Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hi

edited March 2006 in Buddhism Today
Well Im new to the forum (not sure if I should post this somewhere else).
Anyway I discovered this forum from a friend on another forum, I wouldnt say I was a serious buddhist, but I meditate, and follow the precepts as best as I can.

As a subject matter:
Remember the days (about 5/6 years ago) when you could wave to a complete stranger on the street and they would just wave back with a smile, just being a nice human being?
Nowadays, you do that you either get a weired look or at worst beaten up.
Whats happened to society to make people so uptight?
Maybe cause its no longer considered "cool" to wave and be nice to people, but whats cooler than that anyway? :confused:

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Hi Akuma and welcome!

As for society, I've no idea why it's changed but it's definately a shame.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Hi Akuma and welcome!

Unfortunately, where I've lived, I've never known this to be true. :(

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    Welcome, Akuma.

Not sure what has happened to society either, but it is sad. I still wave and say hi to people ALL the time, so I am sure people think I am crazy. I just smile and say "Have a great day!". :)
  • edited March 2006
    Hi Akuma - oh that is sad. We can still get away with saying hello to everyone known or not in my village and I smile at everyone in town .... ain't got arrested yet, but I wouldn't try it in Paris!
  • edited March 2006
    Wow, the reply rate here is pretty fast, and Im glad you are all aware of this, and Im also glad Im not the only crazy one here.

I should fit right in :cheer: :bigclap:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    hello Akuma.... Welcome....
    Was Sangha the friend who recommended you?

Nice to meet you! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Akuma wrote:
    Wow, the reply rate here is pretty fast, and Im glad you are all aware of this, and Im also glad Im not the only crazy one here.

I should fit right in :cheer: :bigclap:

Did you ever get THAT one right, Akuma. :grin:

Welcome!!

Brigid

P.S. I live in a TINY, little place and when we go into town we smile and wave at everyone and they all smile and wave back. But that's because we know everyone! LOL! You can still do that in the big cities in Canada, too, and they won't lock you up.
  • edited March 2006
    federica wrote:
    hello Akuma.... Welcome....
    Was Sangha the friend who recommended you?

Nice to meet you! :)

The friend that gave me the link to this site was Harlen on another forum, though Im not sure its the same Harlan. :type: