Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just bought "The Upanishads." Have anyone read it? Also, "The Bhagavad Gita."

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited November 2011 in Faith & Religion
Just bought "The Upanishads." Have anyone read it? Also, "The Bhagavad Gita." Has anyone read any of them? Thoughts, Feelings??

Comments

• Follow the green glass and see where it leads.
    They thought of themselves as gods over one another
    and over their world, you know,
    but by the time they thought to question that, it was too late,
    as they had become death, the destroyer of worlds,
    but they left us the right questions
    follow the green glass.

They were us once.
    We too think of ourselves as gods over our world and one another.
    We've not learned.
    Maybe nobody really learns until everybody learns.
    We too have turned the desert to green glass.

The questions haven't changed in all this time.
    It's time we answered them
    each and every one of us
    before it's yet again too late.
    Earth abides.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    Meka sure you've got good translations.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    i have read Bhagwad Gita - it is the ultimate book for humans - just check the interpretation, consider the dualism as single identity - the interpretation you have got may show that God is Lord Krishna referred to as Parmatma and human souls as Atma as two differnt entities, even though Atma being a part of Parmatma, but viewed as slightly different so dualism - some interpretations consider Atma as Consciousness as part of Parmatma as Universal Consciousness, so they are one and the same thing.

you can consider there is no dualism as they are one and the same thing - Consciousness, so no dualism, and try to understand Gita.
  • it is still dualism covered in "non dualistic" concepts.
    grasping at an universal consciousness or Absolute God consciousness is still grasping.
    i've studied and read the bhagavad gita. it is good stuff but i have learned that it is impossible to deconstruct from a buddhist point of view.

but that may be my limitation =].
  • the Gita is a must read for any spiritual seeker, Buddhist or otherwise. lots fo valuable stuff to be learned in there.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Follow the green glass and see where it leads.
    They thought of themselves as gods over one another
    and over their world, you know,
    but by the time they thought to question that, it was too late,
    as they had become death, the destroyer of worlds,
    but they left us the right questions
    follow the green glass.

They were us once.
    We too think of ourselves as gods over our world and one another.
    We've not learned.
    Maybe nobody really learns until everybody learns.
    We too have turned the desert to green glass.

The questions haven't changed in all this time.
    It's time we answered them
    each and every one of us
    before it's yet again too late.
    Earth abides.
    That was beautiful! Thank you!
    Meka sure you've got good translations.
    Eaknath Easwaran!:)
    Anyone else?
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    edited November 2011
    I love the Bhagavad Gita. I haven't read the Upanishads yet.
    I love the Bhagavad Gita. I haven't read the Upanishads yet.
    :) Thank you!
    edited November 2011
    @LeonBasin, have you started reading the Gita? I am looking for a good accessible translation without a sectarian bias. Everywhere the ISKCON's version seems to be most popular. I just borrowed a translation by Ranchor Prime from the library and discovered he was a student of Praphupada as well :( How is your translation?
  • Paul, I emailed a friend of mine who is a Vedic scholar with your questions... When she replies I'll post back
  • "I like Prahaladan Mendlekorn, I think he did a translation. I've never read it, but he has an amazing way of wording things in his lectures that make it accessible to everyone. I suggest looking it up somewhere to see if his translation would be fitting, maybe amazon has a 'look inside this book' or something. He was a student of Satchidananda, but his style of sharing his teachings is not very doctrinal or rigid. Also, Eknath Easwaren's translation of the Gita is amazing, just like everything else he has written. It is also very accessible, almost poetic in nature. It isn't going to give you any type of word-for-word, but it is a clear translation of the essence, and his commentary in all things is invaluable. He did a translation of the major upanishads too, and wrote several books on them which are priceless to me"
  • I have read both and will always re-read them on a annual basis... Each time I pick up new learnings. But I agree on the translation being important, these where the translations recommended to me by my teacher:

Bhagavad Gita: The Song of God
    translated by Swami Prabhavananda and Christopher Isherwood

Upanishads: Breath of the Eternal
    translated by Swami Prabhavananda and Frederick Manchester

Thank you @ajnast4r and @I_AM_THAT - will check them out.
    @LeonBasin, have you started reading the Gita? I am looking for a good accessible translation without a sectarian bias. Everywhere the ISKCON's version seems to be most popular. I just borrowed a translation by Ranchor Prime from the library and discovered he was a student of Praphupada as well :( How is your translation?
    I have not started it yet, still reading: The Upanishads.(Not reading, studying) (meditation on it) I suggest translations by: Eaknath Easwaran
    Paul, I emailed a friend of mine who is a Vedic scholar with your questions... When she replies I'll post back
    Interesting! Thanks!