Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Compassion is Strength

novaw0lfnovaw0lf Veteran
edited November 2011 in Arts & Writings
Another article that I wrote, though this one wasn't for a grade. I just wrote this one as a blog a little while ago. I was wondering what you all may have thought about it. By no means is anything that I'm saying truly original; many others have said the very same or similar things generations before I have...but I do speak/write entirely from personal experience, and I take pride in that:

Compassion is Strength

Kindness doesn’t have to equate to weakness.

How to be nice and keep the girl, how to love and be loved in return.

The greatest acts of love, devotion, and selflessness are only attainable after we believe in the value of our own self-worth; desiring to be so benevolent for our loved ones is detrimental without the courage to love ourselves, first. If we squander ourselves for a love that isn’t returned, we lose out on opportunities where we could have done so much more with someone else that could have made us happier. I spent four years of my life devoting every drop of energy I possibly could into a relationship that was unhealthy; I walked with such tunnel vision, that I unintentionally ignored someone that meant the world to me, and lost them by taking them for granted. I learned that if I had valued myself more at the time, I would have been able to see who really should have mattered…and devoted myself to someone more deserving in what could have been a fruitful relationship. Misplaced selflessness is the destruction of all true love; where we are selfless for one who is selfish, we ourselves become selfish to those would otherwise dedicate their lives to us.

Being Yourself

We should never be afraid to be ourselves, in even our most vulnerable of moments; the energy that we project attracts those who should be in our lives, and rappels those who shouldn’t. It doesn’t matter what kind of a weirdo you are, or brainless jock, or super-geek…it doesn’t matter how much money you make (or don’t make), what size your rims are, what you look like, or how much you weigh; when we acknowledge our weaknesses and strengths with pride instead of trying to hide them, we live our lives without hypocrisy and walk the true definition of humility…even if our greatest fault is arrogance. If you’re truly afraid that the person you’re after won’t like you for you, then acknowledge that you have a physical attraction, a lust at best, and move on. True love is better than blind to our faults; it’s proud of them. If we muster the courage to accept the consequences of being ourselves openly, with the fortitude to endure the negativity we once fought so hard to avoid, no one could be more attractive, no one could have a better story…even if being yourself means to rebel.

Line Up Your Life

Where we’re going in our lives gives place and purpose to those around us; ask then, if who we love supports our mission, or antagonizes it. This is the key to identifying who our true friends are, and who our true loves are. The strength of our convictions demands the respect of those who experience them, whether or not they like or dislike you; vile words and vindictiveness are never necessary when we simply exercise the right to leave our unhealthy relationships, or disconnect bad influences in our life. A man or woman who is on their purpose knows who belongs in their life, and who shouldn’t…and because of this, they can differentiate between love and lust. Love is what supports us in all ways; lust is what supports us in one way.

We are what we allow in our lives. Compassion has no bearing on our personal boundary.

Setting Priorities

We only have but so much energy to devote to our passions, work, romances, and friends; knowing exactly which are the most important to you, and in what order, will make many decisions in life easy. Even if those who don’t understand you may criticize your decisions, two people who’ve lived two entirely different lives value certain things more than others for their own reasons, and must forgive each other if they would play the game of each other’s lives differently. What we hold as number one priority in our lives, we are the most selfless to, so choose carefully and forgive yourself when what you value least falls to the wayside.

In my life, I’ve learned that we can be compassionate creatures full of life, honesty, forgiveness, and benevolence…regardless of whatever religion, creed, or philosophy one may follow. Compassion is strength, because there is no greater struggle in life than to be a truly kind person; so long as we value ourselves equally, there is no limit to how much we can love another. Even if this means knowing when to say goodbye.

Comments

• I'm aware that this article jumps hits many different points that could be elaborated on, enough even to possibly write a book. But I wanted to keep the article as short and to the point as possible. I figured I'd elaborate on some of the sentences in this later on in future articles.
  • Thank you for this thread. Food for thought and definitely something I needed to read.
  • I think you should make posters of that one
    and put it up in every school
    on the face of the earth
    but they might not allow it...
    as most schools are specifically designed
    to teach and promote
    empire over truth,
    all the way down to cheering their little marching armies
    (who are we at war with this week?)
    out on the playfield.