Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

what is the meaning of my life?

edited November 2011 in Buddhism Basics
sometimes i wonder what is the meaning of life and especially of my life, what sense it is making in the big order of things, are there techniques to explore the questions in the buddhist way?if i have this interrogation: why am i here and what am i here for? how to find an answer?

Comments

• You're here for your own spiritual growth and to show kindness to others in a cruel world.
  • sometimes the world is not so cruel still!maybe we are here to show kindness to each other, and also to receive it!interdependance !, to give is also to accept to receive so that the other also can give!
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited November 2011
    I'm not really sure Buddhism has an answer for this one. For myself, I generally like to rephrase it 'as what gives life meaning?'
  • Buddhism's answer probably would be: the quest for Enlightenment.
  • The meaning of life is to reproduce and/or to help others to reproduce.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    I somehow think that this question simply does not fit into the equation, so to speak. But I can't seem to elaborate or explain further what I mean.
  • It's not about meaning. Nature isn't about meaning. What's the meaning behind volcanos.

Depressing I know. Or....consciousness is become aware of itself through you?
  • The meaning of life is to reproduce and/or to help others to reproduce.
    Speak for yourself.

• There is no meaning. There is no here.

Accept that:

Form is emptiness and emptiness is form.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Meaning unfolds in the nature of mind. But there is no fixed point. It is alive and unfolding. Yielding yet able to overcome. Like water it flows. Like earth it is substantial. Like fire it warms the spirit. Like air it clears anew. Like space it is the same everywhere. Ungraspable yet weaving dreams.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Only you know the answer. Seriously...Just have to relax and just pay attention to self, surroundings and all that is you.
    The meaning of life is to reproduce and/or to help others to reproduce.
    Speak for yourself.

HAHA!:)
    There is no meaning. There is no here.

Accept that:

:)
    Meaning unfolds in the nature of mind. But there is no fixed point. It is alive and unfolding. Yielding yet able to overcome. Like water it flows. Like earth it is substantial. Like fire it warms the spirit. Like air it clears anew. Like space it is the same everywhere. Ungraspable yet weaving dreams.
    Love it!
  • sometimes i wonder what is the meaning of life and especially of my life, what sense it is making in the big order of things, are there techniques to explore the questions in the buddhist way?if i have this interrogation: why am i here and what am i here for? how to find an answer?
    That's for you to decide. Anyone can live a meaningless life, and many people do. If you want your life to mean something, you create meaning by your actions. It's your decision. So I can only ask, what do you want to do with your life? What do you want to leave behind when this life is over? Now do it. That is where you find meaning.

Accept that:

Ultimately yes, but to get that realisation we need to use conventional truths. And Dakini provided that conventional truth:
    You're here for your own spiritual growth and to show kindness to others in a cruel world.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2011
    No Meaning is True Meaning!!! :)

Accept that:

because there is no meaning, there is only meaning.

there is someone here, just dependently originated, thus ungraspable.

careful not to fall into nihilism.
  • Looking for meaning to life is suffering - 1st NT
    The cause is craving for an answer - 2nd NT
    The end of suffering comes when the search for the answer ends - 3rd NT

"why am i here and what am i here for?" Who is asking whom this question?

"How shall I get liberation?"
    "Find out who has bound you," said the Master.
    The disciple returned after a week and said, "No one has bound me."
    "Then why ask to be liberated?"
    That was a moment of Enlightenment for the disciple, who suddenly became free.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    There is no meaning behind all this. I hold evolution to be true, as such I believe we are essentially animals with higher brain functions. What meaning is there to find in this? Does a chickens life have a purpose or some grand meaning? With that being said doesn't mean we can't seek and understand after the truth. For me that I am an evolved creature is a truth and so is everyone else. In knowing this, understanding behavior, even the most horrible or selfish beharior, is easy. Most people act from a selfish perspective because we are a type of animal. All the "bad" attibutes of people such as anger, greed, self-centeredness are part of our instincts, because we are a type of animal. These things are initially protective mechanisms, that often get way overblown or used. They are no worse or better than the "good" attibutes of people. I think part of the problem stems from the idea that we are some sort of special creation and should act accordingly. We get dissapointed and hurt when people don't conform to that expectation. Knowing this and not holding to our expectations makes things far easier. I think the most important thing in all this is to understand the Three marks of existence and how our actions shape our future. I am here, I live now, nothing will stay the same, nothing is I or mine, forgetting these things will result in my suffering, and I will be the owner of my actions.
    All the best,
    Todd
  • B5CB5C Veteran