether to believe in all of the Bible anymore. Then I found this guy Buddha who was saying a lot of things I agreed with, so I studied deeper.

Now meditation is a part of my daily life. Several obstacles are in my way from really appreciating Buddhism. One is my parents. Like I said, devout Catholic, and I must go to church otherwise I am prohibited from any type of enjoyment on the weekend. So I coped with this for a while, but now it has become a bit more agitating. So along with my intrest of Buddhism and discontent with formal religions, I began slowly to disbelieve in the Bible. I don't believe in Hell, angels, and all the silly ceremonies. I am not even sure about Jesus and God, so I am sort of Agnostic for now.

At many times, I have found myself having to defend other religions (non-christian) that I don't even believe in. I have only done it when I felt they were unfairly judged. My family knows that if they say any kind of anti-semitic statement in the household, it will result in me giving a lecture on the Holocaust and other tragic events. But I think they are noticing my shift in religion. I don't really participate in the Mass, I meditate frequently, I constantly question the Bible, and am always looking for some good debate to get in. All in all, I'm a heretic.

Escaping the family religious imperialism can be difficult. It can be very difficult especially when your entire family on both sides is Christian and you are just the young, rebellious, Buddhist talking about religious tolerance. But keep in mind that the choice is ultimately yours. Do not believe in something only out of fear of some unthinkable punishment, for that seems worse than disbelieving I would think.

Maybe this quote by the Buddha will help...
    Be a light onto yourself, betake yourseves to no external refuge. Hold fast to what is true. Look not for refuge to anyone besides yourselves.
    edited June 2005
    Doc you are old and wise beyond your years..... But don't shut your mind to the wonder and beauty of Christian teachings. Some of them are quite sensible. There are loads of posts on this forum discussing the links between Buddhism and Christianity. And yes, I did say, the links. It's not God that got it wrong, it's the folks downstairs....

I was born, raised and lived as a Roman Catholic. I'm 48 and took Refuge in Buddhism about 5 years ago. But In the UK, where I originally came from, I was even an active School Governor at a R.C. school, where both my girls went. So I know a bit about this.... ;)

"I don't think God has to play by any rules and I don't think I will ever comprehend what God truly is. "
    One of our Forum members (comicallyinsane) said this, and I think it's one of the most sensible things I've ever read. 99% of what we know of God & Jesus is hyped -up drivel perpetuated by guys who like to be in control. But that remaining 1% is vitally, vitally important. it makes the whole. In order to be a complete person, you have to look at the global picture. While your Mum & dad find comfort, solace and spiritual support in what they do, be happy for them. They raised you with Love and consideration, so be kind to them. they have much to say that if you shut your ears completely, you may miss.
    Enjoy your life and be happy.
    edited June 2005
    Welcome to our site, Knight of Buddha :D

You are quite articulate for a 15 year old, and as Federica said, wise beyond your years. Im used 2 seeng ppl ur age type like this omg lol omg. ;)
  • edited June 2005
    Thanks for the compliments. This site looks pretty cool. I'm sure I will like it here.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    May I re-inforce the point that we do not "convert" to Buddhism. It is clear that, for some great souls such as Thomas Merton, Buddhist ideas and, especially, practice illuminated their religious faith.

Above all, practise!

Formal Taking Refuge can become important at so many levels, including that of ego-satisfaction, that a teacher/guru can be important.

And, once again: Buddhism is not an intellectual exercise, it is a practice. So: Practise, practise, practise!

And that can be done within the context of the Mass as well as in the context of temple services.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Doc, you're in a very difficult position but handling it exceptionally well. Please keep us updated on how things develop regarding this issue if you don't mind. I think a lot of people will find it helpful in their own personal struggles with finding religious acceptance from families who only see one path.
  • edited June 2005
    I have been mainly asking my sister the tough questions seeing as she is the only one to have the most time to do so. I ask her questions like why I need God and whether her religion is the true one. I ended up leaving the debates when I was told that 6+million Jews murdered in the Holocaust would be going to hell for not believing in Jesus (including the children). Yet I was also informed that God might make exceptions when certain tragedies occur like this.

This is one reason why I struggle with the idea of Christianity. Burn in hell if you reject, go to heaven if you accept. All the while as I search for answers and come up with more questions, several of my friends are looking to Buddhism. They have had similar problems with their religion and they seem to be fond of Buddhism and eastern religions.

I'll continue to keep asking questions because you can never attain the answers of life if you don't ask questions.
    edited June 2005
    I'll continue to keep asking questions because you can never attain the answers of life if you don't ask questions.
    That should be the mantra of our site here, I think. Keep asking questions.
    edited June 2005
    hello Matt, Long time no see! I love the avatar... It makes you look wise, humble and to be revered.... But I had that impression of u anyway.....*wink*! :)
    edited June 2005
    Knight of Buddha,

You may not know it but there are many, many Christians who reject the notion of "damnation" as a reality because of Jesus' own words. We believe in inclusivity and the reality of the message of the basileia (translated often as 'kingdom' but that doesn't mean much today) which we are told is here and now.

Mind you, I've come across more than a few Christian thinkers who hate inclusive Christianity more than they hate unbelievers! LOL
    edited June 2005
    federica wrote:
    hello Matt, Long time no see! I love the avatar
    Thank you, frederica :) I've used it on Short-Media for the past two years and thought it would fit well here. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things here.
  • edited June 2005
    myself i like this site for finding temples and monsateries

http://buddhanet.net/amdir_na.htm
  • edited June 2005
    actually i just did the work for you....heres the Buddhist sites in KY

http://buddhanet.net/americas/usa_ky.htm
  • edited June 2005
    Thank you!! :)
  • edited June 2005
    I really hate to flood this with more about my problems, but I have a similar problem but mine has a twist. My family, immediate at least, are not practicing Christians and my sister is an athiest. My grandmother, whom I love dearly, is a devout Christian woman who believes every word of the bible. In my entire life, she has always been there for me and has never criticized any descions I have made in my life. I would like very much to begin the practice of Buddhism openly, but I am afraid I would disappoint her and because she is the only one in my family that I care much for her opinion, I would like to follow my own path in life without her disappointment. My parents might scold me and I could just explain to them that it was my descision and I would prefer to live life on my own, but I just don't wish to upset my grandmother. Please excuse me if my grammer is a little sloppy, I live in Alabama and I'm out of school so it's a double whammy on the Out O' Practice meter, but I would like some advice. Thanks for help anyone can provide.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Wow. That is a tough one. If your grandmother has never critisized any of your previous decisions what is to say she willl now? Do you have any reason to beleive that she will? Maybe you could guage your parents reaction and that may give you some idea of how she will take it.
    You never know, your grandmother might surprise you. If she has so much faith in the bible she may respect you for your own strong 'faith'.
    Keep us posted... God luck, friend.
    edited June 2005
    Spacey, Dharma searcher,

May I ask some questions? Please ignore them if they are intrusive.

1. Do you go to church with your grandmother, or join her in her devotions?

2. What, precisely, would she notice that is different about you if you were practising Buddhism 'openly'? Can you be identified as a Buddhist in some external way, other than by a calmer mind and greater compassion?

I do agree that deliberately upsetting people, particularly those close to us, is unskillful and to be avoided. Many of the tenets and statements of Christianity (as against 'churchianity') can find their counterparts in the Dharma, so that you may find yourself closer to your grandmother than you fear.
  • edited June 2005
    It would be hard to dissapoint someone you love, especially in that aspect. But I have a strong feeling that if she supports you in everything else, she will support you in this. You'll have faith, and thats what would matter most to her.
    edited June 2005
    The worst dis-service you could do her, is to not now be honest with her... she deserves your candour and sincerity.

"This above all:
    To thine own self be true -
    And it MUST follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

I've said it before (ad nauseam:) but it rings as worthy a dictum now as it did in the 17th century.
    Deep breath shoulders back, and off you go. It's the fear you're afraid of anyway, not the deed itself.... ;):)
    edited June 2005
    Sounds like we have the same grandmother, spacey.

You can be a "gentle buddhist". These are the things that were VERY important to my grandmother:

Her: "Do you believe in Jesus?"

Me: "Of course I do. Jesus was a great man" (not mentioning to her that I don't actually believe that he was divine)

Her: "Do buddhists believe in god?"

Me: "Some do. Being buddhist doesn't mean NOT being christian"

So my point is that you can sort of skirt the issues.. You absolutely shouldn't lie to her, that would be very disrespectful.

Look, you already know that her opinion is going to be probably not so good, and yet you say her opinion is important to you. As with all things, walk the middle path. Maybe it's not even important to bring it up to her.
  • edited June 2005
    I completely understand what all of you have said. Most of this I have considered already, but my major concern still lies with my grandmother. She wishes nothing more than me to lead a happy Christian life. I believe Jesus lived, I believe some stories in the Bible, and I also believe that there may be a God, but for her that might not be enough. If it isn't breaking any rules, I may wait until I am older and my family might be more accepting to tell them of my faith. Also, Simon, no I do not participate in church activities with her, and she would notice that I was a lot calmer, she notices that from the meditation I do now, normally I would be loud and sort of obnoxious, but lately even I have noticed I have calmed down.
    edited June 2005
    I am, once agian, going to recommend Saddhana by Anthony de Mello. It is a book of 'spiritual exercises' based on Eastern practice. Being written by a Christian priest, it is (mostly) acceptable to Christians. It is also a good 'bridge' between Christian and Buddhist meditation techniques.

If indeed, Spacey, your revered grandmother notices that you are calmer and more compassionate, my guess is that she will rejoice!
  • edited June 2005
    Spacey,

You might like "Living Buddha, Living Christ" by Thich Naht Hanh. I found this to be a great book when I was trying to connect my Christian and Buddhist beliefs. Good read and not too long.

The Doctor was Here!
    edited June 2005
    On my own pilgrimage, I have found that Fr Bede Griffiths, despite his spirituality being Hindu Christian, was really helpful in discovering common ground. I still describe myself as a Buddhist Christian because Christianity is an important part of my heritage.

I have found scriptures in the Tanakh and the New Testament which speak to me, in language which is part of me. I love the Gospel of Thomas and I study the 'Gnostic' texts. (There are times, too, when nothing but a bit of Rumi will do, and others when I need the mysteries of Olympus or Asgard.)

After all, what is the aim? What do we practice for? The practice of the Noble Eightfold Path does not bind us to any particular mythology and we are free to choose the myth that fits for us.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I agree with Simon. If people would only understand that Buddhism is not a religion, but a beautiful and peaceful way of living I feel sure more people would accept it. There probably is nothing more open minded than Buddhism.
  • edited June 2005
    Anita - I just want to say that I feel EXACTLY the same way as you in your first post on this thread. I was raised Catholic, but through high school, figured out that was not for me. Then as an adult, I became a Christian, and again decided that was not for me. Then I met my husband, who does not believe in god at all, and "not believeing in god" is very hard for me to accept since that is what I have been taught for the poast 30 years! So now I am on my own "mission" to find out exactly what is right for me, and like you, Buddhism feels very right to me. So I just wanted to let you know, you are not alone! I feel the exact same way as you do!
  • edited June 2005
    Knight of Buddha...you definitely are a very smart and "put together" 15 year old. Sorry to hear about the situation you are in. Best of luck with you and your family. Please keep us posted. I am the youngest of six kids, and my entire family is either Catholic or Christian, so I am not sure how they will feel about me studying Buddhism, but I am doing it for ME. I have always "followed" what other family members have told me to do, but now I am doing this for myself, and finding out what is right for me. It is a wonderufl feeling to not just be a "follower"! I hope you feel the same way.
    edited June 2005
    Have you seen The Life of Brian? There is a wonderful scene where Brian tries to persuade the crowd of deluded followers that they must think for themselves.

I despair of the teachings that turn 'Jesus people' into followers. It isn't his message at all; it turns the liberation of metanoia into the servitude of adherence. I suppose I should give up and simply take Refuge in the Triple Jewel; forget about all the deluded Christians who read the same texts as I but who find there the opposite message. After all, who am I to tell them that they are wrong and I am right?

I am like a survivor of child abuse: I know that my parent churches did terrible things to us, but I still insist on trying to see the best in them!
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited July 2005
    The actual conversion is in the heart. :) There are actually Christianity-at-heart in Buddhist communities and vice versa. They are just labels. :)
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I'm really glad how many Christians have dared to venture into Buddhism. I'm having a hard time in my country trying to reteach the real teachings of Buddhism to my friends, instead of the very much Taoist Buddhism they know. And the Protestant Church in Singapore is a strong force. Grab one guy into church, give him three seconds, he walks out, he's a Christian. I bet if my friends know more about the real Buddhism they'd prefer it to Christianity.

The most common problem I face in introducing Buddhism to Christians is often "No, I'd not like to listen to anything that pulls me away from Him." or "I trust my God", when actually I know they simply fear converting and "backstabbing" their Christian friends. Note that I know that I'm not supposed to force them to convert unlike Christianity.

If you do not believe in God, but is scared to believe in him, don't give a damn, just convert. Why fear him if you don't believe in him?