Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kadampa Buddhism.....

edited March 2006 in Sanghas
I've found a centre very close to my home, beginner sessions in meditation each week so I can begin this week.

Does anyone out there also attend Kadampa Centres, or know any good reading about this, links for information, experiences gained from their classes etc.?

Early days for me , but looking forward to my journey.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Welcome to the forum Linda.... nice to have you with us.
    We hope you enjoy contributing and taking part.
  • edited March 2006
    Hi Linda,

Good to see you here. The New Kadampa's are what are referred to as a 'problematical' tradition and generally they're not recommended. By all means go and see for yourself but I'd also balance that with attending other centers from more mainstream Buddhist traditions. These links may be of use:

Rick Ross Cult Information Site

The NKT and the Dorje Shugden Controversy

Newsweek Article on the connections between NKT and assasinations of followers of the Dalai Lama
  • edited March 2006
    Thanks Zenmonk,
    Exactly what I was looking for, some direct advice. Yep, will take a look - I'm a very open to ideas person but my valuable gut instinct will be ready to evaluate and guide me.

Useful links, thanks will read up. In my local town, we also have a Buddhist Temple so will check that out as well.
  • edited March 2006
    That Newsweek article left me speechless. Knowing nothing about Buddhism until a year ago, I am still trying to navigate my way through the various traditions.

Thank you for opening the door a bit.

PS. I am currently looking into Kagyu, and Nygma (sp?)....and some of the more popular Lamas give me the creeps (I won't mention who...just weird vibes). Any suggestions on readings/news/history for these traditions would be welcome.

thank you
  • edited March 2006
    In my experience, both the Kagyu and Nyingma are among the more 'direct' of the Vajrayana traditions, both of them being among the oldest Tibetan Buddhist traditions and both emphasising meditation. I'm not aware of any particular problems with them as traditions, though there are I think individual teachers who have been controversial - such as Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, and I would hesitate for various reasons to recommend Ole Nydahl, of the Karma Kagyu. However, within the same tradition - Karma Kagyu, there are excellent teachers such as Ane Pema Chodron. This site seems to give a good, though brief, overview of the major Vajrayana schools:

Tibetan Buddhism
  • edited March 2006
    I stepped away completely from Buddhism for months, a couple of years ago, after reading some things about Ole Nydahl and some of his views on his site and elsewhere (the only thing I remember now had to do with Islam). That was drastic and perhaps a mistake, but I had no one to talk to who might know more about it and it troubled me a great deal that someone like him would be as respected and reach as high within his tradition as he seemed to be and have done.

This wariness of him was almost purely instinctive so probably can't be trusted, but it is a little reassuring to know that others may have hesitations about him though their reasons are most likely more solid than mine.
  • edited March 2006
    I suspect they're pretty much the same reasons Aquula. I would say that your instincts were spot on this time.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    One of my Shiatsu Teachers had two adages which he claimed had always stood him in good stead:

'In the struggle between Power and Patience - always bet on Patience.'

.....and the second was -

'When considering Logic and Instinct - listen to the Instinct first.'

I have to say, whilst I did not, at the time, think this to be a reasonable argument, I have since found him to have been absolutely spot-on.
  • edited March 2006
    I'll copy those quotes somewhere to remember.
  • edited March 2006
    Hi Linda,
    I have a big problem with Kadampa.
    I wish to warn you. The NKT are outside the mainstream of the Buddhist belief system and their methods of practice have come into question when they have been put in the spotlight.
    They worship Dorje Shugden who seem's to be a evil spirit. There is a believe that some of their follower's were responsible for the strange and brutal murders of two of the Dalai Lama's closest aides.
    I have visited the NKT and was very concerned at the physical and mental state of the people who were "living in".

Please think very carefully about this path as many believe they are nothing but a cult.

I am only saddened that other members on this site saught to sit this one out.

Shame on you.

Anyways Linda take care,

HH