Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is Becoming?

VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
edited December 2011 in Philosophy
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.076.than.html

Becoming is a essential part of the DO!(?)

But what is it exactly?

Can anybody give asimple real life example please?

Any thoughts/references would be welcome.

/Victor

And, eh, how do you spell it?

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Anger arises and falls.

Happiness arises and falls.

Out of ignorance we grasp thus suffer.

Out of wisdom we see how things are. Arising and falling. Thus no need to grasp, no need to suffer.

Becoming will always be, but the relationship is what changes.

Thus samsara and nirvana are only seperated by wisdom of clear seeing.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2011
    I suggest checking out Thanissaro Bhikkhu's book, The Paradox of Becoming (pdf).
  • Look into the mirror in meditation...

Look into the mirror in meditation
    and eventually you will see a different face from your own staring back at you,
    followed by another, and another, and another...
    until you see the long line of the thousands of people, male and female, all races, all ages, all languages, all over the world that arose and fell...
    and what they learned...
    what they became.
    They were in a process of becoming...
    you.

My advanced practitioner friend at 70 struck an impossibly balanced yoga pose that I could never even have done at 17.
    "Pretty good, huh?" she asked smiling "I studied no yoga in this life, only in my last life! So practice!" she laughed like a teenager, "practice!"

You once were they, that long line of people staring back from the mirror,
    and yet eventually you grew beyond each of them, beyond all of them,
    to become the you that you are now,
    just as eventually you will grow from here,
    likewise becoming...
    until such time that you will grow even beyond "you" altogether.

Some people believe that Buddhism must be
    all about the emptiness of empty space and annihilation.
    Buddhism is not about the emptiness of empty space and annihilation,
    but about the fullness of growth, of becoming...
    just as time and space transcended
    becomes the Light.
  • I have thought of it as the coming together of that which you craved. Say you crave an impermanent thing. Becoming is when the conditions come together. Then that leads to birth in your mind. Birth is a concretization of an ungraspable non-self conditionality into 'it'. Eventually reality proves that it IS non-self and inevitably we suffer.
  • This world is burning.
    Afflicted by contact,
    it calls disease a "self,"
    for by whatever means it construes [anything],
    that becomes otherwise from that.

Becoming otherwise,
    the world is
    held by becoming
    afflicted by becoming
    and yet delights
    in that very becoming.
    Where there's delight,
    there is fear.
    What one fears
    is stressful.
    This holy life is lived
    for the abandoning of becoming.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/ud/ud.3.10.than.html

There is yet another teaching the understanding of which helps in the understanding of death. It is the Truth of Becoming or bhava, which is a corollary to the Truth of Change or anicca.

Becoming, or bhava, is also one of the factors in the scheme of Dependent Origination. The Truth of Becoming, like the Truth of Change, applies to everything. While the Truth of Change states that nothing is permanent but is ever-changing, the Truth of Becoming states that everything is always in the process of changing into something else.

Not only is everything changing, but the nature of that change is a process of becoming something else, however short or long the process may be. Briefly put, the Truth of Becoming teaches us that: "Nothing is, but is becoming." A ceaseless becoming is the feature of all things. A small plant is always in the process of becoming an old tree. There is no point of time at which anything is not becoming something else.

In truth there are no beings or self since everything is in a state of flux/becoming.
    Victorious
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Thanks guys.
    edited December 2011
    Is it wrong to say that becoming is the elevation/ illusory seperation of the self from the world (object of clinging)?

/Victor
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Adding words, concepts, and preferences to what is naturally pure is “becoming”.
    All talk about the absolute truth (that which is naturally pure) is futile.
    This is the gateless gate; the dharma-door of non-duality.
    Just do the dishes.
  • Thats an interesting take Victor. What you said sounds more like ignorance to me which leads to karma and then name and form??
  • http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.076.than.html

Becoming is a essential part of the DO!(?)

But what is it exactly?

Can anybody give asimple real life example please?

Any thoughts/references would be welcome.

/Victor

And, eh, how do you spell it?

If you meditate, you will see what it is.

Anything else, is just candy. Tasty perhaps but ultimately dissatisfying.

Best wishes,
    Abu
    @zenff. naturally pure = the objective/the unsullied by perception/consiousness?

@Jeffrey: Could you illustrate please?

@Floating_Abu. But I am stuck now in meditation. I need to evolve my understanding. Or could you recomend an exercise to get there?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Victor, I thought that when you said 'illusory separation of self and other'... well that is a description of ignorance itself. Due to understanding impermanence I see that this separation is a delusion. Even the word 'separate' assumes that there are two entities located in space and time apart from eachother. Since everything must interbe we know that the future can be seen in this moment! And we know that self is composed of non-self elements thus the cosmos is contained in everything. This is how that on the tip of a hair there are an infinite number of buddhas.

Thus your description sounded to me more like the 1st link of ignorance. Does that make sense? That is to say I felt you correctly *described* ignorance NOT that your description *was* ignorant,,, hopefully there wasn't a miscommunication of the second.
    Yes I understand you now. It is weird talkning Dhamma using language. :).

And I am sure Ignorance is there as well since the DO nodes are all connected to each other.

But what I mean was that just before there is a sense of ego there must be something to reflect it. That is there must be a percieved seperation of the world and the ego... I dont know. Just thinking out aloud.

/Victor
  • I think there is a sense of ego. From the ignorance we believe we have to get 'things' and have them. Its all a delusion from the beginning because we don't really know what we want anyways. I mean any feeling is impermanent so no matter how much cake we eat we can't 'get' the cake. And indeed we do get the tummy ache!

So I think the sense that we get from this misunderstanding is suffering. When we are eating the cake that is the becoming. But the sense of ego from that is suffering. We are frustrated it has 'become' the moment of getting the cake, but we are dissapointed because the experience is impermanent and until we let go it is suffering. I think you are exactly correct that there is a sense of ego. If there is no ego then we wouldn't get the suffering sense.

It always seems odd to non-buddhist to hear these examples. Why is cake suffering? Why is the vacation being over suffering? It isn't unless there is ignorance -> craving -> becoming -> death... there is no suffering in cake.. or christmas or whatever. Imagine how a kid feels when there sibling *takes* away their cake or their toy? Now that is some suffering ahah. Which relates to another odd teaching in buddhism: children are not innocent. They don't have rigid entrrenched developed egos like adults,, all the ways and fortifications. You know an adult has a sneakier way of acting when they don't get there way. But the kid already has that ignorance and even though they are innocent in a sense they still suffer.

Battery is getting low!

• http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2009/03/on-anatta-emptiness-and-spontaneous.html

There is thinking, no thinker
    There is hearing, no hearer
    There is seeing, no seer

In thinking, just thoughts
    In hearing, just sounds
    In seeing, just forms, shapes and colors.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited December 2011
    @zenff. naturally pure = the objective/the unsullied by perception/consiousness?
    I don’t know what it is.

What we tend to do is; we place concepts on top of concepts and hope that this will ultimately clear things up. But it really is a way of getting alienated.

You started whit asking. What is becoming?
    I think that one way of looking at that is to say that “you”, “me” and the myriad things “become” when we name them. Before we do that there’s just this one thing (for which there obviously is no name).
    After we add words and concepts there is the relative world in which we do well or not and in which things are desirable or not. And there are many more distictions to make.

My understanding of zen-practice is that I try to stay in that undevided, unnamed, natural state of mind a little bit more. Not adding words concepts and preferences to what is. Just staying with it, without doing anything about it and without identitfying with it.

I’m not saying I’m good at it, but it’s my practice.

• @zenff. naturally pure = the objective/the unsullied by perception/consiousness?

@Jeffrey: Could you illustrate please?

@Floating_Abu. But I am stuck now in meditation. I need to evolve my understanding. Or could you recomend an exercise to get there?
    Hi Victorious and thanks for bringing your questions here :)

The question is not 'the question' though. The question is the desire to find that peace. And that desire comes through time, through patience ie the satisfaction of that desire so to speak.

The problem, if I may call it that, of internet forums is it is like a child learning to play a new sport. One person says this, another that, all describing the method of theory when all along, the boy (or girl) just had to keep going - keep practicing.

It is hard in Buddhism sometimes but what is really hard about it? It is our impatience, our desires, our willingness to quench the thirst that cannot yet be quenced.

And that is all fine, and good.. But as some other poster on here often says, it does require patience and some determination.

Meditation is not an overnight sport, it is part of the Eightfold Path and also one requiring a steady consistency, I believe. At essence the teachings are not that hard, be kind, try to be responsible as a person, and do your meditation practice. There are various instructions on the internet depending on your tradition but the essence of the path is the 8Fold, as simple as that may seem.

Perhaps a real life center that offers a progressive, steady schedule and qualified teacher might also be able to help. Internet discussions (like my raff) can help but they can also be confusing when you listen to so many versions.

Just one more opinion :)

Well wishes,

Abu
    Thank you all. I need to think a while.

• From reading the sutta, Bhava or "Becoming" is a form of craving or tanha. The craving for wanting things to be constant or remain the same. An example would be our appearance. We want our appearance to be the same. We do not want to grow old etc.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2011
    When we hear a loud noise startling us it is very scary and the reason is that we dissolve into the noise and that is an experience of losing ego.

When we have craving there is some point where we always want to 'have' the object as separate from ourselves sort of some kind of champion with our spoils. One way to transform craving is through mindfulness. In having the thing we go into the feeling and the senses. If you succeed at that it gets to be an ego loss just like the loud noise. Only problem is that it is a lot of suffering to have these little experiments with craving. So though we realize the third noble truth that we can just drop the 'having' and expand into being the senses and ego death. That experience is so scary that we need our connection to the nourishment of dharma, the eightfold path and fourth noble truth.
  • Upadana leads to what is called “becoming” (bhava in Pali). I like to
    picture this as a rising wave.The mind grabs hold of an experience: “I
    wonder if they need any help down in the kitchen? Yes, I’m sure they
    do. I could peel a chestnut or two. I could really be useful down there.”
    This is upadana.Then bhava is actually getting up off our cushion and
    heading down the stairs. Becoming is aiming toward the object of desire
    and acting on that.
    p. 45, Broad View, Boundless Heart (attached)
    Ajahn Pasanno & Ajahn Amaro

• this should clear everything up.

• this should clear everything up.
    thanks!
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    From reading the sutta, Bhava or "Becoming" is a form of craving or tanha. The craving for wanting things to be constant or remain the same. An example would be our appearance. We want our appearance to be the same. We do not want to grow old etc.

This extract from SN12.2 might be helpful in understanding the process:

"Now what is aging and death? Whatever aging, decrepitude, brokenness, graying, wrinkling, decline of life-force, weakening of the faculties of the various beings in this or that group of beings, that is called aging. Whatever deceasing, passing away, breaking up, disappearance, dying, death, completion of time, break up of the aggregates, casting off of the body, interruption in the life faculty of the various beings in this or that group of beings, that is called death.

"And what is birth? Whatever birth, taking birth, descent, coming-to-be, coming-forth, appearance of aggregates, & acquisition of [sense] media of the various beings in this or that group of beings, that is called birth.

"And what is becoming? These three are becomings: sensual becoming, form becoming, & formless becoming. This is called becoming.

"And what is clinging/sustenance? These four are clingings: sensuality clinging, view clinging, precept & practice clinging, and doctrine of self clinging. This is called clinging.

"And what is craving? These six are classes of craving: craving for forms, craving for sounds, craving for smells, craving for tastes, craving for tactile sensations, craving for ideas. This is called craving.

• Simple answer: Becoming is un-becoming.
  • :eek2:
  • This holy life is lived for the abandoning of becoming.

- Lord Buddha

Loka Sutta