Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Vegetarianism

edited December 2011 in Diet & Habits
Is everybody here vegetarian or vegan? Am I the only meat eater? How exactly does eating meat or not apply to Buddhism?

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure most people on NewBuddhist are meat eaters (correct me if I'm wrong).
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I was a vegetarian for a while. I eat meat now but try to keep it to a small amount and generally say a little prayer of reflection on the animal that I'm eating.

Most Tibetans are meat eaters as farming on the Tibetan plateau isn't really possible.

The monastic rules that the Buddha laid down are for people not to kill their food or to eat meat that they know or suspect was killed specifically for them to eat. Its supposedly ok to eat meat thats killed for general use though.

However there's a lot of debate about eating meat in any manner adds to the number of animals killed. Also the modern day factory farms are dreadful places and a buddhist sensibility would probably want to not contribute to that.
  • I was vegetarian for 16 years however I read a book that explained the blood types and best diets and guess what? The high protein, low carb diet is best for me. I feel sooo much better. I consider it medicine and treat it with respect when i eat meat, but the difference in everything for me is substantial.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Is everybody here vegetarian or vegan? Am I the only meat eater? How exactly does eating meat or not apply to Buddhism?
    It depends on what type of Buddhism you are talking about. It is quite prevalent in Mahayana, especially Chinese traditions, but not so much in Theravada and Vajrayana. It varies a great deal.

• The Karmapa some time ago encouraged his 'flock' or rather mandala to consider vegetarianism to create some specific karma that might be needed in some way, not sure how he was aware of this? Anyhow he didn't just say black and white to start vegetarianism. He gave several options such as a day of the weak or during holidays or even just to take the time to mindfully consider the idea of vegetarianism. I believe all of those could potentially be done sincerely and thus create the good karma.
  • Im vegetarian for 2 years soon. I dont eat meat, or better described my little friends, cause it makes me sad to eat my friends
  • I can't see anything wrong with eating meat. It's part of the natural order of things. Animals eat other animals to survive. More so then that, our bodies are designed to be omnivorous. We need essential nutrients we get only from meat based sources.

That being said I think it is very important to consider where your meat comes from. Person is extremely right when talking about the terrible conditions that most modern factory farms have. I would suggest just trying to buy organic wherever possible if you can. You can even research the company that you bought it from to see if they truly do respect they're product. The internet is an amazing thing!

Lastly I think Jeffrey's mention of taking a day or week or what have you to devote to mindfully consider the idea of vegetarianism is a great idea! I had never heard of or considered this before, but I think I may work it in to my practice to take a day or so out and meditate on how thankful I am to our animal friends for allowing me to go on living.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I eat meat once or twice a week. I am working on becoming a vegetarian. It's hard! Anyone have suggestions for recipes? A website, books or a blog?

Thanks,
    Leon
  • edited December 2011
    Ive been vegan for awhile. Not because of my practice mandates it, but because animals dont belong in cages. period. There are alot of misconceptions and lies generated about the woes of not eating meat. I suggest you research the topic before making any decisions. And remember when reading "studies and research", follow where the money leads. Ask yourself "who benifits from this?" If its not you, and its a corporation, I would be cautious about that information. Look at the demographics when it comes to heart desease, and cancer compared to the demographics of eating meat.
    I would suggest just trying to buy organic wherever possible if you can.

There is overwelming evidence in the US that this is a VERY poorly regulated system.
  • @leon,
    I would be happy to post some recipes! Its alot easier then one thinks to cook a cruelty free meal. I have a few Cookbooks too. I will post the titles in a little bit. Im not home to fetch them at the moment. I will start a new thread tonight that will have some recipes and book titles.
  • @Cosmic_Castaway there are just as many arguments to support that out bodies are not designed to process meat. Our digestive tract is much longer then that of a carnivorous creatures.

If you look at the intestines of a meat eating creature, it is very short, and the stomachs ecosystem is designed to quickly bream down meat, whereas the digestive tract of a human being has a far less corrosive makeup, and a much longer intestines.

Why? Because a higher acidic content in the human stomach would destroy the nutrients found in legumes, many vegetables, and fruits. The longer intestines is meant to fully process food using a much slower process.

So what happens when we eat meat? The meat is not fully broken down in the stomach, and therefore moves into the intestines for the slow food processing our bodies are suited too. The meat often spends enough time in our intestines to begin to literally rot, releasing toxins into the body, causing minor ulcers which further aid in the influence of these toxins, and preventing the proper digestion of other nutrients.

If developments of evolution were to support our consumption of mass quantities of meat, then our digestive systems would more closely resemble that of other meat consuming creatures on earth.

Look at the closest relatives of our species. What does their diet look like? It doesn't contain a lot of meat. And the meat that it does have is not even close to the same type or volume consumed in the average modern man's diet.

Saying you cannot get all the nutrients we need, or that a high protein diet is unachievable through a vegetarian diet is simply false. But because of food marketing in the modern world, it takes more attention to diet and a bit of planning.
    edited December 2011
    We need essential nutrients we get only from meat based sources.

Speaking purely scientifically, that is not actually true. It may have been true at one time in the past, but no longer. :)

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    60 minutes had a good report last week on artificial flavor scientists. Much of their work goes to making unhealthy food even more craveable for people. Though they did also talk about making healthy food more palatable. If they could make tempeh taste good or give fake meat a more realistic taste then I think a vegetarian diet might become more palatable for some.

The main reason I'm not a vegetarian is due to laziness. I'm just not motivated enough to take the time to make vegetarian meals at home that I can take to work and eat cold. I usually eat out during the day and the non-meat options are pretty slim. If I'm working near a buffet its much easier to eat vegetarian, though I generally do still put some chicken on my plate.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I eat meat once or twice a week. I am working on becoming a vegetarian. It's hard! Anyone have suggestions for recipes? A website, books or a blog?

Thanks,
    Leon
    If you're feeling adventurous, you might want to check out some Adventist "meat" products - I grew up on them so I'm biased, but they were invented when the main idea was to avoid meat, rather than be low-fat/ultra-healthy...meaning, they're really yummy ;)

Fri-Chik...Big Franks...Swiss Steak...Skallops...just typing these names makes my mouth water. Fri-Chik is in huge demand by the carnivores in my family (I'm veggie).

The companies are Worthington and Loma Linda; the modern non-Advenist fake meats have also gotten fabulous (Boca, etc.)

My local big grocery stores carries both, so maybe yours will, too, but here's a webpage that includes recipes:

http://www.worthingtonfoods.com/

(Looks like the companies have combined - didn't know that 'til now!)

The Gourmet Vegetarian is also loaded with ideas:

http://thegourmetvegetarian.com/

I come from three generations of vegetarians, and everyone was exceptionally healthy, so I'm sort of biased against the notion that meat is required for health, but as with any diet, getting the right ratios (i.e. starch/veggie) is important!

Good luck on your adventure - a worthy one, in my opinion! Also makes it easier to stay slim, in my experience.

Oh - one last book - Anticancer by David Servan-Schreiber. Fantastic, uplifting read, and addresses food in a big, big way. You can usually get a like-new hardback for like $17.

@leon,
    I would be happy to post some recipes! Its alot easier then one thinks to cook a cruelty free meal. I have a few Cookbooks too. I will post the titles in a little bit. Im not home to fetch them at the moment. I will start a new thread tonight that will have some recipes and book titles.
    Thank you!
    I am struggling, as I don't have much time, but I want to cook veggie meals. This is what I have been eating....Salads, Rice, Frozen Veggies, Nuts, Raisins, Pasta, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Protein Bars, Veggie Patties, Soups, Sushi of course Fruits and Veggies. I think that covers it. Any suggestions? I have been searching and haven't found 30 min veggie meals. Any suggestions? Thank You!:)
  • theotherlaratheotherlara Explorer
    edited December 2011
    Not a vegetarian or vegan. Just a health nut.

I hunt for meat, as well as fish occasionally, and buy locally raised livestock products (meat, milk, eggs). However, the amount of actual meat I eat on a regular basis is very little, and mostly fish or game.

@frequency86 do you by chance have a study to reference for this info/book/article? I'm curious. :)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i've been off and on vegetarian for the past 6 years. for the past year or so, i was trying to incorporate meat into my diet in a way that did not contribute to suffering. i based this upon many monk's policies of accepting meat that was not killed specifically for them. this works for group situations like thanksgiving where partaking in meat does not directly effect the supply/demand for meat (for example, if i eat some turkey, no one is going to go out and buy another one). but i never ordered meat in restaurants/bought it at the store.

but i would say that i just finished my last flirtation with meat. i would have thought that after slowly introducing it to my diet over a year that my body would adjust a little better, but some health problems has convinced me that i just wasn't meant to eat meat. i don't really care though and to be honest, it's sort of a relief to stop straddling the fence. i have also determined that my body is sort of atypical in this way, but whatever... all i can say is that i feel better when i stick to a healthy vegetarian diet. (and yes, 'healthy' is an important word because there's still tons of unhealthy veg items)
  • I never found it hard to find things to cook when I was veggie, but also I was in Boulder CO which is a mecca for health food. there are some foods i can only eat vegie, like lasagna and enchiladas. Eating out was the only challenge or being invited for dinner. Here is one awesome 30 minute vegie meal recipe:

Red beans and rice
    Start the rice first (brown rice may take longer than 30 minutes)
    * 2 cans small red beans (not kidney beans, smaller) drained
    * 2 TBSP soy sauce
    * 1 tsp basil and chili powder
    * 1/2 tsp cumin
    * 1/4 tsp oregano
    * pinch cayenne
    * 1 minced clove garlic

Combine all the above and simmer for 10 minutes. (You can also use dried beans and soak 4 cups water to 1 cup dry beans, cook for 2 hours, you will get about 2 cups cooked beans)

Add
    * 2 tomatoes chopped
    * 2 TBSP olive oil
    Simmer until tomatoes start to break down. Serve over the rice. Really good with some green salad.
  • im vegetarian. I eat meat for special occasions (like friends cook for us when i visit them etc...)

How i see is that i feel guilty if i eat meat.

guilty of killing animals that were grown and suffer their whole life for this only purpose.
    Animals are my friends, if i had a cow i would love her, give her a name and take good care of her, therefore i don't want to give cows suffering and murdering them just so i can taste them if i have another alternative.
    Same with pigs, if i had a pig i would love im, same with chicken... even fish.

I don't eat eggs but i have less of a moral problem eating eggs from free run farms.

also have much less of a moral problem eating meat from animals that have been raised in a farm where they can run around and have a chance to be free and happy.
  • ajnast4rajnast4r Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I've been a strict vegetarian for about 12 years now. I've toyed with the idea of eating fish a few times but decided against. I think that, from a Buddhist perspective, whether you find the teachings allow or disallow meat eating really depend on your interpretations of the 'rules'. I will offer my own opinions up:

"Monks, I allow you fish and meat that are quite pure in three respects: if they are not seen, heard or suspected to have been killed on purpose for a monk. But, you should not knowingly make use of meat killed on purpose for you."

The major point of contention is how "if they are not seen, heard or suspected to have been killed on purpose for a monk" is to be interpreted in the light of the consumer driven mass meat market in the west.

Most Buddhists who eat meat don't see the butcher as falling under this rule because the specific animal has not been killed specifically for you. Or more correctly, because you have not asked specifically for that animal to be killed. I, however, find this to be an incorrect interpretation and kind of along the lines of having a mercenary murder someone and thinking you are not guilty of murder ... Kind of a 'loop-hole' that has opened up in light of a system of food distribution that did not exist in the Buddhas time.

the way I view it is that the animal was killed, specifically for the 'consuming public'... and you, by purchasing, make yourself part of that consuming public therefor directly contributing to the death of animals. the animal was not slaughtered specifically for you by name, but it was slaughtered specifically for you as a consumer who is choosing to buy the meat. therefor I would assume that buying meat in a market does make it 'suspected to have been killed on purpose for you'.

This conclusion can be drawn in positives and negatives:

1) Cow has been slaughtered for consumer. You purchase the meat, therefor making yourself the consumer. Therefor the cow has been slaughtered for you.

2) Slaughter is done only to the point of consumer demand. Therefor the less consumers, the less meat slaughtered. Therefor the act of consumption increases the amount of animals slaughtered, and the act of abstaining from consumption decreases the amount of animals slaughtered.

Even if you disagree with this interpretation, the fact remains that consuming meat contributes to a system that causes the most horrendous suffering imaginable and death of BILLIONS of living beings every year. We can easily see the horrible horrible suffering these animals are subjected to on youtube. Its tough to watch, but imo, is your responsibility if you are consuming meat to understand. To put the unfathomable amount of death in perspective, EACH DAY 23 million chickens are killed in the U.S. for food... that's 269 deaths per second JUST IN THE U.S!

• The act of consumption also raises the price of meat.
  • I eat meat once or twice a week. I am working on becoming a vegetarian. It's hard! Anyone have suggestions for recipes? A website, books or a blog?

Thanks,
    Leon
    Hard? I switched mid day, going straight for 2 years.
  • For me, it started out with noticing that after every time I ate beef, I got irritable or angry. So this year, I gave up beef. As I've got more into Buddhism and become more aware and awake, I've realized that when I consume meat, in some ways, I am consuming the suffering of that animal which leads to my suffering, sometimes in subtle ways. So I started transitioning to becoming a pescitarian (someone who only consumes fish as meat). Then I remembered something that said fish feel pain, so fish suffer too. So now I am transitioning to becoming a strict vegetarian. But of course that leaves dairy and eggs. A lot of dairy cows have to suffer to give milk or are altered with chemicals unnatural to them. I've been eating a hard-boiled egg everyday for breakfast for the past few months and it's been fine. But then I thought about the suffering that goes into it. A mother chicken is forced to breed, then forced to lay her children and then those children are taken away from her, never to be hatched. A lot of suffering goes into one egg. So I will stop eating eggs and dairy and become a vegan. I have vegan friends, I live close to natural food stores and know the restaurants where I can eat.

However, this is only because I have the privilege to do so. I make enough and live in the right place to afford me to do so. Many people around the world cannot and must eat meat and animal products. I do not believe that means they will acquire bad karma. If you can be a vegetarian or a vegan, I say do it. I personally feel better when I don't eat it (and not just emotionally). It is only hard if you do not prepare your meals at the start of the week and go to places to eat without vegetarian or vegan options. Overall, I would say do what feels right to you deep down and what makes you feel optimal. And no, there's not that many nutrients one gets from meat except iron and protein, both of which can be found in many plant sources.
  • @theotherlara There are many articles I've seen on the subject. Not sure if there are books written about this but if you actually start classifying humans as animals, it makes sense to me.

Here is a link camparing characteristics of carnivores, omnivores, and herbivores.

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/natural.html#table

There are also some interesting references here

http://www.discover-yoga-online.com/vegetarian-diet.html

But here is an article where a few experts disagree on this subject. Interesting stuff. You can draw your own conclusion.

http://www.rense.com/general20/meant.htm
  • I was vegetarian for 16 years however I read a book that explained the blood types and best diets and guess what? The high protein, low carb diet is best for me. I feel sooo much better. I consider it medicine and treat it with respect when i eat meat, but the difference in everything for me is substantial.
    Me, too! :)

• SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2011

Thank you!
    I am struggling, as I don't have much time, but I want to cook veggie meals. This is what I have been eating....Salads, Rice, Frozen Veggies, Nuts, Raisins, Pasta, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Protein Bars, Veggie Patties, Soups, Sushi of course Fruits and Veggies. I think that covers it. Any suggestions? I have been searching and haven't found 30 min veggie meals. Any suggestions? Thank You!:)
    Do you have any seitan in your local store (in my fam we call it Satan, lol)? You can get preseasoned ones now, which means fast meals while still having flavor.

If you're a noodle guy (or rice, but takes longer), just grab some seasoned seitan--say Italian sausage seasoned. Boils some water for pasta; in the meantime whack up some veggies. Zucchini and tomatoes are fast and easy.

Fry veggies and seitan together in garlic and oil while the pasta boils, then drain pasta and mix all together--voila! It literally takes only as long as it takes to boil pasta.

Here's a quickstart:

1 package seasoned seitan
    1 tomato
    1 zucchini (or half head broccoli, etc)
    2 cloves garlic
    1/2 onion (optional)
    1/2 pound pasta (or more if you're hungry
    2 tbsp olive oil
    salt & pepper to taste

1. Put pot of water to boil
    2. put 2 tbsp olive oil into frypan on medium heat
    3. chop garlic (and onion) and add to oil
    4. chop zucchini and tomato
    5. turn frypan heat up; add zucchini and seitan to hot garlic oil
    6. add salt and pepper and any other spices (dash of oregano, basil, etc)
    7. a few min before you drain pasta, add tomato to zucchini/seitan
    8. drain pasta; return to pasta pot & add glug of olive oil (prevents sticking)
    9. mix pasta around to coat with oil
    10. turn heat down on veggie pan

You can either mix the veggie/seitan in with pasta, or keep separate.

When veggies are frying, you can add glug of wine--it will splatter and steam, and that makes it even better! It's not good cooking unless it's messy (my dad's silent mantra).

All of this takes only as long as bringing water to boil (abt 10-20 min, and pasta boil time (8-11 min).

You can easily make it an Asian meal by substituting plain seitan, Chinese spices,and adding soy sauce and vinegar when veggies are frying.

To make it Indian, use rice instead of noodles, and add curry powder instead of Italian spices. A few dollops of yoghurt toward end will give it that nice curry "gravy."

Note: if you don't like seitan, you can use extra firm tofu - fry it very hot in the spices so that it gets chewy and flavorful.

Sorry so much verbage...remember this all takes abt 1/2 hr!

• SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Gordon's Quick-'N-Dirty Curry

2 tbsp olive oil
    1 onion
    3-5 cloves garlic
    1-2 tbsp curry powder
    *1/2 tsp garam masala (optional)
    *1/2 tsp cumin (optional)
    1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
    1 package seitan or block extra firm tofu
    1 tomato
    1-2 zucchini
    any other veggies you want
    1 cup yoghurt
    salt & pepper to taste

While rice is cooking, (directions follow recipe):

1. Heat olive oil - medium to medium-high
    2. chop onion & garlic and add to oil
    3. add curry, garam masala and cumin powders & stir around 2 min
    4. add lemon juice (makes spicy steam - turn on fan if necessary)
    4. after 2-3 minutes, add seitan/tofu - raise heat and stir 5 min
    5. add zucchini and/or all other veggies except tomato
    6. fry another 5 min
    7. add tomato
    8. reduce heat and add yoghurt
    9. salt and pepper to taste
    10. the longer you let curry sit, the yummier it will be - add splash of milk or water if it gets too dry

Rice Method A (batchelor method)

Use rice cooker.

Rice Method B (Chinese finger method)

Pour 1-2 cups white Jasmine rice into pot. Shake pan a few times to make rice even and flat. Cover with enough cold water that, when you poke your finger straight down thru water, resting fingertip lightly on rice surface, the water is about 1 fingerjoint deep. Bring to boil (remove finger first). When water has just boiled down and rice surface starts developing little "pocks", turn heat down to low and cover with lid. It will take about 20 min to finish cooking, depending on your rice variety. Check in 20 min; if it's tender to your liking, turn heat low or off, fluff rice up with a fork and set the lid on crooked (to allow it to dry a little).

If you like your rice dryer and less sticky, rinse the rice a couple times before going through the above steps (poor in cold water, rub rice between hands, pour off milky water, repeat).

You'll get very fast at this and the whole thing will take 1/2 hour!

Me, too! :)

Woah, we have a lot in common, Type O?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2011
    From memory, from back in my veggie days:
    Veggie Enchiladas

Chop approx. 6 boiled eggs, a can of chopped olives, 1 cup of grated cheese or more (to taste), salt, pepper, cilantro would probably be good.

Heat a can or two of enchilada sauce. Take corn tortillas, fill each one with spoonfulls of filling, roll up, place in rectangular baking pan, til pan is full. Pour the sauce over everything. Bake at 350 temp. for about 20 minutes in pre-heated oven.

@AHeerdt Yup. Basically Germanic.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2011
    P.S. Veggie "meat" is cheaper than real meat.

My protein-per-meal costs $1-$3, whereas my hubby's costs $3-$8 on average.
  • I will match my vegie enchilidas against yours, bwahaha, (yours sound good too dakini)

Corn tortillas
    tomatoe sauce
    cumin and chili powder
    vegetable oil
    To make the tastiest and soft tortillas for enchilidas put 3 TB of tomato sauce and 3TB vegetable oil in a frying pan with some spices and heat it up. Then fry corn tortillas one at a time for a minute on each side. use a soft style spatula to try and not rip the soft tortillas. cool on a paper plate (the first few get stuck or rip but are good snacks)

Filling:
    black beans
    red onion
    grated cheese
    diced zuchinni
    corn

in baking pan put a little enchilada sauce in the bottom. (I like canned green enchilada sauce) in each tortilla fill about half full with whatever you like, roll up and put seam side down in pan. get them snug in the pan, cover with more enchilada sauce and then bake about 350 until bubbly, add a little cheese on top and 5 more minutes.
  • Yes, I forgot to say, you have to dip the corn tortillas into the sauce first, to kind of soften them up so they won't tear when you roll 'em. And if your vegetarianism doesn't include eggs, you can substitute veggie "meat", or black beans. And I forgot chopped onion, you do include chopped red onion. :)
  • I think that enchiladas are like lasagna and minestrone, they take about anything you want to add in it.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

Thanks,
    Leon
    I eat anything but my favorite dishes are vegitarian. Beetrootcurry is delicious and also dahlcurry. Then there is Jackfruit that many people use as a meat substitute. But sorry I cant make them myself will have to ask mum. :) But I could recommend looking up Sri Lankan cooking.

Oh by the way I think that there is more incitament being a vegitarian if you adher to the Mahayana tradition than the Theravada. I think there are sutras where avoiding meat is recommended but not any suttas.

/Victor

edited December 2011

Oh by the way I think that there is more incitament being a vegitarian if you adher to the Mahayana tradition than the Theravada. I think there are sutras where avoiding meat is recommended but not any suttas.

/Victor

This is from the Lankavatara Sutra:
    (Buddha says) A time may come when deluded people may say that, "Animal flesh is appropriate food to eat, has no karmaic consequences, and is permitted by the Buddha". Some will even say that eating animal flesh can even be medicine. It is more like eating the flesh of your only child. Let a yogi be attuned to what is balanced and nourishing to eat, be adverse to the eating of animal flesh and alcohol, and with this clarity go about peacefully begging for food trusting the universe will supply what is wanted and needed to sustain a healthy life. Animal flesh eating is forbidden by me everywhere and all the time for those who are abiding in compassion. A person who eats animal flesh will be reborn as a lion, tiger, wolf or another kind of carnivore. Therefore, do not eat animal flesh. It will cause terror among people. It will hinder one from learning how to liberate oneself. When a person learns to not eat animal flesh, he or she will have one of the marks of being wise.
    The Nirvana Sutra has similar statements.
    The Buddha continues and says, "There will appear false ascetics, claiming to be spiritual sons and daughters of Shakyamuni, and say, "According to our Vinaya rules, the Blessed One has said that eating alms of cooked animal flesh is acceptable". They will create their own scriptures and contradict each other. There will also appear those who accept raw cereals, animal flesh, fish, do their own cooking and stock pile pots of sesame oil; who visit leather makers, parasol makers, and rulers. Those that I call true monks and nuns are those that abandon such tendences.
  • I have been known to scoff at the idea of not eating meat, but my views are changing and I'm a bit worried about it.

I had zero guilt all my life,,, grew up on a farm, and I was skinning rabbits, scrapping pigs and plucking chickens at the age of 5. But now, damnit, I am not able to look at a piece of meat the same way... I think of the animal and if this is really neccesary, which takes away from the enjoyment of the meal. I haven't fired up our grill in months.

I'm not much of a vege eater to begin with, and I'm thinking about if I could really make the switch... I'm not sure, but perhaps. It feels like I have already started making a slow transition towards no meat... not by choice, but by having a different view of things.
    I'm reading an interesting book: "Monks Cookbook." Link: http://books.google.com/books/about/Monks_Cookbook.html?id=OrUJFcFbmDMC
  • Is it me or does eating meat even under civilized conditions(restaurants) seem vulgar?
    Is it me or does eating meat even under civilized conditions(restaurants) seem vulgar?
    Not just you.
    Is it me or does eating meat even under civilized conditions(restaurants) seem vulgar?
    Not just you.
    If you were to answer truthfully, on scouts honour. Might there be a tad bit of clingin' going on here guys? Maybe just a jiffy?

/Victor

:cool:
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Not just you.
    If you were to answer truthfully, on scouts honour. Might there be a tad bit of clingin' going on here guys? Maybe just a jiffy?

/Victor

clinging to what? compassion for sentient beings? when you view an action as hurtful towards a sentient being, i feel that it can be quite difficult not to be bothered by it... not to see it as vulgar. and even so, why would you want to succeed? is it a goal of buddhism to be indifferent to pain and suffering of sentient beings? (i don't mean this rhetorically, this is a serious question)

i don't think your argument would stand against other things that some in society might describe as vulgar. take murder or pedophilia, for example. i would never say that if someone is bothered by public displays of such things that they were clinging.

obviously, as this board can attest, we could argue until the cows come home about whether or not meat eating truly is vulgar/immoral/whatever. i understand that not everyone on this board views eating meat in this way, but you should understand that the ones that do follow a vegetarian lifestyle are generally motivated out of compassion.
    Not just you.

/Victor

Does cannibalism seem vulgar? If so, is that just clinging?

;)
    Not just you.

/Victor

Not at all.
    Just going with feelings and intuition.

/Victor

Not at all.
    Just going with feelings and intuition.

Thats what I am saying too. lol.

Avijja-paccaya sankhara
    With Ignorance as condition, there are Volitional Impulses.

Sankhara-paccaya viññanam
    With Volitional Impulses as condition, Consciousness.

Viññana-paccaya namarupam
    With Consciousness as condition, Body and Mind.

Namarupa-paccaya salayatanam
    With Body and Mind as condition, the Six Sense Bases.

Salayatana-paccaya phasso
    With the Six Sense Bases as condition, (sense) Contact.

Phassa-paccaya vedana
    With Contact as condition, Feeling.

Vedana-paccaya tanha
    With Feeling as condition, Craving.

Tanha-paccaya upadanam
    With Craving as condition, Clinging.

Upadana-paccaya bhavo
    With Clinging as condition, Becoming.

Bhava-paccaya jati
    With Becoming as condition, Birth.

Jati-paccaya jaramaranam
    With Birth as condition, Aging and Death,

Soka-parideva-dukkha-domanassupayasa sambhavan'ti
    Sorrow, Lamentation, Pain, Grief and Despair.

Evametassa kevalassa dukkhakkhandhassa samudayo hoti
    Thus is the arising of this whole mass of suffering.

Not just you.

/Victor

;)
    Canibalism was along with eating elephant and horse (I think) and the alike prohibited on the grounds that is was offensive to society.

I do not understand why people need to make differences between meats? But they do. To me it is as vulgar to eat one kind of meat compared to eating another. Do you honestly belive that a cow would say "Better eat me instead of one of your own"?

And then again many think themselves better because they avoid meat altogether but never pays a thought to all the myriads of lifeforms that had to give way and die so that they could have their potatoes and grains. Think about how we have changed the face of the earth destroying and indeed anhiliating habitats and whole species in the process.

Hypocrasy!

/Victor
    Not just you.

/Victor

clinging to what? compassion for sentient beings? when you view an action as hurtful towards a sentient being, i feel that it can be quite difficult not to be bothered by it... not to see it as vulgar. and even so, why would you want to succeed? is it a goal of buddhism to be indifferent to pain and suffering of sentient beings? (i don't mean this rhetorically, this is a serious question)

i don't think your argument would stand against other things that some in society might describe as vulgar. take murder or pedophilia, for example. i would never say that if someone is bothered by public displays of such things that they were clinging.

obviously, as this board can attest, we could argue until the cows come home about whether or not meat eating truly is vulgar/immoral/whatever. i understand that not everyone on this board views eating meat in this way, but you should understand that the ones that do follow a vegetarian lifestyle are generally motivated out of compassion.
    You are totally right. I was not being entireley serious.

Peace!

/Victor
    edited December 2011
    Not just you.

/Victor

;)
    Canibalism was along with eating elephant and horse (I think) and the alike prohibited on the grounds that is was offensive to society.

I do not understand why people need to make differences between meats? But they do. To me it is as vulgar to eat one kind of meat compared to eating another. Do you honestly belive that a cow would say "Better eat me instead of one of your own"?

And then again many think themselves better because they avoid meat altogether but never pays a thought to all the myriads of lifeforms that had to give way and die so that they could have their potatoes and grains. Think about how we have changed the face of the earth destroying and indeed anhiliating habitats and whole species in the process.

Hypocrasy!

/Victor
    I understand why people make differences between meats. It's because that is what they were taught to do and they do what they have been told without questioning it. :)

>never pays a thought to all the myriads of lifeforms that had to give way and die so that they could have their potatoes and grains

I'm curious as to how you know what other people think? And many people do think of that and realize that some death is inevitable regardless of how you live.

>Hypocrasy!

Some people call it hypocrisy. Some people call it "being reasonable". The idea that eating grains and potatoes is hypocritical, and not eating meat because you don't want to be involved in killing, is intellectually dishonest and downright nonsensical! Because the only other alternative is to commit suicide by not eating anything, which is literally insane! :) So I guess only the insane people are not hypocrites, ha! Sounds very reasonable! ;)

I understand why people make differences between meats. It's because that is what they were taught to do and they do what they have been told without questioning it. :)
    Yepp. :D

>never pays a thought to all the myriads of lifeforms that had to give way and die so that they could have their potatoes and grains

I'm curious as to how you know what other people think? And many people do think of that and realize that some death is inevitable regardless of how you live.
    It is this supernormal power I share with a lot of people. I talk to others. They tell me stuff. Pretty nifty. lol.

>Hypocrasy!

Some people call it hypocrisy. Some people call it "being reasonable". The idea that eating grains and potatoes is hypocritical, and not eating meat because you don't want to be involved in killing, is intellectually dishonest and downright nonsensical! Because the only other alternative is to commit suicide by not eating anything, which is literally insane! :) So I guess only the insane people are not hypocrites, ha! Sounds very reasonable! ;)
    Now I am thinking you are not thinking straight or is downright ironic?

Not eating meat because it causes pain, discomfort and death to some living beings and then ignoring the pain, discomfort and death to other living beings just so you can eat vegdiet is obviously hypocrasy.

The only other alternative is not to take your life seeker. It is to understand and accept with your eyes open that living in this world in this society is going to cause harm to other living beings no matter what you do.

And please do try to convince me that it is much better to kill 200 mice in a grain field or silo than to kill one cow in a farm...

Or better yet tell it to the mice.

;)

/Victor
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2011
    For what it's worth, I try to limit the amount of meat that I eat; partly because of health reasons, but mainly to lessen my contribution to the direct harm caused to animals via the meat industry. My purchase of meat essentially increases demand; and while I see meat as a viable source of nutrients, as well as something I enjoy eating, I also see how my actions ultimately contribute to their suffering. I notice that whenever I reflect on this fact, I general choose a vegetarian option.
    Food for thought:

How do you value a life of a mouse to a life of a calf compared to your own?

From what perspective? From your own the calfs or the mouses?

Maybe for another thread? Yaa?

Sigh!
    /Victor