Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

We would rather you not....

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited December 2011 in NewBuddhist.com
Not new to Buddhism. Not new to the internet. Definetly new to blogging. Any do's or dont's I should know? Cheat sheets? Are there things you would rather me not do?

Comments

• I will go first,lol!

I am interested in hearing what the mods have to say on this.

Personally, I see a lot of requests for advice here, often times it is very serious stuff worthy of seeking out a professional...substance abuse,domestic abuse, mental illness,suicidal thoughts, and so on.

There comes a point at which someone should accept the advice of seeking therapy, rather than continually coming here to vent. Most of us are not professionals,and often feel helpless in responding to someone in pain, even though as compassionate individuals we are compelled. Even when we do not agree.

There are also times I feel we are being used by members who want to complain about, and not actually DO something about their situations, Facebook is better utilized for that - though on my Facebook it's not tolerated all that well. Shrug.

Not to do...don't stop being curious, there is much to learn from some of the members here.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Behave as if you were in the home of a respected maiden aunt whom you suspect is going to leave you a shedload of money..... :p

Seriously?
    Conduct yourself with respect, consideration, mindfulness and keep a clean mouth.

Normal rules of social interaction apply.
    There are no hard and fast rules, because frankly, if you're an adult, you should have gathered enough information oh how to behave, by now, anyway.
  • I would hope the basic guidelines about behaving with respect, consideration, etc. also apply to the mods. Occasionally it doesn't seem like it.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Nor does your maiden aunt, but she does keep a tidy home! :p
    Hi @vastminds. Welcome to our community. I really appreciate you going out of the way to ask about etiquette here. It's refreshing :)

Basically, as @hubris mentioned, not trying to use this community as a source of free therapy or as a suicide watch would be greatly appreciated. We're just normal people. As @federica mentioned, being polite is really about it.

Welcome to Newbuddhist!
  • Hubris and Brian have pretty much already said it. Threre are a few, usually the same ones over and over, who just love to hear themselves go on and on, asking not so bright questions to bait the other members. The mods are fine and do a good job (mostly) Generally if we could eliminate the category of general banter, it would solve a lot of problems.

I think if you stick mostly to buddhist posts, your contributions will be more than welcome. We need some new blood afround here.

Namaste

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2011
    "New blood"? Are you serious? We've been inundated with new members weekly since last winter! So much so that new mods have been hired and it's impossible to keep up with welcome greetings.

We need "General Banter". Certain types of Buddhist questions go in General Banter, as well as the cool science shows and articles. I'll defend General Banter to the end! :grr: :sawed:
  • As Hurbis quite rightly pointed out, we are not professionals, but there is a lot of good advice already on this thread. I often read threads that require help or comments of guidence, i wish to help a lot, but when it comes to actually helping I feel that my words would end up to be dismissed as I am not experienced or I feel my words would fall less than par on the thread. The intent is there though, just I quite often do not post because of this reason.. :-/
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    "New blood"? Are you serious? We've been inundated with new members weekly since last winter! So much so that new mods have been hired and it's impossible to keep up with welcome greetings.

We need "General Banter". Certain types of Buddhist questions go in General Banter, as well as the cool science shows and articles. I'll defend General Banter to the end! :grr: :sawed:
    Yes, me too! If a thread isn't of interest to you (regardless of whether it's in the G.Banter section or otherwise), then just ignore it. Simple. No need to to get rid of a whole section lol!
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Generally if we could eliminate the category of general banter, it would solve a lot of problems.
    @Bodha8
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/13374/the-return-of-general-banter#Item_16 has some tips on how to select which categories you want to look at.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    If this is the welcome wagon here....I'm attached/in love already! :) Thanks for all the positive comments! Buddhism is my game and practicing is my name, so I'll take your advice on the threads!

Namaste
    I would like it if the OP actually came back to his/her thread and commented on what has been said/suggested. IOW don't ignore the efforts that go into giving you answers.
    Ha! you did :-) - while I was typing :-)
    Hubris and Brian have pretty much already said it. Threre are a few, usually the same ones over and over, who just love to hear themselves go on and on, asking not so bright questions to bait the other members. The mods are fine and do a good job (mostly) Generally if we could eliminate the category of general banter, it would solve a lot of problems.

I think if you stick mostly to buddhist posts, your contributions will be more than welcome. We need some new blood afround here.

Namaste

Users have full control over what categories they see. If you want to remove general banter from your list of categories you see, click "categories" and remove yourself from General Banter.

Brian....the customizing has begun. Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh yes, lovely white carpets... that no one is allowed to step on. :screwy:
  • Thanks for the info, the Dear Abby category is history.
    @Bodha8..
    “When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky” --(Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Step on them by all means, but wipe your feet before you do. ;)
  • Nor does your maiden aunt, but she does keep a tidy home! :p
    Too late. :D
  • Thanks for the info, the Dear Abby category is history.
    You blocked the wrong one. It's the "members only" category. ;)

This may be a "freshman" question..but..can people be blocked?
    Not currently a feature in Vanilla. Sorry.
    Thanks for the answer
    edited December 2011
    So I notice.
    Frequently.

:rolleyes:
    If I may be so bold, this is not always a good idea.
    First of all, it tends to lead to highly disjointed threads, and secondly, you read a blocked person's comments if they're quoted by someone else, anyway.

Thirdly, if you need to block a person, is it they who are weak-willed - or you?

Federica....That is true. All three. Did'nt take me too long to realize the lesson after it unfolded.
    ;)
  • edited December 2011
    So I notice.
    Frequently.

:rolleyes:
    Well then, wipe your feet before entering next time. :lol:
    I 'live' here, you numty! You're the guest! :p:D
  • Indeed...
  • Where do we draw the line at help? Thats first of all.. And isn't the dharma about helping people?

The difference between heaven and nirvana (one) is that in heaven when a being comes who is suffering the beings in heaven which are full of positive feelings and emotions get bummed out. Next thing they expel that person from heaven.

But in heaven it doesn't last forever. Death comes without warning and eventually the brightest and most beautiful in heaven soon find that their beautiful raiment is faiding. They have aches and pains. And their iphone does not work anymore. It is at this time that they realize that their rebirth is uncertain as is it even uncertain what happens at death at all.

Meanwhile those who have forged heart connections with beings to liberate all beings from samsara... these beings have a reliable refuge. They can let go into the mandala of awakened beings. I don't think I will ever regret a kind word to someone who is suicidal, depressed, or has a cat that won't stop eating mice.

Chang-chup semni rinpoche
    machie pana chie jur-chik
    chiepa nyampa mepa-tang
    kongne kongdu pelwar sho.

Precious bodhicitta, may it arise in those in whom it has not yet arisen. Wherever it has arisen, may it never deteriorate but progress, ever more and more.

bodhisattva committment and vow

@federica...Gratitude. I didnt intend to keep my Aunt that busy tonight. :)
    That's what aunties do...... cup of tea? :)
    ^
    |
    --- Any significance to the face I was assigned?
    none.
    but you can change your avatar if you wish by downloading your own image of choice....
    I wasnt going to give my view....but....I do like it.

Serious with a wink, you know?
  • Not new to Buddhism. Not new to the internet. Definetly new to blogging. Any do's or dont's I should know? Cheat sheets? Are there things you would rather me not do?
    No criticism directed at the moderation. :lol:
    Not new to Buddhism. Not new to the internet. Definetly new to blogging. Any do's or dont's I should know? Cheat sheets? Are there things you would rather me not do?
    No criticism directed at the moderation. :lol:
    Not criticizing the mods was a given. I was referring to source quotes, comments, other things. Never had anyone have to tell me upfront not to criticize them.

• Never had anyone have to tell me upfront not to criticize them.
    No, that's always done via PM. :lol:
    interesting comment...considering I did'nt answer any.

• Tell the truth.
    edited January 2012
    Question for Admins/Mods:
    I would like a post of mine reviewed prior to me starting the discussion.
    What are our Sangha procedures for this? :)
    Thanks
  • For what it's worth, I read the other day something Brian (the Admin) had posted. He said that we can discuss Buddhism at any level, freely, and without fear of being ripped a new asshole for saying something someone else disagrees with or thinks is stupid. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course with this approach things can get wild and diverse and crazy; that's what they love about it.
    Question for Admins/Mods:
    I would like a post of mine reviewed prior to me starting the discussion.
    What are our Sangha procedures for this? :)
    Thanks
    You can always send it to 'Admin as a PM, and if they say it's ok, copy and paste as a new thread, in the appropriate forum....
    But generally, it's not necessary....
    However, if you think it warrants inspection, do go ahead....

what Iktomi says is spot on (I would say that - Brian said it first! :D) but even a 'liberal attitude' has to have limits...
    Put it this way - what you find is frowned upon in other forums, will probably raise an eyebrow or two here....
    I have been to a different Buddhist forum where not only are off-topic posts discouraged, they are regularly deleted, and the posters get their wrists slapped....

We honestly try to not be heavy-handed, but occasionally there will be the poster who will just push the argument a little too far, or will purposely goad, snipe, flame, troll and even swear like a trooper (there is no expletive-auto-delete function here) and they give us little option but to chuck 'em out.
    I've been here since 2005, and I think I've banned about one per year....

Mod's have their detractors, and they have their admirers....
    to be honest, I take a leaf out of Kipling's book and "Meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two impostors just the same"...
    It's a thankless task, but someone has to do it, and being human, we try our best.
    We don't always get it right, but believe me when I tell you that we mod's and Admin regularly discuss procedure, to ensure continuity....

Hope that helps. :)
  • This may be a "freshman" question..but..can people be blocked?
    Please don't block me...appologize to any member who might have been offended by my rants, potty mouth or disrespect.

I should read over the rules.
    No, people cannot be blocked, for reasons I gave above.
    there are no written rules or guidelines, other than in the post - I also posted above.
    third one in, I think....
    Fede..of course that helps.
    When has Aunt Fede not kept a tidy home AND given great advice?
    -If truth were told...Aunts always make the best tea too-

Fede....A Thankless job? I agree.
    Gratitude for all your efforts towards my practice.
    Thank-you. :)

May all beings you encounter on this forum have realization of compassion and awareness. May these beings treat you as such.

May you continue on this forum as the heart feels it right.
  • Push the argument a little too far... hmm...

Translation: I don't like where this argument is going.

Discuss freely :)