Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Om Tare Tuttare Ture Svaha

heybaiheybai Explorer
edited December 2011 in Meditation
Green Tara Mantra
(for our good friend and her young daughter)

Comments

• Lama Tashi's chanting --

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    A Lama came to my town and taught this mantra. Thank you for posting this! He taught it helps to overcome fear, which he said is rooted in attachment. He taught that sound can help us deal with fear (my own words can't remember exactly what he said) in that sound is something that we commonly experience.

Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
  • It's becoming more common among Chinese practitioners now, too:

Ong Dalie Dudalie Dulie Suoha
  • I used to use that chant(green Tara) along with Om Mani pad me hum. It's a little harder to wrap the tongue around, though.
  • I'm enjoying listening to the Green Tara while I'm at work... very calming
  • Am I hearing this right? Svaha is pronounced "Soha"?
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Generally "swoha," which can sound like "soha," but if you listen closely, many Tibetan teachers are actually saying "swoha."

The "v" in Sanskrit is pronounced (in Sanskrit) at times as "v" or "w" or something in-between.

In the Chinese rendition, "swoha" often becomes straight-out "soha."

Vietnamese shows another historic linguistic trajectory: bà ha

So, in Vietnamese, the "v" (or how they heard it) sounded more like "b."

Rather than being outright "mispronunciations" of Sanskrit, often these things are reflections of a particular Sanskrit dialect.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2011
    I went to visit my parents about 8 years ago, and stayed with them for a month; my father had broken his back, was supine all of that time, which caused problems with his bladder (he'd had prostate problems and the bed rest caused cancerous cells to travel to his bladder, and constituted a danger to him, for which they gave him invasive, painful, unconformable treatment. The poor guy....) The stress and anxiety for my poor mum, caused her to develop shingles. I really hope nobody here ever goes through that - it was a painful distressing living hell for her....
    Anyway, a fortnight into being there, I was so anxious and worried for them both, that one night, I stayed up until the early hours of the morning, and sat in meditation, chanting this Tara mantra, over and over again. At some point, I must have fallen asleep, but I know that when I woke up, the trantra was still playing in my mind, like a piece of music you can't get out of your head.
    I left it playing, unchecked.....

Now, you can make of this whatever you want, I really don't mind.

I'm not sure I want to pin anything on it either - but from the following afternoon, both of them began to improve, and over the next week, they felt better and better every day.
    So much so, that about 10 days later, I felt confident and happy enough to leave them and return home.

And I follow Theravada....
  • Thanks for the story Federica.

Tara works in mysterious ways.

;)
  • I love this, not sure i can listen at home with my internet. I know the Tara thing has struck a cord with me but I have not done any of the mantras as of yet. I truly truly believe that if others are open and willing our mantras can make a huge difference.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Buddha's work to benefit all beings Mantra's are extemly effective, having attained the clairvoyence of the Divine ear anytime you recite they hear and come.
    Thought you guys might like this commentary from Gen-la Kelsang Dekyong.
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    Thank you so much for the beautiful video @heybai - I've been really going through it lately. I chanted along with the video and a profound feeling of calm and peace has descended upon me. Once again thank you.
  • It's wonderful that so many of you enjoy Green Tara. As for Tara being chanted by Maha Chinese practitioners or Theravadins, we shouldn't be surprised.

As a friend has written elsewhere (my slight paraphrase, from memory), "The Buddhas did not come to make us Tibetan, or Chinese, or Thai, or Australian; they came to make us Buddhas."

There is only one Dharma, however many of the 84,000 Dharma gates we may discover.

Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
    Thanks again, Sile!

• Thought you guys might like this commentary from Gen-la Kelsang Dekyong.
    Caz, This vid link isn't working for me. Could it only be available in the UK?

• heybaiheybai Explorer
    edited December 2011
    I went to visit my parents about 8 years ago, and stayed with them for a month; my father had broken his back, was supine all of that time, which caused problems with his bladder (he'd had prostate problems and the bed rest caused cancerous cells to travel to his bladder, and constituted a danger to him, for which they gave him invasive, painful, unconformable treatment. The poor guy....) The stress and anxiety for my poor mum, caused her to develop shingles. I really hope nobody here ever goes through that - it was a painful distressing living hell for her....
    Anyway, a fortnight into being there, I was so anxious and worried for them both, that one night, I stayed up until the early hours of the morning, and sat in meditation, chanting this Tara mantra, over and over again. At some point, I must have fallen asleep, but I know that when I woke up, the trantra was still playing in my mind, like a piece of music you can't get out of your head.
    I left it playing, unchecked.....

Now, you can make of this whatever you want, I really don't mind.

I'm not sure I want to pin anything on it either - but from the following afternoon, both of them began to improve, and over the next week, they felt better and better every day.
    So much so, that about 10 days later, I felt confident and happy enough to leave them and return home.

I also find this rendition catchy. I found myself chanting it during a hike in the hills last week, only my dog and the monkeys (in the hills for once, and not the one that inhabits my mind :-) ) listening along.

We meditate to wake up, not to sleep, but I also actually also enjoy falling asleep to Dharma chants and music. Meditation is about the focus of our attention, and a form attention obtains even when we sleep.

I don't think we need to feel at all apologetic about the consolatory aspects of Buddhism. We turn to these compassionate beings during moments of great distress and pain for good reason -- they are always there. They are always *here*.

Dharma practice oughtn't be a military boot camp. Dharma practice ought to bring softness and gentleness to our lives, even when it calls for discipline and exertion...

• SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Dharma practice ought to bring softness and gentleness to our lives, even when it calls for discipline and exertion...

Love the way you put that!

• I accept that mantras have many positive qualities and can be used in many situation (federica's story was lovely), but I get a little confused when it comes to actually merely listeneing to them as music for pleasure of to find peace. I say this because the buddha also taught that we should not find any sound either pleasurable or displeasing. Chating the mantra is not listening, that is obviously a form of practice, but I refer to if you merley open it up on youtube and just listen to it.
    Thought you guys might like this commentary from Gen-la Kelsang Dekyong.

Works fine for me anyone else ? :)
    Doing morning Tara Puja now :)

• I don't know what textual source/sutra this might refer to, Tom, but I would guess that the Buddha was advising us to become neither attached to nor adverse to any particular sound or music.

I consider recitation, whether done silently or aloud, to be a form of mediation since one's attention is placed on the mantra or dharini as an object just as one might the breath (for example) while one says, chants or sings.

Listening may be different, but consider the forms of listening -- if it is background noise the mantra isn't particularly garnering our attention. If we are listening intently, then it is like anything else -- it enters our mind and we mentally interact with it. If one already knows the content then this type of listening automatically becomes a kind of recitation since the mind is anticipating the syllables before and as they occur.
  • Thought you guys might like this commentary from Gen-la Kelsang Dekyong.

Works fine for me anyone else ? :)
    Doing morning Tara Puja now :)

It's working for me now, Caz. I think my connection must have had a kink somewhere upline earlier in the morning.

Hope the Tara Puja is a good for you...

• I got it from a sutra heybai. He mentioned all of the 5 senses, hat we should not find any smell discusting nor should we find it pleasant etc. Yes, it obviously relates to how we would become attached to our surroundings, but then if you went about life doing exactly that, you would be one hardcore buddhist.
  • I'm so glad I stopped by and saw this! I really like Tara. When I was first investigating Buddhism I heard the mantra and it really stuck with me.
  • heybaiheybai Explorer
    Ito Kayo's rendition --

• heybaiheybai Explorer
    Ani Choying Drolma's --

• heybaiheybai Explorer
    Here's another variant of the first post on this thread. Nice video:

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited August 2012
    A nice graphic. (Click to enlarge)
  • SileSile Veteran
    Ani Choying Drolma's --

Beautiful - thank you, @heybai!