Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Begging buddhist in Thailand

DaeguDaegu New
edited November 2011 in Diet & Habits
Hi
I want to be a beggind buddhist in Thailand.
I want to experience this way of life.
What should I do, please tell me.

Comments

• Okay, firstly where do you live now? Secondly how old are you and have you been to south east Asia before? Have you had any practice or study of buddhism before this post?
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited November 2011
    You have to be 18+ to become a monk.
    Also, it'd probably be best if you learned Thai too. Or at least some phrases.

I think I know one... Saa wat dee, krahp. Or something. I forget what it means. Hello or something. :p
  • lol, oh MG you legend. 'Sa wa dee krub' means hello poilte for a male. A little thai will get you far, also a little pali to go with it. But thai does take a while as it is so different to western languages.
  • Hi
    I have 29 years old and i have been studying buddhism from 2 years. I live in Eastern Europe, in Romania. I never been in Thailand, but i studied a lot about this country.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    When I was 30, I also entertained the idea of going to Thailand to become a forest monk. Of course, I'm a family man, so the idea would have to wait until my kids are adults anyway, but I just wanted to say that even though many people (family, friends, etc) may tell you this is a bad idea, I want to let you know that there are some people out in the world (like me) who think this is a commendable idea. Good luck!
  • May I suggest taking one of the many retreats that are offered in and around Thailand. A month long meditation retreat at one of the larger monasteries would be a good indoctrination on the Thai climate and culture.

I know of a couple in Chiang Mai area... and I also have a good friend that follows the forest monk traditions.

Best wishes, since this would be a huge commitment

Namaste
  • DaeguDaegu New
    edited November 2011
    Would be greate to be a forest monk. I'm a solitary guy, no wife, no kids, and i'm not interested to have them.
  • LOL, same as me my friend. I know a lot of people say when they are youngish-middle aged that they will never have or want kids, but I actually mean it with conviction. Yes I am sure it is a wonderful and unique experience, but it just isn't for me. I would kind of see them as something that would be keeping me back in life and holiding me down if you see what I mean (not being totally cold and emotionless like a robot), I just have plans and want to live life without such a responsibility.

I have this notion that I will one day become ordained because I have seen within my own practice throughout the last three years, that the more I gain insight and knowledge, the more it seems obvious for me to become a monk. It is just a matter of when the conditions are right I guess.

The ideas and thoughts you have of being a forest monk will most likely be slightly different in reality to say the least. That is not to say that you may not end up really being suited to it, just things rarely turn out in the way that we imagine. Good luck to your path though :)
  • go to thailand and start begging
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited November 2011
    A wise person once said, "you need to know how to be a good lay person before you become a good monk".

It doesn't mean you have to get married and have kids.

But it will test your seriousness to the limit. Shaving your head and starting begging in some Asian country can be an easy cop-out.

I'm not saying this is your case, but this is a case that happens often enough. imo.
  • A wise person once said, "you need to know how to be a good lay person before you become a good monk".

It doesn't mean you have to get married and have kids.

But it will test your seriousness to the limit. Shaving your head and starting begging in some Asian country can be an easy cop-out.

I'm not saying this is your case, but this is a case that happens often enough. imo.
    Thanks.